Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 44  All

Author Topic: Constructed General Discussion  (Read 270605 times)

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: Constructed General Discussion
« Reply #25 on: June 23, 2014, 10:44:22 pm »

My current, most successful Ranked deck is 3-Mana UTH Trap Hunter.  With the right draw, it's pretty amazing.  It struggles against control decks or other decks with very few minions, since it really depends on Starving Buzzard + UTH to go off.

You can tell when you are playing someone who isn't super familiar with Hunter decks, though.  Dropping four minions with 2 or less life right before attacking me and I have a trap set?  Shoulda tested for Explosive Trap.

Yeah it's pretty brutal the first few times until you learn to check for secrets. the best is opponent plays Buzzard and secret, and I use a spell to kill the Buzzard. Yay, 3 1/1's at the wrong time.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: June 23, 2014, 10:57:16 pm »

My current ranked deck is a Shaman deck and it's pretty solid. With the right opening cards you get get passed Innervated stuff, and Hex is good for large drops that Druid can put out. I'm pretty sure the worst matchup is against Hunter, but they lost a lot of popularity after the UTH nerf.

Hunters are quite rare now.

My currently "main" deck is, I've just realized, the same one that ek0p played on DH.
Rogue one: http://ihearthu.com/wp-content/uploads/2014/06/EKOP.png

Deck needs a bit play to get used to, but is much fun, and more consistant than I expected. I believe that the worst matchup is Warlock as feeding him cards is a way bigger liability than usual.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1517
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 23, 2014, 11:34:00 pm »

My current, most successful Ranked deck is 3-Mana UTH Trap Hunter.  With the right draw, it's pretty amazing.  It struggles against control decks or other decks with very few minions, since it really depends on Starving Buzzard + UTH to go off.

You can tell when you are playing someone who isn't super familiar with Hunter decks, though.  Dropping four minions with 2 or less life right before attacking me and I have a trap set?  Shoulda tested for Explosive Trap.

Yeah it's pretty brutal the first few times until you learn to check for secrets. the best is opponent plays Buzzard and secret, and I use a spell to kill the Buzzard. Yay, 3 1/1's at the wrong time.

One of the best lessons I've learned in playing HS is when not to play your cards.  Sometimes you just have to use your UTH to clear the board, but if you build a deck around combos, wait for the combos.  Mulligan hard, don't be afraid.  I thought Tracking was always a sort of crappy card, but when you just need one card to make things happen, go for it.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 23, 2014, 11:41:12 pm »

One of the best lessons I've learned in playing HS is when not to play your cards.  Sometimes you just have to use your UTH to clear the board, but if you build a deck around combos, wait for the combos.  Mulligan hard, don't be afraid.  I thought Tracking was always a sort of crappy card, but when you just need one card to make things happen, go for it.
Yeah I wasn't completely sold on tracking until I appreciated its deck thinning/sifting. That's something Hunter can really use. Even Flare is essentially a 1-mana cantrip. One less stop card to get in the way of your combo cards. If Flare's other effects come into play, all the better.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 24, 2014, 12:08:43 am »

Yeah I wasn't completely sold on tracking until I appreciated its deck thinning/sifting. That's something Hunter can really use. Even Flare is essentially a 1-mana cantrip. One less stop card to get in the way of your combo cards. If Flare's other effects come into play, all the better.

If Flare destroys a secret you're in the money. Like, wow it's good. but otherwise I'm not convinced it's much good in a deck, even for the deck thinning.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2014, 01:05:06 am »

If Flare destroys a secret you're in the money. Like, wow it's good. but otherwise I'm not convinced it's much good in a deck, even for the deck thinning.

I don't run it, but I've seen a lot of Hunters with it.  Seems situational, like Ooze, except not as awesome as Oozing a huge weapon.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 24, 2014, 01:11:40 am »

I don't run it, but I've seen a lot of Hunters with it.  Seems situational, like Ooze, except not as awesome as Oozing a huge weapon.

Except there is always the chance to get 2 secrets. It's fun :D. And unstealthing things too. Conceal mrs Rogue? I don't think so.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 24, 2014, 07:10:19 am »

You play Flare as a one-of. You usually do not have A T1 play in hunter decks so you just play it out against most matchups.

Against Hunter or Mage (esp. Freeze Mage with Ice Blocks) it is difference between victory or defeat.

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: June 24, 2014, 10:48:23 am »

I don't run [Flare], but I've seen a lot of Hunters with it.  Seems situational, like Ooze, except not as awesome as Oozing a huge weapon.
It's not really like Ooze, because there is very little risk/variance. Ooze either is a huge blowout vs a weapon, or just a 3/2, which is pretty useless in a lot of decks. Flare almost always just purely thins the deck. You have 1 spare mana at some point, and you cycle it. And then when you see a deck where you can get value, you can save it instead. But even then, you probably just cycle it if you get the chance, since whatever you would save it for is usually not that big of a deal (except Ice Block).

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 25, 2014, 05:41:25 am »

Jeez, I have to share this match!

Playing as Coldlight Rogue. I go first, vs a Rogue (Miracle), keeping Mukla and Leper Gnome, mulling into Sap.
His life in brackets, my life is irrelevant.

T1. Me - Leper Gnome, He -  Backstab. (28).
T2. Me - Weapon, attack, He - the same (27).
T3. Me - Mukla, attack for 1, He - Preparation, Fan of Knives, Sap (26)
T4. Me - Mukla! He -Gnomish Inventor, Coin, Banana (He's hands are full and needs to get rid of stuff)
T5. Me - Sap, Arcane Golem, Attack for 9, Shadowstep, He - Auctioneer, Banana, maybe some irrelevant stuff. (17)
T6  Me - Golem (for 1), Coldlight, Kill his actioneer with Sap as his hand is full, attack for 9. He - I GIVE UP. (9)

Such a priceless game.  ;D

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
  • Respect: +16
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2014, 06:15:44 pm »

I'd love to have one of you guys look over my cards and tell me what I can do to not be shite at this game.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2014, 06:26:56 pm »

I'd love to have one of you guys look over my cards and tell me what I can do to not be shite at this game.

What's you username and #? I'll add you and we can play a game or two and I can tell you what's up. Easy things you might be doing wrong are things like hitting the other person's hero instead of killing minions, or picking too many high cost cards for your decks. I have no idea otherwise what you maybe doing wrong.

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: June 28, 2014, 10:10:16 am »

I wish there was game logs that could be output. The only way to really get a full idea is to have someone watch over your shoulder, either by having someone literally there, or capturing screen output.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: June 30, 2014, 02:42:52 am »

Is "Playing Your Opponent's Cards Priest" a thing?  I've faced multiple priests in constructed running the cardstealing cards and using my cards against me.  There's the "random card from hand," "two random cards from deck," and "one random minion directly into play" cards for a total of 8 of my cards played against me.

It seems inconsistent at best to base a deck around, though.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: June 30, 2014, 04:50:28 am »

No it is not. Mind Vision and Mind Games aren't really played. (Outside of fun decks such as "Randuin" :P).

Now, Thoughtsteal is. It is actually good. Watch some Amaz's videos to see it at it's best.
It IS a quirky card, though.
It's basically Arcane Intellect with pros and cons.
Sure, it's "less consistent" and can whiff completely by drawing unplayables, but it's rare.

OTOH..
There is a strategic advantage in knowing that certain cads are still in opponent's deck and not in hand. Especially when they have one big finisher that you need to worry about (Grommash, Force of Nature).
Drawing from their deck usually gives you decent stuff that you actually need. For example, if you are playing against a control, you are more likely to get lategame stuff, value stuff against midrange, cheap bodies for trade vs aggro (though it's at it's worst against aggro decks).
Having cards in your deck that aren't in your class is beneficial. It gives you more potential outs (before and after you cast TS). It makes people play around more stuff than usual, or get punished for it. Gives you access to things that you really need but cant have (weapons, for example), thus making you somewhat more versatile.
In lategame, versus slower decks, it virtually increases your decksize (cuz you draw two but do not lose cards from deck), which means that fatigue hits you later (you get to see/play 34 cards before fatigue hits, your opponent 30), which can be important.

It's not like "leagues better than Arcane Intellect" but it has its advantages.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: June 30, 2014, 07:45:57 pm »

Ended up Rank 3. Not completely satisfied, but not bad at all.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: June 30, 2014, 08:18:18 pm »
+1

I dug in and zoo'd to legend just to see whether I could do it. Took 81 games to get there from high rank 7.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: June 30, 2014, 11:39:10 pm »

Great job!

I cant stand playing Zoo, though I do have it. I also need a better build.
I played, from most to least:
Coldlight Rogue
Token Shaman
Paladin Weenies (Zoo/Aggro)

Though I pretty much benched shaman now.

(And very little of Aggro Mage, Midrange Hunter and Zoolock).

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: July 01, 2014, 05:32:54 am »

Well, it took me four tries, but I finally won a game in Casual with this deck:

2x Deadly Poison
2x Grimscale Oracle
2x Murloc Tidecaller
2x Southsea Deckhand
1x Blade Flurry
2x Bloodsail Raider
2x Bluegill Warrior
2x Captain's Parrot
2x Murloc Tidehunter
2x Coldlight Oracle
2x Coldlight Seer
1x Murloc Warleader (I only have one :()
2x Southsea Captain
1x Leeroy Jenkins
1x Old Murk-Eye
1x Assassin's Blade
1x Captain Greenskin
2x Sprint

I should clarify that the game I won was because my opponent disconnected and forfeited before the mulligan.

---

Edit: Okay, just won a game legit with that deck, against a Hunter. I think the pivotal moment was when I played Murloc Tidecaller + Murloc Tidehunter + Murloc Tidehunter on turn 5 and he didn't play UTH.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 05:40:02 am by ycz6 »

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: July 01, 2014, 07:43:13 am »

Why Rogue with Murlocks?

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: July 01, 2014, 01:48:44 pm »

I dug in and zoo'd to legend just to see whether I could do it. Took 81 games to get there from high rank 7.

That's pretty impressive. You must have gone something like 55-26?

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: July 01, 2014, 02:33:06 pm »

That's pretty impressive. You must have gone something like 55-26?
Here are the per-rank stats from when I started tracking. (Once or twice I forgot to immediately notate down when I advanced rank, so they might be slightly off due to guessing when it switched over.) Looks like it was actually 80 games. Otherwise, your estimated record would be dead on. Nice. :)

Rank 7: 3-2
Rank 6: 3-0
Rank 5: 4-0
Rank 4: 7-2
Rank 3 (first session): 13-11
Rank 3 (second session): 4-1
Rank 2: 7-2
Rank 1 (first session): 10-8
Rank 1 (second session): 3-0

Total: 54-26

At rank 3 and rank 1, when I sensed that the competition was getting tougher, I took a break and tried again at a different time of day, which seemed to help a lot.

The deck is exactly Kolento's last published zoo: http://imgur.com/a/zDZCM#5. That's from April, so I don't know whether it's considered a good list anymore.
« Last Edit: July 01, 2014, 02:35:21 pm by blueblimp »

Obi Wan Bonogi

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +344
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: July 04, 2014, 12:04:10 pm »

Finally broke down, cleaned out the binder, and dropped 4k dust to build Miracle Rogue!   AhhhhHHhhH

If you can't beat 'em join 'em, right?  (I hate myself)

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: July 04, 2014, 12:49:48 pm »

Finally broke down, cleaned out the binder, and dropped 4k dust to build Miracle Rogue!   AhhhhHHhhH

If you can't beat 'em join 'em, right?  (I hate myself)

I'll have to do this sooner or later, as I've opened two golden Gadgetan Engineers that I don't want to go to waste :P

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2014, 07:53:16 pm »

Anyone know how ranked matchmaking works between legend and non-legend? For non-legend, I've read that they just try to match similarly-ranked players together, and I assume it's the same for legend (except using some kind of MMR instead of the star-and-rank system). But what are they doing when pairing legend and non-legend?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 44  All

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 22 queries.