Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Author Topic: I just bought an N64  (Read 27248 times)

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
Re: I just bought an N64
« Reply #75 on: May 06, 2014, 07:26:12 pm »

"I, Garland, will knock you all down!!"

I run a Pathfinder game on Sundays, and whenever we have 4 or fewer players (out of 6), I run a light side campaign based on the original Final Fantasy. You'll be happy to know that I preserved Garland's famous line. In this game he was a 3rd-level antipaladin. As it turns out, he did not knock all the PCs down, although I think he did knock down the party paladin. Right know they're outside Elfheim (Elfland in the original NES translation).

Although I can recognize some of its flaws today, Final Fantasy VI is still my favorite game in the series. It shocks me that it's not well-liked in Japan. It's almost certainly the most well-crafted Final Fantasy. I do love Final Fantasy IV and VII, though. V and IX are quite good. Haven't ever finished X. VIII was marred by awful systems. II and III just don't hold up today. Did I miss any? No, I think that's all the Final Fantasy games.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 06, 2014, 07:38:51 pm »

I don't know what people see in FF V. The job system was cute and very exploitable (which kinda was what made it fun), but the story was downright atrocious, and the cutscenes took forever without actually advancing the plot; I remember a particularly offensive one with a flying/landing dragon, I couldn't believe the game was so happily wasting my time. There were a couple funny lines of dialogue here and there and Gilgamesh was cool in his own way, but man, the writing was overall terrible. I would have understood all this as a symptom of earlier videogame history, but FF IV has a perfectly serviceable story, so there's no real excuse!

I played the GBA remake, BTW.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 07:43:06 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 06, 2014, 07:48:56 pm »

I don't know what people see in FF V. The job system was cute and very exploitable (which kinda was what made it fun), but the story was downright atrocious, and the cutscenes took forever without actually advancing the plot; I remember a particularly offensive one with a flying/landing dragon, I couldn't believe the game was so happily wasting my time. There were a couple funny lines of dialogue here and there and Gilgamesh was cool in his own way, but man, the writing was overall terrible. I would have understood all this as a symptom of earlier videogame history, but FF IV has a perfectly serviceable story, so there's no real excuse!

I played the GBA remake, BTW.

I liked the system of FFV.  I don't remember paying a whole lot of credence to the story.  Going through all the different jobs was fun for me.  Don't ask me why.  It's part of the reason I like Tactics so much.  (Of course, Tactics had awesome game play and a good story.  But I just like that job system, and it was really cool for me to see the origin of it.  (I had played FFV after the other FFTactics and others.).)

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #78 on: May 06, 2014, 08:06:12 pm »

Although I can recognize some of its flaws today, Final Fantasy VI is still my favorite game in the series. It shocks me that it's not well-liked in Japan.

Should clarify I'm basing this off of polls published online over the years, hearsay from a couple of friends who live in Japan, and the fact that Square releases remakes and spiritual sequels to basically every game in the series except 6 (until very recently).  I would assume it has a fanbase there, but they are apparently not large enough to influence Square-Enix, whereas there's clearly a demand for FF1-4, 7 and 10 stuff. In some respects, it makes sense.  The atmosphere of the game is pretty different from the games that preceded it, which might have bugged longtime fans, and it didn't have the advantage of 'brand new' FMV technology and such that 7 did.  From a western perspective, it was the third game we got, and we missed out on the goofier, more lighthearted games in the series that were part of its charm beforehand.  For the record, FFVI is my favorite too.

As for FF5, it's in my personal top 3 in the series, though I do recognize its flaws, so I understand where you are coming from, pacovf. One of the reasons I love the game is its silly, almost parodic tone, which is better captured in other games, but is still something I enjoy; Galuf is also a character I like quite a bit. I have played the game through at least 30 times.  For a long time, there were not a lot of jrpgs that were as customize-able for challenge runs, which was something I very much enjoyed doing. Lately, Dark/Demon's Souls are filling that void for me.  FF5's definitely not a game for everyone, but then neither is FF2 nor FF8.  (For the record, I'm one of those people who considers everything released post-Sakaguchi 'non-canon' whether it's good or not, so I'm leaving some examples out of this)

Re: Witherweaver, the origin of the job system actually goes back to FF3, though 5's version is much more robust.  Both of them are games I like quite a bit, thought FFT is the king of those to me.  (Bravely Default was there for me until it went completely off the deep end)
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:08:21 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 06, 2014, 08:07:43 pm »

The FF6 story was one of the best, I think. 

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: May 06, 2014, 08:10:34 pm »

Did we ever get ports of FFTactics sequels, or anything to that extent?

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: May 06, 2014, 08:21:09 pm »
+1

Yes.  There is one sequel on game boy advance and one on ds.  I'm not a fan, and people seem divided on them in general, though it's mostly a matter of people who played fft first disliking ffta, and people who never played the original not caring.  There is a psp port of final fantasy tactics that had some extras but also added a bunch of lag that is very distracting.  Fft has a modding community that has produced some cool hacks too.  My favorite is lft.

If you want to play another tactics game, I would recommend tactics ogre (luct) instead. It was a super famicom game ported to ps1 overseas, and the psp version is a total overhaul that I personally liked a lot more in spite of having a ridiculously over the top translation.  Tactics ogre was also designed by matsuno, and fft was a spiritual successor to it.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 08:22:33 pm by jsh357 »
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #82 on: May 06, 2014, 08:36:23 pm »

Yes.  There is one sequel on game boy advance and one on ds.  I'm not a fan, and people seem divided on them in general, though it's mostly a matter of people who played fft first disliking ffta, and people who never played the original not caring.  There is a psp port of final fantasy tactics that had some extras but also added a bunch of lag that is very distracting.  Fft has a modding community that has produced some cool hacks too.  My favorite is lft.

If you want to play another tactics game, I would recommend tactics ogre (luct) instead. It was a super famicom game ported to ps1 overseas, and the psp version is a total overhaul that I personally liked a lot more in spite of having a ridiculously over the top translation.  Tactics ogre was also designed by matsuno, and fft was a spiritual successor to it.

I've been playing Spectral Souls, Blazing Souls, and now Record of Agarest war for Android.  All tactics-based. 

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: May 06, 2014, 08:46:24 pm »

Oh, I absolutely loved the job system in FFV, it was the only reason I played it to the end. Although I am not sure if the hundreds of ways it can be exploited are there intentionally or not. If you explore all areas before going to the end boss, he's a piece of cake, as in you might as well beat him in a single turn (ignoring phase changes and stuff). The GBA remake added completely ludicrous optional bosses just so that you had something challenging to do by (and after) endgame.
But I didn't feel like the story was parodic. The plot didn't feel very self-aware to me, nor were there any lampshade hanging to tell you to just relax and enjoy the "oh hey there's crystals let's go collect them" and lack of characters (interesting or otherwise!), I always felt like the story was an afterthought just to point the players towards the new gameplay. But I guess not playing the "sillier" first three games might taint my view on the subject.

FF VI story wasn't as great as people make it sound (if you take all the fluff away, it's not really groundbreaking; and the second half is reeeeaaaaally slooooooooow), BUT it mixed gameplay with the story very well, and the way it told the story was, and still is, pretty much non-standard. And also there's the opera. I'd definitely wish more games had that level of work on their plot.

I haven't played many FFs though, so I am mainly comparing with other RPGs. My personal favourite (aside from the silly greatness of Paper Mario and the Thousand-year Door) is Golden Sun, but that might be slightly tainted by nostalgia: it was the first RPG I finished (Pokemon doesn't count). Also its wonderfully designed interface spoilt me for every other RPG that I played afterwards.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: May 06, 2014, 08:47:18 pm »

Should clarify I'm basing this off of polls published online over the years, hearsay from a couple of friends who live in Japan, and the fact that Square releases remakes and spiritual sequels to basically every game in the series except 6 (until very recently).  I would assume it has a fanbase there, but they are apparently not large enough to influence Square-Enix, whereas there's clearly a demand for FF1-4, 7 and 10 stuff. In some respects, it makes sense.  The atmosphere of the game is pretty different from the games that preceded it, which might have bugged longtime fans, and it didn't have the advantage of 'brand new' FMV technology and such that 7 did.

I guess that's true. My housemate nailed it when he said that Final Fantasy VI is all about regret.

When I think about what I like about FFV, the job system probably ranks a strong second place. First place goes to the innovative boss battles. For a Final Fantasy game, especially compared to its SNES brethren, FFV had very interesting bosses that required specific, often gimmicky strategies.

Did we ever get ports of FFTactics sequels, or anything to that extent?

If you have a PSP or a Vita, or any way to play PSP software, you owe it to yourself to play the Tactics Ogre remake. Tactics Ogre was made by the same people that made Final Fantasy Tactics. It's got all the really tactical battles (like FFTactics and unlike, say, Disgaea) and other things that made FFTactics great, but with most of the annoyances and downsides removed. It's…really good. I'm trying to recall some of my favorite things about it without spoiling too much.

• It's got a fantastic plot with lots of political intrigue, like FFT. In addition, the plot branches.
• Instead of getting experience and job points based on each action a unit takes, experience is just divided up evenly among all your troops after a battle. No more hitting then healing an enemy (or ally) a bunch of times in order to make sure one of your units isn't falling behind in XP. You can just concentrate on ACTUALLY WINNING THE BATTLE. Which is awesome, because the battles are tough.
• In fact, characters don't even have levels. Instead, your jobs just level up for the whole party. This means that if you want to hire a new archer, you don't have to slog him/her up from Level 1. The new archer will just be the same level as all your other archers. That may sound lame because it seems like all your characters are interchangeable, but that's because I haven't told you that…
• It's got an incredible skill system. Although it's your Jobs that get the XP, all characters in a battle get Skill Points that they can use to buy cool skills, both passive and active. If memory serves, you can assign, like, 10 of these to a character at a time.
• There is a crafting system. The one issue with it is that crafting can fail, but not really because you can just save right before attempting it and try until it works. That's probably my biggest gripe about the game. But the things you actually can craft are cool. Each piece of equipment can be upgraded once, usually to a new item that's called "ItemName +1". Not very creative naming, but the neat thing is that in addition to giving a stat boost, the upgrade will usually also bestow a specific, interesting property to the item, like a spear that lowers your targets' defense.
• There are a ton of cool items, ranging from run-of-the-mill healing potions, to crafting materials, to stat-boosting and stat-reducing items. My favorite example is: there is an item that makes it rain. Are you at the bottom of a hill with a bunch of archers at the top? If you've played FFT, you know how deadly that can be. Make it rain! Good luck hitting my army through pouring rain, archers!

It's just a phenomenal game. In fact, I think I have to go play it again now. I haven't yet finished it, but that's more a reflection on me than on the game itself. Also, there are some side quests in the final chapter that take a sudden jump in level.
« Last Edit: May 06, 2014, 10:36:12 pm by LastFootnote »

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: May 06, 2014, 08:56:25 pm »

FF VI story wasn't as great as people make it sound (if you take all the fluff away, it's not really groundbreaking; and the second half is reeeeaaaaally slooooooooow), BUT it mixed gameplay with the story very well, and the way it told the story was, and still is, pretty much non-standard. And also there's the opera. I'd definitely wish more games had that level of work on their plot.

For me, interesting, engaging characters are more important than a creative plot. Final Fantasy VI wins the character award hands-down, apart from some significant exceptions in the second half of the game. The problem is that there are only three characters you actually have to get in the World of Ruin: Celes, Edgar, and Setzer. This means that whenever you recruit another character, that character has character-specific dialog, but your party really doesn't. Who in my party is speaking so eloquently to Cyan? Is it Gau? UMARO?!?

Specifically, you probably have Sabin by the time you recruit Edgar. When this finally happens, Sabin does get one line if you have him, but Edgar doesn't even acknowledge his brother's presence. Come on, Square! You can do better than that!

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: May 06, 2014, 09:17:32 pm »

@Tactics - I've only played Knight of Lodis. Many times, though. Other stuff just as good, I assume?

jsh357

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: May 06, 2014, 09:25:09 pm »

@Tactics - I've only played Knight of Lodis. Many times, though. Other stuff just as good, I assume?

Knight of Lodis is pretty much TO lite.  It's not bad, though it does run very slowly.  LUCT is much more expansive  (it has a law, neutral and chaos route with different missions in addition to a lengthy main quest).  I did like the achievement stars or whatever it was you could earn on your characters in KoL, though.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: May 06, 2014, 10:31:43 pm »

On the subject of nostalgia, I think my all-time nostalgic games (outside of FF2 (IV) maybe) are Shining Force and Shining Force II for Genesis.  I think they were the first Tactical RPG's I ever played, and among my my all-time favorites.

What sucks is the series went the SEGA line, so everything was on SEGA CD or SEGA portable systems, which I never had.  They finally brought games in the series back with PS2, but they're action-adventure games instead of tactical RPGs.

Did you ever get that FFIV/Chrono Trigger set on PS1 with those added cutscenes? It was pretty cool but I never got through it all. Same with Chrono Cross.
I got the FFIV/Chrono combo pack. I even got through them both, despite the annoying battle load times on Chrono trigger. FF4 has a decent story, but it's missing a lot the content and flair that makes FF6 and subsequent games so entertaining. I never tried FF5, but I can always get it on the PlayStation Network if I so desire.

Edit: The long load times of Chrono Trigger are only present on the PS version. The SNES version must be so much better without them.

FF4 missing content and flair?  Blasphemy!  Palom and Porom!  Cid!  Rydia!  Plus you got that one dude Edward so you could be so happy that he finally dies!

Well, FF6 has a lot of content.  My main problem (perhaps the only real flaw) with FF6 is that it introduce the "play a shit ton of mini games instead of playing the actual game in order to get items that are otherwise unattainable".  To me that sent a bad thread through the Final Fantasy games which really brought itself to head in FFX, almost entirely dismantling my enjoyment of the game at times.   

But anyway, FF4 is my nostalgic game of the FF series.  And, like most of the American players, it was my first Final Fantasy game after the original, so it was a huge jump up in terms of character development and personality for me.
By the end, all you did in FF4 was level grind and cast reflect. At least, that's how I remembered it. Though, I was impressed at how FF4 got away with not having a character select option. Your party was always decided by the plot.

Never played FFX, but I'd be impressed if it was more about the mini-games than FF8 AKA Final Fantasy Transmute: Triple Triad Edition.

Google how to get the ultimate weapons in FFX.  Pretty sure I've never screamed so hard at my console as when I was trying to do these.  I think I only finished half of them.  I suppose there wasn't a single thing as prevalent as the card game in FF8, but there are so many of them.  And they're such a pain, and you have to have perfect reactions.  Made me want to hurt things.

I really don't mind grinding.  I mean, that's kind of what Final Fantasy games are.. you grind, explore, fight boss battles, and read along with the story.  That's kind of what I like.  You can always increase the challenge by grinding less and going for battles ahead of your level.
The descriptions on how to power the FFX ultimate weapons srem both extremely varied and absurdly time-consuming.

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: May 07, 2014, 12:53:21 pm »
+5

So this story has a happy ending. A friend of mine stopped by last night and got my N64 working. He lifted up the cartridge, blew into it NES style and put it back in. Problem solved. Apparently when the game isn't working the signal isn't sent at all to the TV. Who knew? Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna get lost in Ocarina of Time.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 12:55:10 pm by AndrewisFTTW »
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: May 07, 2014, 12:54:38 pm »

So this story has a happy ending. A friend of mine stopped by last night and my N64 working. He lifted up the cartridge, blew into it NES style and put it back in. Problem solved. Apparently when the game isn't working the signal isn't sent at all to the TV. Who knew?

Now you can enjoy all those games you missed out on 15 years ago.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: May 07, 2014, 01:02:06 pm »

<snip>
The descriptions on how to power the FFX ultimate weapons srem both extremely varied and absurdly time-consuming.

Each one is a crazy minigame that is frustrating as hell.  Especially the ones that rely on response time.  The one with the lightning spires, you have to hit the right button in response to things and it gets faster and faster.  Another one you have to catch butterflies before they disappear, or before the timer goes.  I'd rather just grind for random rare drops.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: May 07, 2014, 01:34:05 pm »
+3

So this story has a happy ending. A friend of mine stopped by last night and got my N64 working. He lifted up the cartridge, blew into it NES style and put it back in. Problem solved. Apparently when the game isn't working the signal isn't sent at all to the TV. Who knew? Now if you'll excuse me, I'm gonna get lost in Ocarina of Time.

I told you this back in the first page!!!!

Why don't people ever listen!?!?

RAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHG!!!!!!!!
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 01:35:20 pm by pacovf »

AndrewisFTTW

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1084
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: May 07, 2014, 01:41:22 pm »

Because the TV wasn't getting a signal at all. I had no idea the game would be to blame for that.
Wins: M39, M41, M48, M96, M97, M102, M105
Losses: M40, M43, M45, BM17 (?), RMM13, RMM17, RMM20, NM7, ZM18, M100, M109
MVPs: M97
Mod/Co-Mod: M46, M49, M52, NM10

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: May 07, 2014, 01:44:51 pm »
+3

Because the TV wasn't getting a signal at all. I had no idea the game would be to blame for that.

I find your lack of faith... disturbing.

EDIT: I think the N64 has no software by itself, so if there's no game (or the game isn't working), there's no signal to be sent to the TV. Think old VHS player.
« Last Edit: May 07, 2014, 02:00:17 pm by pacovf »

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: May 07, 2014, 02:57:21 pm »
+1

And we wonder why tech support people ask us to do the stupidest things.

4) Try a different game -- it may be the cartridge

I at least assumed you had tried the blow-into-the-cartridge-trick. ;)

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: May 07, 2014, 03:17:10 pm »

My N64 still makes a black screen if the cartridge doesn't work...
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: May 07, 2014, 03:40:15 pm »
+1

I salute your earlier identification of the source of the problem, but since we are in the forum we are in, I have to point out the edge case where your solution doesn't work but mine does: all the cartridges AndrewisFTTW has haven't seen any recent use and as such need to be blown into to function.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: May 07, 2014, 06:53:01 pm »
+1

Again, if only your TV wasn't so modern, this never would have been an issue. That static blip when you first turn on the console is priceless.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: May 07, 2014, 06:56:38 pm »

I salute your earlier identification of the source of the problem, but since we are in the forum we are in, I have to point out the edge case where your solution doesn't work but mine does: all the cartridges AndrewisFTTW has haven't seen any recent use and as such need to be blown into to function.
I know this is not recommended, but blowing into the N64 itself sometimes creates miracles. The recommended cleaning method is to use a cotton swab dipped in drying alcohol to clean the cartridge connectors.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5  All

Page created in 2.8 seconds with 21 queries.