Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Trader/Gardens  (Read 1482 times)

jotheonah

• Jester
  • Respect: +952
    • View Profile
Trader/Gardens
« on: November 25, 2011, 02:00:25 pm »

So I finally saw Trader and Gardens on the same board today and decided to try it out. Contraband was also out so I bought a few, since it gives a plus buy and the drawback is no big deal in a Gardens deck. And Island was available.  I played it pretty inexpertly but I beat the Province player by one point with 53 cards in hand.  That was only buying one trader until fairly late in the game (mostly because I was using my 4 hands to grab Gardens and Islands initially). But in the late game, when I started Trader-ing my Contrabands to gain four cards before the buy phase, I realized there might be an optimal way to play this strategy by buying golds and other expensive cards rather than the normal Gardens play of buying two cheap cards and then just turning everything into silver once you have all the Gardens.  It's especially cool because that flood of Silver helps keep your deck from becoming the usual mire of green you get in a Gardens deck (though granted, the Islands were pulling their weight their too.)

So recognizing that my game was not exactly a textbook case (nor was it fantastically successful), I'm wondering how everyone feels about Gardens/Trader. Has anyone made it work really well? Has anyone failed spectacularly with it? Has anyone tried to simulate it? (I think figuring out optimal play would be super hard; I've only begun to tinker with Dominiate, my programming experience is one course in java in college, and this is well beyond my expertise).

Does this have Combo of the Day potential when the blog gets back in swing?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 02:04:38 pm by jotheonah »
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
Re: Trader/Gardens
« Reply #1 on: November 25, 2011, 03:38:50 pm »

Here are my two Gardens/Trader vs. Other games - I bought 6/5 Traders respectively.

mith 53-48 adept
mith 50-40 leads

No idea what's optimal against an opponent ignoring them, but that's what has worked for me. One thing that's nice with Trader vs. other Gardens enablers is that you can usually pick up some Provinces along the way, with the Silver density in your deck.

My other Gardens/Trader was a symmetrical game which ended on piles (Silver was the third, naturally).

mith 31-25 qmech
« Last Edit: November 25, 2011, 04:22:34 pm by mith »

Glooble

• Bishop
  • Respect: +61
    • View Profile
    • Solutions to Problems
« Reply #2 on: November 25, 2011, 04:55:57 pm »

Depending on how many Gardens you have, those Provinces might actually be worth more VP as 8 silvers.

I think town!Glooble pointing to something as a scum tell and then shortly thereafter doing that thing is a lot more likely than scum!Glooble doing that.

He/ Him

Check out my podcast: www.stppodcast.com

mith

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: mith
  • Respect: +778
    • View Profile
    • MafiaScum.net
« Reply #3 on: November 25, 2011, 05:08:32 pm »

Very true, but unless I'm keeping a very close eye on the number of cards in my deck I don't think I would risk it. I did in the second link (which is apparently first chronologically) and ended up with 6 Gardens and 59 cards - granted, having 8 Silvers in my deck instead of a Province affected the buys the rest of the game, so who knows how that would have ended up otherwise. In the first link, I only had opportunity to trash a Province on my final turn, and it would have cost me the game.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.527 seconds with 21 queries.