Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Just a quick victory card idea:  (Read 4282 times)

ta56636

• Bishop
  • Respect: +18
    • View Profile
Just a quick victory card idea:
« on: June 15, 2014, 01:22:19 pm »

Action/Victory $4

+1 Action
You may trash a card from your hand.
------
X VP
When you gain this, gain a curse.

Is it interesting?
What would the correct value of X be?

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
Re: Just a quick victory card idea:
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2014, 01:56:11 pm »

3?

I mean, it can trash the curses it gives out. But until then it's only +2VP to your deck and junks a bit as well. Maybe a better option is 2VP + Copper?
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 15, 2014, 02:17:24 pm »

you should compare it to island, both are action/victory and get rid of bad cards

your card:
after buy: +2 bad cards
after first play: +1 bad card
after second play: --
after third play: -1 bad card

island:
after buy: +1 bad card
after first play: -1 bad card
after second play: ---

so, your card is as good as an island after you played it 3 times.

There is a problem with a sort of contradicting concept. The card is a trasher, and as such it will be bought if you have lots of time to invest for a long game, and in these games the fact that it's a victory card is likely not to matter much. alas, better trashers like forager, masquerade, or even lookout are almost aways preferable.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12871
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: June 15, 2014, 02:38:32 pm »

you should compare it to island, both are action/victory and get rid of bad cards

your card:

island:

There is a problem with a sort of contradicting concept. The card is a trasher, and as such it will be bought if you have lots of time to invest for a long game, and in these games the fact that it's a victory card is likely not to matter much. alas, better trashers like forager, masquerade, or even lookout are almost aways preferable.
Though, long games often end early in a 3-pile ending. It could matter. But the self-junking on gain is so bad that I don't think you'd ever want to buy this card before the Curse pile is empty.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

ta56636

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 15, 2014, 03:24:35 pm »

your card:

island:

Though, long games often end early in a 3-pile ending. It could matter. But the self-junking on gain is so bad that I don't think you'd ever want to buy this card before the Curse pile is empty.

Even at e.g. 6VP?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 15, 2014, 03:27:19 pm »

your card:

island:

Even at e.g. 6VP?

well no, but if you make it worth 6vp, it will just be a must-buy in almost every game near the end, because it nets 5vp but costs less than duchy, and if curses are out, it's a province for 4$. that's kinda silly

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12871
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: June 15, 2014, 03:37:42 pm »

your card:

island:

Even at e.g. 6VP?
In a game with cursers, yeah. In a game without cursers, then probably in the end game when you're already heavily greening and can't buy a Province, possibly even over Duchy sometimes.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 15, 2014, 03:45:08 pm »

One advantage of Island is that it sets aside dead cards rather than trashing them.  So you keep the point for that Estate, and can even clean up after Province/duchy gains.
Well you *do* need a signature...

ta56636

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 15, 2014, 05:30:23 pm »

3?

I mean, it can trash the curses it gives out. But until then it's only +2VP to your deck and junks a bit as well. Maybe a better option is 2VP + Copper?

Yeah - this is quite a nice idea, and perhaps fixes some of the other comments.  It would be nice if it was sometimes viable as an opening buy/rush card.  Maybe even 3VP + Copper ...  Or maybe 1/2VP and gain a card upto $2.

Actually I quite like that option:

Action/Victory $4

+1 Action
------
2 VP
When you gain this, gain a card up to $2

Viable as an opening as only trashing on the board, or with good $2 card synergy perhaps.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 15, 2014, 06:16:30 pm »

3?

Yeah - this is quite a nice idea, and perhaps fixes some of the other comments.  It would be nice if it was sometimes viable as an opening buy/rush card.  Maybe even 3VP + Copper ...  Or maybe 1/2VP and gain a card upto $2.

Action/Victory $4

+1 Action
------
2 VP

Viable as an opening as only trashing on the board, or with good $2 card synergy perhaps.

This version can auto-pile with two highways in play, which is likely to be problematic on a victory card.

ta56636

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 15, 2014, 06:23:10 pm »

3?

Action/Victory $4

+1 Action
------
2 VP

This version can auto-pile with two highways in play, which is likely to be problematic on a victory card.

Maybe either:
When you gain this, gain a card costing upto $2 less than it. (you could still auto pile with 4 highways/2 quarries, but that seems less of an issue)
Or change it to an on buy effect...

luser

• Tactician
  • Respect: +353
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 15, 2014, 07:12:23 pm »

3?

Action/Victory $4

+1 Action
------
2 VP

Maybe either:
When you gain this, gain a card costing upto $2 less than it. (you could still auto pile with 4 highways/2 quarries, but that seems less of an issue)
Or change it to an on buy effect...

Why not a 2vp+estate for 4$? That would be comparable to gardens?

silverspawn

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 15, 2014, 07:27:05 pm »

i think that, if you make a card and the concept doesn't seem to work, the best thing you can do is drop it and try a different concept. that's really the most valuable advice i would give anyone. don't try to make a card work for the sake of making it work
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.052 seconds with 21 queries.