Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 188  All

Author Topic: RMM16: Dice Mafia (Town wins!)  (Read 548052 times)

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
Re: RMM16: Dice Mafia (Day 3)
« Reply #2100 on: July 15, 2014, 08:16:01 am »

but they haven't been explicitly attacked.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
  • Shuffle iT Username: Hidrad
    • View Profile
« Reply #2101 on: July 15, 2014, 08:18:57 am »

Yes but it does look like our rolls are getting worse as the day goes on right? In the case I wonder if this is true if we should reroll Asher since if my theory is correct him rolling a low number would actually count as a high number. This is pretty risky though as I could be wrong
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
    • View Profile
« Reply #2102 on: July 15, 2014, 08:24:45 am »

My roll was middlish and it was the second highest odd number that could be produced so I didn't experience entropy in the results. I agree we should reroll faust. If faust only rolled one die thus limiting the likelihood a good roll could be had, well, that would be scummy, my guess is he got some odd numbers and the 2 was the only usuable (even) number out of the results.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2103 on: July 15, 2014, 08:26:05 am »

My roll was middlish and it was the second highest odd number that could be produced so I didn't experience entropy in the results. I agree we should reroll faust. If faust only rolled one die thus limiting the likelihood a good roll could be had, well, that would be scummy, my guess is he got some odd numbers and the 2 was the only usuable (even) number out of the results.

ya your probably right. I think i'm looking to much into this.
For anyone else, such a statement would be a scum tell.  For Hydrad, it's simply a tell that you're reading something from Hydrad.

ashersky

• Board Moderator
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
    • View Profile
« Reply #2104 on: July 15, 2014, 08:41:28 am »

Yes but it does look like our rolls are getting worse as the day goes on right? In the case I wonder if this is true if we should reroll Asher since if my theory is correct him rolling a low number would actually count as a high number. This is pretty risky though as I could be wrong

I didn't roll, so rerolling probably wouldn't work.
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Hydrad

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2105 on: July 15, 2014, 08:52:15 am »

I didn't roll, so rerolling probably wouldn't work.

Ah ok. Guess there is no real other option then rerolling Faust

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #2106 on: July 15, 2014, 11:34:44 am »

Okay, time to claim.

On N1, I got a visit very similar to the Mentalist. It was called the Grim Reaper (hence my question on D2). Is there anyone around who controls that NPC?

You believe it was sent by a player, that player must have been town?  (Wasn't me, by the way.)

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
Re: RMM16: Dice Mafia (Day 2)
« Reply #2107 on: July 15, 2014, 11:36:38 am »

Yeah I am still down for Vote: yuma

His claim smacked of a lie off the bat. My role directly inserts an 8 sided die into a players supply and thus corresponds with BA's claim.

Wait, what? can you expand on that bit about your role?

It's fairly complicated and totally swingy. When I target a player they receive a 12 sided die. However, when any other player ( I assume the next one but no further after?) gains a die through any method it will be an 8 sided die without their knowledge. Their rolls will alternate between the 8 sided die and the 12 sided dies in their supply. Thus, having a role that detects how many sides are on dice directly relates to what my role does.

Here is where PPS claims his role.
Thanks! This claim certainly increases my suspicions for PPS.

Huh, weird that he says "My role directly inserts an 8 sided die into a players supply" and then goes on to expand how the 8-sided die is inserted quite indirectly.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2108 on: July 15, 2014, 11:37:43 am »

His claim smacked of a lie off the bat. My role directly inserts an 8 sided die into a players supply and thus corresponds with BA's claim.

It's fairly complicated and totally swingy. When I target a player they receive a 12 sided die. However, when any other player ( I assume the next one but no further after?) gains a die through any method it will be an 8 sided die without their knowledge. Their rolls will alternate between the 8 sided die and the 12 sided dies in their supply. Thus, having a role that detects how many sides are on dice directly relates to what my role does.

Can you guys read? Even if I did tamper I can't outright prevent high rolls. At best I can limit half the rolls to 8 or less as the die alternates. More importantly, if I were involved someone would have gained an additional die that no one seems to be claiming. Get a grip, folks.

Don't remember if you've said this.. have you used your roll yet?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2109 on: July 15, 2014, 11:37:53 am »

That should say "role".

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
« Reply #2110 on: July 15, 2014, 11:42:40 am »

Okay, time to claim.

On N1, I got a visit very similar to the Mentalist. It was called the Grim Reaper (hence my question on D2). Is there anyone around who controls that NPC?

You believe it was sent by a player, that player must have been town?  (Wasn't me, by the way.)

Not necessarily. But there is reason to believe that the roles scum have to other stuff, like eliminate dice and change rolls.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2111 on: July 15, 2014, 11:43:37 am »

Also.. playing a die changes parity.. Can we assume that rerolling someone's dice does not effect parity? I would think so.

Suppose the plays, in order, were

So parity is on "odd" so need even.  If Ichi reroll's the person that played "1", then does the Witch have a memory of its partiy-path, or just the last state?  I'm thinking it wouldn't, because if the "1" is just removed, then the 8 following 12 wouldn't count.. and it would all be too silly to resolve.  So in this case we'd still need an even, because the Witch is still on "odd" parity. Similarly, if we rerolled the "9" instead, nothing would change.. the Witch's parity count would still be "odd".

So, with Faust playing a "2", Witch is on "even" so we need an odd.  When he rerolls, he needs to play an odd, correct?

Thoughts?

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2112 on: July 15, 2014, 11:44:01 am »

Okay, time to claim.

Not necessarily. But there is reason to believe that the roles scum have to other stuff, like eliminate dice and change rolls.

Any harm in telling us what the Grim Reaper did?

Archetype

• Jester
  • Suffers from Fancy Play Syndrom
    • View Profile
« Reply #2113 on: July 15, 2014, 11:48:09 am »

Play: 9

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2114 on: July 15, 2014, 11:49:03 am »

Okay that works too.

chairs

• Young Witch
  • Why don't you have a seat over there...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2115 on: July 15, 2014, 11:51:13 am »

Okay, time to claim.

This is not at all reasonable to assume.  Keep in mind the most important thing regarding roles: Roles are handed out independent of alignment.  You could have a scum Doctor in this setup.

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2116 on: July 15, 2014, 11:51:50 am »

(Doctor used as an example of "here is a role that directly benefits Town if in Town hands" rather than "I bet there is a Doctor in this setup")

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2117 on: July 15, 2014, 11:52:12 am »

Well, we know the dice-destruction role is scum, because no one has claimed it.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2118 on: July 15, 2014, 11:54:12 am »

My guess is that the other scum role is something very similar, or exactly, what someone has claimed.  Since, as you said, it's not indicative alignment, they can openly claim it as long as there isn't evidence of them using the role in an anti-town way.

The other option is a role that controls the monsters, but my hunch is it's a factional thing, or it's just random.

chairs

• Young Witch
    • View Profile
« Reply #2119 on: July 15, 2014, 12:02:33 pm »

My guess is that the other scum role is something very similar, or exactly, what someone has claimed.  Since, as you said, it's not indicative alignment, they can openly claim it as long as there isn't evidence of them using the role in an anti-town way.

The other option is a role that controls the monsters, but my hunch is it's a factional thing, or it's just random.

I'm strongly suspecting this is a factional thing.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2120 on: July 15, 2014, 12:03:12 pm »

Huh, weird that he says "My role directly inserts an 8 sided die into a players supply" and then goes on to expand how the 8-sided die is inserted quite indirectly.

Yeah, consider it a typo. I think when I was writing that I went and read my role description mid stream and had forgotten the indirect bit and failed to edit the first half. That no one jumped on the contradiction surprised me at the time. I was acutely aware of it post-posting.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2121 on: July 15, 2014, 12:10:49 pm »

So you add a 12-sided die to a target player's supply, and then every die they gain thereafter is an 8-sided die, and their rolls alternate between d12 and d8?

I also don't see how BA could possibly confirm this, since they can still roll d12s.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2122 on: July 15, 2014, 12:11:14 pm »

Can you guys read? Even if I did tamper I can't outright prevent high rolls. At best I can limit half the rolls to 8 or less as the die alternates. More importantly, if I were involved someone would have gained an additional die that no one seems to be claiming. Get a grip, folks.

Don't remember if you've said this.. have you used your roll yet?

I have not exercised my power at all this game. The only way I would do so would be according to a confirmation scheme that had potential to directly benefit Town either via an IC or giving someone a die when they were out. I don't see either happening.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2123 on: July 15, 2014, 12:17:03 pm »

So you add a 12-sided die to a target player's supply, and then every die they gain thereafter is an 8-sided die, and their rolls alternate between d12 and d8?

I also don't see how BA could possibly confirm this, since they can still roll d12s.

No. Let us say I give WW a 12 sided die. WW gets and keeps that die. However, the next person to gain a die, in any way, receives an 8 sided die. I think they only gain a single die but that die is not consumed by rolling although the total dice in supply are. For example let us say BA receives the d8, he had 4 dice before and now his supply shows 5 dice. Let us say he rolls 2 dice. His supply will reduce to 3 dice and in that roll one of the dice can not possibly exceed 8. The next time BA rolls 3 dice. His supply is reduced to zero and one of the three dice rolled cannot exceed 8.

In order to direct who receives the d8 I would have to know who would be the next recipient of dice. The treasure last night, for example, if I had been the one to distribute that treasure I could have been sure of who actually received the d8.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2124 on: July 15, 2014, 12:20:15 pm »

That is a wonky role.
Pages: 1 ... 83 84 [85] 86 87 ... 188  All

Page created in 1.897 seconds with 20 queries.