Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Random Stuff [Serious]  (Read 5819 times)

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
Random Stuff [Serious]
« on: June 13, 2014, 03:23:35 pm »
+3

The Random Stuff thread is great for general discussion, but maybe you want something a little more serious.    This thread is for serious posts only and anything not serious (trolling, memes, jokes, silliness) will be deleted.

To kick things off: how have you guys dealt with board game burnout?  Does it get solved by trying new games? 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
Re: Random Stuff [Serious]
« Reply #1 on: June 13, 2014, 03:30:08 pm »
+1

The Random Stuff thread is great for general discussion, but maybe you want something a little more serious.    This thread is for serious posts only and anything not serious (trolling, memes, jokes, silliness) will be deleted.

To kick things off: how have you guys dealt with board game burnout?  Does it get solved by trying new games?

I have a tendency to go through things in bursts.  I may play Dominion a whole lot for a day or weeks, then turn to a console/tablet game and play that heavily for a bit.  Then maybe I'll start a new book and spend all my free time reading that.  When I finish I may keep reading the same author or turn back to some other activity.  Sometimes I get rigorous about spending my free time going to the gym, etc., or attempt to socialize.  Or watch a TV series heavily.

Since I turn to something else once mild disinterest sets in, I never get really burnt out on things.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 13, 2014, 03:46:27 pm »

I've been a little burned out on Dominion, playing only 5 games or so in the last month.

I bought the Agricola app on my iPad and am mega into that, though. Have you played it?
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: June 13, 2014, 05:59:05 pm »

I think my friends got burnt out, they never seem interested anymore. Although i have also moved further away.

On the subject of this thread, and in a serious way, why group them all together?
Boardgame burnouts is good enough for its own topic surely?
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: June 13, 2014, 08:20:06 pm »

Since I turn to something else once mild disinterest sets in, I never get really burnt out on things.

This is how I do things as well.

There are a couple of things I always turn back to every once in a while. Dominion is one of them. Diablo II is another.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: June 14, 2014, 11:47:26 am »

This is how I do things as well.

There are a couple of things I always turn back to every once in a while. Dominion is one of them. Diablo II is another.

Diablo II. Thanks a lot, there's one more game from my childhood that I have to buy now.

Yeah I barely play Dominion anymore. I'm getting through some N64 and Game Boy Advance games that I played way back but never finished but maybe I'll get back to Dominion someday. Speaking of N64, what is with Majora's Mask going for $35? It's really starting to piss me off.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1887
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 14, 2014, 02:45:28 pm »
+1

There's demand with no supply. Economics and stuff.

nkirbit

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: June 14, 2014, 02:47:11 pm »

I've been a little burned out on Dominion, playing only 5 games or so in the last month.

I bought the Agricola app on my iPad and am mega into that, though. Have you played it?

Have you played any online games with the app?  I bought it, but have only played against AI so far.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 14, 2014, 02:53:58 pm »

There's demand with no supply. Economics and stuff.

Yeah. I just figured there are thousands of copies but there probably aren't as many as I thought.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 14, 2014, 03:22:11 pm »

I have a tendency to go through things in bursts.  I may play Dominion a whole lot for a day or weeks, then turn to a console/tablet game and play that heavily for a bit.  Then maybe I'll start a new book and spend all my free time reading that.  When I finish I may keep reading the same author or turn back to some other activity.  Sometimes I get rigorous about spending my free time going to the gym, etc., or attempt to socialize.  Or watch a TV series heavily.

Sounds like me, although it's more I switch to something else when that something else excites me. Right now I'm totally hooked on Hearthstone. I end up studying the things I do a lot while I do them.

I wanted to get back into WH40K: Dawn of War (the first one). I have all the expansions, and there is a kickass mod called Ultimate Apocalypse for the Soulstorm expansion. Then work and other games got in the way.

Dominion is one of those things that I always come back to eventually. Right now though, I'm probably going to sit out Season 2 of the Dominion League. Season 3 should start when school starts up again for me. That tends to eb a more lax time.

enfynet

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1162
    • View Profile
    • JD's Custom Clubs
« Reply #10 on: June 14, 2014, 03:37:38 pm »

Golf has been my escape from burning out on any games. I burned out Skyrim. Burned out GTA-V. The only other thing I'm really burned out on is yard work. I'm sure dominion would be the same but I can only play IRL as I haven't bothered fixing my laptop in almost a year. I use my iPod, or computer at work, for email and such.

My N64 could use more attention.
"I have no special talents. I am only passionately curious."

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #11 on: June 14, 2014, 03:45:29 pm »

Burning out on games hasn't really been a problem for me. I get tired of each game I play every time I play it, and then I'm up for it again in a couple of hours or at least the next day.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 22, 2014, 02:30:23 am »
+7

Man when I saw the title of this thread, I thought by "serious" you meant a place to discuss marital troubles or personal issues or things like that. Anything boardgame related doesn't seem so serious in comparison.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 22, 2014, 12:57:46 pm »

Have you played any online games with the app?  I bought it, but have only played against AI so far.

Oh, you gotta play online! It's seamless. It's so great. I made a thread in general discussion, but anyway, go online on the app and friend me! We have to friend each other. What is your username?
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: June 22, 2014, 02:48:22 pm »

I'd try playing some tough board games for a day against good players with a will to win. If they're people you don't know too well then they won't go easy on you and you won't go easy on them. It gets the brain going and all the competitive instincts. If you play games for too long with your foot off the gas you can lose interest in all the decisions that make things interesting.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2014, 02:51:47 pm by DG »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: June 22, 2014, 03:11:48 pm »
+1

I'd try playing some tough board games for a day against good players with a will to win. If they're people you don't know too well then they won't go easy on you and you won't go easy on them. It gets the brain going and all the competitive instincts. If you play games for too long with your foot off the gas you can lose interest in all the decisions that make things interesting.

Huh. I actually enjoy low-pressure games more. If I care about my rating, I end up getting angry and performing worse. In a tournament I always choke. Give me a casual game with friends any day.

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: June 22, 2014, 04:56:39 pm »

Huh. I actually enjoy low-pressure games more. If I care about my rating, I end up getting angry and performing worse. In a tournament I always choke. Give me a casual game with friends any day.
Caring about rating is detrimental, yes, for most people anyway, because it's not a direct enough measure of how well you're playing, in many games. The important thing is feeling like it matters how good your plays are.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: June 22, 2014, 05:10:33 pm »
+1

Oh, you gotta play online! It's seamless. It's so great. I made a thread in general discussion, but anyway, go online on the app and friend me! We have to friend each other. What is your username?

I would probably get it if it were on Android.  But alas...

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: June 22, 2014, 08:44:19 pm »

Hey so I'm having some troubles--the "Other" category on my iPhone is taking up like 2.6 GB of space. Does anyone know how to get rid of some of the stuff in this category?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2014, 06:05:13 pm »

Have you tried exploring the phone via the computer?

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2014, 06:08:32 pm »

That's where i discovered it. but no worries, i've fixed it. sorta.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2014, 06:20:09 pm »
+1

That's where i discovered it. but no worries, i've fixed it. sorta.

It got fixed on the -real- Random Stuff thread.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.135 seconds with 21 queries.