Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Author Topic: GokoDom III: Playoff Round Results and Discussion  (Read 98416 times)

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
GokoDom III: Playoff Round Results and Discussion
« on: April 19, 2014, 01:15:18 pm »
+14

The time is here.  We have our top 16, and it's time to finish this off.

The final bracket is here:  https://docs.google.com/spreadsheet/ccc?key=0AkuKfENQMyHadE9iM3Zzd3g4WVBrYV9Mb2ZWOWM5aEE&usp=drive_web#gid=17

This is the same spreadsheet, and it also has final standings (uncorrected for defaults, etc.)

Go ahead and post results and discussion both in this thread; there will be fewer matches in all four rounds here than in any given Swiss round, so keeping them all nice and neat isn't as important.

--------

IMPORTANT:  Because this is a playoff, drawn matches are not going to work.  If you're tied after 6 matches, you may do one of the following, which you should agree on in advance:

(1)  Play a seventh game.  The higher seed will be first player.  This is the default except for the final match.
(2)  Continue playing in the same manner as usual until one player, after an even number of games, leads by 1 or more* game points.

While I'd love to see a Connor/McEnroe style tiebreaker set, especially if it's streamed, I don't really expect any pairing to take option (2).

--------

The finals match is special.  It will use the finalists of the Design Contest for kingdoms.  The winning player will need to have 4 points after 6 games, or 4.5 points after 7 or 8 games.  If the match is tied 4-4, the finals will continue via option 2 above.  No sudden-death tiebreaker games.

Obviously, that may require more than one session.  If it does, the players should stop at a tied score, and start from that tied score at their next session.

It is crazy of me to hope we'll see the finals match take 12-14 games? :)

--------

I want to give a couple of BIG shout-outs here.  Qvist and AdamH acted as volunteers through the whole tournament, filling in scores on the spreadsheet, which allowed me the time to ignore the individual scores and look at the big picture.  Please find a post or three of theirs and give them some +1s!

I also want to give a separate thank you to Max_D, who is way down at the bottom.  A lot of people drop out early when they're sitting on 2 or 3 points after 4 rounds.  Max won his first match by a default, and his best actual played match was a single tie--yet he stuck around and played his final match despite being 0-4-1 against human opponents.

--------

All right, qualifiers.  Round 1 is due by next Monday (28 April) at the normal times.  Do, or do not.  There is no try.  Good luck.

--------

*This previously read "1.5 or more," but was changed as discussed further down the thread.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 09:04:42 pm by Kirian »
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

hsiale

• Duke
  • Respect: +244
    • View Profile
Re: GokoDom III: Playoff Round Results and Discussion
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 01:38:27 pm »
+4

While I'd love to see a Connor/McEnroe style tiebreaker set, especially if it's streamed, I don't really expect any pairing to take option (2).
Maybe even a Mahut-Isner style one?

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 08:03:51 pm »
+1

3 points after 4 games are still a winning condition? Or is best to 3.5 from now on? I advocate for the former.

EDIT: More questions.

Option (1) of tie-breaking, assuming a shared victory on the 7th game, goes on simply alternating starting player until someone is the only victor, right?

Option (2), why is a lead of 1.5 games required? I think the winner should be anyone with a lead after an even number of games.

Also, you say tha the finals may require more than one session. Is it ok to use more than one session for other games, right? In case of necessity or technical issues or whatever.
« Last Edit: April 19, 2014, 08:13:45 pm by soulnet »

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 09:03:35 pm »
+1

3 points after 4 games are still a winning condition? Or is best to 3.5 from now on? I advocate for the former.

Yes, going 3-0 or 3-1 is still a win condition.

Option (1) of tie-breaking, assuming a shared victory on the 7th game, goes on simply alternating starting player until someone is the only victor, right?

Yes, that's correct.

Option (2), why is a lead of 1.5 games required? I think the winner should be anyone with a lead after an even number of games.

Because I wasn't thinking about the numbers closely when I wrote that.  A tie and a win from a 3-3 tie is 1.5 points for the winner, but also gives the loser 0.5 points.  So that ought to say 1 point, not 1.5.  I'll change that when I'm finished here.

Also, you say tha the finals may require more than one session. Is it ok to use more than one session for other games, right? In case of necessity or technical issues or whatever.

Oh yes, obviously.  I know a lot of matches throughout the season get played in two sessions just because of time constraints.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

shark_bait

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: shark_bait
  • Luckyfin and Land of Hinter for iso aliases
  • Respect: +1868
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2014, 09:35:10 pm »
+8

Hello.  Name's Bruce.  It's all right.  I understand.  Why trust a shark, right?

Is quite curious - Who is the mystical "Celestial Chameleon"?

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 04:32:43 pm »
+29

AdamH defeats SheCantSayNo

AdamH 4, SheCantSayNo 2

Entire stream video on Twitch
Video Playlist on YouTube

So I'm up against one of the best people in the world and my tournament life is on the line (well it's going to be that way the rest of the time). I've played several games against SCSN before, most of them on video or stream, and I can count the ones I've won on one hand. He's the kind of opponent where you remember all your wins against them because he's that good -- I'll certainly never forget any of mine.

We agreed before the match that we'd use point counter and disallow the use of Black Market, Tournament, Knights, Swindler, and IGG. The Kingdom Generator was very useful for making this happen seamlessly and making it so I didn't have to look at the kingdom before starting the game, so shout-outs to AI and everyone who worked on Salvager for making that possible. I'm glad both SCSN and I could have a customized Dominion experience that we were both relatively happy with.

In matches against people like this (AI, MQ, Robz) I've gone into them previously with the attitude that I just want to win one game and I'd be happy. I end up playing poorly and not winning any games, so I decided to not let my self-confidence take a hit at any point. Play good Dominion and good things will happen to you.

Game 1: AdamH 48, SheCantSayNo 61
Game Log     Twitch Highlight     YouTube Video
Kingdom Cards: Lighthouse, Chancellor, Cutpurse, Monument, Wandering Minstrel, Cache, Embassy, Jester, Minion, Vault

Strong Big Money enablers here with Embassy and Vault, but I talk myself out of that in favor of a Minion engine that plays lots of Monuments, even with no +Buy or trashing. It's a mirror and in that case it's time to green before you can really start playing Monuments. I win the Minion split 6-4 but things don't seem to line up for me quite as well as they do for him (maybe because he got more Lighthouses?) and he has a good position throughout the endgame, enough to take advantage of just one bad shuffle for me and win comfortably.

I don't have the chat from this game but some people told me later that I misplayed this one pretty badly. I'm not really sure what I could have done better -- I think going for Monuments has to be better than not going for them at all, maybe I should have found more time for more Lighthouses?

Game 2: SheCantSayNo 46, AdamH 38
Kingdom Cards: Lighthouse, Secret Chamber, Oasis, Sage, Horse Traders, Market, Royal Seal, Harem, Hoard, King's Court

So there's King's Court but no trashing and really no draw. With Horse Traders into Harem/Hoard as a Big Money enabler, it's just a stronger and more consistent option, so we both go for it. He gets Sages to open and I get Silvers (I still like Silvers better) but he ends up winning the game anyways.

Game 3: SheCantSayNo 34, AdamH 49
Kingdom Cards: Cellar, Embargo, Pearl Diver, Tunnel, Militia, Mining Village, Navigator, Count, Laboratory, Nobles

My worst nightmares are starting to come true: I'm down 0-2 and Tunnel is clearly a monster. I open 2/5 which has to be pretty fortunate, thin down quickly with the help of Labs and start to mass Golds. I made one questionable decision after drawing a bunch with Labs and discarding two Tunnels to trash my hand, which contained three of my last five remaining starting cards and one Gold. I could have taken the money and got a Province instead, and it's not clear here what the right move was, but I kind of like this play (imagine that, I like building more instead of greening).

For the rest of the game, the chat became hilarious here, saying I should trash my hand (with like 3 Golds and multiple Provinces) every time I played Count. You people are weird.

Anyways, SCSN does some really weird stuff by trashing his Militia at a weird moment, Embargoing Provinces once and going for lesser VP cards that I still don't quite understand. I have to convince myself that I'm playing better and just to stick with my strategy, which I do and I'm able to win comfortably.

Game 4: AdamH 26, SheCantSayNo 17
Kingdom Cards: Oracle, Island, Navigator, Noble Brigand, Nomad Camp, Sea Hag, Taxman, Worker's Village, Highway, Venture

Highway+Worker's Village looks pretty sexy here, with Oracle for extra draw, but there's Sea Hag and the only thinning is Island. So the attack is very important early, but how do you go out of it? Do you go for a Highway megaturn or do you go for more money? I don't think the engine is explosive enough, and I hit a couple of $6 turns so I load up on Golds while just making an appearance on the Highway split while SCSN goes fully for the engine. I get a few Provinces ahead and his deck is starting to come together, but with Curses and Highways already out he's limited in the components he can buy, and gives me an opening to pile out Oracles with a small lead.

The chat seemed to think that a second Sea Hag was good here, I think Island is just as good as a second Hag, myself. Also they didn't like me getting Ventures without getting Taxman, but by the time I was able to divert a buy to get a Taxman it was probably too late to make use out of it (maybe this is wrong?) and I think Venture was better than Highway for me by that point, particularly after the Highways were gone. My deck at that point was focused on playing Golds, which were my key cards, so they couldn't be skipped by Venture. Is this good reasoning?

If SCSN had played his second-to-last turn differently, namely buying one less Oracle, the endgame could have gone *very* differently, and a win for him would have sealed the match here.

Game 5: AdamH 89, SheCantSayNo 74
Kingdom Cards: Pearl Diver, Stonemason, Bishop, Fortress, Quarry, Remodel, Thief, Walled Village, Adventurer, Fairgrounds

Bishop/Fortress mirror. There's no draw so you can't do more than 12 points per turn (or can you? See below) so as first player and getting some fortunate draws I'm able to get set up to the point where I'm in a position to comfortably pile out Pearl Divers and actually win the game with enough of a lead (none of this buying-the-second-to-last-card-results-in-a-loss-for-both-players stalemate that can come up). SCSN makes a questionable (or is it? See below) play by buying a fifth Bishop, allowing for potential stall turns.

Anyways, with "mate-in-two" looming I decide to stop clicking the correct cards, which squanders my lead and puts us back into stalemate territory. Fortunately for me, with five stop cards in his deck, SCSN eventually hits a stall turn where he doesn't score enough points to stay in contention and I'm able to pile out at this point.

FEATURE REQUEST: with (or without, even) card stacking enabled, always display cards in hand in the same order (alphabetical? Doesn't really matter) so that my stupid Fortress doesn't do that stupid thing that caused the stupid misclick

But anyways, there's a really interesting interaction that I didn't notice until after the game was over with Pearl Diver. If you use your Pearl Divers to make the bottom card of your deck a Bishop, you can potentially get 13 points per turn instead of just 12 if you buy a fifth Bishop. I wonder if the risk of this is enough to justify the increased payload -- might be some interesting math behind that.

Game 6: SheCantSayNo 24, AdamH 36
Kingdom Cards: Native Village, Great Hall, Market Square, Workshop, Envoy, JackOfAllTrades, Band of Misfits, Festival, Merchant Ship, Forge

Jack-in-an-Engine vs. Jack+lots of money enablers. This game was amazing (for me, at least) to play and to have it be the one that gets me the big upset is gravy. This game is totally going into the article ;D.

His deck is really good, getting three Provinces by T10, but I don't panic and manage to score 36 points in just two big turns and that's enough to take it down on T13. This game and the context of this match is probably the best moment I've ever had playing Dominion and I'm really proud of the way this happened.

I compete in tournaments so I can play matches like this. I would have been happy to just keep this close but to win is just amazing, especially coming back from 0-2. Thanks to SCSN for the games.
« Last Edit: April 23, 2014, 11:37:26 am by AdamH »
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 04:39:51 pm »
+7

Okay that is a pretty huge upset.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 22, 2014, 05:13:42 pm »

Because I wasn't thinking about the numbers closely when I wrote that.  A tie and a win from a 3-3 tie is 1.5 points for the winner, but also gives the loser 0.5 points.  So that ought to say 1 point, not 1.5.  I'll change that when I'm finished here.

Is it ever possible to be ahead after an even number of games and not ahead by 1 point or more? How would you end up half a point ahead? I think the rule should just read: "until one player leads after an even number of games."
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 05:14:54 pm by GeoLib »
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 22, 2014, 05:15:21 pm »
+1

Is it ever possible to be ahead after an even number of games and not ahead by 1 point or more? How would you end up half a point ahead?

The difference is always an integer number of points. I guess Kirian wanted to be as close to the original text as possible.

JacquesTheBard

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +249
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 22, 2014, 10:26:48 pm »
+3

How fitting that Adam should win the final glorious game with outstanding use of Jack in an engine.  ;D

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #10 on: April 22, 2014, 11:16:36 pm »
+1

How fitting that Adam should win the final glorious game with outstanding use of Jack in an engine.  ;D

That game is totally going into the article  ;D
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 23, 2014, 03:29:36 am »
+9

ragingduckd defeats Titandrake

Game 1: ragingduckd wins

Code: [Select]
Embargo, Vagrant, Forager, Hermit, Smugglers, Feodum, Scout, Butcher, Cartographer, Expand
I mostly played Butcher-BM while Titandrake went for Feodums with one Hermit, one Butcher, and a Forager that maybe ought to have been another Hermit.  I originally figured there wasn't enough time for Feodum against Butcher-BM, but by T12 I was feeling pretty nervous, so I snagged the last two Feodums.  It was close all the way and I had to gamble on breaking PPR while 6 VP behind.  Luckily, Titandrake didn't have $8 in hand and I was able to end it next turn.

Game 2 titandrake wins

Vineyard, Candlestick Maker, Cellar, Stonemason, Sage, Watchtower, Philosopher's Stone, Salvager, Spice Merchant, Harvest
We both went Vineyards, but we piled up the CMs first.  Looking back, I'm pretty sure that I should have gone double-Sage with my SM overbuy on T5.  By T12, Titandrake had a small lead on actions, but it was still anyone's game.  I threw everything away by Salvaging my Potion instead of buying a fourth Vineyard.  I don't think I can really explain what went wrong in my brain to make me think this was a good idea.

Game 3: ragingduckd wins

Haven, Scrying Pool, Market Square, Bishop, Noble Brigand, Plaza, Rats, Salvager, Scavenger, Council Room
I figured this would be all about using SP to bishop-trash rats, but it ended up with Hermit/MS-style megaturns.  Titandrake's megaturn landed just shy of 3-piling (he had 4 coin tokens, fyi), which caught me totally by surprise.  And I picked up the last 5 Provinces on mine, which surprised me even more.  Incidentally, I had no idea that you could activate a MS twice on the same Rat-trash... is this even right??

Andrew Iannaccone plays Salvager
Andrew Iannaccone trashes Rats
Andrew Iannaccone reveals reaction Market Square
Andrew Iannaccone discards Market Square
Andrew Iannaccone gains Gold
Andrew Iannaccone shuffles deck
Andrew Iannaccone draws Market Square
Andrew Iannaccone reveals reaction Market Square
Andrew Iannaccone discards Market Square
Andrew Iannaccone gains Gold

Game 4: ragingduckd wins

Hermit, Bishop, Treasure Map, Mandarin, Merchant Guild, Mint, Rabble, Torturer, Altar, Bank
So many Madmen, so much Platinum.  We basically mirrored with the plan of using Madmen to buy a Platinum and Mint away everything else.  I drew well with my Madmen and was able to Mint down to a deck of Platinum, Necro, Mint, Mint, Madman.  Titandrake didn't draw quite as well, so couldn't clean up quite as effectively, and was also limited by having trashing his Necro on T6.  The game ended on Colonies on T15 with 11 Platinum between us!
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 23, 2014, 03:58:15 am »
+3

Congrats on your win.

Incidentally, I had no idea that you could activate a MS twice on the same Rat-trash... is this even right??

Yeah, this is right as your opponent can't tell if you drew the same Market Square, another different one or if you had a second Market Square in your hand already.
Cool powerful game btw.

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2854
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 23, 2014, 04:26:55 am »
+2

After the series was finished, I was pretty bummed out because of what I felt like was pretty sloppy play. Pretty much every game, I can tell exactly where I messed up, which is pretty rough because I think I rushed a come of decisions. In retrospect, I don't think it was nearly as bad play as I thought it was.

Video: http://www.twitch.tv/titandrake/b/522276228

Game 1: I think Forager isn't right, but I basically play it once to trash an Estate and then Butcher it. If it was a Hermit, I'd have 1 more Silver and that' it, so it probably wasn't too relevant. The big turn is on T12 when AI buys the last 2 Feodums, it's pretty huge because my Feodums are worth 4 VP by game's end and that's a lot of VP I miss out on.

Game 2: I wasn't intending to build a deck with Potion as my only $3 or higher cost. Once I did, I was planning to buy another Sage, but either bought Vineyard or Stonemason-overpay $2 instead. Got pretty lucky that it kept working out that way, and using Sage as a non-terminal Chancellor was pretty funny.

Game 3: AI's call to open a Silver instead of Market Square is much better. I tried to avoid getting any treasures, but getting the early $4s is pretty important. I get Salvager and Rats after him, and then I'm just playing catch-up. I got a bit on-tilt this game because of my last turn. I didn't think my hand out enough, and didn't realize just how many Golds I was gaining. I'm pretty certain that if I play my last turn correctly, I can 3-pile on a win, but you'll have to watch the video to decide if I'm correct. There's little chance you can figure it out without the graphical help.

Game 4: Honestly, I think trashing Necro hurt, but choosing to gain a Hermit with it was what hurt more. I never manage to trash the rest of my Coppers, and that's that.
« Last Edit: April 24, 2014, 02:24:12 am by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 23, 2014, 01:55:54 pm »
+8

AdamH defeats SheCantSayNo
AdamH 4, SheCantSayNo 2

Hi Adam, congrats on your win. I just watched the stream and you played really well. While watching the first two games, knowing you'd win the match eventually, I strongly expected you to win both. Surprised that you didn't, but from that point on I was anticipating your victory scream at the end. It did not disappoint.

I don't have the chat from this game but some people told me later that I misplayed this one pretty badly. I'm not really sure what I could have done better -- I think going for Monuments has to be better than not going for them at all, maybe I should have found more time for more Lighthouses?
I wasn't in the chat but I think you played really well right up to the point of buying your first province. Skipping minstrell/monument sooner then that is suicide for sure. In fact I would have continued building by alternating between minstrell and monument. He has only 2 of both so I think you can build up to 6 each. After that grab Duchy over Province. Having less lighthouses actually feels like an advantage, they break your minstrell/minion chain.

So there's King's Court but no trashing and really no draw. With Horse Traders into Harem/Hoard as a Big Money enabler, it's just a stronger and more consistent option, so we both go for it. He gets Sages to open and I get Silvers (I still like Silvers better) but he ends up winning the game anyways.
agreed.

Anyways, SCSN does some really weird stuff by trashing his Militia at a weird moment, Embargoing Provinces once and going for lesser VP cards that I still don't quite understand. I have to convince myself that I'm playing better and just to stick with my strategy, which I do and I'm able to win comfortably.
Yeah that was a pretty weird moment. He needed the militia, and even more so he needed the $2 that turn for an Embargo on provinces.

The chat seemed to think that a second Sea Hag was good here, I think Island is just as good as a second Hag, myself. Also they didn't like me getting Ventures without getting Taxman, but by the time I was able to divert a buy to get a Taxman it was probably too late to make use out of it (maybe this is wrong?) and I think Venture was better than Highway for me by that point, particularly after the Highways were gone. My deck at that point was focused on playing Golds, which were my key cards, so they couldn't be skipped by Venture. Is this good reasoning?

If SCSN had played his second-to-last turn differently, namely buying one less Oracle, the endgame could have gone *very* differently, and a win for him would have sealed the match here.
Both players here could have really improved by taking a deep breath halfway and wandering about where this game is going.
He's going for the megaturn, while you're grabbing points where you can.
That implies you'll get an early lead and at some unknown turn number he will get more points then you.
Your main goal is to make the game end before that turn, his main goal is to make it last longer.
-> I would have taken highways over ventures in your position. Not because of the lack of Taxman (that's just a horrible card), but because he just needs every highway he can get and that's already 2 piles out.
-> I was really surprised to see him take the last highway. I think he already has enough at that point that 1 more doesn't really do enough to justify the thread of a 3pile.
-> I would have taken double island over province after that in your position. Again, deplete the piles.
-> Now that you didn't rush islands, he probably could have won indeed by leaving another oracle in the supply. But you shouldn't have left him this chance.
In a position like yours here, really your only goal is to end the game.

But anyways, there's a really interesting interaction that I didn't notice until after the game was over with Pearl Diver. If you use your Pearl Divers to make the bottom card of your deck a Bishop, you can potentially get 13 points per turn instead of just 12 if you buy a fifth Bishop. I wonder if the risk of this is enough to justify the increased payload -- might be some interesting math behind that.
Well played here. The decision you talk about depends on a lot of things (#pearl divers to compute the chance of success, score difference to know the number of hits you need without a miss in order to win the game)

Jack-in-an-Engine vs. Jack+lots of money enablers. This game was amazing (for me, at least) to play and to have it be the one that gets me the big upset is gravy. This game is totally going into the article ;D.

Beautiful way to end it. Congrats!

The only bad thing here is that you kicked out SCSN, something I wanted to do after he kicked me out of the last gokodom. Oh well, I forgive you.
Join the Dominion League!

JOG

• Baron
  • Respect: +52
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 23, 2014, 02:13:43 pm »
+2

jog 3 secret tunnel 0

1. http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140423/log.50a7e19be4b07a80ae66cba9.1398273151067.txt
vineyard, chapel, oracle, bridge, farming village, ironmonger, militia, throne room, mine.

Bridge engine game.  I think trashing is important here and very little treasure is needed. Not sure if it's best to go for vineyards or provinces here.  Vineyards can be worth a lot but can be difficult to get potions into deck effectively.

2. http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140423/log.50a7e19be4b07a80ae66cba9.1398273846372.txt
fishing village, masterpiece, workshop, familiar, procession, council room, journeyman, margrave, vault, hunting grounds

First priority here should be cursing.  Procession is strong here.  It's possible to use one towards the end of cursing to get ahead on curse split.  It's possible to play procession council room and then a margrave so opponent goes back down to 3 cards.  Later on procession hunting grounds can help end the game on piles.

3. http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140423/log.50a7e19be4b07a80ae66cba9.1398275060132.txt
transmute, menagerie, feast, scout, smithy, spice merchant, horn of plenty, knights, market, farmland

Menageries are very good here.  The challenge is to not have any duplicates so you can consistently draw deck.  I had to wait as long as possible to buy multiple provinces because of the risk of not activating menageries.  Knights are good here too with necro and the + action knight it's possible to play 4 knights every turn. 

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 23, 2014, 05:19:51 pm »
+17

I end up playing poorly and not winning any games, so I decided to not let my self-confidence take a hit at any point. Play good Dominion and good things will happen to you.

Excellent attitude, though I kind of wish you'd have adopted it a day or two later ;)

I had no business winning this game after losing the Minion split. First I went for more Monuments and WMs, hoping that you'd go for Provinces. When you followed I was bound to lose that race, so I switched to Provinces, hoping that you'd follow, because if we both start adding green cards your advantage would significantly dilute. Had you just have kept buying WMs and Monuments you'd have won easily.

Also, there were a few times where you could have played Monument but instead chose to draw with Minion, despite either me having a Lighthouse in play or having already attacked before. Most of these times you ended up playing no Monument that turn, the chances of redrawing it were pretty much nonexistent and you'd have enough money already for your purchase had you just played Minion for cash and Monument. I think this happened 2-3 times, which could very well have made a difference in the endgame.

He gets Sages to open and I get Silvers (I still like Silvers better) but he ends up winning the game anyways.

I hate the Silvers. Sage's cycling speeds up your deck building a lot whereas Silver actively slows it down. With Silver maybe you get your first Hoard a bit earlier on average, but I expect with Sages you get to play it both earlier and more often, which is really important with a card like Hoard, and because of Harem you won't run into the problem of it drawing green cards for quite a while. Horse Traders ensures early economy is not an issue. Sage is just really strong whenever there's no trashing, as by skipping a bunch of Coppers and Estates it makes your deck effectively thinner.

A stoned and blindfolded monkey would have played this game better than me. I have nothing else to say.

I don't think the engine is explosive enough, and I hit a couple of $6 turns so I load up on Golds while just making an appearance on the Highway split

Engine is a lot stronger here, and you were actually ahead on building it (so I expected to lose) when you suddenly went for a Gold!? At that point I thought "ok, well, gg then", in my mind the game was a complete lock, guaranteed win, you name it. I mentally zoned out and just kind of auto-piloted it to the end, and well, from such a stupidly complacent state of mind you're just bound to make blunders like getting the last Highway over a Worker's Village (even if it wouldn't have depleted the pile I should probably have prefered a WV at that point) and stupidly buying that Oracle.

The chat seemed to think that a second Sea Hag was good here... getting Taxman

Pretty sure they're just fucking with you, both would have been awful lol. Oracle should allow you to play your one Sea Hag more often, a 2nd is just cursing yourself.

as first player and getting some fortunate draws I'm able to get set up to the point where I'm in a position to comfortably pile out Pearl Divers and actually win the game with enough of a lead

SCSN makes a questionable (or is it? See below) play by buying a fifth Bishop, allowing for potential stall turns.

As you correctly noted, in a perfect mirror you could have piled out the game because you were ahead, so I HAD to take some risk in order to have any chance whatsoever. The Pearl Divers obviously made the play a lot better, but I had to do it regardless if I wanted to have even a fighting chance.

"You're behind, you must win this game, so no time for your usual fancy nonsense, just play solid, no trickery, just something safe and solid, like a half-baked double-Jack..." and lose to the engine ::) This is what happens when you betray your own principles.

This game and the context of this match is probably the best moment I've ever had playing Dominion and I'm really proud of the way this happened.

You played a lot better in games 3 and 6, a bit worse in 1 and 2, and while you picked the inferior strategy in 4, you were a lot sharper than me in the endgame, so overall I can't say anything besides that the best player won. Congratulations, and now take the damn thing down! :D

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2014, 05:21:41 pm »
+3

The only bad thing here is that you kicked out SCSN, something I wanted to do after he kicked me out of the last gokodom. Oh well, I forgive you.

Mind your words, or I'll share with Adam my private notebook on how to beat you ;)

TheMirrorMan

• Golem
  • Respect: +124
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 24, 2014, 04:14:49 am »
+5

I like the fact that Adam apparently buys Wandering Winders instead of Wandering Minstrels :)
Here comes the mirror man. Says he's a people fan.

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4381
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #19 on: April 24, 2014, 07:21:15 am »
+11

I like the fact that Adam apparently buys Wandering Winders instead of Wandering Minstrels :)

I feel so.... used ;)

Kirian

• Board Moderator
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 24, 2014, 08:27:28 am »
+2

Wandering Minstrel is good for engines... WanderingWinder is good at engines... makes sense.

TheMirrorMan

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: April 26, 2014, 08:39:28 am »

Well it could be a new trend, like the following :

There's Kirian on the board, but given the synergy between SheCantSayNos and WanderingWinders, possibly upping it with a few Qvists and Stefs, the engine looks more plausible. And you can always disrupt your opponent's deck with a soulnet  ::)
« Last Edit: April 26, 2014, 08:41:19 am by TheMirrorMan »

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 26, 2014, 09:03:02 am »

Well it could be a new trend, like the following :

There's Kirian on the board, but given the synergy between SheCantSayNos and WanderingWinders, possibly upping it with a few Qvists and Stefs, the engine looks more plausible. And you can always disrupt your opponent's deck with a soulnet  ::)
Sad that the markusins are usually a trap.

soulnet

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 26, 2014, 09:33:13 am »
+1

I don't know whether to feel glad about being referenced in such strong company or sad that I am being perceived as disruptive. Lets go with glad, it is better for a weekend.

TheMirrorMan

• Golem
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 26, 2014, 09:51:56 am »

Well soulnet, you're ranked saboteur for a reason :p
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5  All

Page created in 0.181 seconds with 20 queries.