Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Power Kingdom  (Read 2718 times)

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
Power Kingdom
« on: March 23, 2014, 08:54:07 pm »
+6

Code: [Select]
Great Hall, Woodcutter, Bureaucrat, Caravan, Procession, Scout, Wandering Minstrel, Mystic, Trading Post, Upgrade
http://gokologs.drunkensailor.org/static/logprettifier.html?20140323/log.505d732a51c359e6597efeb8.1395621875733.txt

SCSN builds a powerful engine based on Scout and Great Hall, with Mystic as a very key support card, Upgrade allowing trashing and later gaining, Woodcutter providing buys, and WM, Procession and Caravan greasing things up. But perhaps he forgot that Bureaucrat is the most powerful card in Dominion, and a great counter here.

No seriously, I go B-crat-caravan BM, he does this engine. And... it's pretty darn close. Ends in a tie. I definitely would go back to the bureaucrat plan if I had to play the kingdom again, but it's not a total blowout either way....

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3391
    • View Profile
Re: Power Kingdom
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 09:15:43 pm »
+1

I find it dubious that SCSN's deck wants Scout at any point over Minstrel, Caravan, or Procession... but I could well be wrong about that.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

jsh357

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jsh357
  • Respect: +4340
    • View Profile
    • JSH Gaming: Original games
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 09:37:17 pm »

I find it dubious that SCSN's deck wants Scout at any point over Minstrel, Caravan, or Procession... but I could well be wrong about that.

Scout counters Bureaucrat, which is the most powerful card in Dominion, so of course he went for it.
Join the Dominion community Discord channel! Chat in text and voice; enter dumb tournaments; spy on top players!

https://discord.gg/2rDpJ4N

WanderingWinder

• Adventurer
  • ...doesn't really matter to me
  • Respect: +4384
    • View Profile
    • WanderingWinder YouTube Page
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 10:03:35 pm »

I think you actually want Scout (I can't believe I'm saying this) at good chunks of time. The deck is SO many great halls, and then green green green. Scout is actually the only way of drawing cards on this board, you know? The point really isn't about getting to your actions, it's about drawing the cards. I actually made a joke about this engine early on, not believing in it... well, I guess it wasn't so much a joke. Certainly scout payed off more than WM for him here (well, it at least felt that way, but if you go count up the number of cards it drew... wait, I can do that; 13 plays drew 26 cards, though one of those plays was with an empty deck and obviously didn't matter at all, so really 12 for 26), though I don't know how representative this is. Actually... through the whole game, the proportion of cards in his deck which are green is about 1/3, and usually a little bit above that. So yeah, seems good to me, better than WM, considering he hardly ever has multiple terminals. They also work pretty well in conjunction - WM into WM into WM doesn't do much, and Scout-Scout-Scout can get logged up, but WM sets up GH for Scout to draw up, then rinse and repeat. Anyway, back to how lucky it was, seems to me that he probably got a little better luck than average, but not crazily so. Like, maybe you expect to draw 20 or so cards, given the synergies (maybe I am underestimating).

It did fail to draw a card one time (not counting the empty deck). This got a :( in chat.

Scout counters Bureaucrat, which is the most powerful card in Dominion, so of course he went for it.
Well, sort of. But That scout now sees one fewer card, so draws less. That's only half-joking. Honestly, too, he has a caravan in play on several turns, so you don't get the scout counter effect all the time. Really the Bureaucrat counters Great Hall more.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 10:10:15 pm »
+12

It's like when a stoppable force meets a moveable object.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

SCSN

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +7140
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 10:18:52 pm »

Scout is a very versatile card, it can even be a non-terminal Hunting Grounds:

SheCantSayNo: turn 13
SheCantSayNo   plays Scout
SheCantSayNo   reveals: Great Hall, Great Hall, Great Hall, Great Hall
SheCantSayNo   places cards in hand: Great Hall, Great Hall, Great Hall, Great Hall

-Stef-

• 2012 & 2016 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4419
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2014, 09:08:20 am »

I'm inclined to agree.
I think SCSN misplays the engine here... getting rid of the green looks like a better defense against the Bureaucrat then the great hall-scout-thing.
Turning the Estates into Silvers isn't the best thing for the engine, but at least Silvers are safe from Bureaucrat and they will get you to another $5 for an extra upgrade, or another $4 for Wandering Minstrel which will increase the frequency of your upgrades.

Somehow he needs to clean up faster, then getting a Bureaucrat of his own sooner / maybe even getting 2.

It's a very tricky engine to play so I'm not sure. But I am convinced that if you play this kingdom 10 times, eventually you'll "get" the engine enough to have a serious upper hand against Bureaucrat-BM.
Join the Dominion League!

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2014, 09:56:05 am »

I see the scout + great hall thing as a transition into the wandering minstrel + mystic engine that delivers the coins. You actually get a very good combo of two combos. I see no reason to trash out the scouts later as they retain drawing value and deck ordering.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12867
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: March 24, 2014, 10:08:13 am »
+1

You actually get a very good combo of two combos.
Yo dawg, I heard you like combos.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9412
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 24, 2014, 10:11:59 am »
+2

You actually get a very good combo of two combos.
Yo dawg, I heard you like combos.

Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: March 24, 2014, 01:42:25 pm »

SCSN could have also gotten a Bureaucrat earlier, probably. I think Bureaucrat is actually a decently strong attack if played every turn. It might even be stronger than Militia.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.047 seconds with 20 queries.