Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Web Comics  (Read 8902 times)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
Web Comics
« on: April 26, 2014, 11:38:40 am »
+5

Well you *do* need a signature...

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
Re: Web Comics
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2014, 11:50:07 am »
+1

+1 to xkcd and SMBC, those are the two I check actively. Perry Bible is really funny too, not familiar with the others.

I used to read Dinosaur Comics regularly as well, but haven't in a couple years.
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

Jimmmmm

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Jimmmmm
  • Respect: +2019
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: April 26, 2014, 11:54:29 am »
+4

It's pretty old now, but I loved 1/0.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12870
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #3 on: April 26, 2014, 12:30:50 pm »

I read various comics on the web on Sadpanda. Does that count?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: April 26, 2014, 01:38:24 pm »
+2

I think the best one these days is SMBC, although overall I like XKCD more (it has declined a lot in the last couple of years, while SMBC has been getting better). I also actively read PhD comics, although I think it has become repetitive. I started with PhD comics this past December, procrastinating writing my thesis. Maybe it stops being funny when you get your PhD.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: April 26, 2014, 01:51:38 pm »

Way too many to count. My all time favorites are probably Achewood and Cat and Girl. I'm also rather fond of Homestuck, but that's usually a pretty hard sell.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9413
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: April 26, 2014, 01:58:15 pm »

I used to read a ton of webcomics.  I still follow half a dozen pretty closely:  SMBC and xkcd as listed above, plus

Schlock Mercenary, comic space opera in a well-developed universe
Questionable Content
Order of the Stick, started by making fun of D&D, now has one of the better fantasy stories written lately
Penny Arcade because who doesn't like them?

Others I've followed in the past include one of the originals, Sluggy Freelance, which jumped the shark a few years back; Something Positive, which I just kinda stopped reading despite it being quite good; PHD Comics, which as soulnet mentions got repetitive, there are only so many grad school jokes to make; Queen of Wands, now ended but still available; A Miracle of Science, also finished but still available; It's Walky, also finished but still available I believe; Goats, which alas never finished its story line but was replaced by Scenes From a Multiverse, which isn't bad; Girl Genius; PVP, GPF, Nukees, and User Friendly, all geek-oriented; and a half-dozen others that are mostly completely gone from the web (Avalon, Cool Cat Studios, Catharsis, Repository of Dangerous Things, Acid Reflux, and a bunch more.)
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

michaeljb

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: michaeljb
  • Respect: +2115
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 02:04:43 pm »
+1

🚂 Give 18xx games a chance 🚂

Titandrake

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2856
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: April 26, 2014, 03:33:54 pm »
+2

xkcd, SMBC, Dinosaur Comics, but those have all been mentioned already.

Problem Sleuth is pretty good, think of it as Homestuck-lite. Starts out similarly boring and bizarre, then gets ridiculous. I recommend reading Problem Sleuth first.

The Adventures of Dr. McNinja: He is a doctor. And a ninja. It's entirely absurd, but everything is far too awesome for you to car. Start at either Meet the Doctor or Monster Mart, you will get more jokes if you start at Meet the Doctor but they're both valid start points.

Nedroid Picture Diary doesn't update nearly as often as it used to, but it has lots of deadpan humor and is generally pretty good.

Darths & Droids - if the Star Wars movies didn't exist, and were instead the product of a roleplaying campaign. Starts out making fun of roleplayer tendencies, then you start reading to see just how much they can subvert canon with just screencaps, and the surprising amount of character development in the roleplayers themselves.

Gunnerkrigg Court - right now, my personal favorite. It's story based, so you absolutely have to start from the beginning. I promise the art gets better, it starts out pretty bad. The themes in the story are very intricate, but the narrative is easy to understand, and manages to avoid the crazy complexity issues that Homestuck has.
I have a blog! It's called Sorta Insightful. Check it out?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 26, 2014, 03:52:12 pm »
+1

XKCD I read regularly which has been already mentioned. I also read:

Brawl in the Family, a Nintendo focused comic with a few loose running themes but mostly one page gags and the occasional short storyline. Mostly focuses on Smash Bros characters (hence the name) and especially Kirby ones among that.

Awkward Zombie, another video game focused comic (mostly Nintendo but a decent mix of games on other platforms). Almost entirely single page comics with little continuity, but lots of good gags and poking fun at insane stuff in games.

Sandra and Woo, which I think is best summed up in their own words: "a webcomic of comedy, romance, adventure and raccoon propaganda". Follows primarily the story of a 12 year old girl, Sandra, and her talking racoon, Woo, plus their assorted friends. Mostly a series of short stories focusing on different aspects, each usually featuring a nice gag of some kind.

Gaia, made by the same pair as the above (heck it's hosted on the same site), which is a fantasy comic following various characters doing uh stuff. Less comedy than the above but I enjoy the story, and it does still have various joke comics throughout.

Twokinds, another fantasy comic set in a world with anthropomorphic animals and humans. I dunno if I like this one quite as much as the others, but it does at least capture my attention, so eh.

I also occasionally read Cyanide and Happiness, which tends to have some decent jokes every now and again, and occasionally SMBC, which is alright, somewhat overhyped but there's some good stuff in there every now and again.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: April 26, 2014, 04:13:24 pm »
+1

Cyanide and Happiness

Yikes, I knew I was forgetting something.  I'm a huge C&H fan.  It is interesting that the comics are made been several different people, each with a distinct style.  Rob is my favorite.

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1184
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: April 26, 2014, 04:34:48 pm »
+1

There was a thread on this once before.
My favorites that haven't been listed yet are:
http://eqcomics.com/ (but updates infrequently of late)
http://buttersafe.com/
http://poorlydrawnlines.com/
http://www.loadingartist.com/

Ichimaru Gin

• Minion
  • Interesting™
  • Respect: +289
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: April 27, 2014, 03:58:32 am »

I used to read a ton of webcomics.  I still follow half a dozen pretty closely:  SMBC and xkcd as listed above, plus
Schlock Mercenary, comic space opera in a well-developed universe

The creator of that (Schlock Mercenary) is a really cool guy. He's on a podcast I listen to about writing, and it's really interesting to hear him talk--you can tell he is a very talented author.
His humor is pretty spot-on imo. And although I'm not interested in writing specifically in that genre, some humor is useful in almost any written work.

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: April 27, 2014, 04:07:03 am »

I recently scouted around for some new ones, these I found to be great:

1. Sunstone - What started just as some BDSM erotic images, later became a surprisingly well-written slice-of-life story that's just such a joy to read. Is actually getting into print this year!

2. Nimona - it's medieval times, with advance science and magic. He's a villain with a moral code and she's his uncontrollable punk-girl sidekick. It's adorable.

3. Fox Sister - It's kinda Korean traditional myth story in modern times. Story is fine, art is just amazing. Unfortunately it stopped updating recently. :(

Lekkit

• 2011 Swedish Champion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Lekkit
  • Respect: +674
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: April 27, 2014, 04:17:45 am »

The only webcomic I read nowdays is Goblins. The author recently got a nervous breakdown, so it's currently on hiatus, though.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: April 27, 2014, 06:30:39 am »
+1

Most of my favourite webcomics have already been mentioned, I'll just repeat the best ones.

-Adventures of Dr McNinja is probably my overall favourite, it's just fantastic ("What would Batman do?"  ;D). Every time you think it has jumped the shark, it one-ups itself. One of the rare webcomics that manages to get me into can't-stop-laughing-please-it-hurts mode. Anyone else read this, aside from Titandrake?

-Order of the Stick, for the story and characters, even though it doesn't take itself seriously at first and I've never played D&D. It still manages to be funny after growing a thickened plot, which is quite impressive.

-Gunnerkrigg Court, it's just so intriguing (the art gets better, indeed). Alternates zanny humour, mysterious magic, and some light nightmare fuel.

-8-bit theater is crushingly funny if you are into nonsensical plots, callbacks, and dark humour.

Also, I wish Perry Bible Fellowship kept updating  :'(

Haven't been mentioned yet:

-Derelict, a post apocalyptic story of a girl and her boat, simply trying to survive. A strange fog has turned people into Gargoyles, the plot evolves around the origin of that. It's cool!

-Next Town Over. The art is ****ing amazing, miles ahead of everything else I've seen. Setting: western. A zombified bounty hunter seeks to kill a necro-pyromancer, and it's not clear who you should root for. The archive is not very long yet, go read it RIGHT NAOH!

- The Abominable Charles Christopher. The only webcomic that isn't miles behind of Next Town Over in the art department. It's amazing how much emotion the author can work into animals without actually antropomorphizing (is that a word?) them. You'll cry because it's beautiful, you'll cry because it's sad. The story is an intriguing remix of the Epic of Gilgamesh. Need I say more?

-Powernap. Updates very infrequently though. A futuristic society where a drug obsoletes sleep... unless you are allergic to it. Onyric sequences mix with corporation intrigue. Nice art too!

-Dresden Codak. Updates like once every lunar eclipse. Interesting story about the Singularity, and other not-quite-yet-relevant-buy-maybe-shortly-in-the-future philosophical and ethical questions. The first chapter looks like it was made under the influence of some potent shrooms, it becomes sliiiiightly easier to follow afterwards. The art is nice, and the story very much not traditional.

-Chimneyspeak, a story about murder and prostitution and revenge and a midget in (Victorian?) London, very NSFW. I don't know if you can find it online anymore, though...

If you don't much care for story:

-Manly guys doing manly things, jokes about VG characters and comics and stuff. The author keeps a regular weekly schedule, yet can't always dedicate enough time to it. The good jokes are very funny, but sadly there's a lot of filler.

-Foxtrot, by Bill Amend. It's Foxtrot.

-Two guys and Guy. Self-deprecating humour about a hateful girl, a mad scientist with no social skills, and a good-for-nothing dude.

-Gone with the blastwave. Apocalyptic (very) dark humour. Short, updates close to never. Funny.

Probably forgetting stuff, and I am keeping some that I follow but aren't that good for myself, this post is long enough as is.
« Last Edit: April 27, 2014, 10:16:58 am by pacovf »
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

Ozle

• Cartographer
  • Sorry, this text is personal.
  • Respect: +3360
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: April 27, 2014, 08:27:19 am »
+2

Garfield.
Try the Ozle Google Map Challenge!
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=7466.0

Sullying players Enjoyment of Innovation since 2013 Apparently!

Mic Qsenoch

• 2015 DS Champion
  • Respect: +4329
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: April 28, 2014, 05:06:49 pm »
+2

ycz6

• Minion
  • Respect: +412
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: April 28, 2014, 06:01:49 pm »

I started reading Gunnerkrigg Court and Order of the Stick after they knocked out three of my favorite webcomics (xkcd, Questionable Content, Homestuck) in http://www.comicmix.com/mix-march-madness-webcomics-tournament/2012/04/02/final-four-of-mix-march-madness-2012-webcomics-tournament-vote-now/, which turned out to be a great idea because they are both insanely good. Maybe I should check out some of the finalists from the last few years.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: April 28, 2014, 07:03:37 pm »

Garfield.

http://garfieldminusgarfield.net/
http://www.mezzacotta.net/garfield

Check and mate.

My RSS feed is almost entirely webcomics, I follow many of the usual suspects plus a few odder ones like Busybee and Khaos Komix (the latter being an examination of large portions of the LGBTQ spectrum with some NSFW content). There are also a few that I've stopped reading, either because they ended (like 1/0) or because they lost my interest (like Megatokyo and GPF). I think the only webcomic that I don't rely on an RSS feed to check is Perry Bible Friendship, which I check infrequently to see if it's had one of its rare updates.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: April 28, 2014, 07:28:32 pm »

I've tried out a few of the webcomics which have been shared here, and something I've noticed is that some of you are really into narrative rich comics, with recurring characters and long story arcs.  I am rarely able to get into those sorts, instead preferring the style where each strips stands alone.

theory

• Administrator
  • Respect: +6125
    • View Profile
    • Dominion Strategy
« Reply #21 on: April 28, 2014, 07:42:56 pm »
+1

xkcd, SMBC, Dinosaur Comics, Penny Arcade, but those have all been mentioned already.

The Doghouse Diaries is like xkcd: http://thedoghousediaries.com/
Abstruse Goose is like a hipster xkcd: http://abstrusegoose.com/
Don't Shoot the Pianist is like a ultra-hipster xkcd for musicians: http://euge.ca

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: April 28, 2014, 07:53:03 pm »
+2

Oh man how did I forget about Spiked Math? That's another good one.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1021
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: April 28, 2014, 09:38:02 pm »

There was a thread on this once before.
My favorites that haven't been listed yet are:
http://eqcomics.com/ (but updates infrequently of late)
http://buttersafe.com/
http://poorlydrawnlines.com/
http://www.loadingartist.com/

+1 for poorly drawn lines. That's one of my very favorites right now. 

It's updated very irregularly but Nedroid Picture Diary (http://nedroid.com/) is delightfully absurd.

I also have enjoyed http://www.whompcomic.com/ lately, but mostly because the author's caricature of himself is like a mashup of two of my good friends.

ConMan

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +1706
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2014, 11:39:43 pm »

I've tried out a few of the webcomics which have been shared here, and something I've noticed is that some of you are really into narrative rich comics, with recurring characters and long story arcs.  I am rarely able to get into those sorts, instead preferring the style where each strips stands alone.
I think my collection is about 2/3 stand-alone gag strip and 1/3 narrative, but a lot of the narrative ones developed out of gag strips. For example, Irregular Webcomic is now, in its reruns, following multiple story lines that are all still really there for the jokes, but by the end of the year I think we'll have hit one of the big revelations that ties all of them together (but still really keeps it as gags, but with an underlying plot).
Pages: [1]

Page created in 2.53 seconds with 21 queries.