Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 61  All

Author Topic: MXL: The Philosopher's Mafia (Serial Killer wins!)  (Read 132256 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
    • View Profile
Re: MXL: The Philosopher's Mafia (Day 4)
« Reply #1250 on: April 20, 2014, 01:39:52 am »

We've got some time. I know I would like to re-read. And we need to hear from sudgy.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1251 on: April 20, 2014, 03:03:18 pm »

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, mafia just hasn't really been a priority for me lately.  I really wanted to do a re-read but I haven't gotten around to it and probably won't at least for a few days.

I think there's a really high chance it's either mcmc or joth, though neither of them particularly scream SK to me, but just by PoE...I know it's not me, pretty sure it's not Axxle or sudgy, and I guess whether I think Robz is a possibility will probably depend on my reread but right now I think it's just really unlikely.

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
    • View Profile
« Reply #1252 on: April 20, 2014, 04:28:25 pm »

Sorry, I was unexpectedly busy yesterday (and haven't really thought of much before that...).  Anyway, I have no idea.  And that is bad.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1253 on: April 20, 2014, 05:12:06 pm »

Sorry, I was unexpectedly busy yesterday (and haven't really thought of much before that...).  Anyway, I have no idea.  And that is bad.
do you have any town reads? When I'm lost I usually just sheep them, to pretty good effect in a recent game offsite

If you don't have town reads either I might have to reevaluate my read on you which I'd rather not do
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1254 on: April 21, 2014, 03:26:53 pm »

Okay, I re-read the whole game. Man, this is really hard. I think it's perfectly possible for each of Joth, mcmc, and Scotty to be the SK.

There isn't really a good reason for any of them to be the SK, and I'm worried none of them actually are. I am slightly concerned that it's Axxle, even though Axxle being SK is contradicted by all the actual claim/slot/PR action evidence that I have generally been relying on here. Of course, Axxle is also the one who has argued against me on all that time after time.

Well, this is just a sidebar, since I'm not going to overlook all that evidence.

I have no idea who it is, out of the three suspects. The re-read gave me absolutely nothing. All three were relatively close to meta, exhibited some survivalism, had periods of lurking and periods of activity. I mean, generally speaking, these are the three least active people from Day 1, and here they are.

My case on Joth is so thin it's barely a case... it's basically, he's been trying harder, he's had a little more self-awareness. He brought up the SK sooner than anyone else, as well. It's less than nothing, but I don't know what else to do.

Vote: Jotheonah

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1255 on: April 21, 2014, 10:38:15 pm »

Everybody, please post something saying why you are town.  I seem to remember having a role-related reason for thinking Robz is town, but I can't remember.  Hopefully this should help at least me.

Now, I'm town because as SK I would have gone for conversion, not Slot 9.  And I wouldn't fakeclaim cop then.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1256 on: April 21, 2014, 10:55:04 pm »

Everybody, please post something saying why you are town.  I seem to remember having a role-related reason for thinking Robz is town, but I can't remember.  Hopefully this should help at least me.

Now, I'm town because as SK I would have gone for conversion, not Slot 9.  And I wouldn't fakeclaim cop then.

Sudgy, we all believe you are town. If you're not, that's really weird, and we'e just going to lose. Ditto for Axxle, although the chance of him being SK is greater. Still, oh well.

My argument for why I am town: I got to go first in the draft. I could have picked Survivor and basically sealed my win from the start. Winning is the thing I care about most. I would not make a sub-optimal move on purpose. It's true that if I am SK I am in good shape to win now, but at the time we picked PRs, I couldn't have known that. SKs usually lose. I had the opportunity to switch from SK to survivor guaranteed. If you think I'm SK, you have to think I passed on that. I wouldn't have, and I didn't because I am not SK.

I advocate the Joth lynch.

If Joth is wrong, it'll be a hard call between mcmc and Scotty. And there is little point saying which way I lean, so I am likely to survive tonight anyway.

Axxle

• Torturer
  • Most Valuable Serial Killer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1257 on: April 21, 2014, 11:02:40 pm »

I was a staunch advocate for every scum read I have, which sk wouldn't do as it would draw nightkills if they're wrong. I attempted to save ash (although I got him killed), which sk wouldn't do as he'd want ash to keep finding mafia. I've been town all game?

Most town will have trouble answering this since only scum is self conscious of their own play.
We might be from all over the world, but "we all talk this one language  : +1 card + 1 action +1 buy , gain , discard, trash... " - RTT

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1258 on: April 21, 2014, 11:10:37 pm »

Most town will have trouble answering this since only scum is self conscious of their own play.

I'm self conscious of my own play as town.

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1259 on: April 22, 2014, 12:32:24 am »

I'm self conscious of my own play as town.

I was self conscious of my town play for a looong time.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1260 on: April 22, 2014, 12:38:27 am »

I don't know what else to do.

Confess to being the serial killer, maybe?

Everyone, one of two things is happening. Either we have a lurking serial killer amongst scott and mcmc who has no reason to stop lurking this close to a win or we have a maverick, WIFOMing, Xenatos Gambit serial killer in Robz who decided to go for the serial killer win, prepared a fake claim DEPENDENT on the fact that he could prove he had first pick of roles and chose not to convert, and is now coasting that to victory.

I suppose Axxle or sudgy could be SK on the same grounds, but Robz is the one that's raised everybody's radars. We're not bad players, our instincts are good, and I think now the best play is just to trust them.

Why am I town? Every single thing I've done this game has been pro-town, accept that I didn't try hard enough to stop the Andrew lynch last time when I realized he was probably not scum. In general though, I have gone out on a limb for other people more than once, and that is just not a thing that a serial killer, for whom any lynch is a good lynch, bothers to do.

Scott was at L-1 when I switched to ADK and deflected the wagon. That's the best thing I've done this game, and I was very proud of it. It doesn't prove I'm not the SK, I acknowledge. But it's also a weird move for the SK to make.

I've also drawn attention to myself and to the possibility of a serial killer a lot more times than the serial killer would have. I'm remembering one post from earlier in the game where no one was talking/thinking about the SK and I was like "BUt wait guys who's the serial killer?" That's the sort of thing the SK doesn't do.

Finally, I am pretty drunk and will be up a little while (maybe an hour) so AMA if you're into it.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

mcmcsalot

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: mcmcsalot
    • View Profile
« Reply #1261 on: April 22, 2014, 01:09:08 am »

I think my number pick and draft position makes sense from a town point of view. I would have picked a number lower than the number I was given in the signup list if I was the sk. I think my unvote if Adk only to eventually go back to Adk was towny since there
Would have been no reason to even move my vote as sk.
Wins: M19, M21, M23, M24, M26, M39, M91, M94, M102, M104, M107, M114, M115
Losses: M20, M22, M25, M27, M30, M31, M35, M38, M40, M42, M46, M60, M90, M93, M96, M98, M100, M101, M106, M111, M113
Winrate: 38.2%(13/34) 29.6%(8/27), 71.4%(5/7)

faust

• Board Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: faust
    • View Profile
Re: MXL: The Philosopher's Mafia (Night 3)
« Reply #1262 on: April 22, 2014, 01:40:04 am »

"History repeats itself, first as tragedy, second as farce."
- Karl Marx

Vote Count 4.2

jotheonah (3): Axxle, mcmcsalot, Robz888 (L-1)
Robz888 (1): jotheonah

Not Voting (2): sudgy, scott_pilgrim

With 6 alive, it takes 4 to lynch

Day 4 ends on April 28 at noon.
You say the ocean's rising, like I give a shit
You say the whole world's ending, honey it already did

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1263 on: April 22, 2014, 02:38:14 pm »

Scott, I'm waiting on you.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1264 on: April 22, 2014, 02:48:04 pm »

He's on now. Post something, Scott!

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
« Reply #1265 on: April 22, 2014, 02:54:08 pm »

Scott, I'm waiting on you.

Well I don't know what I can say, because I just went through the game doing things as normal, I didn't do anything in particular to make myself look townie (I feel like if I did that would be scummy).  I mean it's hard to defend myself against the case of "it's not sudgy or Robz or Axxle" because I agree with that, and honestly neither of joth or mcmc looks particularly scummy, so I can't make myself look townie in comparison to them either.

I know that's a totally unhelpful response, but I just don't know what I can do to convince you that I'm town because I didn't do anything for the sake of making myself look townie.  When I re-read D3 and D4 (which I'm about to start after I post this) maybe I'll find something scummy about joth or mcmc, but otherwise I'm not sure what I can say...

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: MXL: The Philosopher's Mafia (Day 3)
« Reply #1266 on: April 22, 2014, 03:04:49 pm »

This is interesting, joth basically claims VT before he has to (but not number, slot, etc.):

I'm a little worried this plan ends with me mislynched though. I won't say any more about that yet. I also worry about the snag Robz found.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
    • View Profile
Re: MXL: The Philosopher's Mafia (Day 3)
« Reply #1267 on: April 22, 2014, 03:21:35 pm »

Ok, so here's the rough part.

I didn't really read the setup and I didn't know how drafting worked when I did it.

So I picked 33, which in retrospect seems obnoxiously high.

I tried for mafia cop.

I got VT.

I'm not sure what to think of this.  This would be a very safe fakeclaim if he's SK since he was second to claim (what are the odds someone else would have picked 33).  I would need to think a little more to figure out if there would be any cases where he would really need to lie (and if he did, why would he say he picked slot 3).  Actually that would be a very odd lie since he's still caught if someone else had 11th pick and I can't think of a case where the lie benefits him.  So it's either SK telling the truth, or town telling the truth...which is not helpful...

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1268 on: April 22, 2014, 03:34:48 pm »

I think Robz is town because of those role-related reasons.  If we don't lynch the SK today, I'll consider him more, because his play makes me think of an SK.

Almost everybody gave, what I thought, to be a very towny response to my question.  "Uh, I don't know, maybe this?"  There was one exception.  It's pretty obvious who that exception is.  I would vote joth now if he weren't at L-1.  I'll hammer him if it gets close to deadline.  Joth has a few other slightly scummy things that Robz has mentioned as well.

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1269 on: April 22, 2014, 03:59:25 pm »

Sudgy, I would advise simply hammering now. I want to find out if we win, and it's not like this discussion is going anywhere.

sudgy

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #1270 on: April 22, 2014, 04:00:28 pm »

Sudgy, I would advise simply hammering now. I want to find out if we win, and it's not like this discussion is going anywhere.

Alright, I'll give joth one last time to respond.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1271 on: April 22, 2014, 04:23:45 pm »

If we don't lynch the SK today, I'll consider him more, because his play makes me think of an SK.

I really hope you're serious about that.

What's going to happen now is you're going to hammer me.

I'm going to flip town.

Tomorrow will be LyLo.

The temptation will be to lynch Scott Pilgrim.

If you do that we will almost certainly lose the game.

I'm pretty certain it's Robz and that, failing that, it's mcmc. I think this is a time when deduction and PoE are getting us nowhere and, in fact, leading us astray, and we should be trusting our gut. And, answer honestly, who in this town is not getting a gut read on Robz, or has not at some point in the last two game days. He's got to be the SK. It's the only thing that makes sense. Lynch him, don't lynch me.
"I know old meta, and joth is useless day 1 but awesome town day 3 and on." --Teproc

He/him

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1272 on: April 22, 2014, 04:25:06 pm »

also this is an example of something very scummy Robz has said

He/him

Robz888

• Margrave
    • View Profile
« Reply #1273 on: April 22, 2014, 04:31:21 pm »

It's just, I'm anxious to see your flip.

jotheonah

• Jester
    • View Profile
« Reply #1274 on: April 22, 2014, 04:35:31 pm »

It's just, I'm anxious to see your flip.

And then to orchestrate one more mislynch and win the game, I know. But you just have to be patient.

He/him
Pages: 1 ... 49 50 [51] 52 53 ... 61  All

Page created in 0.113 seconds with 20 queries.