Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Hunting Party Combos  (Read 13990 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4386
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Re: Hunting Party Combos
« Reply #25 on: December 16, 2011, 10:39:29 am »

I actually don't think that's true at all. Your HPs aren't at all used to get the deck in your discard pile. It doesn't really make a difference.
Of course, Chancellor is better than a random card that reads '+$2' for a HP deck, and MUCH better than navigator or duchess, but still ONE OF the worst.

if you don't pay attention to your deck/discard piles, hunting party decks often reshuffle a pile of greens and coppers, screwing up your next hand. chancellor helps with this. another way to avoid this problem is ... to pay attention to your deck and discard piles.

This almost never happens to me because... I pay attention to my deck and discard piles AND because my HPs very very rarely are going to want to trigger a reshuffle where I'm not a)like on the last five cards of my deck and thus, not wanting my turn to go to waste, am willing to reshuffle or b)already holding a copy of every card in my deck.

snappy

• Pearl Diver
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: December 16, 2011, 11:01:36 am »

I actually don't think that's true at all. Your HPs aren't at all used to get the deck in your discard pile. It doesn't really make a difference.
Of course, Chancellor is better than a random card that reads '+$2' for a HP deck, and MUCH better than navigator or duchess, but still ONE OF the worst.

if you don't pay attention to your deck/discard piles, hunting party decks often reshuffle a pile of greens and coppers, screwing up your next hand. chancellor helps with this. another way to avoid this problem is ... to pay attention to your deck and discard piles.

This almost never happens to me because... I pay attention to my deck and discard piles AND because my HPs very very rarely are going to want to trigger a reshuffle where I'm not a)like on the last five cards of my deck and thus, not wanting my turn to go to waste, am willing to reshuffle or b)already holding a copy of every card in my deck.

right. chancellor would help a sloppy player. but if you are paying attention it's not going to have much benefit.

ecq

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +162
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 21, 2012, 11:42:45 pm »

I just had a good game with Hunting Party / Merchant Ship.  I managed to get away with only having two Hunting Parties, due in part to luck and heavy trashing, but also because of Merchant Ship's duration effect.  I don't think I'd take it over one of the other big enablers, but it worked rather nicely, not clogging while buying 6 Provinces.

Yes, Horse Traders was there and possibly would have been a better choice, but I opened 5/2 and wanted to experiment.

O

• Jester
  • Respect: +605
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 22, 2012, 12:03:08 am »

Just played a game with Hunting party/Torturer where I thought to myself "gee, a HP engine means I can play my torturer almost every turn!" (no +actions).

20 turns and five provinces later, I won solely due to the failings of my opponent..

mischiefmaker

• Golem
  • Respect: +108
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 23, 2012, 03:46:00 pm »

On a 5/2 split, Merchant Ship is a fine choice. It loses to a Hunting Party/Horse Traders strategy that opens 4/3, but (slightly) beats one that opens 5/2.

On this particular board, though, I'm pretty sure Bishop/Chapel into a Golden Deck is going to smoke either of those strategies.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 23, 2012, 04:08:07 pm »

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned it but hunting party + bishop seems like it could be beast in some kingdoms. I suppose it'll depend how much opportunity it gives the opponent too.

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 23, 2012, 04:17:29 pm »

I'm surprised that nobody has mentioned it but hunting party + bishop seems like it could be beast in some kingdoms. I suppose it'll depend how much opportunity it gives the opponent too.

I just tried Hunting Party/Bishop and did very well, buying six of the Provinces and getting chips every turn. However I think a more competent opponent would have taken advantage of my every turn free trashing and built something that could buy faster.  Still, it was a good demonstration of the power of HP!

I'll just leave this here.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.803 seconds with 20 queries.