Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 44  All

Author Topic: Constructed General Discussion  (Read 270487 times)

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
Re: Constructed General Discussion
« Reply #200 on: September 20, 2014, 03:30:17 pm »

Generally you beat Ysera by not giving them a turn they can afford to spend 9 mana to play her. She affects the board not at all the turn you play her, so they basically skip a turn. If your board is threatening enough, then she never gets played because then you'll just win. It's not like they can play Flamestrike and Ysera in the same turn.

Put another way, if your opponent is in a position where they can play Ysera without losing in the next 1 or 2 turns, the game was over anyways. Ysera's a card you only put in control decks, if they managed to not die until then you're either running a control deck yourself or you failed to get through their defense.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: September 20, 2014, 06:33:09 pm »
+1

So I just went 5-0 in unrated using the following plain ridiculous Shaman deck:  http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=72631/ridiculous-deathrattles

Is unrated easier than ladder in general?  Did I get a lucky streak?  Did I find some untapped gem of potential?  Thoughts?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #202 on: September 20, 2014, 06:39:40 pm »

So I just went 5-0 in unrated using the following plain ridiculous Shaman deck:  http://www.hearthhead.com/deck=72631/ridiculous-deathrattles

Is unrated easier than ladder in general?  Did I get a lucky streak?  Did I find some untapped gem of potential?  Thoughts?

Unrated is quite easier in my experience.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #203 on: September 20, 2014, 09:46:01 pm »

Unrated is quite easier in my experience.

Yeah, a lot of people try out weird/new deck ideas in unrated, and people who are nervous about losing rank play weak decks there to grind quests. So the quality of the decks are not as solid, but there are good decks there, just not as regularly as in ranked.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #204 on: September 20, 2014, 10:35:13 pm »

I don't know if there's actual official info confirming it, but: I believe that unranked uses its own MMR, so the quality of opponents you get matched against depends on how well you've performed in unranked in the past.

The best way to judge the quality of a deck (short of something elaborate like, say, having dedicated practice partners), IMO, is to play it in ranked play until you stabilize at roughly 50% winrate. If all you want to know is whether it's better than the previous deck you were playing in ranked, and you had stabilized with that deck, then you can just play a few games and see whether your winrate is well over 50% (good sign), well under 50% (bad sign), or somewhere near 50% (inconclusive). Of course this doesn't account for strength in different matchups, but you need literally hundreds of games to get statistically useful results in even the common matchups.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #205 on: September 21, 2014, 12:42:43 am »

Of course this doesn't account for strength in different matchups, but you need literally hundreds of games to get statistically useful results in even the common matchups.

I think this is really the main trouble with testing a deck by playing it on the ladder--you do need literally hundreds of games to say "yeah, this is better than 50/50."
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #206 on: September 21, 2014, 02:02:37 am »

Deathrattle Shaman is actually not that crazy of a deck. It does get so much better if you have Cairne + Sylvanas though.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #207 on: September 21, 2014, 02:41:12 am »
+1

Of course this doesn't account for strength in different matchups, but you need literally hundreds of games to get statistically useful results in even the common matchups.

I think this is really the main trouble with testing a deck by playing it on the ladder--you do need literally hundreds of games to say "yeah, this is better than 50/50."
Decks that are both fundamentally good and well positioned in the ladder meta can get 70%+ winrates, so it doesn't take all that many games to observe that. It's just when you want to know specific matchup strengths and weaknesses that it becomes hard to judge, especially for archetypes that you don't face very often on ladder.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #208 on: September 21, 2014, 09:57:32 am »

Deathrattle Shaman is actually not that crazy of a deck. It does get so much better if you have Cairne + Sylvanas though.

That would certainly make things more ridiculous.  Oh, you let Cairne stay on the board?  Ancestral Spirit, Reincarnation... yeah.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #209 on: September 21, 2014, 12:19:51 pm »

That would certainly make things more ridiculous.  Oh, you let Cairne stay on the board?  Ancestral Spirit, Reincarnation... yeah.

I'm using a shaman death deck, but I don t run ancestral spirit. It's too slow. Reincarnate is just a tool to activate egg, sylvannas and kelthuzad.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #210 on: September 24, 2014, 12:54:00 am »
+2

Meanwhile, in Constructed, I just got to pull off the Auchenai Soulpriest/Baron Rivendare/2xZombie Chow/CoH combo...

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #211 on: September 24, 2014, 12:55:34 am »
+1

Meanwhile, in Constructed, I just got to pull off the Auchenai Soulpriest/Baron Rivendare/2xZombie Chow/CoH combo...

Your life is complete. You can stop playing hearthstone now.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #212 on: September 24, 2014, 06:31:46 pm »

I'm using a shaman death deck, but I don t run ancestral spirit. It's too slow. Reincarnate is just a tool to activate egg, sylvannas and kelthuzad.

I just finished Naxx so I could attempt something similar. I wanted Kel before I built it. I don't have Sylvanas, but I do have Cairne. Do you mind if I ask what you run? I can't decide whether Chargers and Shielders are good enough to replace some Deathrattlers in this type of deck.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #213 on: September 25, 2014, 11:33:19 am »

Okay here's my shot at a Shaman Deathrattler deck:

2 x Earthshock
1 x Lightning Bolt
2 x Rockbiter
2 x Undertaker
1 x Ancestral Spirit
2 x Reincarnate
2 x Flametongue Totem
2 x Haunted Creeper
2 x Nerubian Egg
2 x Lightning Storm
2 x Harvest Golem
1 x Mana Tide Totem
1 x Baron Rivendare
1 x Bloodlust
2 x Sludge Belcher
1 x Argent Commander
1 x Cairne Bloodhoof
2 x Fire Elemental
1 x Kel'Thuzad

So far it's having good results, better than my Secrets deck anyways (for whatever that's worth). It's got a couple different viable win conditions.
1) Using deathrattlers, eggs and totems establish early board control. Get 4-6 small minions out before opponents have had a chance to draw into AoE and wipe them out with a well timed BLARGLEGARGLE (Bloodlust). (I wasn't sure this was viable when I started the deck, but I've pulled it off 3 times now and almost had lethal in a couple other games unbeknownst to my opponents.)
2) Have Mid-range threats (Rivendare/Sludge Belchers/Cairne/Fire Elementals) eat minion removal spells and then drop Kel'Thuzad to have a turn of trading while I've got a death rattler or two out building on that momentum to a win (this has been less relevant, but has been effective once or twice.)

This deck has lost when opponents have had heavy amounts of Silence in their deck or drawn board clear when I'm out of 1-3 drop minions in hand. For instance, once I got out late-gamed by a Priest who got both his Auchenai, CoH combos off, had a Rag I had to throw my Bloodlust at to remove, and had a Mass Dispel and a Silence to play. He also stole a copy of my K'T :( which I killed with the Argent+something. I got him to start fatiguing, but couldn't draw enough to clear his board.

Anyhow thoughts? I'm not sure exactly what to do with Rivendare when I have him in hand, but he just seems like a good idea in this deck.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #214 on: September 25, 2014, 02:10:57 pm »

I just finished Naxx so I could attempt something similar. I wanted Kel before I built it. I don't have Sylvanas, but I do have Cairne. Do you mind if I ask what you run? I can't decide whether Chargers and Shielders are good enough to replace some Deathrattlers in this type of deck.

I'm not on my laptop which has Hearthstone installed, but off the top of my head:

1mana:
Earthshockx2
Rockbiter Weaponx2
Lightning Boltx2

2mana:
Nerubian Eggx2
Haunted Creeperx2 (This is questionable but hey, I don't know what is better)
Reincarnatex2
Flametonguex2

3mana:
Lightning Storm x2
Harvest Golemx2
Hex2

4mana:
Gnomish Inventor x2

5mana:
Azure Drakex2
Sludge Belcherx2

6mana:
Fire elementalx2
Sylvannas Windrunner (you can use Cairne. I don't have him)

8mana:
Kel Thuzad

Actually that's it, all 30 cards. Changes can be made if this doesnt work for you. Maybe you think haunted Creeper would be better as Undertakers, or ancestral spirit is good. They never came in handy for me, and Creeper works really well with Flametongue. Gnomish Inventor is for card draw. It's decent at 4, but this deck needs to draw to not go into top decking too fast.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #215 on: September 25, 2014, 02:14:34 pm »

Anyhow thoughts? I'm not sure exactly what to do with Rivendare when I have him in hand, but he just seems like a good idea in this deck.

I didn't put Rivandare in my deck simply because I don't like his stats, and he's yet another card that is dependent on other minions being out. I also don't run Bloodlust for this reason, as very often it can end up not being very helpful. I also don't run mana tide though, but I feel that your deck may run into top decking issues. Perhaps not, but I've found Shaman to need Drakes or something giving +card to keep up hand size for most of the game.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #216 on: September 25, 2014, 07:39:07 pm »

I didn't put Rivandare in my deck simply because I don't like his stats, and he's yet another card that is dependent on other minions being out. I also don't run Bloodlust for this reason, as very often it can end up not being very helpful. I also don't run mana tide though, but I feel that your deck may run into top decking issues. Perhaps not, but I've found Shaman to need Drakes or something giving +card to keep up hand size for most of the game.

I'm still not sure about him, as you say his stats are terrible. I always hold onto him in hopes of comboing him with something, which has mixed results. Some games I've had to toss him out for no purpose other than to draw out a spell or used him for a play involving 4 Spectral Spiders that immediately get destroyed with a single card and I've wondered what use he is.

But when he's good man is he good. He can make up for his lacklustre stats in weird combos involving Eggs or Ancestral Spirit or both! One game Rivendare got me a board that was Egg, Egg, Nerubian, Nerubian, Rivendare, which was so satisfying that I immediately forgave him previous games that he was not particularly useful in.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #217 on: September 25, 2014, 07:51:11 pm »

Mana Tide Totem is one of my favourite card drawers. I like drakes, but I wanted something that could be played at the same time as something else so opponents have to pick between removing the card drawer or something else. They're both good though. Reincarnate and Ancestral Spirit are actually filling the role of pseudo card draw in this deck. Reincarnate can generate a copy of a death rattlers token which on the strong ones is like getting a great deal on a card (2 mana for a 4/4 is pretty common).

Ancestral Spirit is pretty strong to play on key cards. If you can get it on any of the 5+ drops (not always possible) it's a huge advantage. If you can't you can still probably get it on a strong card that usually attracts removal like Mana Tide or Flame Tongue this often forces people to try and get rid of smaller threats they can actually deal with entirely first ignoring the big totems entirely letting you get a lot more value out of them. This is probably because they're misplaying, but it's such an unfamiliar situation that people don't always know how to handle it.

I have no regrets running a single Bloodlust in this deck. I'd actually recommend you try it. Deathrattlers + Totems can be really annoying to remove. Giving you more opportunities to burst someone down with Bloodlust than is common in more traditional shaman decks run. People aren't running Hunter much anymore so the biggest counter to having a big board of weak minions is less common.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #218 on: September 25, 2014, 07:54:04 pm »

I'm still not sure about him, as you say his stats are terrible. I always hold onto him in hopes of comboing him with something, which has mixed results. Some games I've had to toss him out for no purpose other than to draw out a spell or used him for a play involving 4 Spectral Spiders that immediately get destroyed with a single card and I've wondered what use he is.

But when he's good man is he good. He can make up for his lacklustre stats in weird combos involving Eggs or Ancestral Spirit or both! One game Rivendare got me a board that was Egg, Egg, Nerubian, Nerubian, Rivendare, which was so satisfying that I immediately forgave him previous games that he was not particularly useful in.

I use Rivendare in my Naxx zoo, and I don't have that many deathrattle minions.  He's mainly a cheap combo piece for the eggs, of course, but I find he also serves as a quasi-taunt since opponents usually want to remove him right away.  So I use him as a delay tactic where my opponent has to skip a turn to remove him.  I rarely save him for combos anymore.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #219 on: September 25, 2014, 11:59:14 pm »

I use Rivendare in my Naxx zoo, and I don't have that many deathrattle minions.  He's mainly a cheap combo piece for the eggs, of course, but I find he also serves as a quasi-taunt since opponents usually want to remove him right away.  So I use him as a delay tactic where my opponent has to skip a turn to remove him.  I rarely save him for combos anymore.

Which is kindof the same as a Mogadishu Warden then and that's a card I think is pretty bad. I don't think he's worth it unless you're getting some value out of Deathrattles.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #220 on: September 26, 2014, 12:19:59 am »

Which is kindof the same as a Mogadishu Warden then and that's a card I think is pretty bad. I don't think he's worth it unless you're getting some value out of Deathrattles.

It's exactly the same as a Warden.  I actually Sunfury Protector'd him when he got silenced in a recent game, so he was an actual Warden.

I mean, when I pull off the Egg/Egg/Pit Terror Combo for a 3/7 Terror and 4 4/4 nerubians, that's amazing.  But the cards don't always line up that way.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Jorbles

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #221 on: September 26, 2014, 10:46:13 am »

I mean, when I pull off the Egg/Egg/Pit Terror Combo for a 3/7 Terror and 4 4/4 nerubians, that's amazing.  But the cards don't always line up that way.

Yeah, but worst case scenario your Void Terror is a 3/3 for 3 mana. Still a decent card. The fact that it can eat your eggs, spiders or whatever minion you cast Power Overwhelming on is a bonus.

I'd way rather have a naked Void Terror than a Baron Rivendare with nothing to deathrattle (A 4-drop card that I should note would trade evenly or unfavourably with many 3 drops). If you're not getting something out of his deathrattle bonus consistently, you'd probably be better served by a stronger 4 drop. Playing him for nothing but his stats is an unfortunate necessity sometimes, I think he needs to be kept for some sort of deathrattle bonus combo if he's going to pull his weight in the deck.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #222 on: September 26, 2014, 11:05:35 am »

So, I have a question about this deck again. The list is slightly different now, I have a second Divine Favor instead of the Harvest Golem and a second Owl instead of the Bluegill, but mostly similar. I've been thinking of crafting a Leeroy for the deck, but since they gave him the nerf, I guess he's still pretty good? Or not worth it? Can the $3 4/2 Charge guy that gives the opponent a mana crystal replace Leeroy?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #223 on: September 26, 2014, 11:08:49 am »

So, I have a question about this deck again. The list is slightly different now, I have a second Divine Favor instead of the Harvest Golem and a second Owl instead of the Bluegill, but mostly similar. I've been thinking of crafting a Leeroy for the deck, but since they gave him the nerf, I guess he's still pretty good? Or not worth it? Can the $3 4/2 Charge guy that gives the opponent a mana crystal replace Leeroy?

I think you generally want to run 2 wilfriders, as well as the Arcane Golems. Maybe replace 1 arcane with Leeroy if you want, but this deck doesn't feel aggressive enough. Worgen infiltrator isn't super aggressive, and harvest Golem is value, not aggression. SSC is ok I guess, I'm not too sure what else to put the spot though.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #224 on: September 26, 2014, 11:50:23 am »

I think you generally want to run 2 wilfriders, as well as the Arcane Golems. Maybe replace 1 arcane with Leeroy if you want, but this deck doesn't feel aggressive enough. Worgen infiltrator isn't super aggressive, and harvest Golem is value, not aggression. SSC is ok I guess, I'm not too sure what else to put the spot though.
I don't run the Golem anymore. What would you play instead of Infiltrator?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free
Pages: 1 ... 7 8 [9] 10 11 ... 44  All

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 21 queries.