Dominion Strategy Forum

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Pages: [1]

Author Topic: Warrior Clarification  (Read 1943 times)

DLloyd09

• Baron
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
Warrior Clarification
« on: August 10, 2015, 07:15:11 am »
+3

I played a game last night where during my turn I played Page, followed by Warrior. My opponent had one card left in his deck at the time, which ended up being an Estate (and thus, would not have been trashed by the Warrior). Our question is: Should the Estate have been shuffled back into his deck before drawing the second card, or not? Or, more generally: Are all X cards for the Warrior attack drawn at once then discarded one at a time, or is it draw-then-discard (and possibly trash), repeated X times?

I think our confusion stems from the fact that while the card text suggests that it's one at a time:

For each Traveller you have in play (including this) each other player discards the top card of his deck and trashes it if it costs or .

The FAQ seems to imply that if multiple Travellers are in play, then all cards subject to the attack are drawn together:

Each player, in turn order, discards the appropriate number of cards from the top of his deck, trashing the ones costing or .

Thanks!

Asper

• Governor
  • Respect: +5347
    • View Profile
Re: Warrior Clarification
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2015, 08:01:58 am »
+5

I think the rule book just tries to be nice and easy to understand, so it uses a wording that oversimplifies the matter a bit. Warrior does the same thing once per Traveller in play ("for" loop, to talk information science), and that thing is "discard, possibly trash". So yes, it's sequential, the Estate is discarded and shuffled back in.

DLloyd09

• Baron
  • Respect: +46
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2015, 05:38:36 pm »

Thanks! That seemed the most likely result, but just wanted to be sure!

ephesos

• Explorer
  • Shuffle iT Username: Ephesos
  • Respect: +291
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: August 13, 2015, 09:27:56 am »

It's just like Doctor, where for each coin you overpaid, look at the top card of your deck: trash it, discard it, or put it back. So if you put it back, you get to look at the same card again and again.

You're not supposed to just look at them all at once; most people do anyway since there's only a few situations where you'd want to put something back to look at again and waste your remaining overbuy coins. But according to the rules, you do them one at a time.

scott_pilgrim

• Saboteur
  • Respect: +2146
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2015, 09:06:26 pm »
+4

You're not supposed to just look at them all at once; most people do anyway since there's only a few situations where you'd want to put something back to look at again and waste your remaining overbuy coins. But according to the rules, you do them one at a time.

I've never known anyone to do this, and I would think it makes a huge difference mechanically.  If I know my next five cards are KC, KC, Bridge, Bridge, Bridge, I'll leave the KC on top five times.  But if it's KC and 4 Curses, I'll discard the KC and trash the four curses.  If I don't know, I'll have a tough decision.
Pages: [1]

Page created in 1.98 seconds with 21 queries.