Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Dominion Development Update June 27, 2014  (Read 9957 times)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: Dominion Development Update June 27, 2014
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2014, 03:09:45 pm »

There's no point asking a supplier to rely on 3rd party software that they have no control over and is generally unknown to prospective customers. Making Fun need to make their own product into something good enough to bring in new customers.

Agreed, these ought to be things that don't need a third party.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2014, 03:53:41 pm »
+4

It's of course sad that all the work put into Salvager will be obsolete if they rewrite the code. On the other hand, not even Salvager can fix the stability issues we've been seeing on Goko. If the rewrite results in a more stable product, then it's worth it.

Salvager is indeed great, but this is no consideration for me. It's actually great if Salvager will be obsolete. I hope that Salvager (or something like it) won't be needed at all in the future. Making Fun would be wise to look at Salvager to see some of the features players like.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 29, 2014, 05:03:44 pm »
+2

Will we no longer have automatch? Will we no longer have a way to stack cards? Will we no longer have a log we can see at all times without to click a button to read it? Will we no longer have a prettified log that is easy to read and sorts everything by color? What about the VP counter? Will that be gone too? I'm not 100% sure I would trade stability for all of these features. Also, we now have chat on the side. We get a little ding when someone joins our games. We have a black list. We have a kingdom generator.
The intention last I heard is to replace the lobbies with something close to the automatching plan I outlined here somewhere a few months ago. The plan includes some kingdom generation and a black list.

I okay'd a VP counter; I don't know if/when on that or always-visible log/chat.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 30, 2014, 05:23:38 pm »

It's of course sad that all the work put into Salvager will be obsolete if they rewrite the code. On the other hand, not even Salvager can fix the stability issues we've been seeing on Goko. If the rewrite results in a more stable product, then it's worth it.

Agreed about stability, but the question is what features will be gone? Will we no longer have automatch? Will we no longer have a way to stack cards? Will we no longer have a log we can see at all times without to click a button to read it? Will we no longer have a prettified log that is easy to read and sorts everything by color? What about the VP counter? Will that be gone too? I'm not 100% sure I would trade stability for all of these features. Also, we now have chat on the side. We get a little ding when someone joins our games. We have a black list. We have a kingdom generator.

Hopefully, MF implements most to all of these features with the new rewrite. If not, then we might be in for another "Dark Ages," although not as bad as when Goko first came around and isotropic shut down.

This set of questions is probably worth posting to the MF forums.

Granting here that they already have my money, so it's not as though I can make a meaningful threat to leave... but we can definitely generate even more negative press.

Actually, I was thinking the same thing, and after posting here, I went straight to their forums and posted the same thing, except in bullet points.

Here is the response I got on their forum: Unfortunately, you are correct that this will be incompatible with Salvager. We don't want any kind of downgraded experience, so we will look at adding these on a case-by-case basis.

So, this seems somewhat hopeful, but I'm a little worried about the whole case-by-case basis.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.484 seconds with 21 queries.