Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 44  All

Author Topic: Constructed General Discussion  (Read 270541 times)

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
Re: Constructed General Discussion
« Reply #125 on: August 06, 2014, 06:43:53 pm »

I only have 1/4 giants, unforunately.
I also really rally want to get Ancient of Lores. And I have such bad luck with epics, I opened only 1 of 4 giants and 0 of 4 Ancients, but I believe 4 or 5 freaking Spellbenders.

I've opened 3 Ancients of Lore but zero War.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 06, 2014, 06:50:34 pm »

I also really rally want to get Ancient of Lores. And I have such bad luck with epics, I opened only 1 of 4 giants and 0 of 4 Ancients, but I believe 4 or 5 freaking Spellbenders.

I mean, that's good - you can substitute Ironbark Protector for War if you need a fat taunt.

My epic luck is weird, but I've mostly gotten good ones - 2 Blood Knights, 1 Shadowform, Sea Giant. I'm still missing Wild Pyromancer though...
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 06, 2014, 10:21:44 pm »

Lore >> War. Basically every Druid deck uses 2x Lore. War is only if you're playing a high curve ramp deck.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 06, 2014, 10:26:56 pm »

Bonus (beyond doing 1 damage)
Mortal Coil: Draw a card.
Elven Archer: Put a 1/1 on the board.
Note: Coil's bonus is basically Warlock's hero power, and Archer's bonus basically Paladin's hero power. Warlock's hero power is better, but since you're playing Warlock, you already have access to it.
Edge: About even.

I feel like this is hugely advantageous in Coil's favor.  For example, Murloc Tidehunter is a 2/1 but if you swapped its power from "Summon a 1/1" to "Battlecry: draw a card" it loses an attack and turns into Novice Engineer.
I agree that in general drawing a card is much better than summoning a 1/1, but for Warlock specifically, there's an argument that the edge isn't as much (although I've come around to agreeing that drawing is still a bit better), for two reasons: one is that you can already draw cards using your hero power, so you're not as card-limited as other classes; the other is that you may want to clear cards from your hand to play Doomguard or Soulfire.

I was thinking about this today on the bus.  It seems to me that Elven Archer is basically

Mage Hero Power + Paladin Hero Power for 1 mana.  Put that way, it seems very strong.

I know the argument between EA and MC is draw a card vs. token, but there are other ways to frame it, I think.

If you view MC is a minion-only limited mage power + Warlock Hero Power, it looks arguable either way.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 06, 2014, 10:30:23 pm »
+1

^Well Coil is more like Mage Power + Warlock Power + Warrior Power...

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 06, 2014, 10:36:06 pm »

^Well Coil is more like Mage Power + Warlock Power + Warrior Power...

How is Coil like +2 armor?

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 06, 2014, 10:38:24 pm »

Warlock Power + Warrior Power = net no health change and draw a card.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: August 07, 2014, 12:03:39 pm »

I just played a game against a control Warlock deck and it was really strange. I thought he had a Zoo deck with a bad mulligan when he opened with a solo Void Walker with no followup, but then he transitioned into neutral control cards. (Yeti, SSC, Senjin Shieldmaster, Gnomish Inventors)

The game itself ended up going really long with our minions just smashing into each other trying to eke out a small advantage. We were both drawing plenty of cards, him through his ability and me through a protected Mana Tide Totem and a Gadgetzan. We just kept trading cards without ever getting an advantage (at one point in the early game I would have probably lost if I hadn't summoned a lucky +1 Spellpower Totem before a Lightning Storm) until he made a mistake and left a Flame Elemental that he could have killed on the board. I followed it up with another creature and a Defender of Argus. He wiped the board with two Hellfires (who plays two Hellfires!?), but it also wiped his board presence and I was able to quickly take board control then.

Has anyone ever seen a Warlock deck like this? It gave my Shaman tempo/control deck a run for its money, but that was at least partially card draw luck.

Edit: I should add, I constantly had no idea what he was going to play next which made the game require significantly more grey matter than usual.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 07, 2014, 12:23:57 pm »

I just played a game against a control Warlock deck and it was really strange. I thought he had a Zoo deck with a bad mulligan when he opened with a solo Void Walker with no followup, but then he transitioned into neutral control cards. (Yeti, SSC, Senjin Shieldmaster, Gnomish Inventors)

The game itself ended up going really long with our minions just smashing into each other trying to eke out a small advantage. We were both drawing plenty of cards, him through his ability and me through a protected Mana Tide Totem and a Gadgetzan. We just kept trading cards without ever getting an advantage (at one point in the early game I would have probably lost if I hadn't summoned a lucky +1 Spellpower Totem before a Lightning Storm) until he made a mistake and left a Flame Elemental that he could have killed on the board. I followed it up with another creature and a Defender of Argus. He wiped the board with two Hellfires (who plays two Hellfires!?), but it also wiped his board presence and I was able to quickly take board control then.

Has anyone ever seen a Warlock deck like this? It gave my Shaman tempo/control deck a run for its money, but that was at least partially card draw luck.

Edit: I should add, I constantly had no idea what he was going to play next which made the game require significantly more grey matter than usual.

I've lost to decks that to completely defy all normal standards. There was a warrior deck that played Goldshire Footman, along with all kinds of weird low cards that no one uses, then two Brawls (what?) and some big minions, I think a Ragnaros. My Shaman deck, that has taken me to rank 8 one season, just couldn't handle it. I couldn't take into account a second brawl because I've never seen someone run two, especially when they start spamming crappy small minions at the beginning.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 07, 2014, 12:28:59 pm »

Maybe he was playing the best Warlock deck he could make with all free cards.

(who plays two Hellfires!?)
A lot of people...

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: August 12, 2014, 05:41:55 pm »

Got ~3200 dust. (Can get aditional 1200 by disenchanting Nozdromu, Beast and Millhouse, but I dont wanna  :-[)

What to get?
I lean towards Cairne and Ragnaros.

Here is what I am missing:
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1wQ-8hbo9DEUUEoASZI-ccuTCTUajWiplrgqCuO1Dy2A/edit#gid=0

I think I'll just wait until Naxx ends, for meta to stabilize and than see what I like the most. Seems most reasonable.

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: August 16, 2014, 01:22:35 am »

His board: Northshire Cleric, Nerubian Egg, Defender of Argus (2/2)
My board: Sylvanas (4 health and Ancestral Spirit)

His previous turn: Heal my Sylvanas from 2 to 4 to prevent me from suiciding it into his Argus.
My turn: Play Leeroy and Baron Rivendare. Kill the Egg with Leeroy so he summons a 4/4 Nerubian, suicide my Sylvanas into the Nerubian to steal his Cleric and Defender and summon two Sylvanases. Add insult to injury by getting a Healing Totem and drawing a card via his Cleric.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: August 20, 2014, 06:02:12 pm »

I recently switched from midrange Hunter to something akin to Amaz's Control Paladin list:
http://i.imgur.com/yr3cY3Q.png

I don't have Harrison nor any Naxx cards so I replaced them with other stuff.
I also consider putting in second Acolyte of Pain as he proves himself to be fine, and crafting Ragnaros just so that can get games ended faster, as it can sometimes be such a bore to finish your opponent once you get in control.

Jorbles

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +531
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: August 25, 2014, 11:17:17 am »

Soooo this just happened:
http://i.imgur.com/Onl4Aw5.jpg?1?6454

The -6 is Baine #1 exploding to a Fireball. 5 Cairne's played in 1 game. "The eye's of the Earth Mother are upon us... all of us."

(No Bloodhoof's survived this bloody brawl, the last was turned into a sheep.)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: August 25, 2014, 12:32:52 pm »

Reincarnate+Kelthuzad. Why didn't I think of that...

« Last Edit: August 25, 2014, 12:37:18 pm by KingZog3 »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: August 25, 2014, 12:33:06 pm »

How do I make it smaller?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #141 on: August 25, 2014, 12:35:17 pm »

How do I make it smaller?

Like this.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: August 25, 2014, 12:37:38 pm »

yay. Now I know

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: August 28, 2014, 12:06:53 pm »
+3

I did it!!!! Legend! Gaaah! So excited. All look at my amazing card back.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #144 on: August 30, 2014, 01:36:00 pm »

My aggro Paladin deck looks like this now, but I'm not sure about the 30th card. It's the second Bluegill Warrior right now, but I'm also considering a second Loot Hoarder or a Kobold Geomancer. What I'd really want in that slot is another Ironbeak Owl, but I don't have two, and crafting a common just feels wrong.

What should I do?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: August 30, 2014, 05:08:55 pm »

Only 1 Divine Favor? I cannot justitify that!

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: August 30, 2014, 05:20:32 pm »

I think Paladin aggro doesn't want to run Hammer of Wrath - it's not great tempo wise, and I'd think you wouldn't be able to use the extra card from it well enough, and it's not the best finisher.

You also really want the 2nd Divine Favor. If you have Coldlight, you may want to consider that over Hammer, but I could be wrong about the usefulness of 3 damage that goes over taunts.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: August 30, 2014, 06:54:50 pm »

I think Paladin aggro doesn't want to run Hammer of Wrath - it's not great tempo wise, and I'd think you wouldn't be able to use the extra card from it well enough, and it's not the best finisher.

Why won't you be able to use the extra card well enough? The point of the deck is that most of the cards are low mana cost... Yes +card is not a great effect when you have Divine Favor, but you don't always have it. That's why stuff like Hammer and Coldlight are important -- you need to thin the deck enough that you can draw your important cards, like your Divine Favor and your finisher(s).

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #148 on: August 30, 2014, 07:09:05 pm »

I also don't have a second Divine Favor.

Hammer is so versatile I'm rarely displeased when I topdeck one, and sometimes it's exactly what I need. I don't know though, it's certainly possible that it's less useful in the meta of the higher ranks, but here at rank 11 it has been great so far.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: September 01, 2014, 05:19:38 pm »

Now that I have Capt. Greenskin, parrots, etc., I'm testing the weapons-based warrior pirate deck, which is fun and sometimes strong.  Does anyone see a deck like this, or other "themed"decks (murloc, dragon, charge, etc.) having success in ranked play?

Pages: 1 ... 4 5 [6] 7 8 ... 44  All

Page created in 0.048 seconds with 21 queries.