Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: Alchemy lvl 15 Help  (Read 12291 times)

clantosa

• Steward
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Re: Alchemy lvl 15 Help
« Reply #25 on: March 27, 2014, 04:48:35 pm »

Is there any kind of simulator that you can hand select your kingdom and then have the simulator create the best possible strategy for that kingdom?

It is pretty much impossible to know the best strategy for any kingdom.  And, there are some tactics that would need to change.

well if you have the simulator run for days as it gathers 10 000 games worth of data I'm sure it will be able to spit out a strategy that wins "x" number of times and that is better than all others that were tested. I'm no software engineer so I wouldn't be able to conjure such machine, but i dont think itll be very difficult to create either

The purpose of such machine would be to have it spit out a formula of cards you should buy for any given set so that you will win against all others most of the time.

For example in BM market/vill/smithy we know the best formula is something around 5 market, 5 smithy, and 6 villages

So a machine (simulator) that would be able to input any kingdom and generate such a formula would be great

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 27, 2014, 04:50:40 pm »
+1

Is there any kind of simulator that you can hand select your kingdom and then have the simulator create the best possible strategy for that kingdom?

It is pretty much impossible to know the best strategy for any kingdom.  And, there are some tactics that would need to change.

well if you have the simulator run for days as it gathers 10 000 games worth of data I'm sure it will be able to spit out a strategy that wins "x" number of times and that is better than all others that were tested. I'm no software engineer so I wouldn't be able to conjure such machine, but i dont think itll be very difficult to create either

The purpose of such machine would be to have it spit out a formula of cards you should buy for any given set so that you will win against all others most of the time.

For example in BM market/vill/smithy we know the best formula is something around 5 market, 5 smithy, and 6 villages

So a machine (simulator) that would be able to input any kingdom and generate such a formula would be great

I don't think you understand how Dominion works. Winning is as much about adapting to your opponent as it is about choosing a strategy. By definition, simulations cannot help you with that.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 27, 2014, 04:51:35 pm »

It depends on your opponent as well.  There are just way too many variables.  People have things like this and it does a good job with money strategies, but I heard someone left it on for days on an engine board and didn't realize the engine.  I'm actually making something that will be kind of similar, but I don't know if it will ever get good at the game.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

clantosa

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 27, 2014, 05:00:30 pm »

It depends on your opponent as well.  There are just way too many variables.  People have things like this and it does a good job with money strategies, but I heard someone left it on for days on an engine board and didn't realize the engine.  I'm actually making something that will be kind of similar, but I don't know if it will ever get good at the game.

Meh I'm a noob to dominion so I wouldn't know how difficult exactly it could be. Right now I only know things about the base set and alchemy.

clantosa

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 27, 2014, 05:03:51 pm »

Is there any web site or good dominon resource that explains a wide wide range of strategies in a really clear concise way

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 27, 2014, 05:12:32 pm »

The Provincial dominion AI did try to learn strategies in a kingdom by repetition. It was limited though and it doesn't help humans learn strategy. Dominion Strategy | Cards, Combos, and Counters has a variety of articles that might you although the best way to learn is to play.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 27, 2014, 05:15:37 pm »
+4

Is there any web site or good dominon resource that explains a wide wide range of strategies in a really clear concise way

Where do you think you are?

dominionstrategy.com

clantosa

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 27, 2014, 05:30:49 pm »

dominionstrategy.com

I meant other than dominionstrat since it was already a given : P

And I love how this thread has gotten so off topic from the original post

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 27, 2014, 05:34:29 pm »
+7

And I love how this thread has gotten so off topic from the original post

Welcome to the forums.

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 27, 2014, 05:36:45 pm »
+1

On a more serious note, the best way to get better is to play (even if it's against the bots, but not adventures in their current state). One thing that's helped a lot of new players is to post kingdoms with a log of their play in the help section and ask for feedback for improving. We're a generally helpful bunch, though we often lack a bit of tact.

ragingduckd

• Board Moderator
  • Respect: +3527
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 27, 2014, 05:44:24 pm »
+1

dominionstrategy.com

I meant other than dominionstrat since it was already a given : P

Well, there's also a lot of good stuff on this site.
Salvager Extension | Isotropish Leaderboard | Game Data | Log Search & other toys | Salvager Bug Reports

Salvager not working for me at all today. ... Please help! I can't go back to playing without it like an animal!

clantosa

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 27, 2014, 05:53:13 pm »

when was dominion invented anyways

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 27, 2014, 05:55:02 pm »

2006, came out in 2008

clantosa

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 27, 2014, 05:56:00 pm »

2006, came out in 2008

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i have been enlightened!

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: March 27, 2014, 05:57:53 pm »
+8

2006, came out in 2008

Ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhh i have been enlightened!
that's what she said

clantosa

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 27, 2014, 05:58:09 pm »

idk what this bot is going for.... it buys a throne room and spy every single turn and it keeps doing this crazy loop between spy and throne and two silvers lol. it is getting no where

clantosa

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 27, 2014, 06:02:10 pm »

This bot failed in all respects it got 10 spies 10 throne rooms and 10 cellars and it managed to get 0 victory points by the end lol idk what the strategy here was

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 27, 2014, 06:29:55 pm »
+3

This bot failed in all respects it got 10 spies 10 throne rooms and 10 cellars and it managed to get 0 victory points by the end lol idk what the strategy here was
What you need to realise is that the bots play the long game. The *very* long game. So long, in fact, it still hasn't ended.

michaeljb

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 27, 2014, 08:56:31 pm »
+2

What you need to realise is that the bots play the long game. The *very* long game. So long, in fact, it still hasn't ended.

The bots know you'll starve to death before them, so they're waiting for that win condition.
🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: March 27, 2014, 09:03:21 pm »

The force is strong with this one.
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.674 seconds with 21 queries.