Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: The disappearance of Big Money  (Read 12739 times)

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
Re: The disappearance of Big Money
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 06:52:32 pm »

I've been trying to work out a 'trick' board that looks like it should have something interesting to play but secretly Big Money-X is the dominant strategy

Try anything with university.

Jack Rudd

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jack Rudd
  • Respect: +1384
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 07:05:12 pm »

I once had a game where I three-piled on move 13 with seven Provinces in my deck, and University was key to my whole strategy.

(The three piles were City, Minion and Peddler; my opening buys were Chapel and Potion.)
Centuries later, archaeologists discover the remains of your ancient civilization.

Evidence of thriving towns, Pottery, roads, and a centralized government amaze the startled scientists.

Finally, they come upon a stone tablet, which contains but one mysterious phrase!

'ISOTROPIC WILL RETURN!'

ftl

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: ftl
  • Respect: +1345
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2014, 12:54:19 am »

Something with university and embassy perhaps?

University+Embassy doesn't *actually* increase your handsize. But it does let you sift, so if there's anything worth sifting for then BM+Embassy might still lose.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2014, 10:21:49 am »

I've been trying to work out a 'trick' board that looks like it should have something interesting to play but secretly Big Money-X is the dominant strategy

University of overvalued and over bought, but that doesn't mean its not good for engines.

flies

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: flies
  • Statistical mechanics of hard rods on a 1D lattice
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
    • ask the atheists
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2014, 02:57:52 pm »

University of overvalued and over bought, but that doesn't mean its not good for engines.
but if i were looking for such a trick board, this might be one way to go.  like uni + cartographer + mystic with no + buy vs hoard/vault or something? 
Gotta be efficient when most of your hand coordination is spent trying to apply mascara to your beard.
flies Dominionates on youtube

petrie911

• Young Witch
  • Respect: +109
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 28, 2014, 03:26:30 pm »

I've been trying to work out a 'trick' board that looks like it should have something interesting to play but secretly Big Money-X is the dominant strategy (where BM-X is defined as buying only standard Treasures, standard VP cards and any number of one other Kingdom card).

How about

Scrying Pool
Bridge
Goons
Coppersmith
Chapel
Lookout
Masquerade
Scheme
Library
Outpost
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 03:28:06 pm by petrie911 »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 28, 2014, 05:29:27 pm »

I've been trying to work out a 'trick' board that looks like it should have something interesting to play but secretly Big Money-X is the dominant strategy (where BM-X is defined as buying only standard Treasures, standard VP cards and any number of one other Kingdom card).

How about

Scrying Pool
Bridge
Goons
Coppersmith
Chapel
Lookout
Masquerade
Scheme
Library
Outpost

With no +actions and no +coin non-terminals for Scrying Pool, I don't think anybody would be tricked by this.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 28, 2014, 05:41:40 pm »
+3

How about

Scrying Pool
Bridge
Goons
Coppersmith
Chapel
Lookout
Masquerade
Scheme
Library
Outpost

With no +actions and no +coin non-terminals for Scrying Pool, I don't think anybody would be tricked by this.

What? This is such a clear engine board that I believe he's kidding.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 28, 2014, 05:43:48 pm »

How about

Scrying Pool
Bridge
Goons
Coppersmith
Chapel
Lookout
Masquerade
Scheme
Library
Outpost

How are you going to build an engine using Pool when the only other non terminals are Scheme and Lookout?
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 28, 2014, 05:45:56 pm »

Scheme makes it so much better still.

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 28, 2014, 05:51:47 pm »
+2

How about

Scrying Pool
Bridge
Goons
Coppersmith
Chapel
Lookout
Masquerade
Scheme
Library
Outpost

How are you going to build an engine using Pool when the only other non terminals are Scheme and Lookout?

How are you going to fight the engine when you have a thee-card hand every single turn after like Turn 6, and your opponent is gaining at least 2VP every turn from that point on?
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 28, 2014, 05:52:03 pm »

So the goal is to trash down and use Scrying Pool+Scheme to draw lots and play Goons often?

But in this case you want to trash down until you have just good stuff to pull off Scrying Pool shenanigans.  Wouldn't Masquerade hurt that plan?

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 28, 2014, 05:53:30 pm »

So the goal is to trash down and use Scrying Pool+Scheme to draw lots and play Goons often?

But in this case you want to trash down until you have just good stuff to pull off Scrying Pool shenanigans.  Wouldn't Masquerade hurt that plan?

It would hurt it, but I don't think it would disrupt it. The other player, who is playing Masquerade, is going to start to struggle on the passing, too. Since he has a three-card hand every turn.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 28, 2014, 05:56:59 pm »

It would hurt it, but I don't think it would disrupt it. The other player, who is playing Masquerade, is going to start to struggle on the passing, too. Since he has a three-card hand every turn.

Also for consideration: what if it isn't a Colony board?

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 28, 2014, 05:57:23 pm »

There's really no need to worry about passing good stuff here, just give him a Scheme and buy it back if you need to. Funnily enough the Schemes even hurt the Masq deck because you don't want them in your 3-card hand and you don't want to draw them dead either.

The only difference is that you buy some Golds and Provinces instead of Platina and Colonies.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 05:59:59 pm by SheCantSayNo »

SCSN

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 28, 2014, 06:05:27 pm »

I do remember a board from a while back that might qualify:

Code: [Select]
Beggar, Cellar, Scrying Pool, Develop, Masquerade, Philosopher's Stone, Feast, Ironmonger, Contraband, Explorer
With Colonies.

Obviously I still went for the engine, but I think I got lucky in discarding Platina disproportionally often and still almost lost.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2014, 06:06:44 pm by SheCantSayNo »

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 28, 2014, 06:11:03 pm »

The only difference is that you buy some Golds and Provinces instead of Platina and Colonies.

Well, without Colony you don't have quite as much time to buy a bunch of Scrying Pools and a bunch of Schemes and Goons/Gold. 

But I will take this as a reminder not to underestimate Scrying Pool, even with no other non-terminals. :P

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 29, 2014, 11:20:59 am »
+1

How about

Scrying Pool
Bridge
Goons
Coppersmith
Chapel
Lookout
Masquerade
Scheme
Library
Outpost

How are you going to fight the engine when you have a thee-card hand every single turn after like Turn 6, and your opponent is gaining at least 2VP every turn from that point on?

Does nobody see Library on this board? You can beat the engine with Masquerade into Library BM. Although it won't be an auto-win or anything, probably it's still close. Scheme helps the engine a whole lot.

Edit: Jeez, I just saw Outpost is on the board too. Just a terrible idea if you want to make the engine a trap. In the mid/late game they can take two full deck-drawing turns, and just play Goons on the second one. Engine is ahead with that.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 11:23:30 am by Mic Qsenoch »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 0.106 seconds with 21 queries.