Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: If Soothsayer Gave Coin Tokens, How Many Coin Tokens Would It Give?  (Read 2026 times)

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +514
    • View Profile
+2

Soothsayer is often described as the only curser that is not thematic to its set. (I feel Mountebank is a little tenuous, but okay).

But what if it gave coin tokens instead of a gold? How would that work? It would be thematic, but I don't have a good handle on how many tokens it should give to be roughly as powerful as it is now, and I don't have enough experience with the game to make an informed decision.

After all coin tokens are less powerful than treasure in that they are one-shot, but more powerful in that they can be used as needed and don't take up deck space. So would 3 be a good amount of tokens, or is that too few or too many to keep Soothsayer at its current cost?

Tables

• Margrave
  • Build more Bridges in the King's Court!
  • Respect: +3349
    • View Profile
Re: If Soothsayer Gave Coin Tokens, How Many Coin Tokens Would It Give?
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2014, 12:03:19 am »
+2

Hmm, at first I wanted to say 3 coin tokens was obviously too many, but actually, I'm not so convinced any more. I think 2 coin tokens is probably still more likely the right amount, though - mainly because Soothsayer's attack is not really anywhere near as strong as other cursers. I haven't played it much, but it's still probably strong enough that 2 coin tokens is enough.

Coin tokens are really strong, though. Gaining X coin tokens is a much stronger effect that getting +$X, and it's kind of easy to overlook that. Gaining 3 coin tokens is much stronger than a Terminal Gold, although it's probably not very interesting and strong but balanced as a $5 effect. Add a cursing attack on top, though, and that's probably much too far strength wise.

If you wanted to test a coin token Soothsayer, I'd start with 2 coin tokens.
...spin-offs are still better for all of the previously cited reasons.
But not strictly better, because the spinoff can have a different cost than the expansion.

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2014, 02:14:28 am »

I'm inclined to say 2.

In giving it coins, you can compare it to Explorer, but Explorer's treasures remain in your deck.
The power of Soothsayer comes from the fact that you can use those Golds multiple times. +X tokens is obviously better than +$X, but "gain a S/G" can be better at times than just gaining the same amount of tokens.

Still I think 3 is too powerful because of the flexibility of the tokens, so I think 2 is alright.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

Qvist

• Mountebank
  • Shuffle iT Username: Qvist
  • Respect: +4085
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2014, 02:46:16 am »
+2

A big disadvantage in Soothsayer is that it doesn't gain the Gold in your hand or even on top of your deck. Also while gaining Gold is great it decreases the possibility to draw Soothsayer again.

So, you can surely change the card into coin tokens, but it'll be a totally different card. That makes it hard to balance. Maybe you can make the coin tokens only usable from the following turn on?

NoMoreFun

• Mountebank
  • Respect: +2127
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 30, 2014, 06:14:38 am »
+3

I wish the opponents draw a card was a coin token. Topdeck the gold if that's too weak.

Eran of Arcadia

• Apprentice
  • Respect: +514
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 30, 2014, 07:32:57 pm »

Well, Witch costs the same and doesn't give opponents +1 card in addition to the curse, so the number of coin tokens it gives should be roughly equal to the expected average value of 2 cards. What that is depends on the deck, of course, but drawing 2 coppers doesn't seem that unreasonable I guess, which means the flexibility of the tokens cancels out the benefit to the opponent. So maybe I will try it with 2.

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5460
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 30, 2014, 07:59:42 pm »
+8

Soothsayer is bald.
Well you *do* need a signature...

florrat

• Minion
  • Shuffle iT Username: florrat
  • Respect: +748
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 30, 2014, 10:28:34 pm »
+1

Soothsayer is bald.
If I hadn't read the secret histories (which fortunately aren't that secret), then I would think this was another attempt to drag the thread off-topic as fast as possible.

(of course, now my post is such an attempt)
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.04 seconds with 20 queries.