Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: The Bible of Donald X.  (Read 13763 times)

Reyk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
The Bible of Donald X.
« on: June 20, 2011, 06:10:09 am »

Theory: Do you plan to post all the "Secret History" articles and all the "Designer's diary" articles (former at boardgamenews) - maybe even in a subsub Forum? Would be nice to have them at a glance here too.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
Re: The Bible of Donald X.
« Reply #1 on: June 20, 2011, 11:39:51 am »

Just wanted to say by the way that this part of the forum is just awesome. I had already read a few of these posts, but not nearly all of them, and it's very nice to have them all in one place.

Ditto on adding the Secret History articles, and maybe Donald's recent post on these very forums about most hated cards.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

Axe Knight

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +25
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: June 20, 2011, 03:12:02 pm »

I understand why the forum is read only, but shouldn't the man himself be able to comment and add more? 
An Axe Knight draws near!  Command?

rrenaud

• Administrator
  • Uncivilized Barbarian of Statistics
  • Respect: +1197
    • View Profile
    • CouncilRoom
« Reply #3 on: June 20, 2011, 03:16:17 pm »

IMO, at least if they are all BGG links, I think he can further comment on BGG. 

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6121
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #4 on: June 20, 2011, 03:30:24 pm »

I understand why the forum is read only, but shouldn't the man himself be able to comment and add more? 
He can.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2011, 03:30:39 pm »

Theory: Do you plan to post all the "Secret History" articles and all the "Designer's diary" articles (former at boardgamenews) - maybe even in a subsub Forum? Would be nice to have them at a glance here too.
I do.  I'll add them in later today.  Though I am not sure where the Designer's Diaries are.  If someone had a link (even a broken one) that would be helpful, since archive.org seems to preserve most of them.
« Last Edit: June 20, 2011, 03:33:36 pm by theory »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25671
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2011, 03:33:59 pm »

IMO, at least if they are all BGG links, I think he can further comment on BGG. 
Or in this thread!
I never got around to posting about point counters, and then Doug added one so there was a lot less to say, but obv. keeping open points or what have you is a rules variant, not cheating, and I give everyone permission to play any rules variants they want for any games they want. If you are using a rules variant against an opponent's wishes though, that's obv. cheating, why is that even a question.
I don't know why those threads are read-only, but if you want to discuss a topic, aside from contentious ones that have had threads closed, like the one I snuck in a comment for above, just start a thread and talk about the topic. I bet no-one will mind.

theory

• Administrator
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #7 on: June 20, 2011, 03:36:39 pm »

For now, I decided to keep it closed because I am concerned that it will only further fragment discussion.  Like, I would rather have a "What to Do With Attacks, Generally" thread in the general forum, with occasional references to Donald X's post, than some discussion in the general forum and some more in the Donald X forum.  After all, they span quite a few topics, and they aren't intended as discussion points so much as a reference guide as to "what the game designer intended".

If my plan doesn't actually work out very well, then I'll open it up.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 20, 2011, 03:39:09 pm »

I do.  I'll add them in later today.  Though I am not sure where the Designer's Diaries are.  If someone had a link (even a broken one) that would be helpful, since archive.org seems to preserve most of them.
I'll send you the versions I have, i.e. prior to whatever editing by W. Eric Martin.
Edit: Oh, or just post them.

Reyk

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +24
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 20, 2011, 04:05:07 pm »

This would be great. I really loved this stuff ("King's Court + Possession is good if you've got a five-hour game coming up after this and want to make sure your opponent will be a good sport and stay in for the duration, no matter how badly things go for them.")

And ok, there might be a new one about Cornucopia at some point ;-)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #10 on: June 20, 2011, 05:31:38 pm »

One note: In the Intrigue preview, you mention that when throning a minion, you probably want to get +2 first and then have a choice of what to do second. But if you're going to get the new hand for your second, it's strictly better to do that first, in case you want to redraw twice. Not that this is really a big deal from the design end, but it's general strategy for peeps to know.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: June 20, 2011, 06:00:48 pm »

One note: In the Intrigue preview, you mention that when throning a minion, you probably want to get +2 first and then have a choice of what to do second. But if you're going to get the new hand for your second, it's strictly better to do that first, in case you want to redraw twice. Not that this is really a big deal from the design end, but it's general strategy for peeps to know.
I corrected this in a post immediately replying to the article when it went live, now sadly lost. Obv. you take the hand first, I was not thinking when I wrote that.

guided

• Jester
  • Respect: +94
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: June 20, 2011, 06:04:11 pm »

Heh, that's basically the only piece of strategy advice I will sometimes offer unprompted on isotropic, just because it drives me batty to see people making the mistake. "You know, you could take the new hand first. You might change your mind about wanting the $2."

hughes

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: June 20, 2011, 09:41:41 pm »

I remember the good old days when Donald X was a herbalist, like me.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.082 seconds with 21 queries.