Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Moral quandry....about travelling to work  (Read 10889 times)

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
Re: Moral quandry....about travelling to work
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2014, 04:44:11 pm »

You can tell me, it's fine.

There's a reason for the house prices being so high.... Sort of. Heh
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
  • Respect: +114
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2014, 04:50:06 pm »

I just insured a house for $78,000, the people bought it last week for $24,000

Edit: there is no reasoning behind any housing market...
« Last Edit: May 08, 2014, 04:51:08 pm by mcmcsalot »
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: May 08, 2014, 05:07:07 pm »

Here in the US at least things are now looking up... our 4-BR house that we bought for $130k is now almost back up to worth $110k.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: May 08, 2014, 05:15:26 pm »

My parents bought a house for something like $80k and sold it for something like $200k.  It was a huge house, but in horrible condition.  Over the years we lived there we fixed it up a lot.  It was nice getting the house we live in now without any mortgage.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: May 08, 2014, 05:15:41 pm »

Here in the US at least things are now looking up... our 4-BR house that we bought for $130k is now almost back up to worth $110k.

Don't forget the nicely-sized lot you probably have, too.

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: May 08, 2014, 06:41:09 pm »

Housing markets are awful, especially in London, going up about 10% a year.
2 bedroomed flats in really crappy areas are about £180k at the moment.
To buy an actual house anywhere in London where your likely not to get stabbed on your doorstep is at least £300k

Moving closer isn't an option, as work is in the middle of nowhere and I like to go out in london
Have you considered Michigan? According to Neil Gaiman, in Michigan you can get an Addams Family house for what in London would get you a parking space.

It's interesting that when you cite how expensive houses are in London, I think, wow, how affordable. Half a million dollars does not get you out of get-stabbed territory here in the SF bay area.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: May 08, 2014, 06:58:39 pm »

Have you considered Michigan? According to Neil Gaiman, in Michigan you can get an Addams Family house for what in London would get you a parking space.

It's interesting that when you cite how expensive houses are in London, I think, wow, how affordable. Half a million dollars does not get you out of get-stabbed territory here in the SF bay area.

I did not realize you were in SF Bay.  I know about housing prices there, I don't think I want to move anywhere near there, ever.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #32 on: May 08, 2014, 07:12:12 pm »
+1

London housing prices are no joke.  When I was there for work, I saw neighborhoods where you would be embarrassed to park your BMW.  There was one street with literally nothing but supercars down the line.  And all of the beautiful, gorgeous, astronomically priced houses on the street were empty, of course, since it was only their tenant's 12th home.

AHoppy

• Jester
  • Respect: +529
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: May 08, 2014, 07:46:05 pm »

I went to the same place that theory was at when I was in London... We saw a Gold plated Bugatti Veyron...

I'm going to be about 30 min from work over the summer (I think...  I haven't actually driven it yet) and that was about my limit. 

I remember my parents moved into our first house and it was advertised as "the cheapest house in Fairfax" when I used to live in VA.  I think when we left we sold it for ~40k.  But my parents were really upset when a few years ago, like 12 years after we moved away, the  house sold for ~300k.  And it was tiny.

ashersky

• Mountebank
  • 2013/2014/2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
  • Respect: +1520
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: May 08, 2014, 08:52:00 pm »
+8

Since you are in London, can you just travel by Floo or Portkey?
f.ds Mafia Board Moderator

2013, 2014, 2015 Mafia Mod of the Year
2015 f.ds Representative, World Forum Mafia Championships
2013, 2014 Mafia Player of the Year (Tie)

11x MVP: M30, M83, ZM16, M25, M38, M61, M76, RMM5, RMM41, RMM46, M51

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: May 08, 2014, 09:18:33 pm »

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: May 09, 2014, 01:58:03 am »
+1

I usually hate BuzzFeed, but this article seemed relevant:

http://www.buzzfeed.com/jessicamisener/private-islands-that-are-cheaper-than-an-apartment-in-san
For a mere 2 million, you can get a 3000 sq. ft. house in the lower Berkeley hills that scientists predict a giant fissure in the earth will open beneath within the next 30 years. Plus, walking distance to shops.

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: May 09, 2014, 08:36:50 am »
+1

To buy an actual house anywhere in London where your likely not to get stabbed on your doorstep is at least £300k

Moving closer isn't an option, as work is in the middle of nowhere and I like to go out in london

I'm pretty sure the commute from Michigan would take a little longer but id have to google maps it to find out.

the 300k was for a bad area, just not a terrible area.

The trouble is in the UK prices seem to be determined by number of bedrooms, rather than actual size. Which is stupid.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-30151719.html?premiumA=true

£283 for 69sq meters on the outskirts of greater London (45min train ride from nearest station to Waterloo)

Thisisnotasmile

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +676
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: May 09, 2014, 01:51:36 pm »

I'm pretty sure the commute from Michigan would take a little longer but id have to google maps it to find out.

The trouble is in the UK prices seem to be determined by number of bedrooms, rather than actual size. Which is stupid.

http://www.rightmove.co.uk/new-homes-for-sale/property-30151719.html?premiumA=true

£283 for 69sq meters on the outskirts of greater London (45min train ride from nearest station to Waterloo)

I actually clicked on that link planning to buy the property. Turns out you forgot to mention three zeros... and that it's in Croydon.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: May 13, 2014, 05:07:28 pm »

My dad owns some property over there, around the corner from where he grew up in the sunset district. They're really old buildings and I can't imagine them being that expensive.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

Ozle

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: May 13, 2014, 05:24:31 pm »

I actually clicked on that link planning to buy the property. Turns out you forgot to mention three zeros... and that it's in Croydon.

Yeah, up your way I would imagine £283 is about right isn't it?
With stunning views if t'pit?

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
  • Respect: +1097
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: May 13, 2014, 11:40:03 pm »

20-22ish minutes bike commute to work - it's great!

Also, I used to work at a mortgage company here in Chicago. Housing prices...ergh.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.696 seconds with 21 queries.