Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Addict- Play treasure during your Action phase  (Read 6920 times)

jamespotter

• Navigator
  • Respect: +45
    • View Profile
Addict- Play treasure during your Action phase
« on: January 27, 2014, 11:02:34 pm »
+1

I had an idea for a card that would let you use treasures for cards, and also get the cool effect of playing them during your action phase:

Addict
Cost:3
[Action]
Play a treasure card from your hand. +2 cards per $1 it produces.

A Drowned Kernel

• 2015 World Champion
  • They/Them
  • Respect: +1980
    • View Profile
Re: Addict- Play treasure during your Action phase
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2014, 01:10:12 am »

I can't think of any rules problems off the top of my head but it seems pretty powerful for a $3. You get +4 cards just for having this and a Silver in your hand, and you don't even have to discard or trash the silver? Compares pretty favorably with Stables if you ask me, considering that it gets even crazier with Gold or Platinum.
The perfect engine
But it will never go off
Three piles are empty

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2014, 01:17:13 am »

I can't think of any rules problems off the top of my head but it seems pretty powerful for a $3. You get +4 cards just for having this and a Silver in your hand, and you don't even have to discard or trash the silver? Compares pretty favorably with Stables if you ask me, considering that it gets even crazier with Gold or Platinum.

Does Venture produce $1, or $1 plus whatever it finds?

AJD

• Cartographer
  • Shuffle iT Username: AJD
  • Respect: +4443
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 28, 2014, 01:22:44 am »
+3

Does Venture produce $1, or $1 plus whatever it finds?

Venture produces $1.

jamespotter

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: January 28, 2014, 01:45:56 am »

This might be overpowered, but it does require a collision with the Silver and is terminal. Perhaps it should cost $5, though... I hadn't considered how often it would be better than Smithy.

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 28, 2014, 05:43:24 am »

It's also worth noting that, as written, it still gives you the money value of the treasure, so there's literally no penalty.  At the very least, this plus a copper is 'play both cards then replace them', this plus a silver is 'play both cards, then replace them and draw 2' etc etc etc.  At 3, it strikes me as fairly overpowered by compasion with Smithy ($4, draw 3 cards), plus massively biasing the player towards BM anyway - this in a BM deck would be very strong, it makes your +draw better the better your treasure is.

It would probably be decent if it included a clause about not getting the coin value of the treasure when you play it this way, or if it were 'DISCARD the treasure and draw equal to its coin value, but then you're not playing the treasure, so...

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #6 on: January 28, 2014, 05:49:21 am »

What about

$4 Action
+1 Action
You may play a treasure card from your hand. If you do, +1 card per $1 it produces.
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 28, 2014, 10:28:23 am »

What about

$4 Action
+1 Action
You may play a treasure card from your hand. If you do, +1 card per $1 it produces.

That's still pretty good. I still ply my Golds and get a lab effect. Plus it's pretty bonkers with Poor house.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: LastFootnote
  • Respect: +10722
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: January 28, 2014, 10:37:28 am »

I like "+1 Card per $1 it produced". It's true that it would probably need an additional buff, but I think I'd rather see something other than +1 Action. +1 Buy, maybe? Something else?

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12868
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #9 on: January 28, 2014, 10:45:15 am »

What about

$4 Action
+1 Action

That's still pretty good. I still ply my Golds and get a lab effect. Plus it's pretty bonkers with Poor house.
It's still pretty good, yes, but I think it's weaker than Laboratory. If you have 5 of these, you also need 5 Silvers to make them Laboratories (and they also need to connect, though that shouldn't be too difficult). And then you need 5 Golds to make them all better than Laboratories.

I don't know, maybe it could cost $5. Perhaps with an on-gain "you gain a Silver" effect?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 28, 2014, 10:48:50 am »
+1

I just want to say thank you for saying "per $1 it produces" instead of "per $1 it is worth".

But yeah, I think it's way too strong. Too easy to be +4 cards. As written, I think it would be a strong $5, but I think it would be better to tweak the ability than to up the cost.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 28, 2014, 10:57:55 am »

But yeah, I think it's way too strong. Too easy to be +4 cards. As written, I think it would be a strong $5, but I think it would be better to tweak the ability than to up the cost.

What if it still gave +2 Cards per Coin produced, but then trashed the Treasure? So for Copper you'd be restoring your handsize like Spice Merchant, but with +$1 instead of +1 Action. With better Treasures, you'd get significantly better draw.

zporiri

• Golem
  • Shuffle iT Username: zporiri
  • Go, and do likewise.
  • Respect: +130
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 28, 2014, 11:43:45 am »

this would be even better than black market with tactician. it would be absolutely bonkers lol. you can play a silver and turn it into a lab, and not have to discard it when you play the tactician
Go, and do likewise.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 11:58:36 am »

What if it still gave +2 Cards per Coin produced, but then trashed the Treasure? So for Copper you'd be restoring your handsize like Spice Merchant, but with +$1 instead of +1 Action. With better Treasures, you'd get significantly better draw.

Sounds kind of like Apprentice.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 12:09:33 pm »

Sure, but:

• It's terminal.
• It's way cheaper.
• It only works on Treasures.
• It gives +Cards based on something other than cost.
• It plays the card before trashing it.

I think it's sufficiently different to be interesting. Dominion probably has room for two cards with a "Trash a card for draw" mechanic when they're this dissimilar.

KingZog3

• Cartographer
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: January 28, 2014, 12:37:37 pm »

Sure, but:

• It's terminal.
• It's way cheaper.
• It only works on Treasures.
• It gives +Cards based on something other than cost.
• It plays the card before trashing it.

I think it's sufficiently different to be interesting. Dominion probably has room for two cards with a "Trash a card for draw" mechanic when they're this dissimilar.

Yeah, I guess you're right that it is different enough. It feels like Counterfeit mixed with Apprentice.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: January 28, 2014, 12:42:08 pm »

this would be even better than black market with tactician. it would be absolutely bonkers lol. you can play a silver and turn it into a lab, and not have to discard it when you play the tactician

But large handsize completely anti-synergizes with Tactician.  If you're going to be discarding all those cards you draw anyway, there's not much benefit to drawing.

That's actually one of the things I don't like about drawing per $ produced.  Usually playing treasures during your action phase has cool combos with draw-to-X and Tactician, but since the reward for the treasure you play is to draw, those cool combos don't work.

LastFootnote

• Adventurer
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: January 28, 2014, 12:53:29 pm »

Sure, but:

• It's terminal.
• It's way cheaper.
• It only works on Treasures.
• It gives +Cards based on something other than cost.
• It plays the card before trashing it.

Yeah, I guess you're right that it is different enough. It feels like Counterfeit mixed with Apprentice.

Perhaps most significantly, it's way better at trashing Coppers than Apprentice and it can't trash Estates.

jamespotter

• Navigator
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: January 28, 2014, 01:11:37 pm »

I just want to say thank you for saying "per $1 it produces" instead of "per $1 it is worth".

You're welcome. That is actually one of the defining concepts of the card, as you cannot determine a treasure card's value until it has been played.

I like "+1 Card per $1 it produced". It's true that it would probably need an additional buff, but I think I'd rather see something other than +1 Action. +1 Buy, maybe? Something else?
I think this is the option I like best, mostly because I am planning to use this card in a set, and it needs some +buy cards. So the new card text would read:

Addict
Cost:$3
[Action]
+1 buy
Play a treasure card from your hand. +1 card per $1 it produces.

thespaceinvader

• Minion
  • Respect: +120
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: January 29, 2014, 08:29:28 am »

But large handsize completely anti-synergizes with Tactician.  If you're going to be discarding all those cards you draw anyway, there's not much benefit to drawing.
Not if you can play what you draw for money first.  Tactician loves big hands if they're full of Minions, Pawns, Festivals and Fishing Villages.

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10765
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: January 29, 2014, 02:50:05 pm »

Might possibly be too similar to Counterfeit.. trash treasures for benefit based on what that treasure produces...

*Edit* I see this has been mentioned already. Yeah, a Terminal Counterfeit + Apprentice (with some Spice Merchant). Could be fun.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2014, 02:52:00 pm by GendoIkari »
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.053 seconds with 21 queries.