Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Author Topic: Goko Is Games That No One Can Play  (Read 55235 times)

Robz888

• Margrave
  • Shuffle iT Username: Robz888
  • Respect: +3388
    • View Profile
Goko Is Games That No One Can Play
« on: February 06, 2014, 12:40:00 am »
+5

Earlier today, it was lagging horribly.

Then it was doing that thing where the game starts, but doesn't actually start.

Now it won't even let me create a game.

I mean, seriously.
I have been forced to accept that lackluster play is a town tell for you.

Beyond Awesome

• Global Moderator
  • Shuffle iT Username: Beyond Awesome
  • Respect: +2466
    • View Profile
Re: Goko Is Games That No One Can Play
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2014, 12:57:18 am »

I feel your pain.

hdu88

• Navigator
  • Respect: +13
    • View Profile
    • Youtube account
« Reply #2 on: February 06, 2014, 01:47:59 am »

I thought the game not actually starting was an issue on my end, but it looks like other people are having this problem too. I need to shake off the rust before GokoDom dammit!  >:(
"He looks like he doesn't know what he's doing, and then he wins."

Joseph2302

• Jester
  • Shuffle iT Username: Joseph2302
  • "Better to be lucky than good"
  • Respect: +575
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2014, 06:26:29 am »

was trying to play someone last night (UK time), and had this issue 4 times before we managed to actually play a game :(
Mafia Stats: (correct as of 2017)
Town: 22 games, 8 wins
Scum: 5 games, 3 wins

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2014, 07:23:33 am »
+5

Fly on the wall...
"People are saying so many mean things about us I think it might be time to change our name again"
"But won't people just keep saying mean things about us using our new name? I mean changing our name from "FunSocket" to "Goko" didn't really fix anything"
"Not if we don't tell anybody what our new new name is..."

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2014, 08:59:46 am »
+6

Goko had this posted on their facebook page:

Hello! We are currently in the process of migrating production environments and transitioning to new hardware, which is the cause of the current problems you might be experiencing. It's a big big effort and we're investing a lot of resources in the hopes of a better experience in the near future, but we know it's causing problems in the short term. A big "Thank You!" to the players who have provided constructive comments and information to help us troubleshoot.

so that might be why no one could play last night. But I think the more pressing question is why in the world did they 1. schedule this w/o telling anyone 2. schedule it for a peak playing time and 3. not just shut down the site so people wouldn't try over and over again to get something to happen that wouldn't work.

Goko's problem isn't just its appalling lack of technical abilities but also its complete lack of public relations and consumer satisfaction capabilities.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Kirian
  • An Unbalanced Equation
  • Respect: +9411
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2014, 09:20:41 am »

Hello! We are currently in the process of migrating production environments and transitioning to new hardware, which is the cause of the current problems you might be experiencing. It's a big big effort and we're investing a lot of resources in the hopes of a better experience in the near future, but we know it's causing problems in the short term. A big "Thank You!" to the players who have provided constructive comments and information to help us troubleshoot.

so that might be why no one could play last night. But I think the more pressing question is why in the world did they 1. schedule this w/o telling anyone 2. schedule it for a peak playing time and 3. not just shut down the site so people wouldn't try over and over again to get something to happen that wouldn't work.

Goko's problem isn't just its appalling lack of technical abilities but also its complete lack of public relations and consumer satisfaction capabilities.

They cannot be transitioning to new hardware while the site is running.  That is, I believe, a literal impossibility.  You can transition piecemeal, but I have difficulty believing that Goko is distributed across a dozen machines.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Witherweaver
  • Respect: +7861
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2014, 09:31:41 am »
+9

They cannot be transitioning to new hardware while the site is running.  That is, I believe, a literal impossibility.  You can transition piecemeal, but I have difficulty believing that Goko is distributed across a dozen machines.

Really?  I imagine it being distributed across a dozen of these:

yuma

• Minion
  • Respect: +609
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2014, 11:44:52 am »

that is beyond my knowledge. i am just passing along the message and showing my disgust and frustration...

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2014, 02:38:36 pm »
+1

Really?  I imagine it being distributed across a dozen of these:

Still a better operating system than Windows.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 06, 2014, 02:40:45 pm »

Even if they just run it across 2 servers, they can shut down one; start it back up on new hardware, then shut down the other and do the same. There will be a period where it's just running on one server instead of 2, thus it will be slower, but it doesn't have to go down completely.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2014, 05:33:15 pm »

Even if they just run it across 2 servers, they can shut down one; start it back up on new hardware, then shut down the other and do the same. There will be a period where it's just running on one server instead of 2, thus it will be slower, but it doesn't have to go down completely.

Sure, I understand that, I just have difficulty believing Goko is sophisticated enough to have it running on multiple machines.
Kirian's Law of f.DS jokes:  Any sufficiently unexplained joke is indistinguishable from serious conversation.

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2014, 05:33:53 pm »
+3

I just said "have difficulty believing X" in two separate posts in the same thread.  I'm starting to sound like myself.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2014, 05:46:12 pm »

To be fair, there's a lot that's difficult to believe when it comes to Goko.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

Kirian

• Adventurer
  • An Unbalanced Equation
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2014, 05:51:15 pm »

To be fair, there's a lot that's difficult to believe when it comes to Goko.

Maybe Goko should hire the White Queen!

cactus

• Apprentice
  • Then: longtime lurker. Now: occasional poster.
  • Respect: +348
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 07, 2014, 02:29:07 am »
+5

I just said "have difficulty believing X" in two separate posts in the same thread.  I'm starting to sound like myself.
You may actually be yourself.

You should probably check.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12847
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2014, 07:04:07 am »
+4

You may actually be yourself.

You should probably check.
No, he's WanderingWinder. Just like everyone else here.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

Grujah

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +1177
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2014, 09:18:03 am »
+4

Hello, this is John Welch, the CEO of Making Fun, the folks working with Goko to manage and improve Dominion Online. I wanted to give you a bit more detail on what is going on behind the scenes...

We are nearly complete on a major project to completely re-build the Dominion Online production environment. Until we push the new system live we must divide our attention between diagnosing and fixing urgent problems in the live environment and building the new environment. Believe me, we want to be done with both tasks so we can get back to fixing gameplay bugs, making improvements to the technology, adding new content and features, and working on the mobile versions.

Keeping the live site working isn't as simple as just rebooting the servers every night at 3am. There is almost always some new mystery that we need to solve to make a fix. Yesterday when some people couldn't start games we eventually figured out that one of the disks had filled up. If you were assigned to that server, you couldn't start a game. Meanwhile, other people were happily playing. Once he knew what happened, our lead engineer cleared disk space and changed a setting to reduce logging. Previously, it was Twitter changing their tech out from under us; people who authenticated via Twitter all of a sudden couldn't log in at all. It wasn't obvious that the problem was isolated to Twitter until we really dug in. The good news is when things like this happen we learn from the problem and we can try to ensure that particular thing won't recur in the new deployment.

I hesitate to give a specific live date as we expected to be live already. The system is complicated. There are 29 different physical servers running in the new deployment, each with multiple software services. Each time we think there is only one more thing we find yet another thing. For example, yesterday we realized we needed a new SSL certificate for secure client-server and server-server logins. Now we have that in place and we are trying to get the servers talking again.

We are hopeful to have configurations mostly completed tomorrow, so we can enter a formal system test phase over the weekend and next week. That testing will inform us as to how close we are to going live. What we don't want to do is push a version that has more problems than the current system.

I know you have been frustrated with things for a while now. The folks who have been around for a long time as well as the newer people like me all feel your pain. We are doing our best to get the new system live ASAP so we can get on with the fun stuff. Thanks for hanging in with us. Better times are coming soon!

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2014, 09:54:05 am »

Yesterday when some people couldn't start games we eventually figured out that one of the disks had filled up. If you were assigned to that server, you couldn't start a game.

"Eventually".  Wouldn't you, uh, kind of know right away when a server disk was full?  I mean I'm not a computer guy or an IT guy or anything, but it seems like this is the kind of thing you want to know about at a basic level.

Stealth Tomato

• Minion
  • Dorkneel
  • Respect: +480
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 07, 2014, 10:58:48 am »
+3

I mean I'm not a computer guy or an IT guy or anything, but it seems like this is the kind of thing you want to know about at a basic level.

It is extraordinary how much different stuff can go wrong, and how difficult it is to monitor for all of it. You set up checks for what you can think of / have seen in the past, and when something different happens, all you really know is that it's not any of the things you've set up checks for.

If I learned one thing in a computer science education, it's to never assume any job or system anywhere ever is as simple as it seems on the surface.

Witherweaver

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 07, 2014, 11:04:45 am »

I mean I'm not a computer guy or an IT guy or anything, but it seems like this is the kind of thing you want to know about at a basic level.

It is extraordinary how much different stuff can go wrong, and how difficult it is to monitor for all of it. You set up checks for what you can think of / have seen in the past, and when something different happens, all you really know is that it's not any of the things you've set up checks for.

If I learned one thing in a computer science education, it's to never assume any job or system anywhere ever is as simple as it seems on the surface.

Yes well I understand that, and I'm sure if I was going to set up all this stuff there would be a large learning process and a lot of mistakes made.. on the other hand, I'm not a professional.  This just seems like something an experienced IT person would do.

pinkymadigan

• Moneylender
  • Respect: +185
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 07, 2014, 11:57:45 am »
+2

My guess is that disk monitoring was assumed to be set up, but was not. Easy to miss when changing tech teams wholesale, which it sounds like they did a number of times. It is a pretty basic thing you should have, though. I know every place I've worked in IT I've got an email when a disk on an important machine was at various percentages remaining space (25% remaining, 10% remaining, 5% remaining, etc).

eHalcyon

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +9187
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 07, 2014, 12:26:14 pm »
+4

This big plus I see is that the new crew seems much more open and willing to talk, and they aren't too shy about disclosing problems and mistakes. 

sudgy

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: sudgy
  • It's pronounced "SOO-jee"
  • Respect: +2706
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: February 07, 2014, 12:31:18 pm »

Also, bugs can come from the stupidest places.  I had a program one time involving hitboxes, and I was assigning the values of the hitbox's x and y to two other variables (x and y).  I said this:

Code: [Select]
hitbox.x = x
hitbox.x = y

Some bug happened where the object was going through walls and stopping randomly, and it made no sense whatsoever.  It took me ages, but I finally realized I changed the hitbox's x twice instead of it's x and y.
If you're wondering what my avatar is, watch this.

Check out my logic puzzle blog!

Quote from: sudgy on June 31, 2011, 11:47:46 pm

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 07, 2014, 12:33:25 pm »

This big plus I see is that the new crew seems much more open and willing to talk, and they aren't too shy about disclosing problems and mistakes.

That actually is very good. And they're probably having trouble dealing with bad coding, which takes a lot of time and work. So I'm not too concerned and I do think they'll be able to fix at least a few things.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 8  All

Page created in 0.059 seconds with 20 queries.