Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Author Topic: A few simple action cards without name...  (Read 8722 times)

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
Re: A few simple action cards without name...
« Reply #25 on: February 27, 2014, 03:02:42 pm »

Hey, thanks for all that feedback !
Yes, it's obviously weak and balancing it is harder than it seems. And I totally forgot about hunting grounds (maybe because I haven't played a single Dark Ages game other than on Androminion and its marvellous AIs yet ?)
Theory's second idea seems nice to me : draw and reveal between 5 cards (I think this is enough) then contraband effect among the revealed cards. Plus it's still decent at $6, don't you think ?
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 29, 2014, 02:23:16 pm »

Land sorcerer
Action attack, $5
Attacks
+1 card.
Discard any number of cards. +1 card per discarded card.
Each other player gains a Rift and puts it on top of his deck.

Rift
Action, $0
+1 action
Each player draws a card
(this is not in the supply)

Thematically, it's about a sorcerer that is mad and makes holes in the ground. For you, you can take advantage of a Cellar effect, and your opponents are just forced to take the same holes, which will be benefit for yourself, although it plays differently in many players, and with Militia-like attack of course.
But the main point was the gameplay, and not the thema which is only a pretext. Plus I wanted a bonus that worked better with large hands, so this.

What I love is that you can stack them, because Rifts aren't like curses, and if you play 2 or 3 Land Sorcerers (name to be changed...) , opponent will have a dilemna  : use them and give you a boost, like a Caravan or Wharf whould do (maybe one turn later), or ignore them/discard them to Horse traders ?
Chocolate is like victory points in Dominion. Both taste good but they'll hurt you if you eat too much of it instead of something else in your early days.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 29, 2014, 02:27:43 pm »

Giving each player a card is too good for me to risk. I might rather just discard my entire hand if I get 5 rifts.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 29, 2014, 02:36:06 pm »

Really ? So you think rifts should go in the discard pile "as usual" instead of being Lookout/Masquerade fodder ?
And if yes, what do you think about what Land Sorcerer would be ?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 29, 2014, 03:10:54 pm »

Really ? So you think rifts should go in the discard pile "as usual" instead of being Lookout/Masquerade fodder ?
And if yes, what do you think about what Land Sorcerer would be ?

Well I was thinking if they are in my hand. However my first thought is putting them all on top if a bad idea. Sea Hag discards the top card for this reason. Rift it almost worse than Curse because it's dead in your hand. You can't really play it without a discard attack because its too good for your opponents.

And how many Rifts are there? it matters because if they are not in the supply then this attack could just keep attacking and not bring the game close to an end. It will attack, everyone will trash Rifts then they can start building their decks as usual. So the Rifts really should be a supply pile. Otherwise this just makes the game longer for no reason.

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2014, 04:13:56 pm »

In a n-player game, let's assume 10*(n-1) (40 at 5 or 6 players).
And you are right, I forgot it : "if they are not in the supply then this attack could just keep attacking and not bring the game close to an end." . So Rifts should be a supply pile.

Indeed, Rift should be a dead card. Okay, it may seem redundant with curses. So, what about this :
"Rift : +1 card, +1 action. Each other player may draw a card, and then discard a card."
Cantrip for you, cycling for them, so you give them a benefit that shouldn't be too strong (and that is even weaker with Militias around).
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 04:15:44 pm by ChocophileBenj »

ChocophileBenj

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: April 04, 2014, 12:48:56 pm »

Now, a card about a not much used mechanic (and it's a good thing it's not more used) : "islanding" cards, just like one of Rinkwork's contest's winners (are tho 's in a row grammatically correct ?)

-Den- (name inspirated from the board game Libertalia which is about islands too, but other names are possibles)
$5, action
+2 cards
Set aside up to 2 cards from your hand. Return them to your deck at end of game.

I always thought the "Draw then trash" mechanic seemed a fun combination of two powerful effects, that should be used beside Masquerade.
Now, we have a card that seems decent when compared to other $5 2-cards terminal drawers (Vault, Witch, Ghost Ship, Wharf). You have both strong islanding (rather than trashing) and decent trashing drawing (I'm tired... 8 hours of school today, including an English oral presentation - and I'm French). AND it's still useful in late game !

As I said, it's fine islanding instead of trashing isn't more used than this because most of the times, green cards are supposed to hurt your deck even if they give you the win, right ?
« Last Edit: April 04, 2014, 12:50:11 pm by ChocophileBenj »
Pages: 1 [2]  All

Page created in 1.331 seconds with 21 queries.