Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Live streaming Dominion  (Read 4949 times)

AdamH

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Adam Horton
  • You make your own shuffle luck
  • Respect: +3879
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
Live streaming Dominion
« on: January 11, 2014, 05:27:17 pm »

You're probably thinking to yourself "doesn't this belong on the YouTube sub-board?" Well maybe you're right but I know not everybody in the world looks at that board and I wanted as much visibility as I could get. Maybe in a bit this thread should be moved there.

So there has been some discussion and some experimentation by myself and others about the possibility of live streaming Dominion games. We want to give this a shot and maybe if watching YouTube videos isn't your cup of tea (or even if it is!) you can try watching a live stream! Interact with the streamer and the rest of the chat while the games are being played and commented upon!

What do you do? Well here's a couple of resources for you. First, a link to my Twitch channel. If I'm streaming, it will show up here and all you have to do is watch. If you register with Twitch you'll be able to enter the chat, and also if you subscribe to my Twitch channel, you can configure it to alert you (E-mail or whatever) whenever I start streaming. If you aren't doing anything and you get the E-mail, this is a great way to easily find out when the stream is live.

I'm going to stream tomorrow, Sunday January 12 2014 for as much time as I can, probably afternoon-ish Eastern time (GMT-5). I'll try to post in this thread when I do in case you'd rather follow this thread for that notification for a while, I'm still not exactly sure how people want to be notified so feedback is appreciated there.

Twitch archives videos of my streams and keeps them on my Twitch channel for a while so you can go back and watch them if you miss a stream.

If there is interest in this, or any feedback on any part of it, please let me know. This is very much under construction so all feedback and comments are appreciated and will be taken to heart. The vision is to have lots of people streaming Dominion and lots of people watching Dominion. This could be yet another way people get introduced to the game: as the streamer I'll make an effort to keep my commentary suitable for the audience, so if more beginner-level stuff is what the chat wants that's what I'll do. Or the interactive nature of streaming could be a great way for intermediate-level players to learn more about the game!

I believe that with the support of this community, live streaming Dominion could grow to be pretty popular, so hopefully we can make this happen. I'll see you there!
Visit my blog for links to a whole bunch of Dominion content I've made.

Polk5440

• Torturer
  • Respect: +1788
    • View Profile
Re: Live streaming Dominion
« Reply #1 on: January 11, 2014, 06:01:23 pm »

So... here's my question: What is the benefit for the viewer of streaming versus just recording and posting game-by-game videos where all the downtime can be edited out? I think the only time I would really want to watch a stream would be of a tournament final.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 11, 2014, 06:11:31 pm »

So... here's my question: What is the benefit for the viewer of streaming versus just recording and posting game-by-game videos where all the downtime can be edited out? I think the only time I would really want to watch a stream would be of a tournament final.
Indeed. Live streaming can result in lots of players getting to watch how you or your opponent got disconnected/kicked from the game for whatever reason.

A possible advantage of the live stream is that you'll receive more comments and feedback from your viewers than if you just archived your games on Youtube. Not too many people care to comment after the fact, especially now that commenting on Youtube requires Google+.

What would be great is if you can single out a few really interesting or awesome games from your archive, edit them somehow, and then put them on your Youtube channel. Sort of a "greatest hits" collection that can get saved from the Twitch archive clearing you mentioned.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 01:39:41 am »
+2

markusin - Twitch supports "highlighting" your streams. They save them for a couple of weeks, and during that time I can go in and "highlight" part of it and permanently store that video on my Twitch channel, so if I pull off the KC/Masq pin on someone and want it to be immortalized forever along side the game where I miscounted and lost in a hilarious way, my Twitch highlights page will have that.

Polk - It certainly sounds like there couldn't be much allure to watching someone play Dominion live when you could either play it yourself live or watch a video that has at least some reassurance that it isn't a complete failure. I imagine some people feel this way.

But people stream Hearthstone and speedruns of video games all the time and there's a huge audience for it. I have an IRL friend who speedruns and streams live and some of the reasons myself and others have for watching his stream so much include:

- The chat consists of lots of people who come back repeatedly and it builds sort of a community; I have an IRL friend who is just learning Dominion and she has mentioned that she's looking forward to me streaming Dominion because of the chat, and not really because of the content of what I'm streaming. And she's more of a hardcore gamer than a casual type as well.

- There's that appeal that it's live, knowing that anything can still happen, as opposed to "there's 2 minutes left in the video and his only chance is for a long game so I already know he loses." Live races of speedruns are exciting for me to watch because I can cheer on the streamer, kind of like rooting for your favorite football team while you're watching the game on TV (I hate football, though. Super Mario World is much better  :P ). Watching them do cool stuff and cheering them on is more satisfying to me than watching a video of it.

- Sometimes I wonder why WW is doing something in his videos. A lot of times if I knew I could get an immediate response from him I would ask him a question, but leaving a comment and waiting for him to get back is a little laborious. Live streaming, along with interaction with the chat creates a much more interactive environment that can appeal to some, particularly people who aren't as experienced at Dominion as a lot of people who post on these forums. I think the forum crowd could be a great start to an audience, and if the audience grows I wouldn't be surprised if it was another semi-reliable way for people to learn the finer points of the game.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 02:12:13 am »

With Dominion, I think the delay in Twitch streams will really hurt the ability for chat to interact TOO much. I play some games on Twitch occasionally, and the 30 second delay between doing things and chat seeing it can be a bit of an issue. In Dominion, it's enough that they can probably not interact too much with what you're even doing, and you'll be a turn or two ahead when you see what they say.

I would certainly be up for streaming some games against you, though, Adam, at some point. People can also use Multitwitch.tv to see both streams at once, which is pretty cool. If we try to only speak during our own turns it should also be quite easy for people to follow. I can do this afternoon, probably anywhere from about 2-3pm until 8-9pm GMT (9am-4pm for you).
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 01:18:23 pm »

Well I'm going to try and start streaming now. Goko's create game isn't working but hopefully Automatch will still be a workaround. Forums have been down most of the morning as well but I really want to do this so I'll be streaming...

Here's a link to my Twitch channel

Hope to see you there!

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 01:25:10 pm »

So if I play a game against you and watch your stream, I can view your hand at all times *evil grin*

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 04:10:59 pm »

It seems you can, with a ~30 second delay.

AdamH

• Margrave
    • View Profile
    • My Dominion Videos
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 06:40:39 pm »

I'll be streaming again tonight in a few minutes.

soulnet

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1751
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: April 21, 2014, 12:56:37 pm »
+1

I am streaming now on

Replaying a Kingdom we discussed with dudeabides.

PM me if its not working.

EDIT: Stream ended, but you can watch the video. This is my first stream and Dominion video in general, so PLEASE criticize so I can improve. You can use this post about the game for that, to avoid hijacking this general thread.
« Last Edit: April 21, 2014, 01:47:02 pm by soulnet »
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.197 seconds with 22 queries.