Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Naxxramas cards  (Read 84417 times)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +532
    • View Profile
Re: Naxxramas cards
« Reply #175 on: July 24, 2014, 12:18:20 pm »

I've been using the Egg quite a bit recently and I really like it in an Ancient Watcher style deck. Silences don't activate it, but taunts and any attack buffs do. Egg would synergize well with Poison Seeds and Druid Marks, but I've been using it in a Paladin deck with various attack buffs (Dire Wolf Alpha, Blessing of Might/Kings) and Defender/Sunfury. It's not mind blowing, but I'm still tweaking the deck. I tried Paladin because I had a Paladin quest to do and it worked better than I thought it would. I even managed to use an Aldor Peacekeeper to activate it once which surprised me, but is probably only useful very situationally.

I think I'll try it in a Druid Watcher deck and see if that seems better. It seems like an okay time to try out Poison Seeds as well.

edit: wrong card name.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:20:36 pm by Jorbles »

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 24, 2014, 12:25:30 pm »

Shaman seems pretty legit to work with Eggs too.

Rockbiter/Flame Tongue Totem/Reincarnate/Ancestral Spirit (see edit) all seem like pretty good ways to get an Egg into the game, and if your Egg sticks around unactivated for awhile because of a bad draw when you eventually get Blood Lust it's an extra body.

Edit: Ancestral Healing and Ancestral Spirit seem like less good, but occasionally useful ways to get Egg into the game to be perfectly honest. Spirit is more of a way to get the Egg into the game in a better way, not an activator itself.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 12:28:33 pm by Jorbles »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 24, 2014, 12:28:19 pm »

I've been seeing a lot of Creeper. More than Egg, which surprises me for some reason. I thought Creeper was good for Hunter, but then the two 1/1s werent beasts. I've seen aggro paladins use them, which seems like the best fit. They already spam 1/1's with their hero power, this is just more minions to deal with in 1 card. I've seen Egg is Druid, which is silly because he used Mark of the Wild to be able to activate it. Also just played Priest who was running it. I beat him.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 24, 2014, 12:32:30 pm »

Do people like Maexxna? I tossed her into my Paladin deck because Taunts make her a bit more useful, but she's pretty underwhelming. Best case scenario she takes down maybe 2 big creatures, but most competent opponents won't let that happen. I could see running her in a Warrior deck maybe where you can give her charge, but I've found she usually dies or is silenced before she can do anything.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: July 24, 2014, 12:37:38 pm »

I've been seeing a lot of Creeper. More than Egg, which surprises me for some reason. I thought Creeper was good for Hunter, but then the two 1/1s werent beasts. I've seen aggro paladins use them, which seems like the best fit. They already spam 1/1's with their hero power, this is just more minions to deal with in 1 card. I've seen Egg is Druid, which is silly because he used Mark of the Wild to be able to activate it. Also just played Priest who was running it. I beat him.

I thought Creeper might be good in a beat down deck because of guaranteed board presence, but after trying it once that is clearly not it's strength. A 1/2 minion isn't enough presence for anyone to care about it and it can usually be ignored. Not really sure where this card fits in, but 3/4 of minion for 2 mana seems like it should be useful.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 24, 2014, 12:41:49 pm »

Do people like Maexxna? I tossed her into my Paladin deck because Taunts make her a bit more useful, but she's pretty underwhelming. Best case scenario she takes down maybe 2 big creatures, but most competent opponents won't let that happen. I could see running her in a Warrior deck maybe where you can give her charge, but I've found she usually dies or is silenced before she can do anything.

I'm trying her out in my Shaman deck. I thought she was underwhelming, but 8 health puts her out of most spell ranges, and if their board is empty, she threatens to kill anything they play, big or small. Basically she's a pain in the ass to kill, often I think will need eaither silencing or specific spell like SW: Pain or Hex. Even taking out thing like Yeti and Drakes is big, and allows me to more easily keep board control. And even small minions with 3 health aren't the biggest waste, since it means your other minions are free to be useful, essentially more efficiently distributing your attack power.

EDIT: Actually, do combos count as Battlecrys? If not, that could be an interesting interaction with Weblord in a tempo rogue deck. Slows down opponents, but doesn't affect your battlecrys.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2014, 01:37:56 pm by KingZog3 »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 24, 2014, 02:39:54 pm »

On another note, Spectral Knight displaces Harvest Golem as the second-best arena common neutral, behind Yeti. Being Fireball-proof is HUGE. I don't really like that they threw the Faerie Dragon effect on another minion, because that effect reduces the plays and combos available to both you and your opponent, which makes the game less interesting IMO.
I have a similar concern. Faerie Dragon's stats makes it so that pretty much every deck can muster the minion force or indirect damage to deal with it (it can't be buffed with spells either). The Spectral Knight, with its considerable stats, almost forces the other player to have some means of getting sizable minions. you don't want to decrease variety (of course, there's all sorts of new stuff with Naxxramas that I think adds variety).

The hex-proof effects is not the kind of bonus whose value that is independent of the creature's base stats. What would you guys think of a 9-mana 8/8 Legendary that had the Faerie Dragon ability? I'm actually legitimately curious if it's strong, but my initial guess is that it would be quite strong.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 24, 2014, 02:55:53 pm »
+2

i got the beast in my sights..

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: July 24, 2014, 03:23:41 pm »

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 24, 2014, 03:25:12 pm »

On a side note, I seem to suffer from noun capitalization syndrome.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 24, 2014, 06:45:01 pm »

I'm playing token hunter with the new spiderlings

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: July 24, 2014, 07:10:51 pm »

A few thoughts:

Druid -- I added two eggs and a poison seeds to my token druid deck.  Generally, it seems pretty good.  I had added a MotW for an Egg, but took it out fairly quickly.  I can activate an egg with Wrath, but generally he's AOE protection.  As for Poison Seeds, it's pretty good as mass big minion removal, and it's pretty neat with the egg.  I had a combo going where I cleared his strong board and replaced with treants, but couldn't draw a Swipe to save my life to match up with Kobold.  On a even board with egg, you get matching treants plus the 4/4 spider.  Neat.

Rogue -- the 5/5 for 4 is pretty nice.  Better than Yeti as a body.  The deathrattle is more annoying than I thought, though.  One thing I learned -- Sylvanas's deathrattle will steal your minion before it gets returned to hand by the deathrattle.  Lame.  I got Alex back in my hand once, as well.  Still, I like it.

I added the spiderlings to my warrior deck, but dropped them.

On Maexxna...I'm torn.  I've gotten good use out of her multiple times, as she's pretty good for board clearance.  In my rogue deck, which is decidedly lame anyway, I was able to Maexxna, deadly poison my hero dagger x2, blade flurry to clear the board.  And then sometimes she's just lame.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 24, 2014, 08:45:13 pm »

Rogue -- the 5/5 for 4 is pretty nice.  Better than Yeti as a body.  The deathrattle is more annoying than I thought, though.  One thing I learned -- Sylvanas's deathrattle will steal your minion before it gets returned to hand by the deathrattle.  Lame.  I got Alex back in my hand once, as well.  Still, I like it.
Only if Sylvanas was played before the spider, right?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 24, 2014, 08:52:42 pm »

Only if Sylvanas was played before the spider, right?

Dunno.  This was the case in my game, though.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 24, 2014, 09:15:03 pm »

Zog and I noticed that Knife Juggler got stealth nerfed, he now can throw knives at dead minions if there are multiple consecutive throws, like double Knife Juggler or Murloc Tidehunter.  I doubt it's intentional.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 24, 2014, 09:42:07 pm »

Zog and I noticed that Knife Juggler got stealth nerfed, he now can throw knives at dead minions if there are multiple consecutive throws, like double Knife Juggler or Murloc Tidehunter.  I doubt it's intentional.
It's on Blizzard's known issues list. (I'm not at a computer so can't give a link, sorry.)

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 24, 2014, 10:04:30 pm »

I beat the heroic mode challenges. I'm not sure how you're supposed to go about the anub' challenge. I just got lucky with double super-buffed Scavenging Hyenas.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: July 24, 2014, 11:59:39 pm »

I beat the heroic mode challenges. I'm not sure how you're supposed to go about the anub' challenge. I just got lucky with double super-buffed Scavenging Hyenas.
My general method. The 4/4s are the main problem. I used a handlock variant, since Ancient Watcher and Azure Drake are already good at clearing 4/4s, and added in some additional 4 attack minions: Yeti, Sunwalker. Also MC Tech is useful. I won first try but my luck was good.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 25, 2014, 12:34:07 am »

My general method. The 4/4s are the main problem. I used a handlock variant, since Ancient Watcher and Azure Drake are already good at clearing 4/4s, and added in some additional 4 attack minions: Yeti, Sunwalker. Also MC Tech is useful. I won first try but my luck was good.

I didn't beat it yet, but a friend told me Handlock worked well for him, and it seems to be the easiest class to beat him with.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: July 25, 2014, 02:52:06 am »

Beat the first heroic boss. Turns out a generic Zoolock deck is good enough - the trick is that the AI likes to make advantageous trades, so you go for face instead, relying on hero power to not run out of steam and hoping the AI doesn't attack you directly. It might be more consistent with an aggro warlock, since I got a bit of luck by buffing a DID to a 5/5 and drawing Doomguard turn 6 after an Abomination cleared the board.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

EgorK

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +74
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 25, 2014, 04:52:08 am »

I also just used zoo, and even played as usual and killed him on first attempt. Probably was lucky through

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 25, 2014, 07:55:15 am »

I'm trying her out in my Shaman deck. I thought she was underwhelming, but 8 health puts her out of most spell ranges, and if their board is empty, she threatens to kill anything they play, big or small. Basically she's a pain in the ass to kill, often I think will need eaither silencing or specific spell like SW: Pain or Hex. Even taking out thing like Yeti and Drakes is big, and allows me to more easily keep board control. And even small minions with 3 health aren't the biggest waste, since it means your other minions are free to be useful, essentially more efficiently distributing your attack power.

EDIT: Actually, do combos count as Battlecrys? If not, that could be an interesting interaction with Weblord in a tempo rogue deck. Slows down opponents, but doesn't affect your battlecrys.
Not sure what to think of Maexxna. Compare with Boulderfist Ogre. Maexxna has 1 extra health, which is really neat, but Boulderfist's 6 damage is usually sufficient for killing minions and threatens good face damage. Maexxna is vulnerable to weapons and silence.

So Maexxna seems better for control decks. It also trades favourably against Boulderfist, which leaves her left with 2 health and so isn't finished off by ping.

I should try her in my Warrior deck.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 25, 2014, 10:18:50 am »

I didn't beat it yet, but a friend told me Handlock worked well for him, and it seems to be the easiest class to beat him with.

Yeah, I used Handlock (my normal one has Sunwalker), kept Molten Giant on the mulligan and won easily.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: July 25, 2014, 10:22:37 am »

Yeah, I used Handlock (my normal one has Sunwalker), kept Molten Giant on the mulligan and won easily.
Heh, I don't have the cards for Handlock yet. I don't even have a single giant. I won with a Buzzard+UTH deck with some taunts here are there. I guess I got lucky.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #199 on: July 25, 2014, 10:30:34 am »

So Maexxna seems better for control decks. It also trades favourably against Boulderfist, which leaves her left with 2 health and so isn't finished off by ping.

Maexxna is a really solid 6-drop which will almost always go 2-for-1. It's kind of like Cairne, but better vs control, since it can kill stuff like Ysera. She is at least decent if unspectacular in any deck where your curve can tolerate a 6-drop with no face damage potential (i.e. 6 is not the top of your curve).
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 [8] 9 10 ... 14  All

Page created in 2.217 seconds with 22 queries.