Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Was this bad shuffle luck, or was this bad shuffle luck?  (Read 1713 times)

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
Was this bad shuffle luck, or was this bad shuffle luck?
« on: March 29, 2014, 12:38:54 am »

Code: [Select]
Stonemason, Masterpiece, Steward, Trade Route, Wishing Well, Philosopher's Stone, Remake, Council Room, Margrave, Hunting Grounds
(with colonies)

Looks like an awesome engine board, but no, no villages. So I decide to go for Margrave-BM. And I have what is possibly the worst shuffle luck ever. If my opponent had any semblance of strategy (he opened stonemason with 2 for crying out loud) he would have beat me. I even (jokingly) suggested he buy a masterpiece, and he did--for $4! I bought a Remake (hoping to trash my estates into slivers) but only got to play it twice on account of terminal collision. My Margrave-BM deck took 28 (28!) turns to get 5 colonies.

Anyway, was there something I did wrong? Was there an engine hidden in here somewhere? Or did I just have literally the worst BM shuffle luck ever?

http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140328/log.50e20cf4e4b0a47150882831.1396067625463.txt
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 11:29:13 am by mail-mi »
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: Was this bad shuffle luck, or was this bad shuffle luck?
« Reply #1 on: March 29, 2014, 12:56:50 am »

Is there a way to see the log? You didn't post the log.

Anyway, since it's a Colony game, I'd still stay it's best to do some trashing first before you move into Margrave BM. Remake seems to fit the bill here, replacing your bad cards with economy.

I don't know whether you did that, though.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 29, 2014, 12:59:44 am »

(1)  Is this the log?

http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140328/log.50e20cf4e4b0a47150882831.1396067625463.txt

(2)  Why didn't you get a Remake on T1?  Even for BM, clearing those first Estates and turning them into Silver can be huge.

(3)  Yeah, you got some awful luck not drawing $5 until T5 and not drawing that purchase until T9.  Other than that, 25 turns to 4 Colonies isn't bad vs. attacks.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 29, 2014, 05:57:57 am »

(2)  Why didn't you get a Remake on T1?  Even for BM, clearing those first Estates and turning them into Silver can be huge.

I agree because it's a Colony game, but I've always thought Remake is awful (because it's too slow) for BM in Province games. Am I wrong?

As for the actual game: definitely get the Remake on T1.

At the end of T17 you draw:

mail-mi: turn 17
mail-mi   draws Copper, Remake, Silver, Colony, Gold

Your T18:

mail-mi: turn 18
mail-mi   plays Remake
mail-mi   trashes Silver
mail-mi   gains Potion
mail-mi   trashes Copper
mail-mi   draws Copper, Copper, Gold, Silver, Gold

You really don't want the Potion here. Just don't play the Remake and buy a Gold.

On T20 and T21 you buy a 4th and a 5th Platinum with 3 Colonies gone already. These should just be Provinces, especially the T21 one because your Margrave play triggered a reshuffle.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 29, 2014, 09:56:30 am »

I agree because it's a Colony game, but I've always thought Remake is awful (because it's too slow) for BM in Province games. Am I wrong?

Coppers are not horrible for BM in a Province game and they are REALLY horrible for BM on a Colony game, so removing them is worth the time only in Colony games.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 29, 2014, 11:28:38 am »

(1)  Is this the log?

(3)  Yeah, you got some awful luck not drawing $5 until T5 and not drawing that purchase until T9.  Other than that, 25 turns to 4 Colonies isn't bad vs. attacks.
Yeah thats the log. Sorry, I'll edit it in.
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 29, 2014, 12:02:03 pm »

So, foggen_jazz's isotropish rating is -59.  I think that would explain it.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.477 seconds with 21 queries.