Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: another soothsayer thought experiment  (Read 2537 times)

ehunt

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: ehunt
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
another soothsayer thought experiment
« on: May 02, 2014, 01:12:38 pm »

This thought experiment has the opposite conclusion as the other one.

Claim: either we should be buying Horse Traders for the reaction much more often than I thought, or Soothsayer is better than I thought.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
Re: another soothsayer thought experiment
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2014, 01:17:11 pm »
+3

The reaction only works if you have horse traders in hand when an attack is played and one of the cards in your new bigger hand is horse traders, so unless you want horse traders for its primary effect, that isn't very good. Soothsayer gives you the card every time it attacks.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2014, 02:08:45 pm »

The reaction only works if you have horse traders in hand when an attack is played and one of the cards in your new bigger hand is horse traders, so unless you want horse traders for its primary effect, that isn't very good. Soothsayer gives you the card every time it attacks.
Horse Trader's primary effect is pretty good in a hand of 6 cards. Anyways, it's terminal so you don't want too many of them.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

HiveMindEmulator

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2118
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2014, 02:14:04 pm »
+2

The problem is that you have to buy the Horse Traders instead of something else. With opponent's Soothsayer, you can buy other useful cards and still get the draw.

GeoLib

• Jester
  • Respect: +1265
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 02:28:56 pm »

Horse Trader's primary effect is pretty good in a hand of 6 cards. Anyways, it's terminal so you don't want too many of them.

I agree that HT's primary effect is pretty good, but then you aren't buying it just for the reaction as the OP suggested.
"All advice is awful"
 —Count Grishnakh

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: May 02, 2014, 02:43:24 pm »

Revealing HT to an opposing Soothsayer leaves you with a 7 card hand. That's pretty good for HT if you can afford the extra terminal. On alt-vp card boards, Horse Traders is often a terminal of choice.

Now, why you'd get Horse Traders purely for the reaction is beyond me, as all it effectively does is replace itself as a reaction for non discard-to-3 attacks, and makes the discard-to-3 attacks give you a +1 card at the end. Little better than Moat. It's equivalent to getting Great Hall as a defense to non-discard attacks unless you want a big handsize regardless of card quality.

I just realized that Soothsayer must be really tough to ignore in 3-4 player games. Having a 7-8 card hand on turn 6 doesn't seem like it offsets the extra curses and the lack of Gold relative to your opponents in a 3-4 player game.

cayvie

• Explorer
  • old
  • Respect: +236
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 03, 2014, 01:20:23 pm »
+3

Isn't the cleanest comparison not to Horse Traders, but to Laboratory?
18:28 MEASURE YOUR LIFE IN LOVE: you shouldve done the decent thing and resign rather than go on being that lucky all the time

she/her
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.