• Adventurer
  • Respect: +2860
    • View Profile
Patent
« on: March 22, 2014, 11:53:08 pm »
+1

Patent
2$ Action-Duration
Reveal a card from your hand.  If it is an Action, play it; if it would leave play during any cleanup, instead it doesn't.

If you procession a Patent, you could strand action cards in play indefinitely but wouldn't get the card bonuses.  If you patent an Island, the Island doesn't get stranded in play and goes to its mat and all.  Since the above the line text no longer is doing its thing it would get discarded at end of turn, just like Lighthouse gets discarded even if you want it to stay in play and provide attack immunity forever.  If you patent a one-shot, same deal.  If you Patent a duration card, the duration will stay in play but you won't get the effects turn after turn, because being in play has no bearing on actually getting the delayed effects, a-la-procession-wharf. 
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 12:06:41 pm by popsofctown »

qmech

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: qmech
  • What year is it?
  • Respect: +2320
    • View Profile
Re: Patent
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 07:23:34 am »

To test my understanding: if I patent a Lab, then the Patent and Lab stay out forever, and I get 1 card every time my opponent plays a Lab?

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2014, 07:24:02 am »
+4

Gets too strong with "while this is in play" cards. If i am lucky and draw my single Goons with this, i get the VP-bonus the entire game. I can do the same with my next Goons and my Merchant Guild, and so on.
Edit: Just saw it's a one shot. Hmm... I'd still let it play the card and then set it aside instead of it staying in play.

Also the wording needed to say "when another player plays a copy of the card you played with Patent, +1 Card."
« Last Edit: March 23, 2014, 07:26:43 am by Asper »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2014, 07:59:03 am »

I agree with Asper about setting aside the Action card rather than keeping it in play.  Otherwise it would be nuts with "While in play" cards like Goons, Lighthouse, Haggler, Highway, and Merchant Guild.  It would also have a curious interaction with Scheme, but that may be alright.
Well you *do* need a signature...

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2014, 12:15:20 pm »

Highway is a nombo, you go to all that effort only to help your opponent just as much.  That leaves four cards.  I'm okay with 4 pretty strong 2 card combos arising.  Especially since it's not obvious to me that any of the combos exclude the other 8 cards in the kingdom from improving it.

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2014, 12:16:24 pm »
+1

To test my understanding: if I patent a Lab, then the Patent and Lab stay out forever, and I get 1 card every time my opponent plays a Lab?
Yeah, that's right.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 23, 2014, 06:01:48 pm »

it seems similar to this:

you get +1$ if you play it / you get +1 card if your opponent plays it.

it should play out differently though. if you invest a pearldriver, your opponent will want to blockpick them. if you patent a pearldriver, your opponent will want to skip them. and keep in mind that +1card >>> +1$. every time your opponent plays a card, he's playing a free lab for you. lab is $5, so it's likely that he's not going to want to play action cards at all if they are <5$. not sure if that's interesting or boring... just sharing some thoughts. it might be really fun

popsofctown

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2014, 07:50:54 pm »

I like investment!  This is the opposite, I think they are both good card designs.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.121 seconds with 21 queries.