Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188  All

Author Topic: RMM16: Dice Mafia (Town wins!)  (Read 547762 times)

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
Re: RMM16: Dice Mafia (Town wins!)
« Reply #4650 on: August 22, 2014, 10:57:28 am »

Sorry if I sound bitter, I'm just pretty disappointed because there were multiple times when it looked like we had it won. Like the night before masons showed up, and when we had a chance to quickhammer pps...

Anyway, the game was still very fun to play. I especially liked the personal QTs, mine has 350 posts in it. But most of it is just my ramblings... which I didn't really think through that much, so take it all with a grain of salt. http://www.quicktopic.com/50/H/kXufRJJKpMYac

Town got two freakin' Masons as a prize. It was a huge reward for them.
Masons who happened to be the two players we planned to get lynched. On D4. And that's why we should have gone along with it and gotten them lynched... because ash would go down next.

Oh, and it's really a shame that I brought up that dice destruction could be factional. I don't know why I did that.

Oh, and the thing I've wanted to say all along - my rolls were actually that terrible! I didn't roll anything higher than a 6 and played a 5 D1. I actually forgot for a moment that we were playing with D12s this game after I got my results.
wow! How many did you roll?

My rolls were really that consistently mediocre... over 5 days all the dice I rolled were in the range 5-9, except for a 2 and 3 on D1.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #4651 on: August 22, 2014, 11:01:15 am »

Also, this game is making me move towards a lynch all lurkers policy.  Mail-Mi/Archetype's usual lurking play style made it impossible for me to read them, especially because they both had VLA's at various times, and repeatedly.  I often found myself thinking, "well, If Arch wasn't on vacation this would be very scummy for him.. but he might just not have access..".

Plus, Mail-Mi having almost no interactions Day 1 made it really hard when he was still around Day 5,6.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4652 on: August 22, 2014, 11:10:36 am »

Oh, and the thing I've wanted to say all along - my rolls were actually that terrible! I didn't roll anything higher than a 6 and played a 5 D1. I actually forgot for a moment that we were playing with D12s this game after I got my results.
wow! How many did you roll?

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #4653 on: August 22, 2014, 11:22:09 am »

Lio I agree the masons made the game extremely difficult. But I feel like you had the chance to myslynch one of the masons and then we would be in a horrible spot. But I also see if I was scum and 2 people claimed masons I guess I would also feel like it would be super hard lynching the masons.

Overall ya that was unlucky as scum that we got council at such an importent time.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4654 on: August 22, 2014, 11:25:22 am »

You didn't listen to me, though, you lynched me!  :)

I still can't believe any of you for one second could think I was scum.  It was blatantly obvious how town I was.  Even Faust went back on his own beliefs and lynched me.

Glad to get the win, but the WW/BA scumteam absolutely deserved the win here.

Ash acts blatantly scummy, "It was blatantly obvious how town I was."  I act obviously towny, and flip town, and Ash still thinks I'm scum~

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: irrationalE
    • View Profile
« Reply #4655 on: August 22, 2014, 11:42:19 am »

If you read the speccy you will see that I never had any doubt about Ash being town.  One thing that really confused me is why no one brought up the fact that he hammered Voltaire D1.  Scum just doesn't do that.  Especially not on a quickhammer.  Maybe if it is later in the day and it is clear that Voltaire was going to be the lynch, but it is too easy to post a "hold up guys, lets think about this a little more" and not be scummy for it at all.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4656 on: August 22, 2014, 11:45:37 am »

Also, I want to repeat about how awesome of a game this was.  Even though I got in the game a bit late, I absolutely loved my role as town thief, and just wish town (my wagon was 100% town) hadn't lynched me so fast.  The dice rolling, monsters, prizes, and everything added an extra dimension to the game that made it super enjoyable.
Man. I had four strips of bacon yesterday. Was one automatically undercooked, one automatically overcooked? No, let's put a stop to that right here, all four strips were excellent.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4657 on: August 22, 2014, 11:58:58 am »

If you read the speccy you will see that I never had any doubt about Ash being town.  One thing that really confused me is why no one brought up the fact that he hammered Voltaire D1.  Scum just doesn't do that.  Especially not on a quickhammer.  Maybe if it is later in the day and it is clear that Voltaire was going to be the lynch, but it is too easy to post a "hold up guys, lets think about this a little more" and not be scummy for it at all.

We brought it up a good deal on Day 2.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #4658 on: August 22, 2014, 12:00:44 pm »

Jimmmmm, this was a great game to watch, even though SO complicated to mod!  I thought the 4 night merchants were great.  It's usually so dull at night if you aren't scum.  It was a really close game, too. It could easily have gone the other way.  The town rewards were a bit too swingy.  Live and learn!

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4659 on: August 22, 2014, 12:04:25 pm »

We brought it up a good deal on Day 2.

And then never talked about it Day 3, when Ash was lynched.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #4660 on: August 22, 2014, 12:06:46 pm »

I still can't believe any of you for one second could think I was scum.  It was blatantly obvious how town I was.  Even Faust went back on his own beliefs and lynched me.

Ash acts blatantly scummy, "It was blatantly obvious how town I was."  I act obviously towny, and flip town, and Ash still thinks I'm scum~

My understanding of the setup is that there were exactly three mafia and a second scumteam of two.  The two had a factional power that was passive and provided a town flip for the first one that was night killed.  It's all in the mod QT.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #4661 on: August 22, 2014, 12:09:52 pm »

Also, this game was epic.

I look forward to modding Jimmmmm in Dune.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
    • View Profile
« Reply #4662 on: August 22, 2014, 12:32:57 pm »

My understanding of the setup is that there were exactly three mafia and a second scumteam of two.  The two had a factional power that was passive and provided a town flip for the first one that was night killed.  It's all in the mod QT.

Alright, you've caught us.  :P

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4663 on: August 22, 2014, 12:44:40 pm »

So seriously, how should we have handled Masons differently?  Should we have not used the pseudonyms?  Should we have announced it in the QT or not?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #4664 on: August 22, 2014, 02:49:53 pm »

So seriously, how should we have handled Masons differently?  Should we have not used the pseudonyms?  Should we have announced it in the QT or not?

I don't think you did anything wrong. Had I been in the game and town, I would have believed you instantly. There's no way the timing works out if you're scum. Also, Occam's razor.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4665 on: August 22, 2014, 03:25:00 pm »

Overall, reading through some of the QTs, I think both scum and town made a lot of mistakes. Overall, I actually feel town played poorly. Yuma brought up in the speccy about looking up the previous dice game, and I did that but not until D4 was over. The tunneling of Faust was pretty ridiculous.

I think the Masons reward might be overpowered, especially when combined with the clue. I think having or the other might be okay, and maybe they should be an earlier reward rather than later on because a lot of people found WW and I the scummiest town players. So, for the next dice game, I think Jimmm should only allow one of these as the rewards.

Also, scum should have won some. To balance that either players need to be given less dice or the targets need to be higher. I think the other rewards were balanced. I even think Masosn could be balanced, but only if it is given early on rather than redeeming town players who are seen as scummy midway through the game. However, creating 3 ICs is overkill.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4666 on: August 22, 2014, 04:02:11 pm »

I don't know, we were dangerously close to losing multiple times.  I think PPS was in serious risk of being mislynched for the lose on both days 5 and 6.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4667 on: August 22, 2014, 07:34:59 pm »

So, I looked up the Modern Community thread. That game finished at nearly the same point as this game. The post where Scum wins takes place at the top of page 186. This game ended mid-185. So, both games are very close in size. This thread is currently 3 pages away from Modern Community's record 190.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4668 on: August 23, 2014, 09:54:43 am »

The fact that we beat all the monsters did mean that the mentalist was pretty useless. I think using my role to just be an IC was a good idea, what does everyone else think?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #4669 on: August 23, 2014, 10:10:31 am »

I thought the XP/Faust early quasi-IC delivery was helpful to those in the know but detrimental for those not in the know.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

XerxesPraelor

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #4670 on: August 23, 2014, 10:13:53 am »

Sorry, then. I should have made it clearer. Maybe just acting like I was a fruit vendor would be the right way to go.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4671 on: August 23, 2014, 11:23:52 am »

The fact that we beat all the monsters did mean that the mentalist was pretty useless. I think using my role to just be an IC was a good idea, what does everyone else think?
Well by N2 we knew we had to kill you, not sure if you should have stayed away from that to stay alive for longer. The one time we got the scum reward it was for the mentalist to give the wrong result, but unfortunately nobody had 20 dice.

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4672 on: August 23, 2014, 12:54:45 pm »

I feel really bad because I feel like Scum should have won this. So many Town players were scummy and I felt like liopoil were put into a good spot with our claims. I do think I could've played this much better, though. I kinda wish liopoil had made it to mylo instead of me. Oh well. We still made it pretty close even with Voltaire getting unlucky and being lynched! Awesome game, Jimmmmm! Loved the idea of the traveling merchants and of course the whole dice rolling. I do think that some of the vendors were a bit too spendy and there weren't really any scum benefiting powers. Some of the monsters were a little too easy to beat and the Council reward was a little OP (you could've done something like "each player names a player [Mafia have to name a Town player]. If players named each other, they get a permanent Daychat QT."). That number one was really cool though. Overall, I'm glad  I subbed in and thought it was very well modded after seeing all the actions you to keep track of. This is up there with Arrested Development for my favorite mafia game. I hope you have a Dice Mafia 3 in the works!

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #4673 on: August 23, 2014, 12:55:44 pm »

I read in the speccy that someone (lio?) said that suggesting no lynch was scummy. Why is that scummy?

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4674 on: August 23, 2014, 01:20:47 pm »

I read in the speccy that someone (lio?) said that suggesting no lynch was scummy. Why is that scummy?
I think it was e, not me, but it is scummy because it is a bad idea for town :P
Pages: 1 ... 185 186 [187] 188  All

Page created in 2.03 seconds with 20 queries.