Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 44  All

Author Topic: Constructed General Discussion  (Read 270498 times)

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
Re: Constructed General Discussion
« Reply #500 on: April 21, 2015, 12:47:12 pm »

Grim Patron Warrior is so fun, and it seems pretty strong to me. Just went 8-3 from at Rank 5 with it, and that was my first time playing it.
It also very cheap dust-wise if you have the Adventures, so I'd recommend everyone trying it.

However, Blizzard should really make the animation on Grim Patron faster. You basically need to leave like half a minute to play out your turn if you summon a copule of Grim Patrons and want to attack with them.

And I went straight on to rank 2 with only 3 more losses, highest I've ever been. Total record 21-6, and at least one of these losses would have been avoidable.

People also don't seem to really know how to play against it yet, I had someone try Whirlwind+Execute on my Grim Patron.

wut. That is the worst play imaginable.

This does bring up the interesting topic of how you do play around it. I've been going with the do 3 damage strategy, where you try not to play things that do 3 damage or less in the late game against that sort of warrior. Sludge Belchers and Shieldmasters are pretty good for that, as are Healbots, Earthen Ring Farseers, SI7 Agents, and big AOE spells (not a minion, but it does a good job of undoing a big Grim Patron turn). What have you guys been doing?

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #501 on: April 21, 2015, 12:55:08 pm »

I've been killing Warriors before turn 8.  That works fine.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #502 on: April 21, 2015, 10:20:16 pm »

I'm experimenting with a Dragon Priest thing.

Is that a thing?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #503 on: April 22, 2015, 12:11:08 am »

I'm experimenting with a Dragon Priest thing.

Is that a thing?

It might be a new thing, but I think everyone is going to try Dragon Paladin first.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #504 on: April 22, 2015, 03:56:00 pm »

I tried running a previously reliable Oil Rogue deck today to satisfy the Daily and boy, the meta has shifted such that traditional Oil Rogue has no chance unless the Rogue gets great draws and the opponent gets terrible draws. I reworked the deck to be some sort of Mech Rogue that has a aggro opening board and control finishing starting with Dr Boom who i recently crafted (finally) and the wins started rolling in.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #505 on: April 22, 2015, 04:00:40 pm »

I tried running a previously reliable Oil Rogue deck today to satisfy the Daily and boy, the meta has shifted such that traditional Oil Rogue has no chance unless the Rogue gets great draws and the opponent gets terrible draws. I reworked the deck to be some sort of Mech Rogue that has a aggro opening board and control finishing starting with Dr Boom who i recently crafted (finally) and the wins started rolling in.

What changes to the meta make Oil Rogue bad?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #506 on: April 23, 2015, 09:51:26 am »

What changes to the meta make Oil Rogue bad?

The early game cannot keep up with the mounting pressure and you are dead before the finishing combos come together if ever at all. The deck is too focused on draw and forming combos and has no allowance for altering the mana curve (like mech warper can do) or maintaining persistent board presence (like shredder and golem can do).
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #507 on: April 23, 2015, 10:22:12 am »

I guess my question is what decks are beating it?

I thought one of the big selling points of Oil Rogue is to beat stuff like Mech Mage and Zoo, since you have tons of major board clear and great early removal. If Zoo is getting more popular, this should be good for Oil Rogue. I would think the only fear is that Warrior rises to beat the Zoos, and Warrior is a bad matchup.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #508 on: April 23, 2015, 05:33:41 pm »

Zoo runs like four more instances of taunts than mechmagezoo, which I think makes some difference.  It makes it so much harder to plow a dagger into a face then blade flurry it to kill stuff.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #509 on: April 25, 2015, 07:03:04 am »

Why does everyone prioritize killing my Leper Gnomes instead of my other 2/1s? I'm at Rank 10 and people still do this every time.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #510 on: April 25, 2015, 09:54:58 am »

Why does everyone prioritize killing my Leper Gnomes instead of my other 2/1s? I'm at Rank 10 and people still do this every time.

One possible reason -- to lose the 2 health sooner, so you don't waste healing that would otherwise put you over 30.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #511 on: April 25, 2015, 10:45:59 am »

What are your other 2/1s? I'd definitely kill Leper Gnome before Clockwork Gnome against hunter, for example.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #512 on: April 25, 2015, 11:03:35 am »

What are your other 2/1s? I'd definitely kill Leper Gnome before Clockwork Gnome against hunter, for example.

Clockwork Gnome, Worgen Infiltrator, Abusive Sergeant and Ironbeak Owl. Sometimes I run a Bluegill Warrior as well, but it's not in my current build. And people kill my Clockwork Gnomes before my Abusive Sergeants, too (though, that's actually a good play if they correctly suspect that I have a Divine Favor).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #513 on: April 27, 2015, 04:07:18 pm »

I played some Rogue, didn't notice a high discrepancy. I was doing just fine.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #514 on: April 27, 2015, 04:09:59 pm »

I liked some midrange dragon Palladins that I played against (I am a sucker for Palladins, though).

I am playing old deck as I didn't unlock any blackrock yet, though.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #515 on: April 28, 2015, 11:02:32 am »

I liked some midrange dragon Palladins that I played against (I am a sucker for Palladins, though).

Yeah I was hoping to try one of those myself. I did try my hand at a Shaman deck with high-health minions, removal, and Lava Shock that had some dragons in it. I think it was too vulnerable to aggro. I did learn that 5 dragons in the deck is enough to activate dragon-in-hand effects pretty reliably. So for Paladin 2 Hungry Dragons, 2 Dragon Consorts, and 1-2 big dragons (say Chromaggus) is an example of all you would need as far as dragons go to support dragon-in-hand effects.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #516 on: April 28, 2015, 12:31:18 pm »

Yeah I was hoping to try one of those myself. I did try my hand at a Shaman deck with high-health minions, removal, and Lava Shock that had some dragons in it. I think it was too vulnerable to aggro. I did learn that 5 dragons in the deck is enough to activate dragon-in-hand effects pretty reliably. So for Paladin 2 Hungry Dragons, 2 Dragon Consorts, and 1-2 big dragons (say Chromaggus) is an example of all you would need as far as dragons go to support dragon-in-hand effects.

I 5 not to be enough. 6 at least, and not activating Blackwing Technician is really bad as you lose all of your advantage.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #517 on: April 28, 2015, 12:44:21 pm »

I 5 not to be enough. 6 at least, and not activating Blackwing Technician is really bad as you lose all of your advantage.
Well, if you can have 6 or more Dragons that are useful to your deck on their own, all the more power to you. If you really want to play Blackwing Technician on Turn 3 to get the most benefit, then your deck will have to lean towards more dragons.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #518 on: April 28, 2015, 01:14:03 pm »

IMO any dragon deck should run Azure Drakes, since they're borderline good enough to run on their own. Twilight Drake is also good but competes at a heavy 4-drop spot. I'm not so sure Blackwing Tech is that horrible as a 2/4 for 3 if you miss though. Seems fine enough.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #519 on: April 28, 2015, 01:57:48 pm »

IMO any dragon deck should run Azure Drakes, since they're borderline good enough to run on their own. Twilight Drake is also good but competes at a heavy 4-drop spot. I'm not so sure Blackwing Tech is that horrible as a 2/4 for 3 if you miss though. Seems fine enough.
Well for Paladin you can get away with playing Muster for Battle on Turn 3 instead. I just find it weird to use Azure Drake for Paladin when the spell power would only help Consecration.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #520 on: April 30, 2015, 09:22:55 pm »

Any good dragon deck suggestions?  I've been working on the Priest version, which hasn't been great yet...I am trying for both synergy and theme, which is probably hurting me...

Circle of Healing x2
PW: S x2
Northshire Cleric
Twilight Whelp x2
Resurrect x2
Faerie Dragon
SW: D
Blackwing Tech x2
Injured Blademaster x2
Shadow Madness x2
Auchenai Soulpriest x2
Hungry Dragon x2
Holy Nova x2
Azure Drake x2
Cabal Shadow Priest
Dr. Boom
Rend Blackhand
Chromaggus
Alexstrasza

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #521 on: May 01, 2015, 12:48:22 pm »

@ash: This is all me talking out of my ass theory crafting, so take what you will of this, but here's what I'd do if I was trying to improve your Dragon Priest deck.

I don't think Priest will get good at dragons until the last wing opens. When that happens though, I'd revisit this deck with the following changes:
-Ditch the old Priest tricks and beef up the dragon-y-ness. I would try subbing out both CoHs, both Auchenai and both Injured Blademasters and try putting in 2 Velen's Chosen, 2 Blackwing Corruptors and 2 Dragonkin Sorcerors. The Dragonkins would help you activate the Blackwings, Whelps, Corruptors and Blackhand more regularly and be great targets for PW:S and Velen's Chosen. If the Sorcerors are underwhelming I'd sub 1 and 1 Velen's Chosen out and bring an Auchenai and a CoH back. The Corruptors are basically a Fire Elemental for 1 mana less, I expect them to be in every Dragon deck regardless of class.

-I'd also think about taking out your Faerie Dragon for a second Northshire Cleric or a Shrinkmeister. Faerie Dragons are usually played before you play cards that need them to activate and they can't be directly healed with your Hero Power or buffed with your spells. Clerics can combo with Chromag, CoH, Velen's Chosen to be pretty effective and Shrinkmeisters can combo with Cabal Shadow Priest or Shadow Madness while still being healed or buffed if necessary.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #522 on: May 01, 2015, 12:51:14 pm »

Also I'm not totally sold that Resurrect is good enough that every Priest deck wants it. You might want to sub that out instead of 1 copy of the Auchenai/CoH combo.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #523 on: May 01, 2015, 04:15:39 pm »

Ressurect I think is a card you need in a specific deck. With 3+ 1 drops I think it's too risky to have in a deck. Because it's such a late game card, the things that have died mid game are mostly low stuff, and more low stuff than big stuff even late game. I think it fits better in a classic priest which DOES run Injured blademaster and stuff like that.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #524 on: May 01, 2015, 05:50:29 pm »

Jorbles, I had the same thoughts after completing the new wing.  New version:

Circle of Healing x2
PW: S x2
Northshire Cleric x2
Twilight Whelp x2
SW: D
Velen's a Chosen x2
Blackwing Tech x2
Shadow Madness
Auchenai Soulpriest x2
Dragonkin Sorcerer x2
Hungry Dragon x2
Holy Nova x2
Blackwing Corrupter x2
Sludge Belcher
Drakonid Crusher x2
Chromaggus
Alexstrasza
Nefarian

Pages: 1 ... 19 20 [21] 22 23 ... 44  All

Page created in 0.054 seconds with 22 queries.