Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Author Topic: Civilization: Beyond Earth  (Read 13583 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Civilization: Beyond Earth
« on: April 12, 2014, 01:54:20 pm »
+3

http://youtu.be/qtYWqE55s24

Well, I, for one, am excited about this!  Looks like a spiritual successor/remake of Alpha Centauri.  And it's coming out in a few months!  Squee!
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: Civilization: Beyond Earth
« Reply #1 on: April 12, 2014, 02:04:10 pm »

But... But... I already don't have enough time to play Civ!  Dammit, Sid Meier, when are you making a time generator?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 12, 2014, 03:43:43 pm »
+1

Alpha Centauri is one of my all time favorite games. It hasn't aged exceptionally well, but there's enough nostalgia for me to still play now and then. I can't tell you how incredibly excited this makes me.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
  • Respect: +356
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 12, 2014, 03:58:15 pm »

As a Civ fan since I was a child, I am super pumped. Never played SMAC but have heard a lot about it, and this looks really awesome.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 13, 2014, 12:22:03 pm »
+1

Here's an interview with the development team about the game. They discuss a number of general game mechanics and talk about the influences they drew from various sci-fi works (ender's game, dune, etc).

http://www.pcgamer.com/2014/04/12/civilization-beyond-earth-interview-everything-you-need-to-know-about-the-new-factions-aliens-technology-and-more/

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2014, 12:51:21 pm »

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: August 15, 2014, 03:33:14 pm »

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: August 15, 2014, 03:39:58 pm »

Pre-order in the next 20 minutes and get 25% off.

http://www.reddit.com/r/civbeyondearth/comments/2dhzpc/25_off_preorder/

Actually I'm not sure how long that offer will last.
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 03:41:03 pm by jonts26 »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: August 15, 2014, 04:14:01 pm »

http://youtu.be/qtYWqE55s24

Well, I, for one, am excited about this!  Looks like a spiritual successor/remake of Alpha Centauri.  And it's coming out in a few months!  Squee!

They said in some interview that, while AC was an inspiration for the game, this is not a successor/remake of AC. This is more of a civ game than anything else. Judging from the gameplay here, you can see for yourself that it is closer to Civ 5. Actually, some people over in civfanatics.com are complaining that it looks like an elaborate mod/reskin of Civ 5, rather than an AC succesor (disclaimer: I don't have an opinion myself, I never played that game) or Civ 6, both options which they would prefer. Opinions on civfanatics are rather strong one way or another on all topics, so your mileage may vary.

I would really like to play, but man I've got no time for Civ. My laptop has trouble running it, which means that turns take forever even in strategic view. I've got both expansions for Civ 5, and I've only completed one game with each...
« Last Edit: August 15, 2014, 04:15:05 pm by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 23, 2014, 10:57:38 am »
+1

I've got my game pre loaded and ready to go. My weekend is going to disappear.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2014, 11:35:44 am »

I've got my game pre loaded and ready to go. My weekend is going to disappear.

Oh yeah. Same here, I'm currently watching the Firaxis stream and I can't wait to get to play it.
Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2014, 10:29:06 pm »

31 more minutes!

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2014, 11:17:54 pm »

I've been looking forward to this game, but I doubt I have time for it right now. Too much going on with school and stuff. Of course, I'd consider giving it Hearthstone's timespace.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2014, 04:55:12 pm »

I've downloaded the demo...and it is barely playable. Up to 20 seconds before the game brings up the interface of a unit I clicked on, trade routes disappear whenever there is more than one in the same city, leader screens simply don't work...

I don't know if the demo has been slapped quickly and as such is not optimized at all, but if the complete game is half as laggy as this, I won't be buying it, which is a real shame...

I don't think it is my laptop / graphic card that is too old for the game; it had some trouble running civ V, but nothing out of the ordinary. This is an order of magnitude worse than Civ V, and yet the two games are built on the same engine, so there shouldn't be such a big difference. Anyone has encountered similar problems?
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2014, 05:07:10 pm »
+1

I've downloaded the demo...and it is barely playable. Up to 20 seconds before the game brings up the interface of a unit I clicked on, trade routes disappear whenever there is more than one in the same city, leader screens simply don't work...

I don't know if the demo has been slapped quickly and as such is not optimized at all, but if the complete game is half as laggy as this, I won't be buying it, which is a real shame...

I don't think it is my laptop / graphic card that is too old for the game; it had some trouble running civ V, but nothing out of the ordinary. This is an order of magnitude worse than Civ V, and yet the two games are built on the same engine, so there shouldn't be such a big difference. Anyone has encountered similar problems?
Damn, that sucks. I didn't try the demo, but I downloaded the full game and it seems to be running very well for me. I haven't gotten very far, but so far I haven't noticed any real glitches. Maybe there was some point where I was supposed to have 4 food but instead had 0 and I couldn't tell why. That curiosity didn't persist.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2014, 05:07:18 pm »
+1

I've had no such problems, so maybe it's the demo ?

The only known bug so far is that you will get quests you can't complete (asking for buildings in a city that can't build them because they're tied to specific resources) which is annoying but will hopefully be fixed.

I'm enjoying it a lot so far.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 05:08:23 pm by Teproc »

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2014, 05:16:17 pm »

Ok, thanks for the info, guys. I still won't be buying it now just in case, but I'll wait for a sale to get it and see.

Did either of you felt that Civ V was slightly slow/unresponsive, or instead perfectly smooth? If you have some sort of beastly computer, the fact that Civ:BE runs fine on it doesn't really tell me much :P

EDIT: I agree a little bit with the people who are clamouring in favour of the return of strategic view, over there in civfanatics, though.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 05:19:51 pm by pacovf »

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: October 25, 2014, 05:24:11 pm »
+1

Ok, thanks for the info, guys. I still won't be buying it now just in case, but I'll wait for a sale to get it and see.

Did either of you felt that Civ V was slightly slow/unresponsive, or instead perfectly smooth? If you have some sort of beastly computer, the fact that Civ:BE runs fine on it doesn't really tell me much :P

EDIT: I agree a little bit with the people who are clamouring in favour of the return of strategic view, over there in civfanatics, though.

Actually, I only played up to Civ 4. So, concerns that Civ:BE is too similar to Civ 5 don't matter to me.

My basic computer specs are:
- 64-bit i5 dual core @3 GHz each
- 6 GB ram
- HD Radeon 5670

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: October 25, 2014, 05:36:45 pm »
+1

I know I'm not either one of them, but I figured I'd chime in since I have experienced issues with Civ V.

I play Civ V on my computer which is a pretty solid gaming pc that I got for my birthday in February this year. I can play Skyrim with no trouble on this machine (which would definitely seem much more demanding than Civ V). But I experience slow responsiveness and some grey terrain when moving quickly across the map. My opinion is that the game is just poorly optimized. I've also had it completely crash my computer when I try to alt-tab out. It would be nice to find a good solution to these problems, since it's an incredible game but I don't play it much because of these issues.

My computer specs are:

-intel core i7-4700 MQ
-8 gb ram
-nvidia GForce GT 755
-windows 8.1 64 bit os

PPE: Markusin. You remind me that I actually have civ 4 on a disc somewhere--I think I'll install it again since I'm having so many issues with Civ 5.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: October 25, 2014, 09:54:42 pm »
+1

Yeah the lack of strat view is a little outrageous. I don't use it a lot in CiV but it would be very nice here becuase the UI is not super clear.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: October 25, 2014, 10:10:02 pm »

I googled strategic view. Yeah, that looks like a feature I'd like available.

@Ichimaru did you try and enjoy the Beyond the Sword expansion for Civ 4?

I enjoyed the base game a lot, but felt it lacked content and polish. Also air combat was weird and tanks were OP.

The BtS expansion added the content I was hoping for and improved some of the mechanics. However, their "improvement" of the AI to make them stack their units pretty much ruined the fun for me. In the base game, the AI wasn't very strong in combat, but they'd send multi-pronged attacks and pillage your land. It was cool to have to spread your forces. In the expansion, you just had huge stacks of 20+ units battling it out and it was lame.

I was always hopeful of the change in Civ 5 to remove unit stacking.

Edit: oh yeah, the extra scenarios for Civ 4 are loads of fun. I played through the European scenario and it rocked.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:14:14 pm by markusin »

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: October 25, 2014, 10:26:34 pm »

I googled strategic view. Yeah, that looks like a feature I'd like available.

@Ichimaru did you try and enjoy the Beyond the Sword expansion for Civ 4?

I enjoyed the base game a lot, but felt it lacked content and polish. Also air combat was weird and tanks were OP.

The BtS expansion added the content I was hoping for and improved some of the mechanics. However, their "improvement" of the AI to make them stack their units pretty much ruined the fun for me. In the base game, the AI wasn't very strong in combat, but they'd send multi-pronged attacks and pillage your land. It was cool to have to spread your forces. In the expansion, you just had huge stacks of 20+ units battling it out and it was lame.

I was always hopeful of the change in Civ 5 to remove unit stacking.
I got the gold edition I think and played a lot of Warlords. I have BtS but I never really got the chance to play with it. I'm actually reinstalling the game + expansions as I'm writing this. Civ 4 just made more sense to me on the whole-- and I think it has a considerably better UI. Civ 5 just made so many changes over the previous one, from the amount I've played it, I still haven't caught on. For example, the fact that it has no unit stacking (aside from 1 economic + 1 military) almost fundamentally changes the gameplay in a way I personally don't really care for. The introduction of city-states, create your own religion, and other stuff was nice--but I'm more excited to replay Civ 4 at this point.

Unit stacking probably wasn't a very realistic feature though, and it definitely is less exciting to have huge single stacks attacking each other. The new system is nice in that it kind of forces you to see your whole army and one thing I did like was that they let some units have an actual ranged attack that could cross multiple hexes--that was pretty cool. I would probably give Civ 5 another spin, but I just had too many technical problems with it.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: October 25, 2014, 10:42:22 pm »
+1

Never tried Warlords. What I can say about BtS is that it's sufficiently challenging and deep.

I've even played Civ 2, which I believe was handed down to us by my older cousins. There you had unit stacking, but if the stack was attacked and the top unit was defeated, the ENTIRE stack got wiped out. Pretty comical.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 10:43:39 pm by markusin »

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: October 25, 2014, 10:53:05 pm »
+1

So I played through a game as Franco-Iberia going Purity with a strong cultural slant. I played on Gemini (4th of 6 difficulty). Overall I really like it. And I don't think it is all that similar to civ5. Or at least, it's about as different from civ5 as civ5 is from civ4. So if you like Civ games in general, I would give this a recommendation.

BE gives an incredible amount of freedom to develop your civ. I don't know if all of the options are balanced, or if one or two really dominant strategies will emerge, but for right now, everything seems wide open. The tech web is incredibly daunting at first. And there are so many paths you can take. You can focus on just about any aspect of your civ through tech. This s further augmented by the quest system. You can take quests to boost one affinity. Most buildings have related quests which let you boost them in one of two ways. The affinities strongly influence the types of units and buildings you can make. And you aren't locked into one affinity. I had enough points in supremacy end game to make use of some of the unique supremacy stuff as well.

The aliens are a nice feature. I ran into some trouble just trying to wipe them out as they turned rather aggressive. I was a little disappointed that they became more or less irrelevant as the game went on.

The biggest problem seems to be the interface. While I do really like the artwork, there is often so little contrast that it makes things hard to see. Also a lot of the screen can get cluttered further exacerbating the problem. In particular, I remember having some trouble easily identifying my borders as the border color sort of blends into the background. And theres a lot of small quality of life improvements they need to make there.

The other problem I ran into is trade route management. I had over 20 trade routes, and it gets to be incredibly tedious to find their old routes again every 20 turns. There's no sort feature either which means I have to manually scroll through to find where it was going last or to find the highest gold or whatever.

One final problem, the AI seemed to be way way too passive. I'll try playing on a higher difficulty to see if that changes, but I don't think half the civs even bothered contacting me more than once or twice all game. And the same bad AI problems seem to persist from Civ5. I went to war once and the AI was just terrible at it. And then she wouldn't negotiate peace even though I was taking down city after city.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: October 25, 2014, 11:07:46 pm »

Damn, that sucks. I didn't try the demo, but I downloaded the full game and it seems to be running very well for me. I haven't gotten very far, but so far I haven't noticed any real glitches. Maybe there was some point where I was supposed to have 4 food but instead had 0 and I couldn't tell why. That curiosity didn't persist.

Oh I figured out the food thing. I was building a Colonist at the time, and all surplus food is used up to build the Colonist.

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: October 26, 2014, 12:55:09 am »
+2

I just finished my first game as well! Played as the Asians, only on the Mercury difficulty (second to easiest) but I was able to get a Contact victory on my first try, with a strong emphasis on research and economy. About half and half Purity and Supremacy with all my virtues in Knowledge. I pretty much just rushed to get the techs I needed to decode the beacon and launch the satellite, and the Asian wonder building bonus helped a bit. I also invested in some espionage, which was pretty helpful actually...for example, I stole a useful genetics tech to boost my health right as it was dipping to critical levels.

Only went to war twice...early on the Slavs decided they didn't like sharing a border, and tried to march in. I didn't have much military at that point, but I had enough cash stockpiled to immediately purchase an army. I was able to repel them easily and they gave up once I started to retaliate. Soon after that I figured out that I should be trading, and then everybody loved me for a while as our economies grew interdependent. At the very end of the game, after I had constructed the beacon, the Slavs and the Franco-Iberians declared war...possibly because I was approaching a victory (I assume the AI can figure that out) and also because our idealogies had seriously diverged. (The Harmonious Slavs got mad at me for blowing away miasma! I thought that was pretty clever for the AI.) Well, that war went much more poorly, considering it was on two fronts, and I had invested basically zero effort in my military, so everyone else had like laser hovertanks and I'm using sticks and rocks. But my city defense was pretty good, the beacon was in a defensible spot, and I was able to hang on and still keep my economy rolling enough to win. The difficulty wasn't that bad but I'll reserve judgment until I try the harder settings. I'd definitely like to experiment with a more warmongering approach.

Overall I enjoyed it! I played all afternoon, and I'll probably play some more soon, so it certainly has the Civ "one more turn..." appeal in full force. I did notice it is still a bit rough around the edges, there were certainly some glitches and weird behavior, but nothing game breaking. I agree that managing the trade routes is a huge pain in the ass, especially considering how lucrative it is; there should definitely be a trade menu or something. Diplomacy and the AI in general seemed OK...I never got anyone to enter a pact of cooperation with me for some reason, but other than that they behaved reasonably. I was able to trade for the petroleum I needed at a reasonable price.

Personally I believe this game "feels" very similar to Civ V mechanically. All the essential Civ V elements are there, most saliently the hex grid, city defense, and unit Pauli exclusion principle. I'm not complaining about that, mind you, I thought the Civ V mechanics were excellent and I'm glad to see them replicated in space. I definitely think it falls more on the side of Civ V than Alpha Centauri in the spectrum (except with the setting). I agree that I love the degree of customization, that feels very Alpha Centauri (although I do miss the unit design! Helicopter colony pods with a cloaking device!). The tech web is SWEET, although I'm not sure it's extensive enough for the timeframe...Alpha Centauri's tech got into some really crazy stuff like black hole tech and time travel. I like the Purity/Supremacy/Harmony system. The virtue system is fine, it feels just like the thing from Civ V. I appreciate that you can customize the loadout of your drop pod at the beginning of the game. The aliens were pretty cool, but largely irrelevant. The Jarvis-type tutorial bot was helpful at first, but I don't need to hear that my spy is idle for the 5000th time. The music was superb!

Where the game disappointed me was in the flavor. Alpha Centauri is one of my favorite games of all time. It really changed the way I think about the future of humanity; I think it stands as a legitimate work of science fiction as well as being a fun and excellent game. Each of the 7 leaders had serious personality, which was shown through the awesome quotations and videos that really painted a picture of the unforgiving world which they inhabited. The Civ: BE leaders had little to no personality at all. I dealt with the Russian guy the most in this playthrough because we were neighbors and enemies. His most defining personality trait was that he spoke Russian...sort of like Russia from Civ V. The Australian guy is like "What's mine is yours...for a price." Ha ha ha very funny Mr. Australian guy. Except he says this as he's begging me for resources, so it's actually incongruous and weird. The only one I remember at all having any sort of personality was the CEO, but she was totally cheesy and obnoxious. Adam Smith quotes?? Who the hell quotes Adam Smith in 2800? I'll put it on my debit sheet?? Why are you using ridiculous 20th century anachronisms. It's silly.

Meanwhile in Alpha Centauri, the corporate archetype, CEO Nwabudike Morgan, is a complete badass. Sure he's African, with an awesome African accent, but that's not his principal trait. He's suave, greedy, and indulgent, but the way he talks you can believe that it's a good thing, that mankind's dream and destiny is unbounded wealth! And then Yang convinces you that your suffering is meaningless, or that your duty as a citizen is to eat the recycled corpses of your dead comrades. You think, man Miriam raises a good point, what OF the immortal soul when a ship passes through Bulk matter transmitter? Maybe I'm just being nostalgic here, I was relatively young when I played the game and that was the first time I was exposed to a lot of those science fiction themes. But they really resonated with me.

Maybe they did develop the Civ: BE characters in the quotes. But then why did they only use that one voice actress? Was it a budget thing? It was OK when it was Leonard Nimoy, but it all sounds boring and the same to me, and that's most of the reason I can't sympathize with the leaders. And the quotes didn't seem really interesting by the looks of it, mostly pithy and humorous. "Robots don't need breaks, they make great workers -- you should learn a lesson from them hurr hurr hurr." That's the problem--the whole thing has got that Civ V cartoony sheen on it. I liked the dark grittiness of Alpha Centauri. I liked my drone riots and consequent nerve stapling. I liked how when you researched Mind/Machine Interface the quotation says something about how he feels his thoughts cross over to the machine, but then the unsettling thing is that the machine's thoughts, cold and alien, cross BACK into his mind, and that's pretty freaky. "We must dissent" still gives me chills. And MAN, each one of the Secret Projects ("Wonders") had a short video that went with it. Those videos were SO AWESOME. That was the main incentive to build the Secret Projects, to watch these cool videos. Most of the Wonders in Civ: BE had some generic technobabble name that I don't care about because I don't really know what it is. I know videos haven't been a thing for a while in Civ games. But why not??? That was like the best part!!! I'm serious, watch these videos:

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBBA4EA8EABF39223

Anyway, enough yammering, It's seriously a fun game. 4/5 stars, great fun and solid mechanics but loses points for not living up to my unreasonable expectations.   
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 03:02:22 pm by WalrusMcFishSr »
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: October 26, 2014, 05:27:16 am »
+1

Biggest problem with C:BE... Miasma is invisible. Especially on fungal maps.

EDIT: I've got AC sitting around somewhere, maybe I should try it out sometime.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: October 26, 2014, 06:24:42 am »
+2

Ichi, no stacking does change the game tremendously... for the better imo because it makes combat actually intereesting rather than mindless stacks crashing into each other. The AI sucks at 1UPT combat though, which is by far the biggest problem with that system.

As for BE's flavour, it existsbut it's hidden deep in the civilopedia :(

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: October 26, 2014, 12:07:10 pm »

Ichi, no stacking does change the game tremendously... for the better imo because it makes combat actually intereesting rather than mindless stacks crashing into each other. The AI sucks at 1UPT combat though, which is by far the biggest problem with that system.

As for BE's flavour, it existsbut it's hidden deep in the civilopedia :(
Yeah I tried to present a balanced viewpoint on unit stacking, but I'm probably still biased towards the old system. Civ 4 made me very used to having that capability--and although it had it's faults, I don't think the system was irredeemable. They could have gone with say limited stacks of say 3-5 units--though there's probably a good reason why they didn't that I can't see right now cause I just woke up.

Kind of ironic this thread is about Civ: BE and I'm still having fun coming back to Civ 4. It's probably just a testament to the incredible game design of the entire series.

Edit: Spelling

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: October 26, 2014, 01:09:35 pm »
+1

CivBE seems to be in a similar place to Civ5 when that was first released. Civ4 had two expansions which really made it one of the best games in the series. Not to say Civ4 vanilla was bad, but it felt much more like the best game in the series by the end of its lifecycle. Civ5 vanilla in comparison, while it introduced some really interesting mechanics like hexes and 1UPT, had a number of bugs and it wasn't completely polished. It felt incomplete. However, now Civ5 after two expansions is a really great game, on par, maybe even exceeding Civ4, imo (I really like 1UPT, just wish the AI could be better with it). Now CivBE comes out and, it feels incomplete. There are a number of small bugs and the interface needs work and it sort of just feels like they rushed it out the door. Also there are some early reports of balancing issues, which I'm sure will be addressed at some point.

So basically, I'm having fun with BE. It's a good game. And maybe in an expansion or two it might even be a great game.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: October 26, 2014, 05:16:01 pm »

I doubt it will have expansions though. The obvious bugs and balance issues (trade routes) will probably be patched and that's it.

Colonization didn't get expansions for example.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: October 26, 2014, 05:25:19 pm »
+1

intereesting
Trying to circumvent my trademark I see. . .

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: October 26, 2014, 05:53:57 pm »

I doubt it will have expansions though. The obvious bugs and balance issues (trade routes) will probably be patched and that's it.

Colonization didn't get expansions for example.
Yeah a lot of the issues seem to be based on stuff that can be addressed by patches.

I'm annoyed at the trade route UI. I can't select trade convoys it seems, and there's no battle sequence when a convoy gets destroyed by an alien. There's just some exclamation mark on the far right on the turn it happens.

Edit: Oh right, trade convoys are selectable, but you don't get much info out of them.
« Last Edit: October 26, 2014, 06:37:48 pm by markusin »

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: October 30, 2014, 06:58:13 pm »
+2

I finished my first Civilization: Beyond Earth game to completion. Mercury difficulty on a small world with a few islands. 6 players total.

I picked Pan-Asia for their Wonder production and worker bonuses. I was aiming for the Harmony victory, because hey that's cool right? I was on a Continent with 2 other players, while the other 3 players were doing their own thing. I conquered one of my neighbours early, and was pretty surprised at how low my health got. It took a long time to get back into positive health, at which point I conquered my other neighbour. They were threatening! I had to!

The game feels a lot like a Civ game in how powerful the positive feedback of civilization size works out. One thign that annoyed my was the learning curve increase due to not knowing what yield bonuses you can choose from for building bonus quests until you build the building. It doesn't matter for early game stuff you'll be building anyway, but it makes you unsure of how good or useful the buildings unlocked by late game techs actually are to your current position.

Overall, it's a fun game. It looks like I need to try a higher difficulty though.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: October 30, 2014, 07:23:14 pm »

I've found the difficulty to be fairly disappointing. In Civ5 I could beat Deity usually, but I had to really work for it and squeeze every last drop of efficiency from my game. In BE, even on Apollo I can win pretty easy and I know I'm not playing optimal strategies as I'm still sort of figuring everything out and trying new things.

Oh and about health, being negative is really not a big deal at all. You could easily play pretty much ignoring health altogether and just pumping out new cities constantly and still win. Though what I've found is its best to expand fast early game, dip into negative health for a while and then work towards some of the really strong health virtues and techs and eventually get 20+ health.

Jdaki

• Bishop
  • Respect: +47
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: October 30, 2014, 08:11:15 pm »

I have to state my disappointment at the end of my second game, Vostok difficulty (one up from normal?), PAC, went for Harmony victory. I thought, I'll be prepared, so built up my army all around the Mind Flower, boosted miasma everywhere, built tracks everywhere, ready for the massive event that would happen when it was completed.......
Oh nothing happened- just count down the turns till it finished. AI didn't even try and fight me- they did, kind of, in the previous difficulty setting for the Purity victory. Though at least one of the AI did almost have a victory- he finished the gate and had settled a few of the earth survivors. I stomped my Xeno titan around to have a look, given there was nothing to fight.
Real shame- can't be hard to program a script to spawn a bunch of nests everywhere- where was the geophysical activity?

Still pretty enjoyable as normal, but does need some work out of the box.

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: October 30, 2014, 09:35:01 pm »

I've found the difficulty to be fairly disappointing. In Civ5 I could beat Deity usually, but I had to really work for it and squeeze every last drop of efficiency from my game. In BE, even on Apollo I can win pretty easy and I know I'm not playing optimal strategies as I'm still sort of figuring everything out and trying new things.

Oh and about health, being negative is really not a big deal at all. You could easily play pretty much ignoring health altogether and just pumping out new cities constantly and still win. Though what I've found is its best to expand fast early game, dip into negative health for a while and then work towards some of the really strong health virtues and techs and eventually get 20+ health.
Oh yeah, totally agree about the health. In my case, expansion meant conquering my Brazilian neighbour. My health was -10 to -15 for like a hundred turns before I got huge health tech stuff. Unlike happiness in the older Civ games, it barely seemed to matter. But -10% science and culture builds up over a long time.

I had started a new game on my (considerably slower computer) at my dad's house where I went crazy with culture production. Investing heavily in virtues is just tons of fun.

I suspect the AI won't significantly improve with difficulty level. There were a lot of combat mistakes from the AI that made me facepalm n Mercury difficulty. Unless the AI can effectively wage war, the game can't be made challenging in a fair way. Too bad, because the framework that's been set up has a lot of potential for interesting games with multiple viable strategies.

Edit: I noticed that mind stems didn't speed up the victory countdown for the mind flower after the flower had been build. I looked online, and it appears the stems only affect the countdown if built BEFORE the mind flower finishes. There was no indication of this, and the advice message after I built the mind flower makes it seem like I have the build the stems afterwards. It was a good thing I built up a bunch before the countdown anyway. Only had a 15 turn wait. As usual for a civ game, conquering a continent half the size of the world keeps you safe from the AI.
« Last Edit: October 30, 2014, 09:44:05 pm by markusin »

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: October 31, 2014, 12:08:13 am »
+2

There's a mod you might want to check out called beyond balance. Among other things, it has a more competent AI. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe if I play a game this weekend I will. The AI was done by the same guy that did one of the very good civ5 AI mods, so I suspect it will be a significant improvement.

http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=331383062&searchtext=

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: October 31, 2014, 07:33:17 am »

There's a mod you might want to check out called beyond balance. Among other things, it has a more competent AI. I haven't tried it yet, but maybe if I play a game this weekend I will. The AI was done by the same guy that did one of the very good civ5 AI mods, so I suspect it will be a significant improvement.

Wow, that was fast. Was this being worked on before the official game release or something? I'll be trying it out as well when I get the chance.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: October 31, 2014, 08:37:53 am »

Wow, that was fast. Was this being worked on before the official game release or something? I'll be trying it out as well when I get the chance.

I think a lot of the AI code was carried over from Civ5 since it's the same engine.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 04, 2014, 11:38:57 am »
+2

I just realized this thread is in the other board games subforum. What is it doing here?

markusin

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: November 05, 2014, 08:17:54 am »

I just realized this thread is in the other board games subforum. What is it doing here?
I know. It was tripping me up when I was looking for the thread. Maybe the definition of "board game" has gotten lax ever since Hearthstone made it on here.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #42 on: November 05, 2014, 09:03:17 am »
+1

I know. It was tripping me up when I was looking for the thread. Maybe the definition of "board game" has gotten lax ever since Hearthstone made it on here.

I blame Cookie Clicker.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #43 on: November 05, 2014, 09:57:07 am »
+3

Maybe I should just rename this forum to Other Games (Board and Video)?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: November 05, 2014, 01:14:35 pm »

But Heartstone and Civilization *play* like card/board games, respectively.  It's not like we're discussing WoW or anything like that.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: November 05, 2014, 01:26:30 pm »

I think this thread, as well as the Hearthstone subforum, shouldn't be here.

EDIT: Most definitely, the Cookie Clicker thread shouldn't be here.
« Last Edit: November 05, 2014, 01:28:24 pm by Watno »

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: November 05, 2014, 05:37:59 pm »

But Heartstone and Civilization *play* like card/board games, respectively.  It's not like we're discussing WoW or anything like that.
I don't think Civilization plays much like a board game. To me, the key defining what feels like a card/board game is that I feel I can reasonably predict the outcome of the rules myself without the aid of a computer. In Civilization, the game is set up in a way that kinda hides the detailed rules unless you really go digging for them, and even then it's hard to integrate them into complete predictability, and given the amount of formulas, tedious too if you weren't using a calculator at minimum.

I agree with you on Hearthstone though. There, although the lack of a rulebook makes working through edge cases difficult, the vast majority of rules are easily discoverable and easy to think through in your head.

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: November 05, 2014, 06:39:21 pm »
+1

What's hidden about Civilization ? Anything you're looking for you cna find in the Civilopedia pretty much, or in the city screen.

The main factor in those games feeling like boardgame is that they're turn based. I would say XCom also somewhat feels like a boardgame to me, which is why I enjoy both those games, probably.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2983
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: November 05, 2014, 06:42:47 pm »
+1

So if being turn-based is what differentiates board-games from video games, is Galaxy Trucker a video game?

Teproc

• Jester
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: November 05, 2014, 06:50:09 pm »

So if being turn-based is what differentiates board-games from video games, is Galaxy Trucker a video game?

I wasn't saying a board game needs to be turn based, I was saying the reason games like Hearthstone and Civ feel like board games is that they're turn based.

And in the case of Hearthstone, also because it's largely based on a board game. Well, a card game, but whatever.
Pages: 1 2 [All]

Page created in 3.027 seconds with 20 queries.