Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 282  All

Author Topic: Really bad card ideas  (Read 1865514 times)

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
Re: Really bad card ideas
« Reply #3000 on: October 06, 2014, 11:59:53 am »

*If the lowest card cost in coins is zero, use a weighted arithmetic average, where the weights are the weights of the players owning that respective card, in Newtons.

The good news is that for arithmetic weighted averages, the actual unit of weight measurement cancels out and doesn't matter.

Unless I don't understand that clause, if I weight 100 kg and I am playing against my (hypothetical) 50 kg girlfriend, the weights do matter.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #3001 on: October 06, 2014, 12:07:16 pm »

*If the lowest card cost in coins is zero, use a weighted arithmetic average, where the weights are the weights of the players owning that respective card, in Newtons.

The good news is that for arithmetic weighted averages, the actual unit of weight measurement cancels out and doesn't matter.

Unless I don't understand that clause, if I weight 100 kg and I am playing against my (hypothetical) 50 kg girlfriend, the weights do matter.

Well, first of all, 100 kg is your mass, not your weight.

His point is that if you measure the weight in a different unit, it will cancel out of the weighted average:

X = sum(w_i x_i , i=1..n) / sum(w_i, i=1..n).

Changing units is just changing the weights by a constant factor, which factors out of the numerator and denominator.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3002 on: October 06, 2014, 12:29:07 pm »

the passing from masq is positive utility. if it didn't have it, it'd be weaker. and 100 times better. that's how it should be. but it'd be weaker.

Perhaps, but "+2 cards. You may trash a card from your hand." is just so boring..
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3003 on: October 06, 2014, 12:31:01 pm »

the passing from masq is positive utility. if it didn't have it, it'd be weaker. and 100 times better. that's how it should be. but it'd be weaker.

Perhaps, but "+2 cards. You may trash a card from your hand." is just so boring..

Edge case puzzle! Find a situation where you'd rather have that version of Masq in your hand than a real Masq. I can think of a couple...
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3004 on: October 06, 2014, 01:23:38 pm »

His point is that if you measure the weight in a different unit, it will cancel out of the weighted average:

Changing units is just changing the weights by a constant factor, which factors out of the numerator and denominator.

Ah, I didn't notice that he mentioned Newtons at the end of his sentence, that makes more sense.

About the mass - weight thing, there is no difference in the end result if we assume all people are playing in the same room :P
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3005 on: October 06, 2014, 01:51:24 pm »
+1

Edge case puzzle! Find a situation where you'd rather have that version of Masq in your hand than a real Masq. I can think of a couple...

You are playing a 3-player game where you have 1 VP, the person to your right has 2 VP, the person to your left has no points at all and a Lighthouse in play and 5 Abandoned Mines in his hand (you know this because you've been tracking his deck and last turn he just played enough Hunting Parties to reveal his entire deck except for the last 5 cards that were the Abandoned Mines), your hand is a bunch of Ruined Villages and one Masq, two piles are empty and there is one Poor House left in the supply, and you have played a long Torturer chain. The person to your right couldn't gain any curses because if he did, he would have gotten a negative score and then you could have bought the Poor House (because he doesn't know that your hand is full of Ruined Villages), and that's why he discarded his entire hand. You don't want to play the original Masq because the person who has only Abandoned Mines would have to give one to the guy who wants to buy the last Poor House. Playing the simple Masq is fine, though.

Or maybe you just have a hand without any bad cards in it. You can use the simple Masq as a Moat, but with the original Masq you have to pass one and probably receive a bad card in return.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3006 on: October 06, 2014, 02:26:23 pm »
+1

Ah, I didn't notice that he mentioned Newtons at the end of his sentence, that makes more sense.

About the mass - weight thing, there is no difference in the end result if we assume all people are playing in the same room :P

But it's an issue if you're Skype-Dominioning with your buddies on the Moon. 

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #3007 on: October 06, 2014, 02:43:52 pm »
+1

Your opponent has a curse and you don't.  Your deck would be the same, but his will be better.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #3008 on: October 06, 2014, 10:01:06 pm »
+4

Is this really a puzzle that needs edge cases?  You'd rather have the non-passing version any time your hand is full of good cards.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #3009 on: October 06, 2014, 10:08:33 pm »

Is this really a puzzle that needs edge cases?  You'd rather have the non-passing version any time your hand is full of good cards.

I started posting a reply and then stopped because I realized that it must have been sarcasm. It was sarcasm, right?
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #3010 on: October 06, 2014, 10:17:48 pm »

I don't think it was. ehalc is right, that case isn't very edgy, it's quite common.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3011 on: October 07, 2014, 01:33:04 am »

I don't think it was. ehalc is right, that case isn't very edgy, it's quite common.
I thought GeoLib was referring to Gendo's post, not eHalcyon's.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #3012 on: October 07, 2014, 01:53:04 am »

I thought GeoLib was referring to Gendo's post, not eHalcyon's.

Yeah, I was. I realize now that was ambiguous.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #3013 on: October 07, 2014, 02:27:41 am »
+4

Hellscout

Action - $4

+1 Action

The cost of all cards is reduced to $0 until you play another card. Set aside your hand. Draw 4 cards, then put cards on top of your deck until there are no non-victory cards in your hand. Put the set aside cards in your hand. Trash this. Gain a card from the trash costing from $3 to $6. Put it in your hand unless you have drawn any victory cards this turn.
---------------------
The cost of this card cannot be reduced.
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +576
    • View Profile
« Reply #3014 on: October 07, 2014, 07:46:15 am »
+1

Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #3015 on: October 07, 2014, 08:03:36 am »
+1

that could be funny, except scout is not a bad card idea, it's just too weak. plus I think it has been done before. BAD POST!  :P

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3016 on: October 07, 2014, 08:04:23 am »

nooo don't upvote it >:(

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3017 on: October 07, 2014, 08:12:56 am »

that could be funny, except scout is not a bad card idea, it's just too weak. plus I think it has been done before. BAD POST!  :P
Well, it is a bad card idea.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3018 on: October 07, 2014, 08:22:35 am »
+3

Really Bad Card Idea
Types: Action
Cost: 1$
Trash a joke card from your hand. If you did, +10 VP; otherwise gain a scout joke from the trash.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3019 on: October 07, 2014, 08:22:49 am »

it's not.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3020 on: October 07, 2014, 08:25:55 am »

They can't all be the best $4 ever.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3021 on: October 07, 2014, 08:50:25 am »

it's not.
It is.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3022 on: October 07, 2014, 08:51:09 am »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3023 on: October 07, 2014, 09:03:31 am »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #3024 on: October 07, 2014, 09:42:46 am »
+5

Wabbit season!
Pages: 1 ... 119 120 [121] 122 123 ... 282  All

Page created in 0.072 seconds with 20 queries.