Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Guess the strategy  (Read 1990 times)

ragingduckd

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
Guess the strategy
« on: April 21, 2014, 07:18:38 pm »

Code: [Select]
Beggar, Alchemist, Bureaucrat, Conspirator, Death Cart, Feast, Trader, Counting House, Journeyman, Bank
Puzzle: Guess the strategy that Monsieur X and I both chose and that (with some luck), emptied Provinces on the first player's T12.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: Guess the strategy
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2014, 07:24:06 pm »

wow. There is no way to gain multiple provinces in a turn, so it has to be really fast. I'm gonna go ahead and guess Counting House/Beggar/Bank, maybe with a journeyman?

At first I though it was Death Cart/Conspirator, but you would need two ruined villages in hand to activate conspirator, so that doesn't work.

EDIT: wow, after further thought, beggar/counting house/bank sounds ridiculously fast, especially with 5/2. That's got to be it. You probably don't want journeyman, counting house will always be better.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 07:26:44 pm by liopoil »

azadin

• Ambassador
  • Respect: +28
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2014, 07:55:19 pm »

I would almost certainly go Beggar/Counting House/Bank here. That just seems insane.

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #3 on: April 21, 2014, 08:07:47 pm »

Beggar, Alchemist, Bureaucrat, Conspirator, Death Cart, Feast, Trader, Counting House, Journeyman, Bank
Puzzle: Guess the strategy that Monsieur X and I both chose and that (with some luck), emptied Provinces on the first player's T12.

Beggar/Counting House. Bank on 7 looks superficially tempting, but I think just another Counting house would probably be better anyway. And of course on 8 you want Province instead.

Edit: I'm less sure about Bank now, actually. If you have a Beggar in hand, Bank is very nearly a guaranteed Province, whereas Counting House could be a whiff, at the top of a shuffle. What if you don't have a Beggar? In those hands, Bank is way better if you already have a Counting House in hand; if you don't, Counting House is usually better.

So, I guess Bank is best unless you're drawing a lot of hands with neither Beggar nor Counting House. In a Copper-bloated deck, maybe that's a fair number of hands? But it's not a huge number. So I take it back, and I think on 7 I'd usually buy Bank.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:13:13 pm by amalloy »

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 21, 2014, 08:16:17 pm »

Beggar/Counting House is cute, and probably correct, but Beggar/Trader/Death Cart doesn't look too bad either. The difference is that you need a bit of luck to have Beggar/Trader collide, and you don't get +$3 this turn anymore, so I think that's slower.

Edit: I guess nothing says you can't do both. Open Beggar/Trader, if they collide choose the Silvers, if they don't then buy a Counting House with the Beggar and (ideally) a Death Cart with Trader in hand. I'm not sure if that's better than a pure Beggar/CH deck or not, I feel it's kind of close.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 08:19:37 pm by Titandrake »
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

amalloy

• Witch
  • Respect: +620
    • View Profile
    • Twitch stream
« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 08:19:29 pm »
+1

Beggar/Counting House. Bank on 7 looks superficially tempting, but I think just another Counting house would probably be better anyway. And of course on 8 you want Province instead.

Edit: I'm less sure about Bank now, actually. If you have a Beggar in hand, Bank is very nearly a guaranteed Province, whereas Counting House could be a whiff, at the top of a shuffle. What if you don't have a Beggar? In those hands, Bank is way better if you already have a Counting House in hand; if you don't, Counting House is usually better.

So, I guess Bank is best unless you're drawing a lot of hands with neither Beggar nor Counting House. In a Copper-bloated deck, maybe that's a fair number of hands? But it's not a huge number. So I take it back, and I think on 7 I'd usually buy Bank.

I just looked at the game log, and there was no occasion in which playing Bank was better than playing Counting House would have been, and a couple instances where playing Counting House got to $8 but having a Bank instead wouldn't have (ie, hand is Province, Counting House, and three Coppers). Obviously it's a small sample size, but it suggests I wasn't too far wrong with my first assessment of Bank.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 09:03:19 pm by amalloy »

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 21, 2014, 08:56:08 pm »

Trader - death cart- ruins->silver might work, with journeyman and bank if needed.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 21, 2014, 08:59:31 pm »

I'm guessing Ruined Market was key?
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.297 seconds with 21 queries.