Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Gold that trashes  (Read 2812 times)

pst

• Minion
  • Respect: +906
    • View Profile
Gold that trashes
« on: May 26, 2014, 06:05:10 am »

Discussing a card trashing cards in play I thought that a simple case of that would be

Cheap Gold That Trashes (and which needs another name)
Cost $4?
Treasure

Trash a card in play. If you do: $3

Good for getting rid of Copper, but after that it can be a bit problematic. Good with Fortress of course.

Burning Skull

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Burning Skull
  • See you in the Outpost
  • Respect: +1843
    • View Profile
Re: Gold that trashes
« Reply #1 on: May 26, 2014, 06:09:51 am »

It seems to be just strictly better than Moneylender.

pst

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 26, 2014, 06:22:07 am »

It seems to be just strictly better than Moneylender.

Good point! Even though it is obvious I should have added that I hadn't thought much about this at all.

The idea was that you would reluctantly start trashing cards you'd prefer to keep. Yeah, sure, I guess I can do without that Hamlet. Next time a Silver. Etc. To be relevant it should perhaps cost more and give $4 instead. Or say "trash a card in play costing more than $0. if you do..." or "trash a card in play. if its cost was >$0 then ...".

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 26, 2014, 02:39:55 pm »

This is extremely good. Better than Counterfeit for trashing Coppers (barring the +Buy), same if trashing Silver. And Counterfeit is a pretty good $5. This should probably cost $6 or higher. At $6 may be ok, because is a bit late for trashing, and as you said, it has some issues if there is nothing you would like to trash. It would be way better than Gold for engines, but not as good as Counterfeit for those, because $5 is much easier to get than $6 and Counterfeit comes with +Buy, and for BM-ish it is probably on par with Gold, as trashing Copper is not as good for BM. For BM with Copper haters (Venture, Adventurer), this could be great, and also in Colony games when you want to trash the Silvers as well.

I would just make the trashing mandatory. You can always not play it, and there are no accountability issues.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2014, 03:20:47 pm »

I would just make the trashing mandatory. You can always not play it, and there are no accountability issues.
It is mandatory already. You just don't get the bonus if there is nothing to trash for some reason.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 26, 2014, 04:52:27 pm »
+5

Trashing your own Coppers is great and all, but what really makes it broken as written is trashing your opponent's durations.
Well you *do* need a signature...

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 27, 2014, 06:00:15 am »
+4

But seriously, the better phrasing is simply

$4 Treasure

$3
Trash a card you have in play

There's really no need for the "if you do" clause since there is pretty much always a card of yours in play, such as this card itself.  The only edge case I can think of is Counterfeit-Counterfeit-This-This, where the first This trashes both Counterfeits, is then trashed by Counterfeit, and then the second This trashes itself and then has no second card to trash.  And that assumes you had no other cards in play.  Hardly an edge case worth obfuscating language.
Well you *do* need a signature...

pst

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 27, 2014, 09:02:00 am »

You are forced to play it if it's found with Venture.

There's really no need for the "if you do" clause since there is pretty much always a card of yours in play, such as this card itself.

Oops! I so meant it not to trash itself, so actually I meant

Trash another card you have in play. If you do: $3

I'm sorry I forgot to state that. If it's self-trashing it's too much like Spoils. The intention was something that comes at a price, and the if-you-do clause so it's not too good for BM when you often would play this first otherwise.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 27, 2014, 09:19:38 am »

You are forced to play it if it's found with Venture.

There's really no need for the "if you do" clause since there is pretty much always a card of yours in play, such as this card itself.

Oops! I so meant it not to trash itself, so actually I meant

Trash another card you have in play. If you do: $3

I'm sorry I forgot to state that. If it's self-trashing it's too much like Spoils. The intention was something that comes at a price, and the if-you-do clause so it's not too good for BM when you often would play this first otherwise.

Simpler wording should trump making a card do exactly what you envisioned 9 out of 10 times.

That being said, I don't think Cheap Gold That Trashes is salvageable. It would be way too powerful for trashing Copper even if it cost $5. It's absolutely terrible for trashing anything else (besides Ruins and Fortress). Counterfeit is just a much better way to do this concept.

pst

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 27, 2014, 09:49:30 am »

That being said, I don't think Cheap Gold That Trashes is salvageable. It would be way too powerful for trashing Copper even if it cost $5. It's absolutely terrible for trashing anything else (besides Ruins and Fortress). Counterfeit is just a much better way to do this concept.

Maybe you are right. Still there are cards that are often useful only in the beginning, like Moneylender or Lookout; and at the end you are of course willing to trash your good (non-VP) cards, like salvaging your Gold, upgrading good action cards to Duchies, etc. The idea here was something that would be useful both for initial trashing and for burning everything at the end, and that might invite tempting situations of using it maybe a bit too early in the endgame.

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2131
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: June 02, 2014, 03:37:18 am »
+1

This is similar to a card in my set, Cargo

Cargo
Treasure - $5
Worth $1
When you play this, trash a card you have in play. Gain a card costing exactly $1 more than it.

This was found to be quite a good $5 card.

Remember trashing a card from play is even better than playing a card, then trashing it.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.693 seconds with 22 queries.