Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Fan Card - Huckster  (Read 1587 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9630
    • View Profile
Fan Card - Huckster
« on: April 04, 2014, 11:25:29 pm »

(couldn't think of a satisfying name for this)

Huckster
$3 - Action-Reaction

You may put your deck in your discard pile
+2 Cards

--------

When you would shuffle, you may reveal this from your hand.  If you do, look through your discard pile and set aside any number of cards from it.  Return those cards to your discard pile after you finish shuffling.

I got the idea for this from SirPeeble's joke about Monopoly promo cards - I was really intrigued by a card that would do something when you shuffle.  Obviously, Huckster combos quite well with itself; have two in your hand, play one, dump your deck in your discard, then reveal the other to make sure you draw exactly the two cards you want.  Some plays Thief when your deck is empty?  Make sure you have two Coppers on top.
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
Re: Fan Card - Huckster
« Reply #1 on: April 04, 2014, 11:38:14 pm »

mh, the problem with this card is that you usually want the chancellor effect to draw your new cards faster. huckster always triggers a new reshuffle, so all your new cards are guaranteed to miss the reshuffle, alas you draw them later.

and the reacion part seems kind of broken. with this, you can always topdeck KC - KC - Bridge - Bridge - Bridge, or KC - KC - Torturer. Even in a slog, you can topdeck all your engine pieces.

I think the idea has substance, but you need to tweak the card.

Marcory

• Minion
  • Respect: +1207
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 04, 2014, 11:54:15 pm »
+1

As a $3 Digger, Sage is probably more effective than Huckster, as it has +1 action and doesn't require having two $3 terminals collide.

As a means of reusing your best cards every turn, Scheme is better, because it's also a cantrip.

The Huckster collision might be useful if you're drawing your whole deck every turn--but if that's the case, Scheme or Scavenger would probably produce similar results while having stronger vanilla effects.

The reaction is Ok against Thief-type effects, but on the whole I'd prefer Secret Chamber's reaction. Even though SC only looks at two cards rather than your whole discard pile, it works even when its draw doesn't trigger a reshuffle, and it will usually have a similar effect.

Finally, this mechanic would be really time-consuming in IRL play, especially multiplayer. That's why Secret Chamber, Thief, etc only look at the top two cards, and Rabble only hits three cards.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: April 05, 2014, 12:10:59 am »

Finally, this mechanic would be really time-consuming in IRL play, especially multiplayer. That's why Secret Chamber, Thief, etc only look at the top two cards, and Rabble only hits three cards.

This. A card that always prompts a shuffle when you play it? That alone is bad enough. The "set aside any number of card from your discard" is right out.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 05, 2014, 03:50:29 am »

mh, the problem with this card is that you usually want the chancellor effect to draw your new cards faster. huckster always triggers a new reshuffle, so all your new cards are guaranteed to miss the reshuffle, alas you draw them later.

and the reacion part seems kind of broken. with this, you can always topdeck KC - KC - Bridge - Bridge - Bridge, or KC - KC - Torturer. Even in a slog, you can topdeck all your engine pieces.

I think the idea has substance, but you need to tweak the card.

Not sure what you mean by that.  If you play Huckster after buying a good card but halfway through your deck, you speed up the shuffle to your new cards.  The only cards that miss the reshuffle are the cards that were in your hand or in play when you play Huckster.  Unless you mean the cards that you end up buying that very turn?  But again, there's a similar trade off with Chancellor too (it just happens on the next turn instead of the current turn).

The reaction doesn't seem that crazy, power-wise.  You can already stack it with Inn... OK, it's easier with this card than with Inn.  It might be a little crazy.  But it's not THAT crazy.  Note: for this reaction to work, you have to trigger the reshuffle during your action or buy phase.  In the clean-up phase, you will discard it before drawing cards.  Now note -- if you are reshuffling, it means you are drawing at least 1 card.  So you can stack KC-KC-Bridge-Bridge-Bridge, but then you still have to shuffle those 5 and then draw at least 1.  If you leave a spare card in there, you can't guarantee that you'll draw the spare and leave the other 5 for next turn.  So it isn't a trivial thing to rig a mega combo.

Marcory's final point is probably a deal breaker though.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.61 seconds with 21 queries.