Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Naxxramas cards  (Read 84425 times)

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
Re: Naxxramas cards
« Reply #200 on: July 25, 2014, 10:38:52 am »

I was pretty lucky in my first game against the first Heroic boss- I went with my Control Warrior, and the 2-8 Taunt guys got killed and gave me an alextraza and then a grom, which I promptly Inner Raged and then next turn Facelessed in turn 6 I think.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 25, 2014, 01:44:47 pm »

I was pretty lucky in my first game against the first Heroic boss- I went with my Control Warrior, and the 2-8 Taunt guys got killed and gave me an alextraza and then a grom, which I promptly Inner Raged and then next turn Facelessed in turn 6 I think.

Those 2/8 Taunt guys (Death Lord?) seem like they're going to be really inconsistent performers. Sure they'll be great against fast face decks, but playing them against anything that plans on going past 6 or 7 turn games is going to be really scary. I don't think I'll be running them ever.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: July 25, 2014, 03:24:39 pm »

Those 2/8 Taunt guys (Death Lord?) seem like they're going to be really inconsistent performers. Sure they'll be great against fast face decks, but playing them against anything that plans on going past 6 or 7 turn games is going to be really scary. I don't think I'll be running them ever.

Not to mention SW: Pain kills them and puts a strong minion on the board, since Priest runs mostly strong minions.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 25, 2014, 03:40:54 pm »

Not to mention SW: Pain kills them and puts a strong minion on the board, since Priest runs mostly strong minions.

Priest is an underplayed class, so maybe that's Blizzard's plan?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 25, 2014, 03:44:24 pm »

Priest is an underplayed class, so maybe that's Blizzard's plan?

I think it is. There seem to be lots of reasons to have Silencing now, and some of the new cards, like the 3/5 taunter and the 2/8 taunter, are both suitable targets for SW: Pain, and Maexxna too for that matter.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 25, 2014, 04:16:44 pm »

Cabal priest loves Maexxna.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 25, 2014, 05:13:03 pm »

Cabal priest loves Maexxna.
But how often it that going to turn up, or Stampeding Kodo for that matter.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 25, 2014, 05:27:58 pm »

Depends on how often people play maexxna, and how often they play priest. It's definitely a hard counter at the same mana cost.

In a related point, for a tempo priest (which is the kind of deck I'm trying to build), there are way too many cards you want at 6 mana: holy fire, cabal, maexxna, temple enforcer, sylvanas, black knight, argent commander.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 25, 2014, 06:07:32 pm »

Depends on how often people play maexxna, and how often they play priest. It's definitely a hard counter at the same mana cost.

In a related point, for a tempo priest (which is the kind of deck I'm trying to build), there are way too many cards you want at 6 mana: holy fire, cabal, maexxna, temple enforcer, sylvanas, black knight, argent commander.
I have Cabal, so I use it. For some reason, I can't get much value out of my Enforcers. I'm still experimenting with a sort of tempo priest myself. I don't have Auchenai or much else for shadow priest.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 25, 2014, 06:35:29 pm »

Kodo is pretty popular

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 25, 2014, 06:46:06 pm »

Cabal is much better than temple enforcer in typical constructes decks atm. You face a lot of zoo, and it's good for that. Temple enforcer requires you to stick a minion. Current solutions for that are Tiger and kind of watcher. Shade and loatheb will also work. Technically spectral knight will too, but you can't heal him with hero power. Once cultist shows up, there will be another card with the same effect, which might make running this type of combo worth it. Right now, temple enforcer is just great in arena and bad in constructed.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 25, 2014, 07:02:37 pm »

I for one am looking forward to our new priest overlords. Or at least, better Priest decks.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 25, 2014, 07:45:07 pm »

I for one am looking forward to our new priest overlords. Or at least, better Priest decks.
I expect them to at least see more use.

Yeah my constructed deck did better once I removed Enforcers. Still not sure why. It was part of my shift to a more solid midgame. I had included a Kodo and a Cabal, and I think Sunwalkers.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 25, 2014, 08:14:17 pm »

I expect them to at least see more use.

Yeah my constructed deck did better once I removed Enforcers. Still not sure why. It was part of my shift to a more solid midgame. I had included a Kodo and a Cabal, and I think Sunwalkers.

Well, Enforcer isn't that great by itself. You really need another creature out, and it gets the most value when your boards are around even (say a 4/4 vs a 4/4). No attack buff means you have to be able to trade with your board to kill something for free - if they made that trade first then it's more underwhelming.

I mean 6/6 is a very respectable body, but Cabal and Kodo deal with early aggression so much better.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 26, 2014, 02:32:28 pm »

Hmm, Maexxna is actually a beast. I've trying the card out with Hunter. Works well with Bestial Wrath. Competes with Savannah Highmane though. Still might be playable there.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: July 26, 2014, 05:07:10 pm »

Not sure if bug, but this can happen now:

He has 0/1 Nerub egg, you have two Knife Jugglers.
You play a minion, both Jugglers hit Nerub Egg (wasting 1 damage, essentially).
I am pretty sure that's not how it worked with Harvest Golem.
Did they stealth neft Juggler? This kind of thing now seems to happen with all minions. 1 Knife juggler can overkill a unit with say Unleash the Hounds. Was it always like that?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: July 26, 2014, 05:15:45 pm »

Zog and I noticed that Knife Juggler got stealth nerfed, he now can throw knives at dead minions if there are multiple consecutive throws, like double Knife Juggler or Murloc Tidehunter.  I doubt it's intentional.
It's on Blizzard's known issues list. (I'm not at a computer so can't give a link, sorry.)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 26, 2014, 05:21:11 pm »

I noticed they changed Ancestral Spirit to give the until and official "Deathrattle." I guess to avoid confusion with rules.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 27, 2014, 12:11:42 am »

Hmm, Maexxna is actually a beast. I've trying the card out with Hunter. Works well with Bestial Wrath. Competes with Savannah Highmane though. Still might be playable there.

I see no synergy with beastial wrath. It already kills anything and has high health...

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 27, 2014, 12:48:00 am »

I see no synergy with beastial wrath. It already kills anything and has high health...
I see plenty of giants these days. Having the option to conserve health is nice If it comes up. There's lots of other stuff Bestial wrath can do instead though.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: July 27, 2014, 08:41:26 pm »

Bestial wrath is an unplayable card right now.  Probably isn't going to change.  Sorry, but it is.  It's usually a more conditional version of ancestral healing.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: July 27, 2014, 08:47:32 pm »

Bestial wrath is an unplayable card right now.  Probably isn't going to change.  Sorry, but it is.  It's usually a more conditional version of ancestral healing.
Hunter ain't got ancestral healing. But seriously, I see it as a more conditional hunter's mark or arcane shot. I use 1 in my hunter deck, and it often leaves me with 1 less dead minion than I would have with hunter's mark arcane shot. I've been using it as a personal preference, but I didn't realize it was considered unplayable.

Edit:oh ancestry healing is the full health + taunt thing, not the revive after death thing. In that case, bestial wrath and ansestral healing are totally different. Ancestral healing doesn't do much if your minions have too low base health to survive an attack, and Hunter has lots of those.
« Last Edit: July 27, 2014, 08:53:42 pm by markusin »

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #222 on: July 27, 2014, 09:17:47 pm »

Whenever I try a one-of, I seem to end up using it to make a crocolisk painlessly remove a sarge or something.  That's just where the use case seems to wind up for me..
I've never seen it used at a high level, don't see it pop up when I get in the 1-5 ranks, so yeah, it seems to pretty unanimously get considered unplayable.  It's a lot like Giant Growth from magic, the maximum possible value is really really high, but having both a friendly minion and an enemy minion and a way to make sure they fight eachother while you have the mana to spare ends up being too many hoops, usually. 

If you use it to rescue 1/1's, it sometimes gets considered less of a value play because any /1 is in the "swipe debris" status where mortal coil, swipe, and fan can all get really high value in the process of clearing it out.  It's the reason Commanding Shout is unplayable or incredibly close to it, even though it's a cheap cantrip that can save three creatures, swipe debris is swipe debris

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 27, 2014, 10:47:40 pm »

Best case scenario for Beatial Wrath is using it to let a minion like huffer or Scavenging Hyena kill more formidable minions. I'm only around the 11-15 ranks though. Maybe my opinion of the card will change once I get to higher ranks, or once I acquire other cards to replace it with, say Flare.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 27, 2014, 11:37:46 pm »

The thing about Bestial Wrath is that it's rare that you meet all the conditions to get the full value from it. It's usually either an Abusive Sergeant or a Hand of Protection for 1 mana more, which is fine, but not great. It's kind of how Starfall is Fireball/Consecration. Anyway, it's not like it's terrible or something, but the problem is there's enough cards that are better than it that you usually don't want to run one.
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 14  All

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 21 queries.