Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Author Topic: Play badly or risk not playing?  (Read 17202 times)

gkrieg13

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: gkrieg
  • Respect: +463
    • View Profile
Re: Play badly or risk not playing?
« Reply #50 on: September 15, 2015, 08:48:55 am »

Just have two council rooms in your hand and pass those to possessed her.

Idec Sdawkminn

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: September 16, 2015, 04:26:52 am »

Well, we haven't played since then, but we did get Intrigue. We just haven't opened it yet because we've been busy with other things.

Why Dominion? Well, because her best friend and her best friend's husband love it and they played with her and she liked it. She likes how it changes all the time. So I don't think it is necessarily that she doesn't like having to think, but rather she doesn't like playing with someone who is a lot better. And really, I haven't really played much better. Sure, I read most of the strategy articles and learned a lot, but when I try to put it in practice, I seem lost. A lot of the strategies depend on cards that aren't in the base set. And while I can understand a strategy in concept, figuring out the details of how to implement it, which parts to get at what time and in what situations, is very much beyond me still. I think it was just the idea of me getting obsessed with my latest obsession (and thereby causing me to get really good at it) that she is afraid of.

I got Goku, I mean Goko, and have been playing the campaign mode against the AI lately. I've read that the AI is supposed to be terrible, but I've had a really tough time beating them on some kingdoms. Like the one where there are 3 AI players and there are Witches and Militia everyone is attacking everyone all the time. It took me many tries to win and I still probably don't understand why that strategy resulted in me winning over the other tries. But I think this is a good way for me to become familiar with how the cards interact. I did this same thing with the PC version of Catan: Cities and Knights and at first they beat me all the time, but over time I've finally developed a play style where I win most of the time.
« Last Edit: September 16, 2015, 01:37:02 pm by Idec Sdawkminn »

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #52 on: September 16, 2015, 04:43:33 am »

Like the one where there are 3 AI players and there are Witches and Militia everyone is attacking everyone all the time. It took me many tries to win and I still probably don't understand why that strategy resulted in me winning over the other tries.

Multiplayer Dominion is an entirely different game than 2-player Dominion, and basically all strategy discussion here is about the latter and doesn't necessarily apply all that well for the former.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: September 16, 2015, 09:31:24 am »

Also in some of the campaign levels, they are engineered to have one bot who will get money and vp and two others that just load up on attacks to take you down. So the bots are often easy in a full random kingdom but some of the campaign levels are actually hard
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Idec Sdawkminn

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +6
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: September 16, 2015, 01:43:12 pm »

Also in some of the campaign levels, they are engineered to have one bot who will get money and vp and two others that just load up on attacks to take you down. So the bots are often easy in a full random kingdom but some of the campaign levels are actually hard
Yeah, I've noticed that. And I try really hard not to chose a strategy specifically to counter that AI's strategy on that kingdom, because that is learning something that will help me in that specific situation that probably won't ever happen again. I try to learn the best way to play the kingdom and win that way instead of the best way to beat that bot.

iguanaiguana

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: iguana iguana
  • Respect: +1044
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: September 16, 2015, 03:35:18 pm »

Yeah, I've noticed that. And I try really hard not to chose a strategy specifically to counter that AI's strategy on that kingdom, because that is learning something that will help me in that specific situation that probably won't ever happen again. I try to learn the best way to play the kingdom and win that way instead of the best way to beat that bot.

If your goal is to win campaigns, do whatever is necessary to win. If your goal is to get better at dominion, play random kingdoms and play against humans as much as possible.
Point iguana. Not that points really matter with a result, but still.
Igu is town or trying the hardest he ever has as scum.

Mr. Durdle

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +14
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: October 01, 2015, 07:22:46 pm »

Dominion is a cool game for this exact reason. It plays like a card game that you can learn in 10 minutes, since the objective is simple: get the most/best green cards.

I was introduced to Dominion through active players, and now play with novices. To keep their interest, I try to pick Kingdoms that teach the game, play quickly, and have fun interaction. Tunnel, Throne Room/ Kings Court, simple defense cards (Lighthouse, Moat), and a few base deck engine pieces (Village, Laboratory, Smithy) make for games that beginners can make strategies with, or at least stumble through while achieving the objective. Dominion has its own logic, and several cards that make the game great for experienced players use language that's only relevant in certain situations, and even the idea of crafting engines is an abstract concept when buying money seems paramount.
Pages: 1 2 [3]  All

Page created in 1.278 seconds with 21 queries.