Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: A funny incident in a Possession game  (Read 2753 times)

manthos88

• Bishop
  • Respect: +43
    • View Profile
A funny incident in a Possession game
« on: March 14, 2014, 09:42:59 pm »

So, i played this Possession game: http://dom.retrobox.eu/?/20140314/log.516d4577e4b082c74d7b716e.1394844983866.txt

Nothing very interesting about it, but there was a funny incident:

On turn 17, my opponent accidentally trashed a Province with his Hermit. I felt this was very unfortunate for him, so i thought i should make this even. On my next turn, i trashed a Province with my Hermit too, on purpose (just, so that it was as if he had never done that mistake).

The funny thing is that i started to do better after that. Makes me think that the absence of a Province in my deck made it less likely for my opponent to get a good benefit via my Apprentices. And i start to wonder: Is there a chance this could have been a right play??? I mean, definitely trashing a Province with Hermit is a suicide, but maybe i could 've Apprenticed it at some point? I'm not sure about that though... Just a thought.
Just give me a mega-turn engine and take my soul...

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
Re: A funny incident in a Possession game
« Reply #1 on: March 15, 2014, 02:34:05 am »

Why not just trash the Apprentice with the Hermit? You keep the VP and he can't use it for lots of draw on a Possessed turn.

manthos88

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 15, 2014, 10:43:39 am »

Why not just trash the Apprentice with the Hermit? You keep the VP and he can't use it for lots of draw on a Possessed turn.

Hmm... I didn't really think of that. But, i guess i wanted the Apprentice for myself too. I guess i wanted something i could rely on when playing with MY deck. Maybe that was a mistake? I don't know...

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2014, 11:01:20 am »
+1

Hmm... I didn't really think of that. But, i guess i wanted the Apprentice for myself too. I guess i wanted something i could rely on when playing with MY deck. Maybe that was a mistake? I don't know...

there are cards which are equally useful for you and your opponent, like treasures, there are cards that are more useful for you (attacks, possession) and there are cards that are more useful for your opponent (trash for benefit, amb, island, masquerade). you usually don't want any cards of the third category in your deck in a possession game

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2014, 11:23:26 am »

there are cards which are equally useful for you and your opponent, like treasures, there are cards that are more useful for you (attacks, possession) and there are cards that are more useful for your opponent (trash for benefit, amb, island, masquerade). you usually don't want any cards of the third category in your deck in a possession game

I would say you want them, but get rid of them once the Possessing starts. They are still good in getting to the Possession stage.

silverspawn

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sty.silver
  • Respect: +3235
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2014, 11:43:36 am »

I would say you want them, but get rid of them once the Possessing starts. They are still good in getting to the Possession stage.

yea, of course. if you can get rid if them in time, and they help you getting to possession (f.e. butcher) go for them

manthos88

• Bishop
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 17, 2014, 05:52:57 am »

So, is it really that big mistake to hold on to my Apprentices? So, what's my goal here? To get as much as i can through my Possession while making my Deck crap?

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 17, 2014, 10:33:59 am »

So, is it really that big mistake to hold on to my Apprentices? So, what's my goal here? To get as much as i can through my Possession while making my Deck crap?

Actually I imagine this is a very reactive board. Graverobber+Apprentice seems nice, but is killed as soon as the opponent gets Possession. There's no +buy (except Possession sort of), so an Engine kind of has to go for it. BM Doesn't need the +buy and can still get Provinces. That could be good if you see your opponent going for Possessions. I would start Smithy/Silver with 4/3 and see what my Opponent does. With 5/2 you kind of have to go engine with Apprentice/Pearl Diver I think.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.656 seconds with 21 queries.