Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14  All

Author Topic: Naxxramas cards  (Read 84485 times)

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
Re: Naxxramas cards
« Reply #100 on: July 22, 2014, 01:07:17 am »

By the way, I hate-hate-hate the design of Nerub'ar Weblord. Why does it make any sense to equally penalize minions that have nothing in common, like say Flame Imp, Earthen Ring Farseer, and Alexstrasza? At least with a card like BGH or Black Knight, there is a coherent theme among the cards they counter. Plus, cards with battlecry are often fun and interesting cards, compared to boring cards like Yeti, so why punish them?

It's also major rules confusion to me because the game is not very clear about what is a battlecry. For example, is Keeper of the Grove's effect a battlecry? It doesn't say so on the card.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: July 22, 2014, 01:21:08 am »

On another note, Spectral Knight displaces Harvest Golem as the second-best arena common neutral, behind Yeti. Being Fireball-proof is HUGE. I don't really like that they threw the Faerie Dragon effect on another minion, because that effect reduces the plays and combos available to both you and your opponent, which makes the game less interesting IMO.

I don't agree that Harvest Golem was the second best neutral common, and I definitely don't think Spectral Knight will be. The spell immunity is not nearly as important in arena as an constructed, as arena decks tend to rely more on minions anyway. I don't think Spectral Knight is even the second-best 5-drop. Mercenary and Tiger are still better.

Regarding Harvest Golem, it's worse then Crusader in arena, because there are less Pyromancers, Knife Jugglers, Earthshocks, and things with less than 3 attack as compared to constructed. As a result, Crusader is nearly as hard to kill as Harvest Golem, and more threatening. It's like the difference between Raptor and Croc.

It's also major rules confusion to me because the game is not very clear about what is a battlecry. For example, is Keeper of the Grove's effect a battlecry? It doesn't say so on the card.
I don't think it is. If it were, it would say "battlecry" on the card. Of course, I've been wrong about stuff like that before. At some point in beta (idk if it's still the case), it counted as a spell, triggering Spellbender...

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: July 22, 2014, 01:32:36 am »

I won't argue the Golem (since I don't have much opinion on what's currently 2nd-best). Hard to say about Knight vs Merc, since Merc has a better upside and worse downside, but I feel like he'll really shine in good decks facing good decks because he totally shuts down removal. The only way to kill him is to have enough on the board already to trade. Against Merc, at least you have options when your deck is crazy, such as Fireball, Polymorph, etc.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: July 22, 2014, 01:37:10 am »

By the way, what's Wailing Soul for? Silencing your minions is more often a downside than an upside. I guess he kinda combos with Watcher/Deathlord/Dancing Swords, but not all that well since he's not cheap at 4 mana.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: July 22, 2014, 01:43:39 am »

By the way, what's Wailing Soul for? Silencing your minions is more often a downside than an upside. I guess he kinda combos with Watcher/Deathlord/Dancing Swords, but not all that well since he's not cheap at 4 mana.

Also anti-freeze tech? Not all cards are good...

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: July 22, 2014, 06:44:36 am »

I don't really like that they threw the Faerie Dragon effect on another minion, because that effect reduces the plays and combos available to both you and your opponent, which makes the game less interesting IMO.

Have you ever met mr. Geist of Saint Traft? I am not that much worried about Shroud/Hexproof guys until they are 6/6 for 2.  ;D

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: July 22, 2014, 09:46:37 am »

Is anyone else worried that Kel'Thuzzad will be ridiculous with taunts on the board? It'll be even crazier if there are quality taunts like Sunwalkers and Earth Elementals. A player can be totally screwed if they don't have hard removal in that situation.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: July 22, 2014, 09:59:23 am »

Is anyone else worried that Kel'Thuzzad will be ridiculous with taunts on the board? It'll be even crazier if there are quality taunts like Sunwalkers and Earth Elementals. A player can be totally screwed if they don't have hard removal in that situation.

Yeah, I thought about that. It does seem a bit nuts, also because they didn't seem to add much silencing. Meaning Silence Priest might be a thing. Well, at least Mass Dispell will see lots of play.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: July 22, 2014, 10:23:04 am »

Hm, I'm not clear on whether Kel'Thuzzad just works on your turn, or both your turn and your opponent's turn. And if they die on your opponent's turn, does it summon them at the end of your opponent's turn, or yours? For that matter, does the effect just trigger when Kel'Thuzzad is played, or every turn? "At the end of the turn" is awful wording.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: July 22, 2014, 10:24:24 am »

But he only seems to help you when your ahead since it also helps your opponent. Like, they get the sane benefit. Of being able to trade their minions with yours. I mean, unless their board is full of crappy minions so they can't play their big ones. Unless I'm missing something... (Probably am)

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: July 22, 2014, 10:26:06 am »

Hm, I'm not clear on whether Kel'Thuzzad just works on your turn, or both your turn and your opponent's turn. And if they die on your opponent's turn, does it summon them at the end of your opponent's turn, or yours? For that matter, does the effect just trigger when Kel'Thuzzad is played, or every turn? "At the end of the turn" is awful wording.
It says end of each turn. So every turn, including opponent's turns

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: July 22, 2014, 10:27:47 am »

It reads "At the end of each turn, summon all friendly units that died this turn." I assume this means every turn, and not opponents minions. Sounds pretty good.

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: July 22, 2014, 10:29:46 am »

Somehow I missed the "friendly"...

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: July 22, 2014, 10:32:46 am »

The question is "friendly" to whom? Kel'Thuzad or the person whose turn is ending?

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: July 22, 2014, 10:39:03 am »

The question is "friendly" to whom? Kel'Thuzad or the person whose turn is ending?
I guess we'll find out in a month?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: July 22, 2014, 11:02:39 am »

I guess we'll find out in a month?

The word "friendly" on cards has always meant "friendly to this minion or the player playing this card."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: July 22, 2014, 11:44:14 am »

It reads "At the end of each turn, summon all friendly units that died this turn." I assume this means every turn, and not opponents minions. Sounds pretty good.
Are you looking at a different source? The card in the link does NOT say "each". It says "the".

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: July 22, 2014, 11:53:20 am »
+1

Are you looking at a different source? The card in the link does NOT say "each". It says "the".

http://hearthstone.gamepedia.com/Kel'Thuzad

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: July 22, 2014, 12:30:03 pm »

Kel-zu'thad seems very more win anyway, why does he excite everyone so much?

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: July 22, 2014, 01:05:15 pm »

Kel-zu'thad seems very more win anyway, why does he excite everyone so much?
Even in modest use, he's like a big version of argent protector, assuming his ability works the turn you play him. In arena, that's great. In constructed, I don't know.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: July 22, 2014, 01:27:22 pm »

Legendaries don't show up much in arena.  It's not much to talk about.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: July 22, 2014, 01:49:41 pm »

NAXX IS OUT!

AHoppy

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: July 22, 2014, 01:51:08 pm »
+1

Just because 3 card combos in Dominion don't show up that much doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about them...

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: July 22, 2014, 01:54:56 pm »

Just because 3 card combos in Dominion don't show up that much doesn't mean we shouldn't talk about them...

Indeed; wasn't there a post in the arena thread where someone lost to a deck with two Black Knights?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: July 22, 2014, 02:00:53 pm »

Indeed; wasn't there a post in the arena thread where someone lost to a deck with two Black Knights?

I lost to double Tirion + Faceless Manipulator.

Still, no point playing around it as it happens once in thousand games.
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6 7 ... 14  All

Page created in 1.781 seconds with 21 queries.