Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 38  All

Author Topic: NewMafia V : House of Cards (Game Over : Mafia Wins !)  (Read 102053 times)

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
Re: NewMafia V : House of Cards (Day 1)
« Reply #75 on: March 25, 2014, 11:04:04 am »

Also I suppose I could put some useful information up or something. This is my third mafia game on the forums, which makes me a sort of half-newbie I guess. I've also played a bit IRL, usually while inebriated.

Other newbies: Welcome to mafia, hope you guys have fun! Vets: shraeye, faust and mc are all familiar faces, this is my first game with Voltaire. I don't have any questions yet, this setup is much simpler than the two others I've played.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Delirious Deleuze

• Herbalist
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: March 25, 2014, 11:08:04 am »

Much better, I think.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: March 25, 2014, 11:09:39 am »

Who else thought it was cool when the name of this thread was House of Cards (full)

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #78 on: March 25, 2014, 11:13:49 am »

Also, this is my second game of mafia on the forum. I've played with faust and Voltaire before--but don't know anyone else--except mcmc who modded the game I played.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: March 25, 2014, 11:17:48 am »

Well I don't trust philosophers.  I learned from Month Python that they're all alcoholics.

Teproc

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Teproc
  • aka Le Teproc
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: March 25, 2014, 11:21:44 am »

Vote Count 1.1:

shraeye (2): Nik, mcmcsalot
Voltaire (2): Witherweaver, Delirious Deleuze
Nik (1): faust
Ichimaru Gin (1): A Drowned Kernel
A Drowned Kernel (1): Ichimaru Gin
Witherweaver (1): Voltaire

Not Voting (1): shraeye

With 9 alive, it takes 5 to lynch.

Day 1 ends at 12:00 p.m. on April 1, 2014.

Mafia play advice: If you are not content with the way the game is going, always assume that it is your fault.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: March 25, 2014, 12:34:12 pm »

Vote: ADK I am terrible at reading you thus you are a good first lynch for me. This is a real vote
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
Re: NewMafia V : House of Cards (PMs sent)
« Reply #82 on: March 25, 2014, 02:35:09 pm »

Hi all.  I may not be able to be extremely active until the evening for the next couple of days.  After that I should be fine.

There are two scum in this setup? I'm guessing one will be a veteran player.  It probably wasn't set up randomly given the structure of a newbie game.  But I have no reason to guess any particular one, so I'll randomly Vote: Voltaire.

So question to everyone, what are the odds witherweaver is mafia with a veteran partner who told him to say this. In an attempt to gain town cred. It has become a recent thing to give towncred(often to newbies) who make crucial setup errors that are unlikely to come from mafia.
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: March 25, 2014, 02:45:54 pm »

Well the time I was mafia, I definitely feel that I was encouraged to play up my newbishness. In the end, i Probably over did it but it still worked in my favor some I think. Although it's possible that it's an honest town question. It seems like scum would want to play up the confusion a little more.

Phone post

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: March 25, 2014, 03:00:53 pm »

Well the time I was mafia, I definitely feel that I was encouraged to play up my newbishness. In the end, i Probably over did it but it still worked in my favor some I think. Although it's possible that it's an honest town question. It seems like scum would want to play up the confusion a little more.

Phone post

would scum really want to sound overly confused or confident in their thought and then be able to go "oh! wow sorry I missed that entirely" I mean WW's post was thought out he gave a guess(one vet, one newbie) and a reason(newbie game)

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
Re: NewMafia V : House of Cards (PMs sent)
« Reply #85 on: March 25, 2014, 03:02:16 pm »

Hi all.  I may not be able to be extremely active until the evening for the next couple of days.  After that I should be fine.

There are two scum in this setup? I'm guessing one will be a veteran player.  It probably wasn't set up randomly given the structure of a newbie game.  But I have no reason to guess any particular one, so I'll randomly Vote: Voltaire.

So question to everyone, what are the odds witherweaver is mafia with a veteran partner who told him to say this. In an attempt to gain town cred. It has become a recent thing to give towncred(often to newbies) who make crucial setup errors that are unlikely to come from mafia.

Definitely something to look at if ww ever flips mafia or I guess if a vet flips mafia. The trend of "play up the newb" has developed in response to the (correct) use of setup errors to identify new players as town (not to create ICs, goddamn it I cannot wait to be in a game with Robz and rage at him  8) ) but anyway.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #86 on: March 25, 2014, 03:02:57 pm »

Phone post

would scum really want to sound overly confused or confident in their thought and then be able to go "oh! wow sorry I missed that entirely" I mean WW's post was thought out he gave a guess(one vet, one newbie) and a reason(newbie game)

It's also what at least one newbie always says in these games at the start.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: March 25, 2014, 03:10:55 pm »

Phone post

I mean it seems like a pretty legitimate question to me.

I don't entirely understand this. Are you saying you think scum would play up more confidence in misconceptions or confusion? Because there isn't a huge distinction in my mind. Although of course my example was only why I emphasized as scum.

Still, I feel like we'd question was honest.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: March 25, 2014, 03:11:39 pm »

*What I emphasized

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: March 25, 2014, 03:14:05 pm »

Sorry

*His question was honest

Phone posting sucks. I'll try to proofread better.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: March 25, 2014, 03:16:08 pm »

I'm thinking a coached newbie would play up confidently being incorrect. Because the more confidence the more likely they are too get town cred because "scum would never make that mistake" or at least that's the response he would want to get.

You were coached to play up newbie ness, much different than being coached to make a setup error.

Voltaire

• Jester
  • flavor text
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: March 25, 2014, 03:21:04 pm »

Good point, mcmc.

I am null on WW so far. I think I am now leaning town on mcmc for his approach/bringing this up.

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: March 25, 2014, 03:22:38 pm »

Ok that makes sense. I see the difference in , "what does this mean" vs. "I think this is the case"

And also that the greater confidence would hopefully garner town credit.
PPE: 1

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: March 25, 2014, 09:29:28 pm »

So my question was actually innocent; I just didn't read all of the first post carefully enough.  Though me being coached would rely on my  guess that there is at least one veteran scum.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: March 25, 2014, 09:54:02 pm »

So this may be a newbie question too.  It seems like (as town) you would generally not want to lynch during the first day.  Simply because there are more town than scum.  So your chance of mislynch is pretty high.. even if one or two players gets a good read, the chance of a majority going along with the correct lynch seems small. 

Is there usually a day 1 lynch in these games?  Has anyone done the statistics on how often they're correct?

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: March 25, 2014, 10:12:46 pm »

Oh hey some stuff's happening.

Vote: ADK I am terrible at reading you thus you are a good first lynch for me. This is a real vote

I think I've proven pretty bad at reading you too. I get the logic behind the vote but hopefully we'll have something better to go on before the end of the day.

I'm hesitant to bring up past history in a newbie game, but the last time I saw a vet go after a newbie for seeming "coached" was when raerae did it in Adventure Time, and she ended up being scummy scum scum. You at least went about it in a more direct manner than the whole "set up a trap" thing, though.

I think I read WW's question as honest, positing that he was told "ask this specific setup question, it will make you seem like a misinformed towny" seems a little too elaborate of a plan, especially when it's so likely to backfire (as it is for him). But it could be honest scum, i.e. he knows that his partner is scum and assumed that it was automatically supposed to be that way.

Ichimaru thinks the question is innocent, though I'd direct him to my point above. Volt's null on WW, leaning town on MC. I disagree, I mean his approach was honest but I think the level of planning and newbie coaching he's talking about might be something scum wants town to think happens but is just something they can jump on to get people mislynched.

So I guess, slightly scum on mc and ww, though I doubt they're partners, so I'll hold off the vote. Mostly nullish on Ichi and Volt. We'll see what other people weigh in with.

I suppose if we're doing serious votes now I'll unvote.

PPE: "No lynch" is almost always anti-town as far as I understand. Even if you mislynch, that gives you information based on interactions that went on during the day.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: March 25, 2014, 10:34:33 pm »

I will unvote as well.

I think mcmc's serious vote and ending the RVS stage is mildly towny. In that RVS gets us pretty much nowhere--and scum would likely prefer for it to last as long as possible. However, I'm gonna sheep ADK and say that I think mcmc's point on ww was a stretch.

It's still incredibly early in the game though, so still have a null read on most everyone.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: March 25, 2014, 10:37:45 pm »

Also to clarify for newbies: I picked up on what "PPE" means without ever figuring out what it stands for. It means you're responding to something that was posted while you wrote your post (or just listing how many such posts there were).
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: March 25, 2014, 10:43:54 pm »

Unvote as well.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: March 26, 2014, 12:41:38 am »

Ppe officially means pre-post edit so when you hit post and it says there have been 2 new replied you would either:

Ppe: 2 (meaning you see there are two posts since you typed your post)
But it is more helpful to read them and say
Ppe: 2 followed by any relevant info you would want to add or edit based on those new posts.
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 ... 38  All

Page created in 1.634 seconds with 20 queries.