Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14  All

Author Topic: Naxxramas cards  (Read 84486 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Naxxramas cards
« Reply #300 on: August 13, 2014, 11:09:54 pm »

Jeez... I should *not* be having this much trouble with a non-heroic boss.  WTF Grobbulus?

The non-heroic bosses this week are significantly harder - normally I pick a random deck to beat them with (which in practice is either my common-only druid or a herp derp aggro warrior), but this week I actually had to think about what deck to use. It doesn't help that Grobbulus has > 2 copies of his special card Mutating Injection.

Edit: I've been meaning to try out Weblord, but I haven't found a good reason to pick it arena. By the time I see it, I usually have some battlecry minions already, and I can't justify a 1/4 that hurts both of us equally. Seems useful in Druid decks though - it disrupts your own taunt givers if you're playing Watcher Druid, but your Ancients are fine, Keeper is fine, Druid of the Claw is fine, and it doesn't hit minions with Deathrattles.
Yeah the bosses were definitely harder this time around. I had to build a special deck for Patchwerk and Grobbulus.

But man, the Heroic bosses are a nightmare. I managed to beat all 4 of them (super yay!), but it took a few hours. They were ridiculous, at least given my limited card collection! I don't know where to begin describing the decks I used to beat the last 3 bosses without showing a full decklist.

Okay, Heroic Patchwerk is actually pretty simple: Try a twist of Freeze Mage. You now have new tools in the form of Mad Scientist, so take all the Ice Barriers/Blocks you can find, and maybe Duplicate for good measure. Also ready your Frostbolts, Ice Lances, and Mirror Images. The goal is to stall as much as possible while dropping lots of cheap minions that overall aren't too devastated by the insta-kill hero ability. The boss likes going for the face, so take advantage of the minions you can keep on the board to slowly whittle down the boss's HP.

From here on, it was all riding on luck

Grobbulus:Yeah I don't know. It started with a Lightwell that I managed to buff with PW:Shield and later taunted with Sunfury. It ended with me summoning Thaddius (yeah... and I superfluously buffed it with Divine Spirit too). Try sticking with 3 health minions to avoid slime death and heal them up when possible. Egg is still good here though. In addition to that, I used Mass Dispel at a good moment and even Velen to strenghten my position (use what you got, I guess). Holy Nova is quite good here.

Gluth: Probably the hardest of the lot. The worst part is that the weapon he uses buffs on the death of your own deathrattle minions too. That's absolutely cruel and just further limits your options. I used a variation of a Hunter UtH deck that included 2 Oozes, 2 Multishots, 2 Deadly Shots, and 2 Kill Commands (and a Hunter's Mark helped too). All of those will find use here. I think you just have to survive off the Zombie Chow until you get lucky and flip the board with an opposing Abomination at a point where Gluth doesn't have the weapon (almost surely because you destoryed it somehow). I ended up with board control by the end, with Highmane as my biggest minion. Not even sure UtH is helpful, as Unstable Ghoul (mini-abomination) makes short work of the lot.

Thaddius:Would you believe I won this on the first try, with the exact same deck I ended up using to beat Gluth? All around, this has got to be the easiest fight around just due to how badly Thaddius can screw himself over with his hero ability. The only extra challenge in Heroic is that he starts with Stalagg and Feugen. I guess I won because Hunter has good removal at fairly low mana (Deadly Shot, Kill Command, Hunter's Mark).

As an aside, I was wondering if it's worth including just Feugen (the 4/7) in a deck. The 4/7 stat balancing is fairly decent for a 5 mana minion. The opportunity cost brings it down, but the deception of making your opponent think Stalagg will follow can have subtle positive effects overall. They may save silence minions and hexes for a minion that will never come, and you don't have to worry about that lame 7/4 remaining dead in your hand.

Edit: looking online for guides, it seems Alexstraza isn't auto-nullified in this quarter, so yeah I guess Freeze Mage beats them all.
« Last Edit: August 14, 2014, 12:01:24 am by markusin »

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #301 on: August 18, 2014, 09:19:25 pm »

Patchwerk was fun.Had a similar freeze mage for Patchwerk that Markusin used, except mine revolved around stalling until I could get a Water Elemental + a taunter on the same turn. He always destroys taunters over the water elemental, so as long as I could play 1 per turn I was golden and was able to freeze him every turn with the water elemental.

About to try the other bosses -- haven't looked at any guides yet, this is the first week I'm trying to beat them on my own without looking up the answers. Should be fun!

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #302 on: August 19, 2014, 12:51:53 am »

For Heroic Patchwerk, I was really stubborn and too lazy to build a Freeze Mage deck. It definitely would have been simpler than what I did...which was Coldlight Oracle abuse. You only need to have Patchwerk draw 9 cards to kill him, or 8 cards + 9 damamge from other sources. Lots of taunters to take up hits, Acidic Swamp Ooze buys time on the early turns, hope you draw into Coldlight + Shadowsteps, and that your Coldight draws you more Shadowsteps/Pandas. Think of it as a Miracle Rogue with an entirely different Shadowstep target and way less time to get it together. Took me a couple tries, and even when I finally won I had exactly lethal with 1 life left.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #303 on: August 20, 2014, 08:55:16 am »

Much easier final time around!
Kel Thuzad bit disappointing really, though make sure you try emoting at him.
Had a bit of a shock though when trying to Alextraza the frost dragon- was this also in some other bosses?

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #304 on: August 20, 2014, 11:02:22 am »
+1

Much easier final time around!
Kel Thuzad bit disappointing really, though make sure you try emoting at him.
Had a bit of a shock though when trying to Alextraza the frost dragon- was this also in some other bosses?
Heroic Loatheb nullifies Alexstraza. Many others don't it seems.

I'm going to be so late to the party this time around. I'm on vacation for a week and still have to get 200 or so more gold to afford the final wing once I get back. When I do, it will be glorious.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #305 on: August 20, 2014, 03:13:22 pm »
+1

Is there any hope of beating Naxx wings using basic cards only? And by basic, I mean the ones you get for leveling a hero up to 10.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #306 on: August 20, 2014, 03:17:35 pm »

Is there any hope of beating Naxx wings using basic cards only? And by basic, I mean the ones you get for leveling a hero up to 10.

Maybe the early ones? they aren't super hard, but I think you're better off buying card packs if you don't have any cards.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #307 on: August 20, 2014, 03:53:35 pm »

So, how about that Paladin challenge, eh?

I don't think I'm likely to ever have Avenge... which isn't so bad, because the card sucks anyway.

http://www.reddit.com/r/hearthstone/comments/2e13wn/paladin_challenge_hatred_megathread/
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #308 on: August 20, 2014, 04:16:22 pm »

Yeah, it took me 3 tries to beat the Paladin challenge. I think the main thing that put me over the top was getting a +4 cards Divine Favor around turn 6. I also didn't see a Twisting Nether the game I won, which was really weird - I think my minions were too small/weak to trigger him drawing it.

I don't know how I feel about Avenge, but it's the only way you win that challenge - you need the attack bonus from it to trade with all your small minions.

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #309 on: August 20, 2014, 06:11:57 pm »

Huh guess I got lucky on my go through- got both Divine favours pretty nicely placed to draw quite a few cards and then a turn 8- slime ooze thing + BoK + BoM + Argent Protector!

There is no way of/ I would think it pretty tough to  beating the Heroic wings without any additional cards I'm pretty sure... (someone will probably pull it off now hah (someone with too much time)) There are common only.
This link might help?
http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2014-07-30-hearthstone-naxxramas-strategy-guide-walkthrough

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #310 on: August 20, 2014, 07:13:58 pm »

Thoughts on the final legendary prize?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #311 on: August 20, 2014, 09:17:21 pm »

Well, I tried naxxramas wing 1 the first time tonight and walked through all 3 bosses on the first try. I got Druid on the first try and rogue on the second try. I am assuming heroic isn't going to be so easy?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #312 on: August 20, 2014, 09:18:17 pm »

Forgot to mention I used a hunter deck full of low mana charges and 1 shot battle cries for fast face damage.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #313 on: August 20, 2014, 11:10:13 pm »

Forgot to mention I used a hunter deck full of low mana charges and 1 shot battle cries for fast face damage.

Aggro decks work on enough of the bosses. The heroic bosses need very specific decks. Although you may be able to do some.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #314 on: August 21, 2014, 01:40:44 am »

Got both heroics for final wing. Still need to beat heroic Grobbulus to finish Naxx though...

Sapphiron: I used Warrior. Charge minions, Nerubian Egg, Leper Gnome for creatures. Slam, Cleave, and my 1x Brawl to help clear the board. With Fiery War Axe + Death's Bite + Arcanite Reaper you have enough damage in your deck to go for clearing minions now and again. I remember this ending pretty close, but I got it on my first try.

Kel'Thuzad: Control Paladin. I only had 1 Wild Pyro and 1 Lay on Hands, but that turned out to be enough healing and clear to live until we got to fatigue. Your goal is always to clear the board here - you can't race 45 health + 20 armor. Paladin is nice for this because once he flips to his 8 cost hero power, you can stop playing big creatures and use your hero power instead while you wait to draw cards to play - he gets in this loop where he keeps using Chains to steal 1/1s. Ended with me taking 4 turns of Fatigue damage before killing him, but only took 2 tries.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #315 on: August 21, 2014, 03:15:59 am »

I did the non-heroics with commons-only decks, and that wasn't bad apart from the second-last wing. Those included non-basic cards too, granted.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #316 on: August 21, 2014, 12:52:28 pm »

Just wanted to pop on to say that Unstable Ghoul is a pretty good anti-aggro card. It effectively does two damage to any minion that kills it despite it's lackluster stats and it combos well with common cards like Amani Berserker and Acolyte of Pain. I've been running it in a mage deck with zero 1 health minions and have had good results.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #317 on: August 21, 2014, 05:36:31 pm »

just lost to thaddius :(

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #318 on: August 21, 2014, 06:03:53 pm »

Just wanted to pop on to say that Unstable Ghoul is a pretty good anti-aggro card. It effectively does two damage to any minion that kills it despite it's lackluster stats and it combos well with common cards like Amani Berserker and Acolyte of Pain. I've been running it in a mage deck with zero 1 health minions and have had good results.

It's best in control warrior were you can use its ability with armoursmith too.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #319 on: August 22, 2014, 12:47:20 pm »

Naxxramas is depressingly easy. I figured out Gothik requires a good mix of heal, silence and direct damage as well as damage buffing so I can make the spectra ls work for me. So, beat him on the second try using a Paladin deck. Went to Rivendare with the same deck just to see the new trick I had to turn and I had him beat by turn 4. Turn 1 I used Blessing of Wisdom on the center horse. Turn 2 I played Equality to drop everyone down to 1 health. Turn 3 dropped unstable ghoul. Granted the AI was screwed here anyhow but he managed to use a spell to drop the ghoul to 1 health instead of attacking 3 times but the first attack exploded the ghoul clearing all the horses. Turn 4 Hammer of Wrath finished of Rivendare.

So, yes, probably some luck there, lol, but really first time I ever see the boss and I whipped him that fast and easy?

EgorK

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #320 on: August 22, 2014, 12:51:25 pm »

Naxxramas is depressingly easy. I figured out Gothik requires a good mix of heal, silence and direct damage as well as damage buffing so I can make the spectra ls work for me. So, beat him on the second try using a Paladin deck. Went to Rivendare with the same deck just to see the new trick I had to turn and I had him beat by turn 4. Turn 1 I used Blessing of Wisdom on the center horse. Turn 2 I played Equality to drop everyone down to 1 health. Turn 3 dropped unstable ghoul. Granted the AI was screwed here anyhow but he managed to use a spell to drop the ghoul to 1 health instead of attacking 3 times but the first attack exploded the ghoul clearing all the horses. Turn 4 Hammer of Wrath finished of Rivendare.

So, yes, probably some luck there, lol, but really first time I ever see the boss and I whipped him that fast and easy?

Well, to be honest I had like 2 or 3 wipes total and only changed my zoo deck once - I used ramp druid on Saphirion

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #321 on: August 22, 2014, 01:16:12 pm »

Well, to be honest I had like 2 or 3 wipes total and only changed my zoo deck once - I used ramp druid on Saphirion

Normal mode is pretty easy. And the horsemen were one of the easiest bosses. The only normal boss I had to do more than once was Gluth.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #322 on: August 22, 2014, 01:53:40 pm »

If you don't kill heroic sephiroth by infiniting him then you're doing it the not the funnest way!

edit: saphirion, whatever the ice dragon is called

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #323 on: August 25, 2014, 04:07:25 pm »

Wait, why was everyone going crazy over the Paladin challenge? It was super easy. I think people understood you should be buffing ALL the oozes instead of just playing them because you have so many cards that synergise. Knife Jugglers, Cult master, the buffs, just that fact that it's pretty good stats anyway for a 2mana card.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #324 on: August 25, 2014, 04:22:31 pm »
+1

Wait, why was everyone going crazy over the Paladin challenge? It was super easy. I think people understood you should be buffing ALL the oozes instead of just playing them because you have so many cards that synergise. Knife Jugglers, Cult master, the buffs, just that fact that it's pretty good stats anyway for a 2mana card.

The deck only had 2 buff cards (1 Blessing of Kings, 1 Blessing of Might), and Argent Protector on just the 1/2 isn't the greatest. So, you definitely had to play Ooze by itself sometimes, which isn't that great.

My main complaints with the challenge was:
1. All your minions are small. Your largest minion was Black Knight. So, when KT starts playing bigger creatures, you're forced to 2 for 1 very often.
2. No Consecration/AoE spells to deal with the loss of card advantage. No Truesilver either. Basically, very little 2 for 1 cards in your own deck.
3. KT does have AoE (Twisting Nether) to get easy card advantage wins.

So, you only win by getting good card draw off your Divine Favors, drawing your 1x Cult Master at the right time to get more cards, and/or getting Avenge to trigger so that you actually have a big minion to play. The other challenges at least had fun, silly gimmicks - the Paladin challenge is about having an awful deck and forcing you to win with it anyways.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 [13] 14  All

Page created in 2.385 seconds with 22 queries.