Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 188  All

Author Topic: RMM16: Dice Mafia (Town wins!)  (Read 547619 times)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
Re: RMM16: Dice Mafia (Day 4)
« Reply #3725 on: July 24, 2014, 05:01:24 pm »

BUt how does this Neighborhood benefit town? You argue yourself that a reward that gives no benefit makes no sense. Masons, fine, that's a reward. But how is the council itself a reward?

Masons is part of the Neighborhood.  I don't see the issue here.  It actually is a benefit, because with other players in the neighborhood, they can validate what BA and I claim to provide evidence that we're not lying.  Makes our claim more believable so we can be accepted as more-likely Town to the rest of the Town players.

And here's where you're fundamentally wrong. Suppose that, in (iiib), scum doesn't post in the QT and nobody claims Alice or Bob the next morning. Then we know that Alice and Bob must be the scum. Which consequently means that neither Ichi nor Hydrad can be scum. So if Alice and Bob don't claim, they create two ICs. If they claim, well, that a good spot to start looking for scum. So do you really think the reward in this case gives no benefit? I think this makes perfect sense.

But they don't to use Alice and Bob at all.  And the optionality of the pseudonyms can be verified in the Council QT.

The pseudonyms are obviously for scum. Just a Neighborhood is little reward at all. I think you were also forced to use these pseudonyms.

We weren't.  BA's first batch of posts, at 3:30 in the morning an hour after the council QT opened (and as the first person to post), was to suggest we use the pseudonyms instead of our regular names.  This is either AMAZING foresight on BA's part (who is newbie scum here in this scenario), or the obvious conclusion that they were optional.  Additionally, Jimmm clarified later on that using a name other than your username without permission would be against the rules.  You can argue this is ambiguous, but I think his wording in this (check with Hydrad) strongly suggests that we have the option to use pseudonyms.

Easy. first and foremost, even under pseudonym, BA wants to appear townie. Not posting is not townie. Plus, the pseudonym protects him, so why not post and try to manipulate?

Because scum needs to think about what to say.  And for him to come in right away with a plan to manipulate requires him having some concept of what end he's manipulating to.  And he couldn't do this, because even in the case where we were scum, we would not have had any collaboration about this yet.

See, here's where I am suspicious. Why does it take you to claim the Masons? That BA doesn't claim Masons is suspicious, because in a BA/WW scumteam, I expect you, WW, to plan such fakeclaims, since you're the experienced one.

BA would have to answer why he did not bring it up.  Myself, I wasn't sure if we should admit it in there or not.. I couldn't really foresee the possible dangers, but I ultimately couldn't think of a good reason not to.

Okay, I understand this concern from your perspective.

Of course as scum you want to claim quickly, in order to be able to make this exact argument. But for all we know, you had the chance to inform BA first. That doesn't necessarily take, like, multiple hours.

But we have to plan things!  You know this.. you and I talked over and over on how we'd handle situations as a scum team.  Here I'd have to just leave a message in the QT and hope he plays along.  What if I didn't think about every possible outcome?  What if I made bad assumptions?  What if this plan sucks?

And his confusion is also suspicions, because to me it says you didn't explain it to him properly. If he really had a message from Jimmmmm, there would be no need to be confused.

He was confused because he's a new player.  Again, why would I be telling him that we're Masons in the Council QT and not or own QT, if we planned this out?

Yes, you did, see the explanation above. Plus, if we are already at MyLo, this is a good way to get that one last mislynch.

Exactly when in the last few days of BA and I playing multiple 12's did we have extra dice to save to make this MyLo?

Lynching a low roller did exactly what we wanted to: Forced scum into contributing. I mean, if you make that sort of argument, you'd have to show me how the plays of the players you suspect were scummier than yours.

BA played a 12 on Day 1.  Voltaire was not lynched because of his low rolling. Ichi was the one under major fire (from you, nonetheless), not Volt, whose roll was more or less ignored in favor of meta arguments.

PPE: 18

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3726 on: July 24, 2014, 05:03:09 pm »

So, I am thinking that for sure PPS or Ash has to be scum now because of XPs death. Why else would XP die unless scum say him as a real threat?

XP died because he was pretty much conf!town.

I had no idea XP was town.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3727 on: July 24, 2014, 05:03:35 pm »

Vote: WW

I have reason to believe no lynch might be worse than I originally thought, not sure whether I should discuss details though.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3728 on: July 24, 2014, 05:05:03 pm »

I have reason to believe no lynch might be worse than I originally thought, not sure whether I should discuss details though.

You cannot possibly think your argument makes any sense at all.  I don't understand this at all as the person that's suppose to be thinking through things and figuring stuff out.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #3729 on: July 24, 2014, 05:06:38 pm »

You cannot possibly think your argument makes any sense at all.  I don't understand this at all as the person that's suppose to be thinking through things and figuring stuff out.

The "you aren't making sense" argument is a scum tell.  However, this post is a null tell in this instance because you actually responded yo his case earlier.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3730 on: July 24, 2014, 05:07:25 pm »

This is what I want peope to consider especially:

(iiib) [The ''conspiracy theory''] The scum team is forced into a QT.  (Would this be different if three scum or one scum were left alive?  How would this work at a general prize?  No clue.) The scum team has to post in the QT and is given a pseudonyms that they can use.  The scum team then decides to capitalize and claim they were made Masons.

(iiib') [A different version] Four players are selected at random, and two at random to get to use pseudonyms, or something like that.

It should be obvious that (iiib) and (iiib'), or the other incarnations of these, are silly.  If I'm scum, I'm told I have to post in the QT, I just post "." and never go back again.  Okay this might be a little dangerous because then the two Neighbors can figure out they should be town since the others aren't posting.  I can then, of course, just kill one of them.  Then there's only one person saying what went on in the QT, and it's completely useless.  Or I use the opportunity to spread misinformation.  Or I simply post in there as I normally would, and use the opportunity to get more insight on what town members are thinking.

In what way does this possibly benefit the town?  How is this a prize?

And here's where you're fundamentally wrong. Suppose that, in (iiib), scum doesn't post in the QT and nobody claims Alice or Bob the next morning. Then we know that Alice and Bob must be the scum. Which consequently means that neither Ichi nor Hydrad can be scum. So if Alice and Bob don't claim, they create two ICs. If they claim, well, that a good spot to start looking for scum. So do you really think the reward in this case gives no benefit? I think this makes perfect sense.

We could also JUST POST NORMALLY.  There's no reason ANYONE would have ANY reason at all to suspect scum were in the QT.  We'd all be like "okay, we got a neighborhood.. not sure why."  There would be NO pressure on us and NO spotlight.

This is  the most convoluted and nonsensical concept of a "prize" I can possibly imagine.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3731 on: July 24, 2014, 05:07:59 pm »

The "you aren't making sense" argument is a scum tell.  However, this post is a null tell in this instance because you actually responded yo his case earlier.

No, me calling an argument that doesn't make sense nonsensical is a human being tell.  Meaning I'm a human being that can make observations about the world.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #3732 on: July 24, 2014, 05:08:58 pm »

Honestly if we are going to vote for someone I want to vote for asher as his is the only claim right now that can't be verified in any way.

I also feel like asher is the only one that might be loved in this game. I do believe his claim of throwing 4 dice away but he could of easily lied and just used 5 instead. I'm really sorry if WW/BA is the scum team but I really can't see them being it.

PPE:2
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3733 on: July 24, 2014, 05:10:09 pm »

No, me calling an argument that doesn't make sense nonsensical is a human being tell.  Meaning I'm a human being that can make observations about the world.

Me: posts an observation that a WW post would normally have been scummy to me, but wasn't given context.

WW: responds in a scummy, mean-spirited way without cause.

Welcome to the decline of civility in mafia games thread.

EFHW

• Spy
  • Shuffle iT Username: EFHW
  • EFHW="ee-foo". Really, how else would you say it?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3734 on: July 24, 2014, 05:10:36 pm »

Vote Count 4.4

ashersky (2): Witherweaver, pingpongsam
pingpongsam (3): liopoil, Archetype, Beyond Awesome
Witherweaver (2): ashersky, faust
no lynch (1): Hydrad

not voting (0)

With 8 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

Evening begins on July 26 at 11 am forum time.
Day 1 ends on July 28 at 11 am forum time.

Target: 4
Score: 5

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3735 on: July 24, 2014, 05:10:40 pm »

It's a bad argument!  That's easy to see!

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #3736 on: July 24, 2014, 05:10:47 pm »

Honestly if we are going to vote for someone I want to vote for asher as his is the only claim right now that can't be verified in any way.

I also feel like asher is the only one that might be loved in this game. I do believe his claim of throwing 4 dice away but he could of easily lied and just used 5 instead. I'm really sorry if WW/BA is the scum team but I really can't see them being it.

Hmm, I do agree with the things you say here. I just feel better about pps.

Why do you like no lynch? Because you aren't sure? Do you think you may be more sure tomorrow?

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3737 on: July 24, 2014, 05:13:29 pm »

Hmm, I do agree with the things you say here. I just feel better about pps.

Why do you like no lynch? Because you aren't sure? Do you think you may be more sure tomorrow?

I was hoping that if we no lynched we could confirm PPS role but at this point I don't think even confirming his role will do much for us as I believe he has that role now.

I still think PPS has a high chance of being scum though. At this point I almost want to just lynch PPS/asher to get this day over and have all these speculations dissapear.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3738 on: July 24, 2014, 05:14:21 pm »

Hydrad is hedging and lynch fishing at the same time.  So scummy.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3739 on: July 24, 2014, 05:14:43 pm »

What is lynch fishing?

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3740 on: July 24, 2014, 05:16:06 pm »

WW has been the biggest proponent of the "his role is confirmed" argument, right?

That argument should in no way affect people's reads, as roles and alignments have nothing to do with each other, as mentioned a bazillion times by WW and PPS.

Also, if WW/BA could please reconcile that setup rule with the role of Mason, that would be fantastic.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3741 on: July 24, 2014, 05:16:48 pm »

What is lynch fishing?

Where you keep suggesting possible "ok" lynches until one sticks.  Often "just to get this day over with."

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3742 on: July 24, 2014, 05:17:44 pm »

WW has been the biggest proponent of the "his role is confirmed" argument, right?

That argument should in no way affect people's reads, as roles and alignments have nothing to do with each other, as mentioned a bazillion times by WW and PPS.

Also, if WW/BA could please reconcile that setup rule with the role of Mason, that would be fantastic.

Oh, well, this is interesting.  We could have been made scum Masons.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3743 on: July 24, 2014, 05:18:21 pm »

(iiib) [The ''conspiracy theory''] The scum team is forced into a QT.  (Would this be different if three scum or one scum were left alive?  How would this work at a general prize?  No clue.) The scum team has to post in the QT and is given a pseudonyms that they can use.  The scum team then decides to capitalize and claim they were made Masons.

(iiib') [A different version] Four players are selected at random, and two at random to get to use pseudonyms, or something like that.

It should be obvious that (iiib) and (iiib'), or the other incarnations of these, are silly.  If I'm scum, I'm told I have to post in the QT, I just post "." and never go back again.  Okay this might be a little dangerous because then the two Neighbors can figure out they should be town since the others aren't posting.  I can then, of course, just kill one of them.  Then there's only one person saying what went on in the QT, and it's completely useless.  Or I use the opportunity to spread misinformation.  Or I simply post in there as I normally would, and use the opportunity to get more insight on what town members are thinking.

We could also JUST POST NORMALLY.  There's no reason ANYONE would have ANY reason at all to suspect scum were in the QT.  We'd all be like "okay, we got a neighborhood.. not sure why."  There would be NO pressure on us and NO spotlight.

This is  the most convoluted and nonsensical concept of a "prize" I can possibly imagine.

There would be, as you would have posted under pseudonyms.

PPE: 11

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3744 on: July 24, 2014, 05:18:26 pm »

What is lynch fishing?

Where you keep suggesting possible "ok" lynches until one sticks.  Often "just to get this day over with."

Ah,  I see.  Though I can understand wanting to get this day over with.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3745 on: July 24, 2014, 05:18:45 pm »

What is lynch fishing?

well ya. I guess that is exactly what I'm doing. Mainly because I think you and PPS have at least 1 scum there and highly likely that their are 2.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3746 on: July 24, 2014, 05:18:59 pm »

There would be, as you would have posted under pseudonyms.

PPE: 11

We didn't have to. 

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3747 on: July 24, 2014, 05:21:16 pm »

We didn't have to.

You do see that there's no proof to that, right?

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #3748 on: July 24, 2014, 05:22:20 pm »

We didn't have to.

You do see that there's no proof to that, right?

What if tonight they change their psudonyms?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3749 on: July 24, 2014, 05:23:06 pm »

Never have I or anyone else argued that X person having Y role implies X is scum or town.  So I'm not sure what you mean here.

The point of confirmation is, if person X claimed a role, and we confirmed that role, then it's quite likely that they don't have the mysterious "die destroying" role.  It is still possible, as it could work into their role with the confirmed part in some way, but this is a bit of an edge case. 

That's the only way in which we've been using roles to get an indication of alignment.

I'm wondering why you and PPS seem to continually misinterpret that argument.
Pages: 1 ... 148 149 [150] 151 152 ... 188  All

Page created in 2.261 seconds with 20 queries.