Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Combo: Candlestick Maker/Counting House  (Read 2629 times)

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
Combo: Candlestick Maker/Counting House
« on: March 22, 2014, 07:24:14 pm »
+4

There are a ton of $2 cards in this game that throw a small amount of support toward Counting House, but few of them actually make it a competitive card. Candlestick Maker is an exception.

Candlestick Maker provides just about everything you could want for a Counting House deck: extra buys, non-terminal, and a way to hit important spending amounts later on. The ability to fill your deck with extra Copper and more CMs while saving up for multiple Counting Houses gives this slick little $2 card the power to make a fully functioning menace come later turns.

CM/CH is a numbers game. Your goal is to get a mixture of 8 - 12 Copper, 4 - 6 CMs, 4 - 6 CHs in your deck, and perhaps a Province or two by turn 11. Starting turn 12, you can spend 5 or 6 turns just buying points every turn.

You really want to delay your third shuffle with this deck. If you can buy 5 cards in the first 5 turns, that'll add another turn before that reshuffle, with the possibility of a good CH turn on the back-end. Early turns in the shuffle, you should spend your extra buys on Copper since they'll get caught-up with any late CHs you draw. The later in the reshuffle, the more willingly you can spend tokens on CHs and other CMs. You'd really like to have at least 5 CHs going down the stretch so that the possibility of having one every hand after the 4th reshuffle is more likely.

I'll try to get so games up here so there's a visual, but I've done well with this deck in both Province games and Colony games. Candlestick Maker really does everything you want for Counting House, save making it more reliable on the reshuffle. I haven't tried mixing in other cards as the kingdoms didn't seem good for it, but I imagine sifters like Warehouse would work well.

terminalCopper

• Explorer
  • Respect: +758
    • View Profile
Re: Combo: Candlestick Maker/Counting House
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2014, 06:22:45 am »

If you can buy 5 cards in the first 5 turns [..]
Guess you mean 4 turns?

Interesting plan, though. Have to try it ...

Rush_Clasic

• Apprentice
  • never knows best
  • Respect: +80
    • View Profile
Re: Combo: Candlestick Maker/Counting House
« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 02:42:03 pm »
+2

I've tried this same idea with a few different kingdoms that have popped up.

Pawn + Counting House was markedly slower, but still surprising did well the two times I've tried it. Sometimes you draw multiple and wanna cycle one off looking for CH, which rarely hits but still offers options.

Squire + Counting House has been all sorts of awkward. You really require more of this 2 than any of the others, since they point actually combine with CH on the same turn. Not very reliable.

Hamlet + Counting House is good enough. It plays a bit different than Candlestick Maker since you hit 5 less reliably and cycle all the time, but it lets you cycle when you want to. It's about on par with Pawn, though I think slightly less abusable.

I've also tried this once or twice with Market Square and Worker's Village. It depends a lot on the kingdoms in those cases. I was able to set up Market Square, Scheme, Counting House rather effectively in an Ambassador/Colony game and just trounced the opponent.

Overall, I've had good experiences with this strategy. I haven't done much branching out to see if it's something worth incorporating into some other shell that likes a bunch of copper. In testing, adding things like Coppersmith and Bank just didn't matter much.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.361 seconds with 20 queries.