Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 44  All

Author Topic: Constructed General Discussion  (Read 270448 times)

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
Re: Constructed General Discussion
« Reply #475 on: April 07, 2015, 06:29:51 pm »

Ive gotten the most out of Grim Patron that anyone ever will. It included a huge frothing beserker, a warsong commander, Grim Patrons taking out Dr. Boom and Boom Bots, and a Battle Rage that drew 6 cards. All in 1 turn. So I think I'm done with Grim Patron for a while now as all situations with it now will be underwhelming.

I trust you have not actually given up so soon. I am consistently getting overwhelming wins with a Grim Patron, Warsong, Berserker and enabling spells deck.

I have not given up. I've been tinkering with different decks and I am also coming out with tons of wins. It's quite spectacular.
Do you use Thaurissan? like, to help enable out-of-hand Warsong/Patron stuff?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #476 on: April 07, 2015, 08:54:35 pm »

Ive gotten the most out of Grim Patron that anyone ever will. It included a huge frothing beserker, a warsong commander, Grim Patrons taking out Dr. Boom and Boom Bots, and a Battle Rage that drew 6 cards. All in 1 turn. So I think I'm done with Grim Patron for a while now as all situations with it now will be underwhelming.

I trust you have not actually given up so soon. I am consistently getting overwhelming wins with a Grim Patron, Warsong, Berserker and enabling spells deck.

I have not given up. I've been tinkering with different decks and I am also coming out with tons of wins. It's quite spectacular.

Yeah of course. I'm using the deck Kripp showcased, except I changed 1 inner for something else I can't remember right now. I've found it's better to avoid worgen and aim for more value from grim patron. Worgen is too specific and doesn't do enough when just played on it's own.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #477 on: April 07, 2015, 09:05:44 pm »

Yeah of course. I'm using the deck Kripp showcased, except I changed 1 inner for something else I can't remember right now. I've found it's better to avoid worgen and aim for more value from grim patron. Worgen is too specific and doesn't do enough when just played on it's own.
Yeah I can see that. Worgen needs a bunch of combo cards to come together, but Patron can claim a board with just Warsong.

I didn't see Kripp's deck. I haven't had much time to keep up with the Hearthstone scene.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #478 on: April 07, 2015, 10:37:12 pm »

Yeah I can see that. Worgen needs a bunch of combo cards to come together, but Patron can claim a board with just Warsong.

I didn't see Kripp's deck. I haven't had much time to keep up with the Hearthstone scene.

I doubt it's optimal, but it has its moments. I won like 6-7 games in a row using it, and now I'm winning about 50-50. It's a lot of fun. Grim Patron is good, just not good enough to carry an entire deck based around it. But for sure not garbage. It's surprisingly effective.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #479 on: April 08, 2015, 09:14:27 am »

The main thing about Grim Patron that it eats face hunters for breakfast. My deck is built around the Patrons and Frothing Berzerkers. I'd say 50-50 win rate is about right. The only card I am seriously looking at swapping out at the moment is Rampage. It rarely connects with Patron in a meaningful way, more often keeps a damaged Belcher together and most often is a dead card in my hand running two of them. Problem is nothing seems to be a good fit, at least not class-specific.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #480 on: April 08, 2015, 04:47:16 pm »

The main thing about Grim Patron that it eats face hunters for breakfast. My deck is built around the Patrons and Frothing Berzerkers. I'd say 50-50 win rate is about right. The only card I am seriously looking at swapping out at the moment is Rampage. It rarely connects with Patron in a meaningful way, more often keeps a damaged Belcher together and most often is a dead card in my hand running two of them. Problem is nothing seems to be a good fit, at least not class-specific.

Wild Pyro, Commanding Shout are both good options that are better than Rampage. Commanding Shout draws a card, and can often but really good with Wild Pyro and Grim Patron. Or just grim patron on its own.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
« Reply #481 on: April 09, 2015, 12:47:52 pm »

Warrior already eats facehunters for breakfast.  Yes, there's a saturated amount of facehunter, but you should just run your armorsmiths and shieldblocks and double up on sludge belchers and you should destroy them. 

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #482 on: April 09, 2015, 01:14:47 pm »
+1

Speaking of Warrior, I just realized Alex+Charge is a thing again with Emperor...

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #483 on: April 09, 2015, 01:46:45 pm »

And now you only need an.. Arcanite reaper

Twistedarcher

• Witch
  • Respect: +177
    • View Profile
« Reply #484 on: April 09, 2015, 02:31:41 pm »

grim patron is incredibly dumb to play against. incredibly. i have not been this frustrated since uth + buzzard.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #485 on: April 09, 2015, 06:55:49 pm »

grim patron is incredibly dumb to play against. incredibly. i have not been this frustrated since uth + buzzard.

I think it's pretty interesting. I mean, if they just drop it you can usually play around it or kill it outright. But it's similar to playing against Force/Savage Roar. It just happens, like the Grim Patron combos. Grim Patron is worse than Force/savange for sure.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #486 on: April 10, 2015, 02:13:39 pm »

I have not lost to this deck at all, I guess this is an experience I need to have.  I saw one grim patron and killed it outright so far, that's it.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #487 on: April 10, 2015, 04:39:32 pm »

I have not lost to this deck at all, I guess this is an experience I need to have.  I saw one grim patron and killed it outright so far, that's it.

I see a lot players using it terribly. It's a good deck, but not super competitive. It falls short on consistency and can be slow if you don't hit your draw cards.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #488 on: April 11, 2015, 12:07:00 am »

I see a lot players using it terribly. It's a good deck, but not super competitive. It falls short on consistency and can be slow if you don't hit your draw cards.
But boy when you hit a Warsong Commander-Grim Patron-Commanding Shout turn does it ever pay off.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #489 on: April 11, 2015, 09:30:12 am »

But boy when you hit a Warsong Commander-Grim Patron-Commanding Shout turn does it ever pay off.

Edge case poison blade blade flurry.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #490 on: April 17, 2015, 12:34:28 am »

I'm having tons of success with an "old school" zoo deck that I earlier mentioned was the best home for the new egg. 
« Last Edit: April 17, 2015, 12:37:02 am by popsofctown »

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #491 on: April 20, 2015, 07:58:12 pm »

Grim Patron Warrior is so fun, and it seems pretty strong to me. Just went 8-3 from at Rank 5 with it, and that was my first time playing it.
It also very cheap dust-wise if you have the Adventures, so I'd recommend everyone trying it.

However, Blizzard should really make the animation on Grim Patron faster. You basically need to leave like half a minute to play out your turn if you summon a copule of Grim Patrons and want to attack with them.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #492 on: April 20, 2015, 10:13:19 pm »
+1

I suspect the next patch will feature a speed up on the animation. What I don't get is why they keep making all the animations slow. They know it's going to interfere with playing, especially with card like Grim Patron.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #493 on: April 20, 2015, 11:51:41 pm »

I'm having tons of success with an "old school" zoo deck that I earlier mentioned was the best home for the new egg.

Imp gang boss is a pretty solid card to make zoo attractive again. Harder to kill than a harvest golem and its a demon so you can use demonfire maybe..

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #494 on: April 21, 2015, 12:17:25 am »

Imp gang boss is a pretty solid card to make zoo attractive again. Harder to kill than a harvest golem and its a demon so you can use demonfire maybe..

Imp Gang Boss is even more annoying to deal with that I originally suspected. I don't think it'll make Zoo good enough to be truely competitive, but perhaps.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #495 on: April 21, 2015, 12:44:53 am »

Yeah gang boss is pretty cool.  I don't think you can use demonfire though.  The thing that always made demonfire good is that it's a 2/2 charge minion, and charging onto face can get you earlier kills.  Between soulfire being gone and Sludge Belcher existing early kills are just not really doable, so you lose that upside.  It's along the same wavelength as no one ever running leper gnome ever in zoo nowadays.  You have to try to stick super hard to the board control strategy and sprinkle even less of facerace philosophy with modern zoo.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #496 on: April 21, 2015, 09:18:34 am »

Yeah gang boss is pretty cool.  I don't think you can use demonfire though.  The thing that always made demonfire good is that it's a 2/2 charge minion, and charging onto face can get you earlier kills.  Between soulfire being gone and Sludge Belcher existing early kills are just not really doable, so you lose that upside.  It's along the same wavelength as no one ever running leper gnome ever in zoo nowadays.  You have to try to stick super hard to the board control strategy and sprinkle even less of facerace philosophy with modern zoo.
My hope is that Imp Gang boss along with the new Warlock spell that does 2 damage to all non-demons will make Demonlock more viable, or at least more interesting.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #497 on: April 21, 2015, 10:47:25 am »

I don't know about the damage to non-demons thing, but I think demonlock seems pretty appealing with Mistress of Pain and Imp Gang Boos getting nice benefits from Demonfire and Demonheart and Voidcaller just being straight-up strong.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #498 on: April 21, 2015, 12:29:52 pm »

There's also Imp-Losion another extremely annoying method of creating a bunch of little demons while killing something.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #499 on: April 21, 2015, 12:37:15 pm »

Grim Patron Warrior is so fun, and it seems pretty strong to me. Just went 8-3 from at Rank 5 with it, and that was my first time playing it.
It also very cheap dust-wise if you have the Adventures, so I'd recommend everyone trying it.

However, Blizzard should really make the animation on Grim Patron faster. You basically need to leave like half a minute to play out your turn if you summon a copule of Grim Patrons and want to attack with them.

And I went straight on to rank 2 with only 3 more losses, highest I've ever been. Total record 21-6, and at least one of these losses would have been avoidable.

People also don't seem to really know how to play against it yet, I had someone try Whirlwind+Execute on my Grim Patron.
Pages: 1 ... 18 19 [20] 21 22 ... 44  All

Page created in 0.146 seconds with 22 queries.