Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2  All

Author Topic: Alchemy lvl 15 Help  (Read 12288 times)

clantosa

• Steward
  • Respect: +1
    • View Profile
Alchemy lvl 15 Help
« on: March 27, 2014, 01:35:04 pm »

How can you beat this lvl only using 2 zaps when the bot starts with 2 duchies and 3 silvers and when you start with a curse and no benefits?

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Re: Alchemy lvl 15 Help
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2014, 01:44:12 pm »

I don't know about that particular level, but lots of them you essentially can't do with just two zaps.  Goko did a terrible job designing the adventure mode.
Well you *do* need a signature...

clantosa

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2014, 01:45:00 pm »

Kingdom includes:

Possession, Lab, Council room, Apprentice, Throne room, Garden, Familiar, University, Scrying pool, and cellar

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2014, 01:45:26 pm »

How can you beat this lvl only using 2 zaps when the bot starts with 2 duchies and 3 silvers and when you start with a curse and no benefits?

To paraphrase the creator of Dominion, "don't play the adventures until Goko fixes them." There are lots of issues with the adventures. Your best bet if you really want to do it is to use more than 2 zaps... you can get as many zaps as you need from the coins that you get while playing. Get enough to zap things back to normal starting hands; at which point you can actually play Dominion, instead of this weird, unbeatable, unfun, spinoff of Dominion.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3671
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2014, 01:45:57 pm »

I believe there are plans in the works to redo the adventures. The game creator, Donald X., has put a lot of time into making good adventures and they'll be out at some point hopefully sooner rather than later.

clantosa

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2014, 01:46:13 pm »

Kingdom includes:

Possession, Lab, Council room, Apprentice, Throne room, Garden, Familiar, University, Scrying pool, and cellar

Were you able to beat all of alchemy?

clantosa

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2014, 01:48:51 pm »

I believe there are plans in the works to redo the adventures. The game creator, Donald X., has put a lot of time into making good adventures and they'll be out at some point hopefully sooner rather than later.

Alright thanks. I'll keep trying to beat this level with only 2 zaps but if I can't I'll go and get some. Everything has been fine up untill this ridiculous level.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 27, 2014, 01:50:48 pm »

i wouldn't bother with adventures either, tbh (or just zap everything?). but that's not what you want to hear, if you want to beat it, go for it. don't let anyone tell you what you should do.

now, let's see, you will want to buy familiar for sure, and probably into university/coincil room/throne room. don't bother with scrying pool. with equal starting hands i would've said get some light trashing and go for provinces, but since you're playing from behind i'd probably skip trashing entierly and just go for gardens. it depends on how good the bot plays, does he blockpick gardens, how fast does he buy provinces, etc.

if you stay with 2 zaps - use them on his silvers, i think. maybe on your coppers. definitely don't use them on victory cards
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 01:52:15 pm by silverspawn »

clantosa

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: March 27, 2014, 01:52:00 pm »

A quick question about zaps

Lets say I buy 10 zaps. If I use up say 5 zaps on level 15 will I be allow to keep using these 5 zaps on the level over and over again just like your allowed to keep using the starter 2 zaps? Or will my 5 zaps only last the 1 game?

clantosa

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 27, 2014, 01:54:03 pm »

Lets say I buy 10 zaps. If I use up say 5 zaps on level 15 will I be allow to keep using these 5 zaps on the level over and over again just like your allowed to keep using the starter 2 zaps? Or will my 5 zaps only last the 1 game?

I have been zaping his silvers because it makes the most sence right now.

And he usually gets the first prov by turn 4 and he buys out as many gardens as possible. This level seems to have a hate level of 10/10

clantosa

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 27, 2014, 02:03:56 pm »

w00t i beat the level using only the 2 starting zaps!

Basically I got 3 familiars, 3 cellar, a few silver, and 1 council room. I started buying out gardens as soon as possible and used cellars to recycle as much junk as i could

Sadly I only got 2 stars but oh well

I'd post a picture but I can't figure out how to insert a file
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 02:06:53 pm by clantosa »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: March 27, 2014, 02:15:42 pm »

Once you select an extra zap for that level, you'll always get that extra zap for that level.  So you don't "lose" them if you play the level over again.

Pneumatiker

• Swindler
  • Respect: +5
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: March 27, 2014, 02:17:53 pm »
+1

If I use up say 5 zaps on level 15 will I be allow to keep using these 5 zaps on the level over and over again just like your allowed to keep using the starter 2 zaps? Or will my 5 zaps only last the 1 game?

You are allowed to use the zaps over and over again.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: March 27, 2014, 02:43:13 pm »

I don't mean to be rude, but stop playing the adventures. Unless you REALLY want the promos, they are not fun, don't make you a better player are are a waste of time. Only Dark Ages has balanced games, and even then playing against real people is just more enjoyable.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: March 27, 2014, 03:07:18 pm »

I don't mean to be rude, but stop playing the adventures. Unless you REALLY want the promos, they are not fun, don't make you a better player are are a waste of time. Only Dark Ages has balanced games, and even then playing against real people is just more enjoyable.

That's just, like, your opinion, man. I happen to agree, but some people do prefer to play bots.

I agree that ideally you should wait until the Adventures are fixed to play them. Not only are they theoretically getting rid of unbalanced starting hands, but each finale set of Adventures will apparently have some special rule that alters the gameplay. So, less grind, more fun.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: March 27, 2014, 03:10:43 pm »

That's just, like, your opinion, man. I happen to agree, but some people do prefer to play bots.

It is my opinion. I said it. I don't see any problem. The main point is even playing bots is better then playing adventures. They are not the same thing. And like, nearly everyone agrees. Yes DXV plays bots, but I doubt its because its more fun. It more out of convenience. Its faster and no waiting for a game needed.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2707
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2014, 03:15:26 pm »

Playing people will make you a better player than playing bots though, that's for sure.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2014, 03:20:13 pm »
+1

To be fair, some of the adventure kingdoms are fine and are interesting but the problem is always the zaps. You have to make a decision of "how many zaps will make me enjoy this game and win it" before you play which ruins it, for me anyway.

Others have said it before me but don't pay real money for zaps. MakingFun will hopefully be changing the system soon and we don't know if zaps have any future at all.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2014, 03:21:33 pm by DG »

clantosa

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2014, 03:21:37 pm »

Playing people will make you a better player than playing bots though, that's for sure.

I find that bots are pretty helpful. They play some nice engines that you can learn from when your new to a set.

And I just play adventures cuz I like completion. Logging in and seeing all the adventures with stars is cool

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2014, 03:42:51 pm »
+2

I find that bots are pretty helpful. They play some nice engines that you can learn from when your new to a set.

And I just play adventures cuz I like completion. Logging in and seeing all the adventures with stars is cool

The bots are not that good at the game.  When you learn from them, you don't learn that well.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #20 on: March 27, 2014, 03:58:39 pm »

The bots are not that good at the game.  When you learn from them, you don't learn that well.
They are pretty good at money strategies, but not very good at engines. If you play against the bots, you will learn how to play money strategies well, but you won't learn how to build great engines or how much better engines usually are than big money.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

clantosa

• Steward
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: March 27, 2014, 04:24:47 pm »
+1

Is there any kind of simulator that you can hand select your kingdom and then have the simulator create the best possible strategy for that kingdom?

Donald X.

• Dominion Designer
  • Respect: +25712
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: March 27, 2014, 04:25:02 pm »
+2

It is my opinion. I said it. I don't see any problem. The main point is even playing bots is better then playing adventures. They are not the same thing. And like, nearly everyone agrees. Yes DXV plays bots, but I doubt its because its more fun. It more out of convenience. Its faster and no waiting for a game needed.
Well I am in the unique position of being me, which changes how non-bot games go.

The bots have some advantages for new players - they're good enough to beat you, you aren't making somebody angry at how long you're thinking. For experienced players, if you just want to spend a few minutes playing, they play quickly, are there immediately, and won't mind if you quit (though they need to fix the quit% thing). It doesn't need to be about learning.

As people have said, the adventures will be overhauled, I have been promised that this will happen soon. The biggest thing is that you won't be expected to zap your way to competitiveness vs. a bot that starts with 3 Provinces. There will be rules twists spicing up act 3's (4 for Dark Ages). Some individual levels will vary things in whatever mildly interesting way. Most of the actual sets of 10 cards are unchanged.

In the meantime, if you are hungry for adventure levels, Dark Ages Act 3 does not ramp up to needing more than the 2 zaps they give you. Prosperity Act 1 ramps up, but you can beat most of it by being better with Goons than the bots are. And otherwise you can play the early levels of act 1's.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7866
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: March 27, 2014, 04:25:39 pm »
+3

Is there any kind of simulator that you can hand select your kingdom and then have the simulator create the best possible strategy for that kingdom?

I'm pretty sure that's what you get when you play against Stef...

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: March 27, 2014, 04:31:31 pm »
+1

It is pretty much impossible to know the best strategy for any kingdom.  And, there are some tactics that would need to change.

Pages: [1] 2  All

Page created in 2.543 seconds with 21 queries.