Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Edge Case Challenge: Drawing a Blank  (Read 5326 times)

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
Edge Case Challenge: Drawing a Blank
« on: January 23, 2014, 09:17:29 pm »
+5

The base set and some expansions come with blanks.  If you lose a card, you can write out the necessary info on a blank and use it as a replacement.  The blanks have the standard backs, but it will be evident that it is the blank when reading the front.

What are some edge cases where this difference would impact the game?  I have a couple in mind.
Well you *do* need a signature...

heron

• Saboteur
  • Shuffle iT Username: heron
  • Respect: +1183
    • View Profile
Re: Edge Case Challenge: Drawing a Blank
« Reply #1 on: January 23, 2014, 09:49:32 pm »
+6

Maybe you were about to three-pile in a three player game and you are player one, but you don't know if you're in the lead due to masquerade uncertainty; player 3 might have been passed an estate which would let them win. When they play the blank, you know that they had not been passed an estate since player 2 gained it and only 1 masquerade had been played. Therefore, you know that you can safely three-pile and beat player 3 by 1 point.

DG

• Governor
  • Respect: +2624
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 23, 2014, 10:06:49 pm »
+2

You may be able to tell that the blank card was passed in a masquerade.
When a card type is revealed on two occasions, the blank can give extra information on whether it is the same card twice or the blank plus another.

dondon151

• 2012 US Champion
  • Respect: +1856
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 23, 2014, 11:40:12 pm »
+8

In order to activate your Menagerie, you discreetly erase the card name on the blank and replace it with something else.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #4 on: January 24, 2014, 05:29:34 am »
+1

In order to activate your Menagerie, you discreetly erase the card name on the blank and replace it with something else.
"In my buy phase, I play a Torturer which is a treasure card and gives me $1".
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

GendoIkari

• Adventurer
  • Respect: +10741
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 24, 2014, 11:53:47 am »

If we count lack of good memory...

Your opponent buys the blank along with, say, his first Mountebank. A few turns later, you don't remember if he's shuffled since he bought that Mountebank, so you don't know if there's a chance of him playing (which would affect your decision to keep a Curse on top of your deck with Spy/Cartographer). But then he plays the blank. You now know that he has indeed shuffled.

Same thing can work with any card that you want to know if your opponent might already have access to, even just a Platinum towards the end of the game.
Check out my F.DS extension for Chrome! Card links; Dominion icons, and maybe more! http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=13363.0

Thread for Firefox version:
http://forum.dominionstrategy.com/index.php?topic=16305.0

WalrusMcFishSr

• Minion
  • An enormous walrus the size of Antarctica
  • Respect: +1793
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: January 24, 2014, 03:27:39 pm »
+8

Your opponent has two Treasure Maps, one regular and one written on a blank. He has one card in his deck, and you know he has the regular Treasure Map in his hand (but not the other one), because he revealed his hand for some reason.

Now he plays a Haven, draws the last card in his deck, and sets aside a card. Then he reshuffles and it's your turn. You play a Pillage. If you see the regular Treasure Map in his hand, you could probably safely make him discard something else, as you can be sure he did not set aside the Treasure Map. But if you see the other blank Treasure Map, you might be inclined to force him to discard that.

There is surely a much simpler and more general way to express this idea though
My Dominion videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/WalrusMcFishSr   <---Bet you can't click on that!

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 24, 2014, 04:18:54 pm »
+1

The player whose turn is using a Farming Village / Torturer engine. You see him draw a blank Torturer, and then he plays a live Torturer. You have three cards in hand that you want to keep so you know to gain the curse rather than discard.

Awaclus

• Adventurer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Awaclus
  • (´。• ω •。`)
  • Respect: +12846
    • View Profile
    • Birds of Necama
« Reply #8 on: January 24, 2014, 04:24:19 pm »

The player whose turn is using a Farming Village / Torturer engine. You see him draw a blank Torturer, and then he plays a live Torturer. You have three cards in hand that you want to keep so you know to gain the curse rather than discard.
Why would he play that live Torturer?
Bomb, Cannon, and many of the Gunpowder cards can strongly effect gameplay, particularly in a destructive way

The YouTube channel where I make musicDownload my band's Creative Commons albums for free

KingZog3

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +1380
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: January 24, 2014, 05:29:23 pm »
+4

Because the dead one can't hurt you.

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: January 30, 2014, 11:11:10 am »
+2

Edgecaseception:
Because he also has Goons in hand which he wants to play rather than Torturer. Playing the live Torturer first he makes you believe gaining a Curse would save a card of your hand when it doesn't.

cluckyb

• Conspirator
  • Respect: +169
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: January 30, 2014, 03:30:10 pm »
+1

Edgecaseception:
Because he also has Goons in hand which he wants to play rather than Torturer. Playing the live Torturer first he makes you believe gaining a Curse would save a card of your hand when it doesn't.

Well clearly if he reveals the live Torturer that is what he is trying to do so I shouldn't gain the curse! Unless he only wants me to think he has a Goons when really he forgot to play a village before hand and is out of actions but I'm too busy second guessing his move to notice

Davio

• 2012 Dutch Champion
  • Respect: +3412
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: January 30, 2014, 04:42:39 pm »
+3

Becomes harder to remember where you put your Stashes.

BSG: Cagprezimal Adama
Mage Knight: Arythea

SirPeebles

• Cartographer
  • Respect: +5459
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: January 30, 2014, 04:51:27 pm »

Yup, Masquerade and Stash were the examples I had in mind.
Well you *do* need a signature...

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5344
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: January 31, 2014, 12:35:06 pm »
+1

Becomes harder to remember where you put your Stashes.

Hmm... Assuming you actually
write out the necessary info on a blank and use it as a replacement
you can also draw something on the backside to make it recognizable.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 20 queries.