Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Where Woodcutter is a key card  (Read 1953 times)

ThaddeusB

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
Where Woodcutter is a key card
« on: October 14, 2014, 11:39:29 pm »

I found this kingdom to be really fun:

Code: [Select]
Vagrant, Woodcutter, Feodum, Herald, Rats, Smithy, Catacombs, Upgrade, Adventurer, Hunting Grounds
Every card could play a role here (well maybe not Adventurer) as there are all kinds of neat tricks possible with Upgrade.  It only works if you get Woodcutter for the buy though.  Otherwise you end up like my opponent with a hand of 21 and nothing to do but buy 1 Province.

http://gokosalvager.com/static/logprettifier.html?20141014/log.53be12a0e4b00ccce8075fbc.1413343725214.txt

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: Where Woodcutter is a key card
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2014, 07:24:02 am »

Money might be mostly ignorable here, you probably won't need money if you go full upgrade/rats rush for 3-pile. EDIT: I would open rats/woodcutter to get to upgrade. But I would never be ending up with 21 and one (or two) buys.
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 07:25:36 am by liopoil »

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2014, 07:44:28 am »
+1

Money might be mostly ignorable here, you probably won't need money if you go full upgrade/rats rush for 3-pile. EDIT: I would open rats/woodcutter to get to upgrade. But I would never be ending up with 21 and one (or two) buys.

I would feel better about this plan if any of the 5$+'s provided +actions. but the only way to get there is by upgrading catacombs and taking heralds with the trash effect. which is good. just not sure if it's good enough.

but even if woodcutter is good here, it's just good cause it's the only buy. every card with +buy except contraband is sometimes good because it's the only buy.

assemble_me

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: assemble me
  • Dominion stream/yt junkie
  • Respect: +808
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2014, 09:20:28 am »
+1

Exactly this:
but even if woodcutter is good here, it's just good cause it's the only buy. every card with +buy except contraband is sometimes good because it's the only buy.

That's a classic misplay, isn't it? Going for a big engine (with lots of money) never picking up a +Buy...
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 09:22:29 am by assemble_me »
Join the f.ds Dominion league | My Twitch channel

... and none of his posts shall remain unedited

ThaddeusB

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +140
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2014, 11:04:21 am »

That's pretty much what I did, although I went Herald\Woodcutter and waited until my second 4 for Rats.  On my last 3 turns, I started upgrading things to Gold and playing the Gold on the same turn, as I was easily drawing my whole deck.  Before that I had just 1 silver (and a few Cooper I hadn't trashed yet.)  Obviously, Upgrade is the main key as you have a nice progression of actions from 2 to 6 and the tricks upgrade Rats->5 for +1 card; upgrade Catacombs->Hunting Grounds/Gold+Herald; and even "upgrade" Hunting Grounds->Duchy in the end game.  However, without the buys from Woodcutter, it would have been pointless to build.  The +4 coins from my two Woodcutters was pretty crucial too.

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2014, 03:14:02 pm »

Not pointless to build, I think this kingdom will three-pile before you can dig into provinces. rats will run, upgrades will run, and estates will run from trashing hunting grounds. Pretty sure I would never take a gold over HG. Yeah, +action would make me feel better about it too, but it's fine as it is. also, not getting a +buy is sometimes okay. I think I remember seeing a game where stef chose nothing over herbalist early, then bought an herbalist later for 20 coins or something, and it was the right play both times.

CG19

• Baron
  • Respect: +22
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2014, 03:29:41 pm »

Upgrade has a lot of interesting targets here. I think Rats is the right move, but I would also enjoy trying something with Upgrade/Feodum and upgrading Feodum to Catacombs, then upgrading catacombs to Hunting Grounds and gaining a Feodum. Later you could trash the HG for some duchies. I'm sure this engine couldn't compete, but it definitely sounds fun. Upgrade is the key card here either way.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.39 seconds with 21 queries.