Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Eminent Domain  (Read 1222 times)

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
Eminent Domain
« on: October 09, 2014, 01:21:34 am »
+4

Just learned and played this tonight. 2 player game; used the simplified variation since we were self-teaching.

Anyway, it's basically like someone took Dominion and Race for the Galaxy, and put them in a blender. But it's definitely more Race than Dominion. Seems like a fun game. It has a really neat concept of forcing you to add a given card to your deck you want to perform that card's action. Imagine if Smithy said "+3 cards. Gain a Smithy". Except of course that would totally suck, while Eminent Domain is built around that concept.

Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
Re: Eminent Domain
« Reply #1 on: October 09, 2014, 12:51:11 pm »

Eminent Domain is perhaps my favorite game.  After you play a few times, you suddenly realize how many different strategic possibilities there are.  It's awesome.

The company currently has a Kickstarter going for a micro game version, and I believe you can pick up the expansion for cheap as part of the KS.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 09, 2014, 01:21:43 pm »

How does it vary with 2 vs 3 vs 4 players? Is it anything like Dominion where 2 player is the most competitive/strategic? I wouldn't think so; based on my one 2-player game, I feel like having more opponents would actually lead to more strategy.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 09, 2014, 06:32:03 pm »

The strategy scales nicely with player counts. In fact, it gets possibly even more interesting, since there's a greater chance that you'll have an opponent who will share role actions with you (which means you don't have to bloat your deck with as many rubbish cards as long as they reliably pick the roles you want to be following; and at the same time, you can wind up with larger hands coming around if you're *not* sharing roles with everyone. I find it becomes a bit like a 3-player Duke game, where things balance out nicely if two players share one strategy and the third goes the opposite direction.

The expansion is also pretty great. It adds a few things, including technologies that you can pay for with fighters (and they actually differentiate the different kinds of ships, too), "peace treaties" that get you +1 VP if you dissent on a Warfare role, and scenarios where everyone starts with a pre-built deck (which can range from "two super-powerful techs and lots of junk" to "use ALL the Politics!") and a particular planet, which puts a bit of a different spin on it. I wouldn't say it's essential, but it does add a huge amount without doing anything too detrimental to the game.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 09, 2014, 06:52:27 pm »

I feel like a 3-player game can become slightly imbalanced; any given strategy will revolve at least a little bit around Colonize or Warfare cards, and those two strategies will often (though not always) end up "evenly" split in 2- and 4-player games, but obviously not in 3-player.  Though interestingly, that doesn't automatically tip the balance toward the two matching or toward the solo player; it just usually turns into a more lopsided game.

I think 4P is the best, personally.  And yes, the expansion is awesome.  I was a beta-tester.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.404 seconds with 22 queries.