Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 188  All

Author Topic: RMM16: Dice Mafia (Town wins!)  (Read 547706 times)

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
    • View Profile
Re: RMM16: Dice Mafia (Day 4)
« Reply #3450 on: July 23, 2014, 02:18:51 pm »

It isn't clear if the d8 gets consumed in one alternation or not. That it is not clear leads me to believe the d8 continues to be alternated against until the supply is exhausted. Yes, it is only one d8 but it appears to live on until all dice are gone.

If it is only one d8, then once it has been rolled, it has been rolled.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #3451 on: July 23, 2014, 02:19:13 pm »

My PM uses the word "alternate". The rolling player will alternate between the d8 and the d12s in their supply.

This doesn't make sense to me.  How many d8's are in their supply?

There should be only the one. Look, if you want certainty I'll have to ask Jimmmmm. Do we care that much? If so, I'll ask. I don;t know how many times I can say the PM is terse and is not at all clear about the specifics. The whole of the role description is 5 sentences and the bit about what happens to the guy with the d8 is a single sentence.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3452 on: July 23, 2014, 02:19:50 pm »

It isn't clear if the d8 gets consumed in one alternation or not. That it is not clear leads me to believe the d8 continues to be alternated against until the supply is exhausted. Yes, it is only one d8 but it appears to live on until all dice are gone.

If it is only one d8, then once it has been rolled, it has been rolled.

It is amazing to me that you have absolute certainty on the thing I have exclusive access to yet am wholly uncertain about.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3453 on: July 23, 2014, 02:20:26 pm »

My PM uses the word "alternate". The rolling player will alternate between the d8 and the d12s in their supply.

There should be only the one. Look, if you want certainty I'll have to ask Jimmmmm. Do we care that much? If so, I'll ask. I don;t know how many times I can say the PM is terse and is not at all clear about the specifics. The whole of the role description is 5 sentences and the bit about what happens to the guy with the d8 is a single sentence.

You can ask Jimmm, but I won't believe a word that supposedly comes back at this point.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #3454 on: July 23, 2014, 02:20:38 pm »

Also, you are incorrect, my power only puts one additional die into the universe (per use). The d8 is given by another play unwittingly, in place of the d12 they thought they were giving.

That's what he was saying.  His argument is that it's an additional die, so it's not bad.  That argument might be flawed

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3455 on: July 23, 2014, 02:22:02 pm »

This totally reminds me of PPS in Time War Mafia.

can we please lynch PPS please?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3456 on: July 23, 2014, 02:22:39 pm »

I mean it kind of matters.. this role is weird.  It's also entirely unverifiable except for the "give a player an extra (d12) die" part.  BA's ability doesn't work to verify the d8-ness of your ability.

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #3457 on: July 23, 2014, 02:23:41 pm »

If PPS was really lying, he would already have decided how his role works.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3458 on: July 23, 2014, 02:24:09 pm »

As the player who called PPS out in Time War, I tell you you are wrong.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3459 on: July 23, 2014, 02:30:16 pm »

If what PPS claims is true, if that were my role, I would have guessed the player would get 1d8 and that once the die is rolled, it is rolled. I would not assume it to be anti-town if I had that power in my hands. I would see it as a way to put more dice into circulation. If I was uncertain about my role, I would have asked Jimmm for clarification a long time ago.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3460 on: July 23, 2014, 02:30:50 pm »

So here's what I don't get.  If you're certain PPS's role is true, and you know that you're Town, then why do you need investigations tomorrow to verify those things?  If the next step is ``lynch Ash'', why don't you want to lynch him now?

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #3461 on: July 23, 2014, 02:33:56 pm »

If what PPS claims is true, if that were my role, I would have guessed the player would get 1d8 and that once the die is rolled, it is rolled. I would not assume it to be anti-town if I had that power in my hands. I would see it as a way to put more dice into circulation. If I was uncertain about my role, I would have asked Jimmm for clarification a long time ago.
This. If he really was confused, he should of asked Jimmmmm.

As the player who called PPS out in Time War, I tell you you are wrong.
I disagree. His confusion about his own claim reminds me of the inconsistencies surrounding his fake ambiguous doctor-protecting role in Time War.

faust

• Board Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3462 on: July 23, 2014, 02:34:04 pm »

So here's what I don't get.  If you're certain PPS's role is true, and you know that you're Town, then why do you need investigations tomorrow to verify those things?  If the next step is ``lynch Ash'', why don't you want to lynch him now?

How thick are you? I think you're scum.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3463 on: July 23, 2014, 02:35:18 pm »

So what's with all this talk about verifying roles and figuring out who to lynch tomorrow?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3464 on: July 23, 2014, 02:38:47 pm »

I did completely create a role there and tried to craft it to make me someone you'd not want to lynch and to explain why I was invisible at night. when there was a wrench thrown into the works I had to try to recraft the role on the fly and it fell apart. Minus that one wrench it was a brilliant plan and you know it.

If I get lynched because my role is a total wonk then the fault lies with the designer, namely, Jimmmmm, register your complaint with him. That I am being demonized for not wanting to screw with random people's dice is really kind of crazy. This is no brilliant plan, this is completely stupid to try to make up. I could have just claimed VT if I wanted to remain out the role claiming business.

As it is, the role should be verifiable with the pool of people this small. If you don't care to verify the role then just throw the game away today and mislynch me now.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3465 on: July 23, 2014, 02:40:33 pm »

So what's with all this talk about verifying roles and figuring out who to lynch tomorrow?

Because your whole angle against me is that I must be lying. If we prove me not lying your case falls apart. This is why you oppose the no lynch plan. Clearly no one is going to lynch the magical masons but no lynch is an option. Unfortunately the magical masons are vehemently opposed to it because they are so sure as the Town psychics that a fellow townie is scum.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3466 on: July 23, 2014, 02:41:18 pm »

Notably, this thread will soon overcome "Homage to the Best Card" and may eventually overcome "Random Stuff".  Let's all take a moment to pat ourselves on the back.

Has a mafia game ever lasted this many pages? I guess the whole dice mechanic thing really adds a lot to discussion.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3467 on: July 23, 2014, 02:41:24 pm »

That doesn't really explain why you wouldn't ask for clarity about your role. 

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3468 on: July 23, 2014, 02:44:31 pm »

sure it does. I said right up front that I was not going to use my power. If I am not going to use then why do I care about specifically how it works? It is only now that everyone wants to try to catch me in some lie about the thing that I clearly can't perfectly describe that I need these specifics.

If you had any sense or if you were town you'd know scum doesn't go in with half baked ideas like this, it would be suicide. VT is a perfectly reasonable alternative to this insanity.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3469 on: July 23, 2014, 02:46:28 pm »

Because your whole angle against me is that I must be lying. If we prove me not lying your case falls apart. This is why you oppose the no lynch plan. Clearly no one is going to lynch the magical masons but no lynch is an option. Unfortunately the magical masons are vehemently opposed to it because they are so sure as the Town psychics that a fellow townie is scum.

I'm not sure that you are scum (I'm still voting for Ash, fyi), but the issue is there are many scenarios where you will not be verified tomorrow.  Then what?  Do we automatically lynch you? 

Okay fine, I have a big thing against it because it's proposed by the antitowniest antitown player of all the antitown players and there's a big bias there.  Also the last time Faust  proposed no lynch was in Xmen as scum.  I really am considering it, I just don't feel good about it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3470 on: July 23, 2014, 02:48:55 pm »

sure it does. I said right up front that I was not going to use my power. If I am not going to use then why do I care about specifically how it works? It is only now that everyone wants to try to catch me in some lie about the thing that I clearly can't perfectly describe that I need these specifics.

If you had any sense or if you were town you'd know scum doesn't go in with half baked ideas like this, it would be suicide. VT is a perfectly reasonable alternative to this insanity.

Man.. my ability didn't seem very good for town, but I didn't decide I was never going to use it. My first instinct was that it was an anti-town role, too. If I had a role whose mechanics were unclear, I'd ask for clarity, not just say "nah, never gonna use it".  We see there are some interpretations of your role where it isn't a bad thing.. why not ask and find out?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3471 on: July 23, 2014, 02:50:24 pm »

I'm not sure that you are scum (I'm still voting for Ash, fyi), but the issue is there are many scenarios where you will not be verified tomorrow.  Then what?  Do we automatically lynch you?

I have trouble imagining it going any other way except if scum knows that by denying they received my d12 they will get the next lynch which may or may not be true. But yeah, if my target gets NK'd I'd say I am toast.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3472 on: July 23, 2014, 02:51:21 pm »

I have trouble imagining it going any other way except if scum knows that by denying they received my d12 they will get the next lynch which may or may not be true. But yeah, if my target gets NK'd I'd say I am toast.

Or if your target gets targeted by dice destroying abilities, which if Faust is to be believed there are two of.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
    • View Profile
« Reply #3473 on: July 23, 2014, 02:51:26 pm »

Okay fine, I have a big thing against it because it's proposed by the antitowniest antitown player of all the antitown players and there's a big bias there.  Also the last time Faust  proposed no lynch was in Xmen as scum.  I really am considering it, I just don't feel good about it.

Did a lot of players think Faust was town that game?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3474 on: July 23, 2014, 02:51:52 pm »

Or if you or Lio pick the same target....
Pages: 1 ... 137 138 [139] 140 141 ... 188  All

Page created in 2.348 seconds with 20 queries.