Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9 [All]

Author Topic: Cookie Clicker?  (Read 105161 times)

werothegreat

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: werothegreat
  • Let me tell you a secret...
  • Respect: +9625
    • View Profile
Cookie Clicker?
« on: February 13, 2014, 09:06:13 pm »
+1

So today, Cookie Clicker had their Valentine's Day update, and it's a pretty damn good one.  I wouldn't have mentioned this here, except I saw a rather familiar face on reddit:

Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

liopoil

• Margrave
  • Respect: +2479
    • View Profile
Re: Cookie Clicker?
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2014, 09:12:36 pm »

yep, we've been talking about cookie clicker a lot in the random stuff thread

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2014, 09:35:58 pm »
+6

It's like I exist off of f.ds
Well you *do* need a signature...

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 13, 2014, 11:17:31 pm »
+4

It's like I exist off of f.ds

WanderingWinder makes videos on youtube, so clearly we all exist off f.ds...

jonts26

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: jonts
  • Respect: +3668
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2014, 11:19:56 pm »
+1

Cookie Monster is broken and I cant figure out how big all these number are.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2014, 11:25:00 pm »

OK, I guess I need to get 5000 heavenly chips to unlock season switching. I've got work to do.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2014, 11:56:10 pm »
+2

The fact that this game exists perturbs me slightly. Can anyone explain the appeal?
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2144
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2014, 12:03:31 am »
+5

The fact that this game exists perturbs me slightly. Can anyone explain the appeal?

No.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2014, 12:26:40 am »
+1

It's actually quite intricate.  But how can you not see the appeal in getting stuff, which lets you get different stuff, which lets you get the first stuff more quickly?
Contrary to popular belief, I do not run the wiki all on my own.  There are plenty of other people who are actively editing.  Go bother them!

Check out this fantasy epic adventure novel I wrote, the Broken Globe!  http://www.amazon.com/Broken-Globe-Tyr-Chronicles-Book-ebook/dp/B00LR1SZAS/

Drab Emordnilap

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Drab Emordnilap
  • Luther Bell Hendricks V
  • Respect: +1886
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 14, 2014, 03:39:35 am »
+7

Watching numbers go up is like, one of humanity's primal urges, man.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 14, 2014, 08:21:53 am »

I don't get it either. It's only a game by technicality.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2014, 09:04:26 am »
+1

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 14, 2014, 09:32:44 am »
+1

It's a more of a philosophical game.

After a while you realize it's not that different from any other game where one of the main goals is "leveling up" or "getting to the end".
You just want to see what's behind the curtain.

This is not that different from all those "free-to-play", "pay-to-make-things-go-faster" games out there.

You could play this as an actual game by trying to optimize getting as many cookies as possible in the least amount of time.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 14, 2014, 09:40:24 am »

After a while you realize it's not that different from any other game where one of the main goals is "leveling up" or "getting to the end".

This is not that different from all those "free-to-play", "pay-to-make-things-go-faster" games out there.

You could play this as an actual game by trying to optimize getting as many cookies as possible in the least amount of time.

I disagree on what a game is. A game is an interesting series of decisions. Games without choice are usually boring. Dominion is all about choosing what strategy and what cards to buy. Skyrim is about leveling up yes, but it's choice of perks and weapon styles that make that interesting, not to mention exploration of a giant world and having overcome what you meet. Even action games like Call of Duty and GTAV force the player to make on the spot decisions. An enemy comes around the corner, and you have to react with the proper decision.

Cookie Clicker poses essentially no decisions and is therefore only a game in technicality in the same way "Who picks the higher number" is game. There is a decision, but it's so obvious that is has no challenge, no appeal and no motivation to make it, other than the fact that other people are making it too.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 14, 2014, 09:47:36 am »
+1

I disagree on what a game is. A game is an interesting series of decisions. Games without choice are usually boring. Dominion is all about choosing what strategy and what cards to buy. Skyrim is about leveling up yes, but it's choice of perks and weapon styles that make that interesting, not to mention exploration of a giant world and having overcome what you meet. Even action games like Call of Duty and GTAV force the player to make on the spot decisions. An enemy comes around the corner, and you have to react with the proper decision.

Cookie Clicker poses essentially no decisions and is therefore only a game in technicality in the same way "Who picks the higher number" is game. There is a decision, but it's so obvious that is has no challenge, no appeal and no motivation to make it, other than the fact that other people are making it too.

Cookie clicker certainly possesses decisions in terms of optimization.  Peebles outlined some methodology to making better decisions. You may think that's boring, but that's a subjective thing.  So is "so obvious" and "no challenge". 

In essence I'm not sure it's really that much different than Final Fantasy, which is my favorite game series.  Of course, that has storylines and immersive worlds to heighten the experience.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 14, 2014, 10:40:31 am »

Cookie clicker does have a story as you progress through it. It's not all that deep, but it is entertaining, sometimes funny, and oftentimes bizarre.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 14, 2014, 10:42:27 am »

Cookie clicker certainly possesses decisions in terms of optimization.  Peebles outlined some methodology to making better decisions. You may think that's boring, but that's a subjective thing.  So is "so obvious" and "no challenge". 

In essence I'm not sure it's really that much different than Final Fantasy, which is my favorite game series.  Of course, that has storylines and immersive worlds to heighten the experience.

Of course it's subjective. I've never played Final Fantasy so I can't say, but what I know I think Final Fantasy is mostly about the story/characters and world.

Perhaps a better description is that games rely on decisions with consequence. There are penalties in GTAV for dying or getting arrested. You drive badly? You'll crash and go to the hospital. The Witcher 2 had severe penalties. Death meant you had to load your previous save, or checkpoint if you're on a mission (essentially a large loss of progress). Compare to the most recent Prince of Persia, where I was in the middle of a battle, left to answer the phone and came back 20mins later without any change. My character died and appeared in the same spot over and over again. Why am I playing, or more importantly why do I want to get better, if playing badly is the same as playing well?

Cookie Clicker is just pressing a button, and yeah I guess you can click it more optimally than others. But there isn't any consequence for doing it worse. You get less cookies that don't do anything. There's no mechanics in the game aside clicking for more. Maybe I just need a goal to enjoy a game, I don't know.

And SirPeeles likes math, and I think he'll enjoy solving optimization problems. It's not so much about clicking for cookies than it is about math and problem solving.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2014, 10:53:20 am »

Of course it's subjective. I've never played Final Fantasy so I can't say, but what I know I think Final Fantasy is mostly about the story/characters and world.

Perhaps a better description is that games rely on decisions with consequence. There are penalties in GTAV for dying or getting arrested. You drive badly? You'll crash and go to the hospital. The Witcher 2 had severe penalties. Death meant you had to load your previous save, or checkpoint if you're on a mission (essentially a large loss of progress). Compare to the most recent Prince of Persia, where I was in the middle of a battle, left to answer the phone and came back 20mins later without any change. My character died and appeared in the same spot over and over again. Why am I playing, or more importantly why do I want to get better, if playing badly is the same as playing well?

Cookie Clicker is just pressing a button, and yeah I guess you can click it more optimally than others. But there isn't any consequence for doing it worse. You get less cookies that don't do anything. There's no mechanics in the game aside clicking for more. Maybe I just need a goal to enjoy a game, I don't know.

And SirPeeles likes math, and I think he'll enjoy solving optimization problems. It's not so much about clicking for cookies than it is about math and problem solving.

Sure, but considering your character crashing and going to the hospital as a worse consequence than making cookies at an inefficient rate is a matter of perspective.  It's a function of how you set your goals.  Do any games really have consequences, except for causing you to use your time in a way you deem inefficient?   

Yes, a game like GTA does more goal-setting for you, but ultimately your achievements in GTA are just as meaningless or meaningful as the amount of cookies you create.  Ultimately it's just some stored data on a drive.  I think that was the point that was made (Davio?) about it being philosophical.. all the bells and whistles are stripped down and the blatent achievement-unlocking is exposed.

Plus, the game is funny (for at least some period of time).  I mean, you can unleash the Grandmapocalypse.. how is that not appealing?

Oh, and to this:

No game is about clicking for <experience, storyline progression, etc.>, that's just a mechanism.  I like playing RPGs (Final Fantasy-like) because I like to build and design characters and have them grow in power.  Not because I like clicking to cause a sword to swing.
« Last Edit: February 14, 2014, 10:55:44 am by Witherweaver »

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2014, 10:58:09 am »

Oh, and to this:

No game is about clicking for <experience, storyline progression, etc.>, that's just a mechanism.  I like playing RPGs (Final Fantasy-like) because I like to build and design characters and have them grow in power.  Not because I like clicking to cause a sword to swing.

That was more about the depth of the game. Just because you can get complicated about it doesn't mean it's actually complicated. I'd elaborate, but I really gtg. Killing too much time here right now :P

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2014, 11:06:41 am »

I've done one run (got Elder Santa and most of the achievements) restarted with 300 heavenly chips and got bored.. meh.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2014, 11:07:35 am »

That was more about the depth of the game. Just because you can get complicated about it doesn't mean it's actually complicated. I'd elaborate, but I really gtg. Killing too much time here right now :P

Well, yes, that's kind of the point.  Depth isn't exactly an objective feature of the game, it's something that is experienced by the user while playing the game.  Kind of something shared between the player and the record left by the creator.  Like reading a story.  Playing a game mandates a certain amount of suspension of disbelief... it requires us to, at least partially, immerse ourselves in the rules and world of the game.  Cookie clicker (and other such things) are kind of forcing you to face that issue by presenting a game in one of the most simplistic forms. 

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2014, 11:33:52 am »

Well, they're popular enough to have their own subreddit:

http://www.reddit.com/r/idleclickinggames/

So let's talk about how to define a "game."

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Game#Definitions

Personally, I like the Costikyan definition:  "A game is a form of art in which participants, termed players, make decisions in order to manage resources through game tokens in the pursuit of a goal."  By this definition, SMBC's Sisyphus Quest and Progress Quest are not games.  Cookie Clicker, however, is:  it has a goal, requires decisions, and invovled resource management.  And most other things termed games fit that definition, including JRPGs (where the goal is to complete the story, and the resources are characters, levels, and equipment), generalized RPGs (in which the goal is often nebulous or may be manifold:  WOW and KoL do not have one specific goal in mind when you play them, but each person might choose a goal), and of course board games.

Cookie Clicker has goals in the same way WOW has goals.  There's no storyline to complete, but collecting achievements, optimizing buildings to go faster than other people, figuring out how to gain minor advantages that will make cookies faster are goals that are just as valid as WOW goals like... collecting achievements, optimizing equipment to kill things faster than other people, and figuring out how to gain minor advantages that will gain you gold or prestige.

Or Dominion, where the goals are to collect achievements (winning), optimizing your deck to win faster, and figuring out how to gain minor advantages that will gain you VP faster than your opponents.

But here are some thing to compare with the question "Is Cookie Clicker a game?"

Is Tag a game?  (My kids certainly think so)
Is War (the card game) a game? (Again, my 4-yr-old would say yes.)
Is War (the... war) a game?
Is a tabletop RPG a game?
Is a slot machine a game?
Is Farmville a game?

I think the answer to all of these is probably Yes.

Perhaps a better question to ask is "Do I enjoy this game?"  I mean, the answer can most definitely be no.  I certainly don't enjoy War (either type), but then I don't like Catan, or even multiplayer Dominion!

If you don't enjoy idle games like this, I totally wouldn't blame you!  I think they can be amusing for a few days, at least the more intricate ones (see: CivClicker).  But then I also played Mafia Wars for quite a while until I realized that hey, this is just clicking buttons optimally!  Which evolved into idle games like Candy Box, and then Cookie Clicker.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2014, 12:08:32 pm »
+1

I'm pretty sure it's not a boardgame however.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 14, 2014, 12:23:29 pm »

I'm not terribly concerned about whether or not Cookie Clicker is a "game", I'm just surprised that what seems like a parody of video games has people genuinely invested in it. Which I guess shouldn't surprise me, people can and do get invested in just about anything. I suppose I'll take it as a zen thing- you lose yourself in the pursuit of cookies.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 14, 2014, 12:35:42 pm »

OK, so, challenge:  Create a deeper idle game, ideally one with a goal!  Though CivClicker does a reasonable job, so you need to be deeper than that, I think.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 14, 2014, 12:44:05 pm »
+1

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 14, 2014, 12:56:04 pm »

I think cookie clicker IS a parody, intentional or not. But parodies are often entertaining.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2014, 01:28:51 pm »

Dude, I've once played something called Idle quest, where the goals was to be idle in a IRC channel, the longer you idle the faster your RPG character progresses. So, there's that. In CC you at least click.

And oh, now there are prisms!

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2014, 04:02:12 pm »

I would say that a game is any activity that you think is fun.  That is an extremely broad description, but it's the one that I like.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 14, 2014, 04:07:34 pm »

I would say that a game is any activity that you think is fun.  That is an extremely broad description, but it's the one that I like.

My wife enjoys gardening.  I do not think anyone would call that a game.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 14, 2014, 04:33:37 pm »

It could be for her.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 14, 2014, 04:51:48 pm »
+7

It could be for her.

Gardening is just Farmville LARP

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #32 on: February 14, 2014, 06:01:06 pm »

My definition for game:

A game is a piece of art in which a player or players interact with the game itself or with each other under a set of artificial rules which allow the players to complete goals and to fail at it, depending on how the players interact with the game or each other.

By my definition, Cookie Clicker isn't a game because you can't lose. Tag is a game, War the card game (without a variant or house rule that adds interactivity) isn't, War the... war isn't, a tabletop RPG is, most slot machines are but not all of them, and I don't know what Farmville is so I can't tell if or not it's a game. And, quite ironically, The Game is not a game because you can't win (and by the way, you just lost it).
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
  • Respect: +1965
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 14, 2014, 08:15:10 pm »
+5

Awaclus, that definition is too narrow. You can't lose at Rollercoaster Tycoon but it's considered a game.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 15, 2014, 03:24:46 am »

For those who just want to see what's behind the curtain, open up a a Javascript console and type Game.cookies = 9999... etc, you even get an achievement. :)

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #35 on: February 15, 2014, 05:18:32 am »
+1

Awaclus, that definition is too narrow. You can't lose at Rollercoaster Tycoon but it's considered a game.
Not in the sandbox mode, but in the (what was it called) actual game, there are goals that you need to complete and you can fail at some of them. I certainly wouldn't consider designing a fireworks display in the sandbox mode "playing a game".
« Last Edit: February 15, 2014, 05:19:43 am by Awaclus »
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 15, 2014, 05:41:26 am »

A game is not defined by the one designing it, but by the one playing it.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 15, 2014, 06:36:03 am »

a tabletop RPG is

You can't lose at an tabletop RPG.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #38 on: February 15, 2014, 07:07:54 am »

a tabletop RPG is

You can't lose at an tabletop RPG.
You can. It's possible to fail at defeating an enemy you were supposed to defeat, it's possible to fail at picking a lock you were supposed to pick, it's possible to fail at swimming a long distance you were supposed to swim, it's possible to run out of water in the middle of a desert etc.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 15, 2014, 09:03:08 pm »

A game is a rules-based leisure activity, typically involving progress to a stated or user-defined goal.

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3347
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 15, 2014, 10:21:42 pm »
+10

Random stuff thread: Let's all talk about Cookie Clicker!*

Cookie Clicker thread: Let's define 'game'!

Go F.DS?

*Cookie Clicker may not have been a topic of discussion in random stuff for a while
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 15, 2014, 10:40:25 pm »
+2

Go F.DS?

*Cookie Clicker may not have been a topic of discussion in random stuff for a while

Game defining thread: Let's talk about random stuff!
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 15, 2014, 11:10:41 pm »
+1

Go F.DS?

Game defining thread: Let's talk about random stuff!
That's too easy, we've got to have at least three more layers.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 16, 2014, 03:16:13 pm »

Finally got Black cat's paw  :D

shraeye

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: shraeye
  • More Graph Theory please
  • Respect: +299
    • View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 16, 2014, 09:55:32 pm »

Peebles, I'm surprised!  I thought you were my biggest rival (in the non-hatred sense, where I simply mean we have a similar amount of cookies).  I got black cat's paw a while back, so I just assumed you were right there with me.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 16, 2014, 10:20:41 pm »

I might be wrong, but I suspect Peebles mostly plays by idling.

Also I tried to open Cookie Clicker again the other day (with the new announcement and all) and found all my data gone. Sad times.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 16, 2014, 10:44:21 pm »

I might be wrong, but I suspect Peebles mostly plays by idling.

Also I tried to open Cookie Clicker again the other day (with the new announcement and all) and found all my data gone. Sad times.

That has happened to me twice.  I just cheat the cookies back in.  That's the only time I cheat them in.

DStu

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1490
    • View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 17, 2014, 06:55:20 am »

I was thinking about resetting after the prisms farmed a ton of cookies, but if I see that correctly, I can't get the upgrades from Halloween and Christmas in the next game until I'm at 5k heavenly chips.

So the current game has 2k chips, I could upgrade to 3.5k, but if I calculate that correctly, I lose 5.12 multiplier from 7 Halloween cookies + 7 rendeer Cookies + Santa upgrades, and lose 5% milk, which would give me total multiplier of 380 instead of my current 375, so if that's true it's not worth it and I should farm myself to the 12 fantastillion cookies for 5k chips (from currently 6) without resetting?

And on top I lose half of my income from grandmas, which is anther percent missing.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 06:58:58 am by DStu »

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 17, 2014, 10:38:34 am »
+1

you don't lose achievements when you reset. And remember that when you reset you are going to be multiplying your cps by 75% from the heavenly chips. Not being able to get all those upgrades probably doesn't hurt you enough that it won't be worth it. Remember that the cookie upgrades give you an increase only on your base cps, the amount you get without any sorts of multipliers at all, which is actually pretty small. They do not stack. So I think it is probably worth it to reset.

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 17, 2014, 10:41:15 am »

Yeah, probably you don't want to reset. After my first reset with the Valentine update, I also lost quite a bit of CpS.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #50 on: February 17, 2014, 10:43:14 am »

Well, it is possible that you are going to continue gaining HC fast because of the prisms, and so it might be worth it to continue, but it is going to be worth it before you get to 5k HC.

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #51 on: February 17, 2014, 10:51:36 am »

you don't lose achievements when you reset. And remember that when you reset you are going to be multiplying your cps by 75% from the heavenly chips. Not being able to get all those upgrades probably doesn't hurt you enough that it won't be worth it. Remember that the cookie upgrades give you an increase only on your base cps, the amount you get without any sorts of multipliers at all, which is actually pretty small. They do not stack. So I think it is probably worth it to reset.

I know they don't stack. At the moment, I have a multiplier of (Heavenly + Cookie ) * Kitten
(39.92 +13.57) * 7.02 = 375.7
Resetting I get with 3.5k heavenly chips, but without the seasonal upgrades
(70 + 8.45) * 6.54 = 513.06 ???

Oh, I think last time I did this I took the wrong cell and multiplied with Milk and not with the kitten multiplier.  Thanks for having me calculating this again...

Edit: Ok, maybe I will not reset now, but at least there is some point before the 5k where it make sense to reset and gaining cps
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 10:56:22 am by DStu »

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #52 on: February 17, 2014, 11:04:00 am »

Heavenly chips multiply your cps after all other multipliers, cookies, kittens, etc. have been applied I believe.

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #53 on: February 17, 2014, 11:12:40 am »

Heavenly chips multiply your cps after all other multipliers, cookies, kittens, etc. have been applied I believe.
No, they add with cookies and multiply with kitten.  At least this method gives consistently the same number that the game tells me....

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #54 on: February 17, 2014, 11:17:43 am »

hmmmm, interesting. That makes it so the cookies become less and less valuable as the game progresses...

how exactly do the kittens work? I know they give cps for achievements, but what's the formula?

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #55 on: February 17, 2014, 11:23:03 am »

hmmmm, interesting. That makes it so the cookies become less and less valuable as the game progresses...

how exactly do the kittens work? I know they give cps for achievements, but what's the formula?

http://cookieclicker.wikia.com/wiki/Upgrade#Kitten_Upgrades

A =Number of achievements
M = Milk = A/25  (or 1.05*A/25 with Santa's 5% upgrade to Milk)
mul = (1+0.05*M)*(1+0.1*M)*(1+0.2*M)^2 (where each factor comes from a kitten upgrade)

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #56 on: February 17, 2014, 11:44:58 am »

I actually just looked at that page, then came here and saw you posted a link to it. Thanks. So, I'll try that with my game...

cookies = 10.35 - this is all of the cookies, so the cookies are worth just over 500 HC total, which becomes less and less significant as you get more and more HC.
HC = 207.26
Sum of the above: 217.61
Milk = 4.6
kittens are: 1.23, 1.46, 1.92, and 1.92
multiply the kittens and sum of HC/cookies: 217.61*1.23*1.46*1.92*1.92 ~ 1440.59. multiply by 100 to get a percentage, 144,059%

The game says my multiplier is 157,327%. This is close enough that I think I just made a small error... maybe I miscounted my cookies...

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #57 on: February 17, 2014, 11:46:54 am »

nope, the wiki confirms I added my cookies correctly.

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #58 on: February 17, 2014, 11:54:29 am »

Some non-cookie upgades (from Research facility) also give CpS. 15% CpS, I think.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 11:57:00 am by Grujah »

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #59 on: February 17, 2014, 11:58:26 am »

Oh right! also a couple santa upgrades, yes?

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #60 on: February 17, 2014, 12:06:47 pm »

I get to 13.57 with all cookies, santa and whatever additive multiplicator (excluding heavenly chips), that's
Code: [Select]
Cookie mul 5% 7 0.35
Cookie mul10% 3 0.3
Cookie mul15% 14 2.1
Cookie mul 20% 4 0.8
Cookie mul20% ghost 7 1.4
Cookie mul 25% 15 3.75
Cookie mul Bingo 0.15
Cookie mul rendeer 7 1.4
Cookie mul Xmas 0.82
Cookie mul Santa 15 1.5
« Last Edit: February 17, 2014, 12:12:40 pm by DStu »

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #61 on: February 17, 2014, 12:31:41 pm »

Where are you getting this:

Cookie mul rendeer 7 1.4

Also, what about Santa's milk and cookies, which makes milk 5% more powerful?

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #62 on: February 17, 2014, 12:44:47 pm »

Where are you getting this:

Cookie mul rendeer 7 1.4

Also, what about Santa's milk and cookies, which makes milk 5% more powerful?
This adds 5% to Milk, which is a 6.4% buff

Grujah

• Mountebank
    • View Profile
« Reply #63 on: February 17, 2014, 01:07:56 pm »

Each santa is 10%, if you have that one upgrade that does that.

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #64 on: February 17, 2014, 01:12:50 pm »

Each santa is 10%, if you have that one upgrade that does that.
Yepp, that's the last line the post above

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #65 on: February 17, 2014, 01:54:18 pm »

Game.CalculateGains=function()
{
Game.cookiesPs=0;
var mult=1;
for (var i in Game.Upgrades)
{
var me=Game.Upgrades[i];
if (me.bought>0)
{
if (me.type=='cookie' && Game.Has(me.name)) mult+=me.power*0.01;
}
}
mult+=Game.Has('Specialized chocolate chips')*0.01;
mult+=Game.Has('Designer cocoa beans')*0.02;
mult+=Game.Has('Underworld ovens')*0.03;
mult+=Game.Has('Exotic nuts')*0.04;
mult+=Game.Has('Arcane sugar')*0.05;

if (Game.Has('Increased merriness')) mult+=0.15;
if (Game.Has('Improved jolliness')) mult+=0.15;
if (Game.Has('A lump of coal')) mult+=0.01;
if (Game.Has('An itchy sweater')) mult+=0.01;
if (Game.Has('Santa\'s dominion')) mult+=0.5;

if (Game.Has('Santa\'s legacy')) mult+=(Game.santaLevel+1)*0.1;

if (!Game.prestige.ready) Game.CalculatePrestige();
var heavenlyMult=0;
if (Game.Has('Heavenly chip secret')) heavenlyMult+=0.05;
if (Game.Has('Heavenly cookie stand')) heavenlyMult+=0.20;
if (Game.Has('Heavenly bakery')) heavenlyMult+=0.25;
if (Game.Has('Heavenly confectionery')) heavenlyMult+=0.25;
if (Game.Has('Heavenly key')) heavenlyMult+=0.25;
mult+=parseFloat(Game.prestige['Heavenly chips'])*0.02*heavenlyMult;

for (var i in Game.Objects)
{
var me=Game.Objects[i];
me.storedCps=(typeof(me.cps)=='function'?me.cps():me.cps);
me.storedTotalCps=me.amount*me.storedCps;
Game.cookiesPs+=me.storedTotalCps;
}

var milkMult=Game.Has('Santa\'s milk and cookies')?1.05:1;
if (Game.Has('Kitten helpers')) mult*=(1+Game.milkProgress*0.05*milkMult);
if (Game.Has('Kitten workers')) mult*=(1+Game.milkProgress*0.1*milkMult);
if (Game.Has('Kitten engineers')) mult*=(1+Game.milkProgress*0.2*milkMult);
if (Game.Has('Kitten overseers')) mult*=(1+Game.milkProgress*0.2*milkMult);

var rawCookiesPs=Game.cookiesPs*mult;
for (var i=0;i<Game.cpsAchievs.length/2;i++)
{
if (rawCookiesPs>=Game.cpsAchievs[i*2+1]) Game.Win(Game.cpsAchievs[i*2]);
}

if (Game.frenzy>0) mult*=Game.frenzyPower;

var sucked=1;
for (var i in Game.wrinklers)
{
if (Game.wrinklers[i].phase==2) sucked-=1/20;
}
Game.cpsSucked=(1-sucked);

if (Game.Has('Elder Covenant')) mult*=0.95;

Game.globalCpsMult=mult;
Game.cookiesPs*=Game.globalCpsMult;

Game.computedMouseCps=Game.mouseCps();

Game.recalculateGains=0;
}

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #66 on: February 17, 2014, 02:15:46 pm »

When should I reset?

http://www.reddit.com/r/CookieClicker/comments/1wrudk/a_theoretical_analysis_of_when_should_i_reset_in/

Reset when:

2 times "how many more trillions of cookies I'd have if I had this much cps since the start of the reset" = "how many heavenly chips I'd gain if I reset right now" squared.

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #67 on: February 17, 2014, 02:22:59 pm »

I dont think this applies here as some upgrades are not gainable anymore after the reset

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #68 on: February 17, 2014, 02:51:15 pm »

It should still hold assuming you have >5k Heavenly chips and access to all the upgrades. I would say, the christmas upgrades are powerful enough you should hold off on a reset until 5k HC. I had about 1200 HC's at the update, and got to over 5k for the reset fairly quickly. Prisms are powerful enough that getting 12 quintillion cookies isn't all that difficult.

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #69 on: February 17, 2014, 02:56:23 pm »

It should still hold assuming you have >5k Heavenly chips and access to all the upgrades. I would say, the christmas upgrades are powerful enough you should hold off on a reset until 5k HC. I had about 1200 HC's at the update, and got to over 5k for the reset fairly quickly. Prisms are powerful enough that getting 12 quintillion cookies isn't all that difficult.

Greater 5 it certainly holds. Im not sure if i will reset with say 4k hcs, depends if i want to idle or play i guess. At 4k its still a 50percent buff for me, and its more fun to rebuild and have a bit more cps than farming golden cookies for no new buildings

mail-mi

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: mail-mi
  • Come play some Forum Mafia with us!
  • Respect: +1364
    • View Profile
« Reply #70 on: February 17, 2014, 10:35:58 pm »

wait so how does one get heavenly chips?
I currently imagine mail-mi wearing a dark trenchcoat and a bowler hat, hunched over a bit, toothpick in his mouth, holding a gun in his pocket.  One bead of sweat trickling down his nose.

'And what is it that ye shall hope for? Behold I say unto you that ye shall have hope through the atonement of Christ and the power of his resurrection, to be raised unto life eternal, and this because of your faith in him according to the promise." - Moroni 7:41, the Book of Mormon

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #71 on: February 17, 2014, 11:21:46 pm »

Reset the game with at least one quadrillion cookies baked I believe. Then you end up with Heavenly Chips equal to the square root of the number of quadrillion cookies you've ever baked.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #72 on: February 18, 2014, 12:22:48 am »

wait so how does one get heavenly chips?

Basically, when you reset, your total cookies baked (all time) determine how many heavenly chips you will have upon reset. The exact formula is can be found here: http://cookieclicker.wikia.com/wiki/Heavenly_Chips. You get your first one for 1 Trillion cookies and each successive HC takes more cookies.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #73 on: February 18, 2014, 02:03:30 am »
+1

I find it surprising that people actually play this play this more than once.
But you can find a challenge in anything I guess...

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #74 on: February 18, 2014, 09:21:18 am »

So, resetted with 4k (from 2k) HC and got from 9e12 to 12e12 cps in <3hours despite losing the seasonal upgrades. Had to farm 4e18 more chips to get to the 5k, that's 5e5 seconds = 138 hours with the original cps and  90 hours with the new (and in this game there is still potential to increase cps with new buildings), saved 48 hours.

Now of course the 3 hours here would have farmed more than 3 hours of chips because of golden cookies etc., but I doubt that you get an average multiplier of 12 with golden cookies, but I'm not entierly sure how much you can make with frenzy+cklicking frenzy.
Anyway, I would not have farmed golden cookies for 3 hours...

Watno

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Watno
  • Respect: +2982
    • View Profile
« Reply #75 on: February 18, 2014, 09:32:20 am »

I find it surprising that people actually play this play this once.
FTFY

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #76 on: February 18, 2014, 09:50:12 am »

Well, I played it once out of sheer curiosity to see what the fuss was all about, I even installed the CookieMaster browser add-on to optimize stuff. And then I just hacked it in, bought everything and was pretty much done.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #77 on: February 18, 2014, 01:02:09 pm »

My definition for game:

A game is a piece of art in which a player or players interact with the game itself or with each other under a set of artificial rules which allow the players to complete goals and to fail at it, depending on how the players interact with the game or each other.

By my definition, Cookie Clicker isn't a game because you can't lose. Tag is a game, War the card game (without a variant or house rule that adds interactivity) isn't, War the... war isn't, a tabletop RPG is, most slot machines are but not all of them, and I don't know what Farmville is so I can't tell if or not it's a game. And, quite ironically, The Game is not a game because you can't win (and by the way, you just lost it).

Why isn't War a game in your definition? You can lose in the card game, when the other player gets all the cards. It's pure random luck, but you call slot machines a game. Or is the decision of when to pull the lever enough for you? There still isn't any skill involved.

Real war fits your definition too. The rules are reality, the players are all people. You can certainly lose in a war.

You can even fit Cookie Clicker in your definition, because you CAN fail at it. The goal is to get certain achievements and you can certainly play poorly enough to fail at that.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #78 on: February 18, 2014, 03:19:00 pm »

My definition for game:

Why isn't War a game in your definition? You can lose in the card game, when the other player gets all the cards. It's pure random luck, but you call slot machines a game. Or is the decision of when to pull the lever enough for you? There still isn't any skill involved.

Real war fits your definition too. The rules are reality, the players are all people. You can certainly lose in a war.

You can even fit Cookie Clicker in your definition, because you CAN fail at it. The goal is to get certain achievements and you can certainly play poorly enough to fail at that.
"Most slot machines are but not all of them" means that the ones that don't have any interactivity aren't games. Pretty much all of the slot machines here do involve making decisions other than pulling a lever, though.

Real war is not a piece of art and doesn't have artificial rules.

Are there achievements in Cookie Clicker that become unavailable if you make a mistake?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #79 on: February 18, 2014, 05:19:51 pm »

Yes. Neverclick, Hardcore, Speed Baking I through III, and perhaps others.

Although, of those only Neverclick is a legitimate achievement. The others are all shadow achievements.

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #80 on: February 18, 2014, 05:40:20 pm »

My definition for game:

"Most slot machines are but not all of them" means that the ones that don't have any interactivity aren't games. Pretty much all of the slot machines here do involve making decisions other than pulling a lever, though.

Are there achievements in Cookie Clicker that become unavailable if you make a mistake?

what kind of decisions do those slot machines have?  Is it actually possible to be skilled at playing them, such that a skillful player has more success than a poor player?

"Art" itself can have a very broad definition.  But fair enough.

As for Cookie Clicker, I haven't played it myself, but Tables has answered.  I also expect that there are achievements for reaching absurdly high numbers which you could only do in a reasonable time frame with the right decisions.  Put another way, your definition means that the difference between a game and a non-game could be as little as a simple time limit.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #81 on: February 18, 2014, 10:40:43 pm »
+1

A guy named Sun Tzu would like to have a word with you on both of those counts, and the Geneva Conventions would like to talk about the second one in particular.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #82 on: February 19, 2014, 12:39:52 pm »

Yes. Neverclick, Hardcore, Speed Baking I through III, and perhaps others.

Although, of those only Neverclick is a legitimate achievement. The others are all shadow achievements.

Oh. I guess it's a game then.

A guy named Sun Tzu would like to have a word with you on both of those counts, and the Geneva Conventions would like to talk about the second one in particular.

I didn't know that Sun Tzu used warfare as a tool for artistic expression, and ultimately it's possible to break the rules.

what kind of decisions do those slot machines have?  Is it actually possible to be skilled at playing them, such that a skillful player has more success than a poor player?

"Art" itself can have a very broad definition.  But fair enough.

As for Cookie Clicker, I haven't played it myself, but Tables has answered.  I also expect that there are achievements for reaching absurdly high numbers which you could only do in a reasonable time frame with the right decisions.  Put another way, your definition means that the difference between a game and a non-game could be as little as a simple time limit.

Well, it looks like the meaning of "slot machine" in English is more narrow than that of the Finnish word "rahapeliautomaatti" even though they are the only possible translations for each other. In any case, there's for example a game called Payazzo in which you insert a coin and try to flick it into one of the winning slots (you do the flicking manually and get to control the initial speed of the coin, the angle is predetermined). And then there are multiple variants of solitaire poker, and even the slot machines which are based on wheels pretty much always involve some sort of a decision (typically, each round you spin the wheels twice and get to lock some of them after the first spin).

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #83 on: February 19, 2014, 12:59:06 pm »

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_War

Or wasnt that the thread where we explian all the jokes?
« Last Edit: February 19, 2014, 01:00:16 pm by DStu »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #84 on: February 19, 2014, 03:26:29 pm »
+1

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #85 on: February 19, 2014, 04:29:54 pm »

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Art_of_War

Or wasnt that the thread where we explian all the jokes?

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Game_of_War does not exist.  Argument settled.

Possibly, but Joshua sure liked his War Games...

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #87 on: February 20, 2014, 07:30:46 am »

I recently got to one sextillion cookies, and now my total is written in scientific notation.  I'm not a fan of that.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #88 on: February 20, 2014, 07:37:18 am »

Nice!  I expect to hit that later today, I'm just 20 some quint away

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #89 on: February 20, 2014, 10:06:55 am »

Wow. I'm still at 178 quint total... although it's growing much faster now with prisms.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #90 on: February 20, 2014, 11:21:55 am »

done! yeah, that scientific notation isn't as fun as strings of numbers, though it is informative.  Cookie clicker has taught me to appreciate the magnitude of large numbers.  Before, I'd have to count out sets of zeros to know what 1e21 was called.  And I couldn't even fathom how large that really was.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 11:24:23 am by shraeye »

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #91 on: February 20, 2014, 01:33:16 pm »

I decided to load up Cookie Monster for the first time the other day. It pretty much just does what my spreadsheet already did, except with more lag. Well, that's not entirely true, the Golden Cookie features are really helpful. I like that I can put numbers into 'scientific notation' but it bugs me that they don't actually use proper standard scientific notation, since it does [1-1000)*10^(3x) and not [1-10)*10^x as it should. If I could work out how, that's one thing I'd change with it.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #92 on: February 20, 2014, 01:37:14 pm »

I decided to load up Cookie Monster for the first time the other day. It pretty much just does what my spreadsheet already did, except with more lag. Well, that's not entirely true, the Golden Cookie features are really helpful. I like that I can put numbers into 'scientific notation' but it bugs me that they don't actually use proper standard scientific notation, since it does [1-1000)*10^(3x) and not [1-10)*10^x as it should. If I could work out how, that's one thing I'd change with it.

That's called engineering notation. And personally I prefer it, but I can see why you might prefer scientific. If you try the CookieMaster extension I think they have the option for normal scientific.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #93 on: February 20, 2014, 02:09:51 pm »
+1

It seems like if you don't play cookie clicker for a month or two you lose your save?  I guess it's stored in.. well, cookies?

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #94 on: February 20, 2014, 02:13:55 pm »

That's called engineering notation. And personally I prefer it, but I can see why you might prefer scientific. If you try the CookieMaster extension I think they have the option for normal scientific.

CookieMaster? Hmm... I'll look into it I suppose.

Edit: It doesn't have an option for it, but it at least has nicer looking numbers which I'm more used to comprehending (e.g. billion, trillion, quadrillion), plus it doesn't lag out the game, so gonna stick with that.
« Last Edit: February 20, 2014, 03:02:27 pm by Tables »

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #95 on: February 20, 2014, 02:50:08 pm »

It seems like if you don't play cookie clicker for a month or two you lose your save?  I guess it's stored in.. well, cookies?

Older saves are stored in cookies, newer saves are stored locally, so you shouldn't have the problem anymore.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #96 on: February 20, 2014, 08:04:57 pm »

Over most of the last hour, I've managed to lose cookies, simply because my Wrath Cookies decided to chain Ruin-Clot-Ruin-Clot without a single good event in between except a single Lucky.

Well, I have been technically gaining cookies because Wrinklers, but it's still pretty annoying to just see no progress getting made.

jonts26

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #97 on: February 20, 2014, 08:25:48 pm »

I feel like frenzy + lucky and the occasional frenzy+click frenzy makes elder pact the better option, though I haven't done the math.

Axxle

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #98 on: February 20, 2014, 08:29:53 pm »

I feel like frenzy + lucky and the occasional frenzy+click frenzy makes elder pact the better option, though I haven't done the math.
It used to be, the wrinklers add a wrinkle to the math though.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #99 on: February 21, 2014, 01:28:43 am »

I just only get One Mind.  You can get the Golden Cookies together often, and you get wrinklers.

liopoil

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #100 on: February 21, 2014, 08:20:09 am »

If you click cookies a lot, going full grandmapocolapse is slightly better because of the potential reindeer + elder frenzy combo.
« Last Edit: February 21, 2014, 10:26:58 am by liopoil »

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #101 on: February 21, 2014, 12:16:41 pm »

Older saves are stored in cookies, newer saves are stored locally, so you shouldn't have the problem anymore.

So before I lost my save I had gotten all the Christmas and Halloween updates.. can I get them back?  I had to start again from almost the beginning (no HCs).

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #102 on: February 21, 2014, 12:19:17 pm »

You need to get to 5K HCs so you can buy the season switcher. Thanks to Prisms, getting to 5K is actually not so bad any more.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #103 on: April 04, 2014, 10:55:29 pm »
+1

And there's been an April Fool's update which has a shit ton of achievements, though they seem rather tricksy to get.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 05, 2014, 07:58:36 am »

And there's been an April Fool's update which has a shit ton of achievements, though they seem rather tricksy to get.

There was only one added achievement.

Edit:  Oh, there's a new new one.
« Last Edit: April 05, 2014, 10:06:46 am by SirPeebles »

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #105 on: April 06, 2014, 08:55:38 am »

These new achievements are brutal.  I unlocked the Farm immediately, and the Factory one just a few minutes ago.  I should unlock Mines on Thursday.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
  • Respect: +932
    • View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 08, 2014, 06:02:56 pm »

Now that the wrinklers stay after refreshing the page, the clot cookie seems so pointless. You can just refresh to make it go away, and why would I ever do otherwise? It's hardly a hinderance, it just gets my hopes up that it'll be something better.

Plus, it seems like comes up like twice as often as everything else. :'(

(I fully realize that the last bit is almost definitely just frustration and confirmation bias talking)
"Quiet you, you'll lynch Dsell when I'm good and ready" - Insomniac

Winner of Forum Survivor Season 2!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 09, 2014, 02:08:36 pm »

THE PAGE ISN'T LOADING BECAUSE OF THE NEW UPDATE ;_;

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #108 on: April 09, 2014, 02:20:55 pm »

It seems like such an awesome update too, from the early reports.  Apparently Orteil took it down because there was a bug wiping everyone's heavenly chips.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 09, 2014, 02:48:33 pm »
+1

It seems like such an awesome update too, from the early reports.  Apparently Orteil took it down because there was a bug wiping everyone's heavenly chips.

It's back up now!  I'm liking the design for the new upgrade tier.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 09, 2014, 03:07:30 pm »

Kitten managers!

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 09, 2014, 03:35:11 pm »

Kitten managers!

That are made of slime, apparently.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 09, 2014, 04:06:06 pm »

I had to sell a Prism to buy the Kitten Managers, but it more than doubled my cps.  Best use of selling a building since the grandma.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #113 on: April 23, 2014, 02:02:11 pm »

Hopefully Orteil gets better soon so that he can release the Easter update.  :(

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 29, 2014, 07:57:35 am »
+4

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #115 on: May 16, 2014, 08:48:12 pm »

The Easter Update is finally up on the beta.  Nonillion cookies...

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 16, 2014, 08:50:25 pm »
+3

Upgrade: Graham Crackers

Costs one Graham's number of cookies
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #117 on: May 22, 2014, 12:28:34 pm »

I have the app running on my iPad now. No where near as complex or good as the web version, but it's nice cause it just runs, and I just check it every once in a while.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 28, 2014, 04:40:10 pm »

Have you managed to get every egg yet?

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 28, 2014, 05:12:06 pm »

I'm at 19...

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 28, 2014, 05:28:50 pm »

I'm confused. What's the most recent version that I should be playing? v.1.0465? of the beta which is in the top corner that says "Try the beta." The beta doesnt load my save saying its an old game, so I figured it was an older version. It also say v.1.0463, but with a BETA next to it.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 28, 2014, 09:49:35 pm »

Yesterday I finished getting every upgrade and got Transcendence (Reset your game with 1 septillion cookies baked).  All that's left are Dr. T (400 Cursors) and Obliterate (Reset your game with 1 octillion cookies baked), neither of which feels plausibly attainable.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 29, 2014, 12:39:30 am »

Yesterday I finished getting every upgrade and got Transcendence (Reset your game with 1 septillion cookies baked).  All that's left are Dr. T (400 Cursors) and Obliterate (Reset your game with 1 octillion cookies baked), neither of which feels plausibly attainable.

You got 200 Prisms?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 29, 2014, 01:41:32 am »

I'm guessing those should get easier when Orteil adds the new buildings he's been hinting at.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 29, 2014, 07:03:55 am »

I'm closing in on Transcendence and should hit it later today or tomorrow.  Those other two achievements are insane.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #125 on: May 29, 2014, 01:00:31 pm »

You got 200 Prisms?

Yup, on Sunday.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #126 on: August 25, 2014, 12:35:59 pm »

New update in beta!  Three new buildings!  More achievements!  Revamped prestige!  I'm making over 100 sextillion cookies per second!  Ahhhh!

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #127 on: August 25, 2014, 12:39:31 pm »

New update in beta!  Three new buildings!  More achievements!  Revamped prestige!  I'm making over 100 sextillion cookies per second!  Ahhhh!

Which one should I be playing? the beta or the live version?

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #128 on: August 25, 2014, 12:43:22 pm »

Which one should I be playing? the beta or the live version?

Beta.  Live hasn't been updated yet.  You can import your live save into the beta - I'm planning on export my current beta save back into the live version once it updates, with all the niggling bugs fixed.

Dsell

• Saboteur
  • He/Him
    • View Profile
« Reply #129 on: August 26, 2014, 02:05:31 am »

Bicentennial with the beta update. Everything except Black Cat's Paw!

DStu

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 27, 2014, 09:42:12 am »

But I have the impression that buildup is much slower now.  Made a mistake by to taking the golden cookie upgrades with me from my HCs but the best kitten and prisms update.
Now I'm sitting here with 3 time machines and building up to the Frenzy+Lucky cap, still now Prisms in sight for a long time.  But at least I have the golden updates myself, but I guess it's much faster to get there if you have the expensive ones from the beginning.

Anyway I can really imagine how that scales much better than before, already have 180 grandmas without them buffing Timemachines, and there are still ACs and Prisms (and Bingo) to come to make them more efficient, and each 15 grandmas counteract the price increase of buying a building...

edit: also, I could already afford prisms, but I'm still buying Portals as they are more efficient once you have all the buffs than the first Prism (presumely, don't know the efficiency actually, as I haven't bought one, but TM is less efficient), so that sounds promising for the power of the buffs.

edit2: The pink multiplier upgrade for bank seems to be missing, or?
« Last Edit: August 27, 2014, 09:52:57 am by DStu »

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #131 on: September 18, 2014, 01:38:36 pm »
+2

This is the best part of the source code:

Game.baseSeason='';//halloween, christmas, valentines, fools, easter
//automatic season detection (might not be 100% accurate)
var day=Math.floor((new Date()-new Date(new Date().getFullYear(),0,0))/(1000*60*60*24));
if (day>=41 && day<=46) Game.baseSeason='valentines';
else if (day>=90 && day<=92) Game.baseSeason='fools';
else if (day>=304-7 && day<=304) Game.baseSeason='halloween';
else if (day>=349 && day<=365) Game.baseSeason='christmas';
else
{
//easter is a pain godd***
var easterDay=function(Y){var C = Math.floor(Y/100);var N = Y - 19*Math.floor(Y/19);var K = Math.floor((C - 17)/25);var I = C - Math.floor(C/4) - Math.floor((C - K)/3) + 19*N + 15;I = I - 30*Math.floor((I/30));I = I - Math.floor(I/28)*(1 - Math.floor(I/28)*Math.floor(29/(I + 1))*Math.floor((21 - N)/11));var J = Y + Math.floor(Y/4) + I + 2 - C + Math.floor(C/4);J = J - 7*Math.floor(J/7);var L = I - J;var M = 3 + Math.floor((L + 40)/44);var D = L + 28 - 31*Math.floor(M/4);return new Date(Y,M-1,D);}(new Date().getFullYear());
easterDay=Math.floor((easterDay-new Date(easterDay.getFullYear(),0,0))/(1000*60*60*24));
if (day>=easterDay-7 && day<=easterDay) Game.baseSeason='easter';
}

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #132 on: February 05, 2016, 11:01:35 pm »

So, uh, sorry to maybe ruin your life, but it's been updating...

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #133 on: February 06, 2016, 01:06:19 am »

So, uh, sorry to maybe ruin your life, but it's been updating...

Uh oh.  Luckily it's only the beta.

Limetime

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: limetime
  • Respect: +1179
    • View Profile
« Reply #134 on: February 20, 2016, 05:56:28 pm »
+1

Dominion clicker?
Click those harems

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #135 on: April 06, 2016, 04:23:02 pm »

yeah, i clicked again

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
    • View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 07, 2016, 03:35:00 am »

This is the best part of the source code:

Game.baseSeason='';//halloween, christmas, valentines, fools, easter
//automatic season detection (might not be 100% accurate)
var day=Math.floor((new Date()-new Date(new Date().getFullYear(),0,0))/(1000*60*60*24));
if (day>=41 && day<=46) Game.baseSeason='valentines';
else if (day>=90 && day<=92) Game.baseSeason='fools';
else if (day>=304-7 && day<=304) Game.baseSeason='halloween';
else if (day>=349 && day<=365) Game.baseSeason='christmas';
else
{
//easter is a pain godd***
var easterDay=function(Y){var C = Math.floor(Y/100);var N = Y - 19*Math.floor(Y/19);var K = Math.floor((C - 17)/25);var I = C - Math.floor(C/4) - Math.floor((C - K)/3) + 19*N + 15;I = I - 30*Math.floor((I/30));I = I - Math.floor(I/28)*(1 - Math.floor(I/28)*Math.floor(29/(I + 1))*Math.floor((21 - N)/11));var J = Y + Math.floor(Y/4) + I + 2 - C + Math.floor(C/4);J = J - 7*Math.floor(J/7);var L = I - J;var M = 3 + Math.floor((L + 40)/44);var D = L + 28 - 31*Math.floor(M/4);return new Date(Y,M-1,D);}(new Date().getFullYear());
easterDay=Math.floor((easterDay-new Date(easterDay.getFullYear(),0,0))/(1000*60*60*24));
if (day>=easterDay-7 && day<=easterDay) Game.baseSeason='easter';
}
The date of Easter is easy to calculate, just add 6 weeks to Carnival.

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #137 on: July 08, 2017, 09:33:49 pm »

A new beta has rolled out, adding mini-games for a couple buildings.  I'm trying it now.

schadd

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: schadd
  • Respect: +1266
    • View Profile
« Reply #138 on: July 08, 2017, 10:09:48 pm »

nah
I thought you thought it was a slip because I said 'Jake's partners' instead of 'Roadrunner7671.'

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 07, 2017, 12:02:31 am »

I have all heavenly upgrades and all normal achievements other than sugar lump related ones.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 07, 2017, 09:11:27 am »

So yesterday I just finished playing Trimps after 3.5 months. Definitely one of the best idles I've played. I got to a point where I'd seen all new mechanics/content the game had; but didn't grind it out for every achievement or anything; that would have been another several months. It was so addicting though; ate up a lot of my time.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 08, 2017, 08:59:27 pm »

So yesterday I just finished playing Trimps after 3.5 months. Definitely one of the best idles I've played. I got to a point where I'd seen all new mechanics/content the game had; but didn't grind it out for every achievement or anything; that would have been another several months. It was so addicting though; ate up a lot of my time.

You rat bastard.  There goes 2 hours of my life.  :P

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 09, 2017, 11:37:26 am »

You managed to quit after only 2 hours??

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 09, 2017, 04:29:37 pm »
+1

Nah, still going...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 09, 2017, 06:11:47 pm »

Nah, still going...

If you use Kong chat there; I recommend room #2. It's where I was the whole time; great people.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 10, 2017, 10:20:48 am »
+2

I remember after a week or so when Cookie Clicker first came out I finally had an existential panic about what I was doing with my life and had to do a sudden scorched-earth cache-clear to break the spell.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 10, 2017, 11:27:07 am »

I remember after a week or so when Cookie Clicker first came out I finally had an existential panic about what I was doing with my life and had to do a sudden scorched-earth cache-clear to break the spell.

Same, though it happened with Candy Box for me. I stay clear from those now.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 10, 2017, 11:38:57 am »
+1

Same, though it happened with Candy Box for me. I stay clear from those now.

The thing with Candy Box (and A Dark Room) is that they have the feel of an idle game, but they also actually end! You can beat the game; and within a reasonable amount of time. I wish a lot more idle games were that style. I don't like this idea of just play forever until you get board of it.. I want to beat the game!

With Trimps, I eventually just set a goal for myself and decided that I'd stop when I hit that. It would have been nice to get all achievements, but that would have been a lot longer. Instead, I got to the point where I'd unlocked all new mechanics/content; so there was no longer specific things to look forward to reaching.

pacovf

• Cartographer
  • Multiediting poster
  • Respect: +3838
    • View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 10, 2017, 11:53:39 am »

Actually, I misremembered: I finished Candy Box 1 and 2, and they were ok. It's XKCD's sandcastle builder where I stopped myself. Dunno if it ends or not, I just didn't like what it was doing to me.
pacovf has a neopets account.  It has 999 hours logged.  All his neopets are named "Jessica".  I guess that must be his ex.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 10, 2017, 01:32:47 pm »

I don't like this idea of just play forever until you get board of it..

FTFY

blueblimp

• Margrave
  • Respect: +1559
    • View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 10, 2017, 05:30:16 pm »

You can beat the game; and within a reasonable amount of time. I wish a lot more idle games were that style.
Try Paperclips, if you haven't. I usually don't care for incremental games, but this one I played all the way through.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 12, 2017, 09:58:05 pm »

You can beat the game; and within a reasonable amount of time. I wish a lot more idle games were that style.
Try Paperclips, if you haven't. I usually don't care for incremental games, but this one I played all the way through.

I think I may have broken/lost Paperclips...

In Stage 3, I had some septillion probes doing stuff, and some sextillion drifters to fight. I moved all my trust from self-replication into speed/exploration to just get through the universe. Of course, this meant before too long I had 0 probes.

So now, I try to launch more probes; with all my trust in Self-Replication / Hazard Remediation / Combat... but I can't get past the millions, because they die in combat against the sextillions of drifters before they can create more than that. Have I locked myself out completely?

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 13, 2017, 03:03:45 am »

I think I may have broken/lost Paperclips...

In Stage 3, I had some septillion probes doing stuff, and some sextillion drifters to fight. I moved all my trust from self-replication into speed/exploration to just get through the universe. Of course, this meant before too long I had 0 probes.

So now, I try to launch more probes; with all my trust in Self-Replication / Hazard Remediation / Combat... but I can't get past the millions, because they die in combat against the sextillions of drifters before they can create more than that. Have I locked myself out completely?
Hm, I don't know, but there is a subreddit for the game. Maybe you can find an answer there: https://www.reddit.com/r/pAIperclip/.

There are some known ways to get stuck in the game unfortunately, though that's not one I personally know of. (But I've only played through once and don't know the mechanics well.)

Edit: Searching the subreddit for "drifters" turns up some people who got in a similar hole: https://www.reddit.com/r/pAIperclip/search?q=drifters&restrict_sr=on&sort=relevance&t=all. Maybe one of those solutions will work in your situation.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2017, 03:58:41 am by blueblimp »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 13, 2017, 09:54:14 am »

Yeah I think I basically tried the things they suggest. The people who were stuck there had trillions of drifters; I had far far more than that. I ended up using the Javascript hacking solution; just to set my number of probes back to where it was before I lost them all.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
  • Shuffle iT Username: pingpongsam
  • Respect: +777
    • View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 13, 2017, 12:16:41 pm »
+1

I've played Cookie Clicker numerous times over the years but never for more than 24 hours. I have previously enabled cheats to see all the game content. With this last thread bump I'm doing it for real no cheats. Less than 1 hour away from going into Day 6 I have 2.486 Quintillion cookies and have done a few Elder Pledges but otherwise fattening wrinklers for awhile. 10.1T CPS not accounting for wrinkler withering. My oal is to get all possible upgrades and achievements and do an ascension with however many HC it takes to maybe do a neverclick run or something. I'm not sure how committed I will be after the first ascension so i am drawing it out.
You are the brashest scum player on f.ds.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 13, 2017, 01:54:18 pm »

I've played Cookie Clicker numerous times over the years but never for more than 24 hours. I have previously enabled cheats to see all the game content. With this last thread bump I'm doing it for real no cheats. Less than 1 hour away from going into Day 6 I have 2.486 Quintillion cookies and have done a few Elder Pledges but otherwise fattening wrinklers for awhile. 10.1T CPS not accounting for wrinkler withering. My oal is to get all possible upgrades and achievements and do an ascension with however many HC it takes to maybe do a neverclick run or something. I'm not sure how committed I will be after the first ascension so i am drawing it out.

One of the achievements is 100 ascensions.  And, to get all achievements you need to play for over a year (because of sugar lumps).

werothegreat

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 13, 2017, 01:56:08 pm »

One of the achievements is 100 ascensions.  And, to get all achievements you need to play for over a year (because of sugar lumps).

There is a heavenly upgrade that reduces sugar lump growth times.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 13, 2017, 01:57:43 pm »

There is a heavenly upgrade that reduces sugar lump growth times.

To upgrade all buildings to level 10, you need 855 sugar lumps.  So, more like two years.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 13, 2017, 05:52:37 pm »

Yeah I think I basically tried the things they suggest. The people who were stuck there had trillions of drifters; I had far far more than that. I ended up using the Javascript hacking solution; just to set my number of probes back to where it was before I lost them all.
Yeah I think it's legit to sometimes use console cheats, since the game has some issues like that. In my playthrough, I had a problem with misallocation of processors vs memory that I fixed with a console cheat, although I realized later that it probably would have been possible to fix it legitimately.

Cuzz

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: Cuzz
  • Respect: +1018
    • View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 13, 2017, 09:03:38 pm »

Yeah I think it's legit to sometimes use console cheats, since the game has some issues like that. In my playthrough, I had a problem with misallocation of processors vs memory that I fixed with a console cheat, although I realized later that it probably would have been possible to fix it legitimately.

Yeah you’re screwed if you get > 30 processors before the end of stage 1.

blueblimp

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 15, 2017, 03:40:20 pm »

Yeah you’re screwed if you get > 30 processors before the end of stage 1.
I had the opposite problem. I realized early that memory was important, so that was fine, but then I kept dumping into it after 70. Then after going to space, I had way too few processors to bank the necessary creativity, and at first I didn't realize that I could use swarm computing with the space drones.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #161 on: November 19, 2017, 12:38:47 pm »

So I am now 12 days in and it's pretty boring now. I've got 290, 250, 250, 250, 200, 200, 190, 150, 150, 100, 100, 100, 72, 58, 50 buildings. Obviously just going for the building number achievements.

My primary strategy has been golden cookies. I've got Lucky, Serendipity, and Get Lucky and I'm in the 900s of GC's clicked. The best is when a Frenzy stacks with one of the building multipliers, like 7x(25x) or 7x(777x). Otherwise I get the lucky cookies which used to be pretty amazing and are now just drops in the ocean of quintillions. I'm at 780 quintillion all time/0 ascensions.

I ran Grandmapocalypse for a few days but wrinklers don't seem to really compare to strings of GCs.

I'm in the mid-900s of HC's so was thinking maybe at my first Hexillion I'd ascend. Looks like the next level is the Krumblor/spells bit and the Sugar Lumps (a pre req). Alternatively I'd wait till I had about 2400 HC so I could have 2 permanent upgrades on my first ascension (along with a few others).

any critique or advice?

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #162 on: November 19, 2017, 12:44:47 pm »

Another thing, on ascension, is there any value in selling buildings beforehand? I was definietly thinking about a sell-off to buy the last few building milestones for more mil next run.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #163 on: November 19, 2017, 06:48:11 pm »

Another thing, on ascension, is there any value in selling buildings beforehand? I was definietly thinking about a sell-off to buy the last few building milestones for more mil next run.

I would usually do that when I had those achievements to get.

Not sure exactly what you're planning for heavenly upgrades, but get the season switcher as soon as you possibly can.  It does wonders.

Also, wrinklers effectively multiply your CpS by six, so the grandmapocalypse is always good.  However, I would often only use One Mind so that I got the wrinklers and still 66% golden cookies.  At this point I rarely ever do anything on there so I have the full grandmapocalypse.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #164 on: November 19, 2017, 08:28:26 pm »

I would usually do that when I had those achievements to get.

Not sure exactly what you're planning for heavenly upgrades, but get the season switcher as soon as you possibly can.  It does wonders.

Also, wrinklers effectively multiply your CpS by six, so the grandmapocalypse is always good.  However, I would often only use One Mind so that I got the wrinklers and still 66% golden cookies.  At this point I rarely ever do anything on there so I have the full grandmapocalypse.

Yes, Grandmapocalypse makes sense at stage 1 but not at stage 3 (7x++ is strictly better than 6x). Once you go stage 3 I don't think you can get back to stage 1 without ascending.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #165 on: November 19, 2017, 08:30:25 pm »

For 1st ascension I was thinking Legacy, Permanent Slot, Heavenly cookies plus all 4 boxes), Starter Kit and Heavenly Luck. That's 328 HC's. I'll have over 1000 by morning. Another 2000 gets  a second permanent upgrade. Season switch should be prioritized over these?

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #166 on: November 19, 2017, 09:05:48 pm »

For 1st ascension I was thinking Legacy, Permanent Slot, Heavenly cookies plus all 4 boxes), Starter Kit and Heavenly Luck. That's 328 HC's. I'll have over 1000 by morning. Another 2000 gets  a second permanent upgrade. Season switch should be prioritized over these?

Yes.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #167 on: November 30, 2017, 12:15:29 pm »

Well I got season switcher. I've popped over 200 wrinklers during a Halloween period and only found 3 of the 7 cookies. Not sure how this is really going to pay off yet. In other news, ascension CPS is incredible, I should have done this way earlier. I ascended with 1460ish HC. I'm already near 9000 HC less than a week later. Also, my first sugar lump was meaty.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #168 on: November 30, 2017, 01:01:17 pm »

Well I got season switcher. I've popped over 200 wrinklers during a Halloween period and only found 3 of the 7 cookies. Not sure how this is really going to pay off yet. In other news, ascension CPS is incredible, I should have done this way earlier. I ascended with 1460ish HC. I'm already near 9000 HC less than a week later. Also, my first sugar lump was meaty.

Christmas is the big one.  There's so much stuff you get from it.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #169 on: November 30, 2017, 02:27:31 pm »

Christmas is the big one.  There's so much stuff you get from it.

I figure real Christmas is soon enough. working through Easter atm.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #170 on: December 04, 2017, 12:35:12 pm »
+1

Managed to Force the Hand of Fate to String together Dragon Harvest, Frenzy, and Elder Frenzy. I went from slowly accumulating Septillions to having a few hundred Octillion very quickly. I thought I could by 200 of every building but lacked 1 Chancemaker of having it (had 350 of several). The game got very boring very fast after that so I ascended to a Born Again to get the Neverclick and Harcore achievements then ascended again with about 650K HC. It's a whole new game again with all sorts of crazy going on with already 4000 HC in less than 30 minutes run time.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #171 on: December 04, 2017, 08:17:52 pm »

Well, Hand of Fate is kind of a game breaker when it fires. Ascended again with millions of HC and have almost all the ascension upgrades. 4 hours and 20 minutes into this one and I already have nearly 13 million HC. Pretty sure I'll get all 350 buildings some time this week. Rapidly approaching the point the only achievements left will be building levels and golden cookie clicks and spells cast. The game definitely starts slow but snowballs quickly when you can directly manipulate the CPS multipliers.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #172 on: December 04, 2017, 09:37:14 pm »

Well, Hand of Fate is kind of a game breaker when it fires. Ascended again with millions of HC and have almost all the ascension upgrades. 4 hours and 20 minutes into this one and I already have nearly 13 million HC. Pretty sure I'll get all 350 buildings some time this week. Rapidly approaching the point the only achievements left will be building levels and golden cookie clicks and spells cast. The game definitely starts slow but snowballs quickly when you can directly manipulate the CPS multipliers.

You also seem to be playing actively, which speeds it up a ton.  I have everything set up to maximize cookie production when I'm not around.

pingpongsam

• Torturer
    • View Profile
« Reply #173 on: December 05, 2017, 07:19:27 am »

Yes lots of active play and left open running while asleep, also I save the game before trying things like hand of fate and then reload on unfavorable results.  In other news it looks like 350 Chancemakers is pretty far away, actually.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #174 on: December 04, 2019, 07:13:42 pm »

:)

hhelibebcnofnena

• Minion
  • she/her
  • Respect: +409
    • View Profile
« Reply #175 on: December 05, 2019, 09:54:21 am »

:)

Hey, I'm not the only person who still plays this thing!
Hydrogen Helium Lithium Beryllium Boron Carbon Nitrogen Oxygen Fluorine Neon Sodium

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #176 on: December 05, 2019, 10:32:59 am »

I haven't touched this one in a very long time; but I do still play other various idle games from time to time. Mostly on my phone.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #177 on: December 05, 2019, 08:53:41 pm »

I still play from time to time!  Occasionally more occasionally less.  But Cookie Clicker is still like, gold standard.

Also, Antimatter Dimensions is kinda fun; less longevity than Cookie Clicker, but I liked the multiple layers of prestige.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #178 on: December 06, 2019, 01:47:18 am »

Also, Antimatter Dimensions is kinda fun; less longevity than Cookie Clicker, but I liked the multiple layers of prestige.

How dare you ruin my life by telling me about another idle game I hadn't heard of!

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #179 on: December 06, 2019, 08:51:33 pm »

I tried playing this again. Wasn't really my thing and I quit after about a day.

It felt like there wasn't any individuality in my choices. No matter what decision I made, after enough time my game would look like anyone else's.

sitnaltax

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +490
    • View Profile
« Reply #180 on: December 09, 2019, 12:39:03 am »
+1

I tried playing this again. Wasn't really my thing and I quit after about a day.

It felt like there wasn't any individuality in my choices. No matter what decision I made, after enough time my game would look like anyone else's.

But... the numbers would go up!

pubby

• Minion
  • Respect: +1046
    • View Profile
« Reply #181 on: December 09, 2019, 02:53:31 pm »

Yeah, and the number of seconds I have on this planet go down.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #182 on: December 15, 2019, 01:06:27 pm »

How dare you ruin my life by telling me about another idle game I hadn't heard of!

In all seriousness, you ruined my life. This past week I've gotten almost nothing done. Unlocked replicanti yesterday. Working twice as many hours because I'm only being half as productive while at work.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #183 on: December 17, 2019, 10:17:56 am »

It's got a lot going on; many unlocks, much gratification.

But it does end quicker than other idles, and at the end I said "huh, I could have played this 20% less and still finished in a reasonable time"

But of course that's not how my brain works.  Gotta watch those numbers...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #184 on: December 17, 2019, 11:40:49 am »

It's got a lot going on; many unlocks, much gratification.

But it does end quicker than other idles, and at the end I said "huh, I could have played this 20% less and still finished in a reasonable time"

But of course that's not how my brain works.  Gotta watch those numbers...

To clarify, you're talking about Cookie Clicker?

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #185 on: December 17, 2019, 01:36:40 pm »

no, I'm off the thread's main purpose; talking Antimatter Dimensions

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #186 on: December 17, 2019, 04:58:57 pm »

Ah ok. I just reached eternity this morning. It feels like there's an actual end in site. I keep reading about this upcoming "realities" addition; but I'm really hoping that it never comes. I prefer idle games that have a definitive ending; rather than ones that get continual updates to keep the game going forever.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #187 on: January 17, 2020, 04:23:23 pm »

I have completely finished this (all achievements; e4000 EP; etc). You stole over a month of my life.

markusin

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: markusin
  • I also switched from Starcraft
  • Respect: +2437
    • View Profile
« Reply #188 on: January 17, 2020, 05:18:22 pm »
+2

I have completely finished this (all achievements; e4000 EP; etc). You stole over a month of my life.

I guess that's idle games in a nutshell.

Let this be a lesson for all of us.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #189 on: January 17, 2020, 05:22:41 pm »

There's some really great ones that you can go through in a few hours. I also like the ones that have a definitive ending where you beat the game. I hate it when the developers feel the need to release constant updates so that what used to be the end is no longer the end. Just make a new game instead!

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #190 on: January 17, 2020, 10:12:31 pm »

There's some really great ones that you can go through in a few hours. I also like the ones that have a definitive ending where you beat the game. I hate it when the developers feel the need to release constant updates so that what used to be the end is no longer the end. Just make a new game instead!
Gimme a great one as retribution

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2020, 07:27:55 pm »

Gimme a great one as retribution

Assuming you already know A Dark Room, Candy Box, and Candy Box 2. Galaxia is another one that is great but only about 2 hours to beat the whole thing.

For longer ones; there’s Trimps, which I mentioned a couple years ago in this thread. Also The Perfect Tower, which has multiple prestige levels like AD does.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #192 on: January 19, 2020, 12:56:11 am »

Just started playing https://sparticle999.github.io/SpaceCompany/. Interesting... it has the mechanic from A Dark Room and Idle Blacksmith (and I think Kittens and Paperclips) where you have to manage income/resources by choosing how much of each stuff you gain/lose per second; so if you have things set badly you can just run out of some resources. But when managing everything well, you can get all the different resource types to have a positive income.

I hope this ends up being one of those "just a couple days" games....

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #193 on: January 19, 2020, 11:31:09 am »

Just started playing https://sparticle999.github.io/SpaceCompany/. Interesting... it has the mechanic from A Dark Room and Idle Blacksmith (and I think Kittens and Paperclips) where you have to manage income/resources by choosing how much of each stuff you gain/lose per second; so if you have things set badly you can just run out of some resources. But when managing everything well, you can get all the different resource types to have a positive income.

I hope this ends up being one of those "just a couple days" games....
I don't really like the "get the balance just right" mechanic, unfortunately.

shraeye

• Minion
    • View Profile
« Reply #194 on: January 19, 2020, 11:31:46 am »

It makes me spend far too much time fine-tuning, when just waiting a bit is probably the more brain-power-productive way of progressing.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #195 on: June 12, 2020, 03:33:09 pm »

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #196 on: June 23, 2020, 10:42:03 am »

Just discovered this game which has been around for at least a few years: http://www.glaielgames.com/succubox/. It's a great premise; you start with $100 and buy a new game called Box Quest, which is a basic click to kill your enemies game. But then you use the rest of your money to buy loot boxes to get extra stuff in the game. Then you're out of money, so you have to get a job to keep feeding your Box Quest habit. Things go nuts from there.

The entire game only takes 12-24 hours to complete. Also better with an autoclicker for the early parts.

Glitters

• Herbalist
  • Respect: +3
    • View Profile
    • Kevin Games
« Reply #197 on: March 26, 2022, 01:50:12 pm »

Clicker games are so funny stupid that it's impossible to dislike them  ;D
pls evaluate our project Kevin.games!

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #198 on: March 26, 2022, 03:01:43 pm »

Last year I spent about 6 months completing Synergism. Good stuff, but major time suck.

Right now sitting here playing fe000000. It's based highly off of antimatter dimensions, but doesn't look like it will take quite as long to complete.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • (´。• ω •。`)
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #199 on: March 26, 2022, 04:25:41 pm »

I have been playing Fair Game lately. It's a pretty cool competitive multiplayer idle game (it has rounds that end with a number of winners, and then a new game starts). If you join mid-round, you can't realistically expect to have any chances of winning, but you can use the first round as a kind of a sandbox to learn the mechanics.

Tables

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #200 on: April 04, 2022, 05:14:36 pm »

I have been really into Antimatter Dimensions recently (mobile link on play store is the recommended way to play, also available in a less updated version online). It's probably the best idle game I've played yet. For those unfamiliar it's a free to play idle (optional ads/purchases on the app but the game is totally balanced around never using them) inspired by idles such as Universal Paperclips and Derivative Clicker. It has many prestige layers, ever evolving mechanics and some very large numbers. There's a lot of reasons I like it:

* Allows built in automation of tedious tasks, gradually unlocking more and more automation as you progress

* It's not a clicker game. Mashing isn't going to help you here. Much, at least, there's a very small number of places it might get you an achievement early.

* Keeps things fresh by introducing new mechanics fairly frequently, without those new mechanics then completely dominating and taking over the game. Previous mechanics keep being relevant pretty much forever to some degree, and everything builds on it.

* Is more than just a "numbers go up" simulator at many points. You have to keep making changes to your setups to progress at a reasonable pace, and to fully optimise things you have to have a good understanding of the game's mechanics. There are always choices to make, without being overwhelming in how many things you have to do.

* For the most part, the game supports both an idle and an active playstyle. Just want to leave the game AFK for the most part and check like once or twice a day? You can do that. Want to constantly micromanage to maximise progress? Yep, that's often rewarded with faster progression. Some parts of the game are always more idle and others are always more active but most stages give a good mix.

* Surprisingly active Discord community for an idle game, with tons of help if you get stuck - or just wanna chat about the game.

* People speedrun it. No seriously, there's a guy on the discord who has "finished" the game in under 7 days. I say "finished" because the current endgame is e4000 EP and all achievements, and one achievement requires you to play for 8 days, which... yeah. But there's a few people who really try and push the game to its limits. Most people will take around 60+ days without guides on a first time through, and over a year isn't unusual if you're not very active.

* Lots of humour in the achievements and newsticker.

So yeah, if you've not played Antimatter Dimensions IMO it's worth a shot.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #201 on: April 05, 2022, 12:42:05 am »

Yeah I played AD through til the very end a couple of years ago. Don't remember how long it took, but I think multiple months. Was active in the discard and all that for a bit. fe000000, which I'm in the middle of now, is quite similar (built on the same concept, but then takes it new directions).

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 9 [All]

Page created in 0.363 seconds with 20 queries.